Boudreau: 'Theo Is Our No. 1 Goalie'

Coach Bruce Boudreau wouldn't divulge his starting goaltender for Saturday's game, but he did have this to say when asked if he planned to make an announcement this morning: "You'll see it in the warmup. But look it, it's not a big surprise -- Theo is our No. 1 goalie."

Boudreau was then asked when he planned to inform the goalies of his decision.

"When I feel it's appropriate," he said. "When you guys leave."

Pressed on the matter, Boudreau added: "It's never safe to assume anything. Assume what you want to assume. But I'm not saying anything. I will think Lundqvist is playing, though."

Theodore, meantime, said he's still preparing for tomorrow's game as if he's starting. He said that he hasn't discussed tomorrow with Boudreau. But that's not unusual, Theodore said.

"It was a tough game, but now I'm thinking about tomorrow's game and that's all," Theodore said. "Everything is just like usual. There's not much to talk about right now. He didn't say anything, but I'm assuming that I'm in."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 17, 2009; 12:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schultz Hurt? (Updated)
Next: Caps Have Some Fun

Comments

Good.

Posted by: irockthered | April 17, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Good for Theo. He deserves a second shot.

Do it again though? OUT.

Posted by: Semvechkin | April 17, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau was then asked when he planned to inform the goalies of his decision?

"When I feel it's appropriate," he said. "When you guys leave."

Yet another reason why Boudreau is the best coach in the NHL. Keep 'em guessing, Bou!

Posted by: irockthered | April 17, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

No he doesn't deserve a second shot. He's been bad all year. It's not like he's a 10 year caps veteran who deserves another chance because of what he's done for the team.

Posted by: 202-206 | April 17, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

one more period. Any weak goals and we better see the hook

Posted by: SeattleRob | April 17, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

What is the over/under for when Theo gets the gate tomorrow? I will say 10 minutes into the first period. I certainly hope not, but I don't see any other logical resolution.

Posted by: nomarjax01 | April 17, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

theo just may play a great game tomorrow.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | April 17, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@202-206

I'd have less trust in Kolzig than Theodore to recover from that type of performance. Its been well documented all season that Theodore goes on hot & cold streaks - and he usually needs a bad game to get him started.

Until experience proved weak, you go with it. One game is not weak - that's why it's a seven games series.

Posted by: Semvechkin | April 17, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

i was just at practice. ...they finished up the formal part of practice with a drill where they divided the team up into two teams. ..put about a dozen pucks on each blue line and then each team went one at a time against varly and theo to see which team could put the 12 pucks past the goalie first. . .theo LOST. . .now it must be noted that theo had to face OV, sasha, feds, green, and flash on his team, while varley only had to face the likes of nicky, koz, nylander, fehr, etc. .so it wasn't quite even, but varley looked extremely solid this morning. . .we were thinking that this drill wasn't doing much good for theo's confidence, thats for sure ....sure hope he steps it up if he is the starter tomorrow. . .

Posted by: madmax521 | April 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

This is the right decision. But on a short leash. If he lets in soft goals, yank him. If you start Varlamov, you ruin Theo's confidence. Then if Varly struggles, the team is screwed. Jose's been here before. Let's see if he's still got it in him to come back with a strong performance. If not, we'll see what the kid has.

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

No he doesn't deserve a second shot. He's been bad all year.

Since that game in late December at MSG he's been about .911 in save percentage which is about average and isn't spectacular by any stretch, but also isn't bad.

Posted by: capsbluelinedotcom | April 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@madmax

Marty Brodeur would have lost to Varlamov in that game if he had to face Ovie, Sasha, and Greener. I don't read anything into this.

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Theo's a competitive guy. All the guys are. Remember that horrid game agaisnt the Avs? Two days later, Theo was a brick wall and the rest of the team lit up the Flightless Fowl. They'll bounce back.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 17, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Goaltenders oftentimes win and lose playoff games on their own. Henrik won game one and Theo lost it. Short leash, indeed.

Posted by: wesvenis | April 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

okay Tarik, can we now stop beating this dead horse??? JT starts Saturday. did anyone really think otherwise?? next topic!!!!

Posted by: doughless | April 17, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -

Applying this to all journalists, not you specifically.

Is there a line that the media types understand that differentiates "getting the story" from being nothing more than a distraction to the team and its preparations? Or does the journalist covering the team recuse him or her self from such considerations? I'd think that those who cover the Caps would be interested in seeing the Caps advance, and would not seek to make a nuisance of themselves asking questions to which all observers already know the answer.

Posted by: shotfromthepoint | April 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

he effs this up, i'd want to ever see that frog in a caps sweater again.

you get paid to much to suck, ho-say. man up.

Posted by: jamebow | April 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

by the way; unless i drank an entirely inappropriate amount of beer on wednesday, there were 5 other guys out on the ice for the Caps (most of the time). Never saw the stretch with JT against the entire Rangers team. next topic!!!!!!

Posted by: doughless | April 17, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

of course i meant, "i wouldn't want to ever see that frog in a caps sweater again".

Posted by: jamebow | April 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts yesterday were that we had to start Varly. The risk of Theo laying another egg could mean wrecking everyone's confidence, including the fans. But now I'm thinking with an extra day to let it sink in, Theo is going to play a top-notch game, and hopefully our D will play their best game of the season (going to need to) and start blocking some shots and clearing the damn puck when it gets on their sticks.

Posted by: LouLewis | April 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I really cannot believe that so many of you have the gaul to say that Schultz is not an NHL caliber defenseman. Basically you are calling BB an idiot. The man has played 174 NHL games and is a quiet stay at home defenseman. He has low PIMs which means, even though you guys don't want to admit it, he plays outstanding positional hockey. I'm tired of hearing how everyone that thinks Schultz is a good defensman is an idiot. He played a regular shift on the 4th best team in the NHL this season. Not everyone can be as flashy as Green. Not everyone is willing to make a big hit like Erskine at the risk of missing an assignment. All these guys bring something different to the game that resulted in a 50-24-8 season. They also DOMINTATED the Rangers, and Theo layed an egg as predicted and LOST the game single handedly. If he would have done his part the game would not have been 3-3 with less than 10 minutes remaining. I do feel he will redeem himself. He doesn't have a choice, if he doesn't, he will not have a team interested in him after he's done with us. HIS future is riding on how he responds to this.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

there were 5 other guys on the ice. they were doing pretty well until homeslice lost the game all by himself.

Posted by: jamebow | April 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I would actually like to see Theo get a little angry if Avery come close to him...

A little fire in the belly would be a nice way to get the crowd behind him.

Im not saying take a penalty...just let him know you got a big paddle and will use it...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 17, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

ONLY one more sleep until you guys go down 2-0.....Thank god for Ana cause you would have been the only home team to loose the opener! "FOUR!"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 17, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Gall not "gaul."

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 17, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Theo will bounce back.

Per Japers Rink: "Historically, NHL squads that found themselves down 1-0 in a first-round best-of-seven after dropping the first game at home have gone on to win 49.3% of those series (thanks in part to a .681 Game 2 winning percentage)."

Posted by: SombreroGuy | April 17, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907: Please do NOT go away. I want you here for the entire ride. The Rangers will be lucky if they can extend this to a game 6. The Caps will dominate the rest of the series and Theo will be in line to do his part. No need to respond now just sit back and watch...enjoy...LET's GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 17, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If we were to win 6-4, and Jose stunk, what would happen? Just wondering. Would there be some sort of black hole that opened?

Posted by: saintex | April 17, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

i miss the 1940 chant....

Posted by: jamebow | April 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I seem to recall that Scotty Bowman was the master of goalie deception. He would tell goalie A he's starting and then start goalie B. I heard that this went over poorly with many goalies, but it sure worked a bunch. (It doesn't hurt to have a 4th line of future hall of famers like they did for awhile...)

As I said yesterday, there's a bunch of theories on handling goalies and the correctness of the theory changes regularly depending upon the last game's outcome.

Like most of the reasoned commenters, I'm certainly not sold on Theo, but I thought the stories over the last two days were encouraging. He knew he wasn't great, he thought through why that was and wants to fix it. Way better attitude then "I was screened" or "The D got beat" or whatever excuse.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 17, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

he effs this up, i'd want to ever see that frog in a caps sweater again.

you get paid to much to suck, ho-say. man up.

Posted by: jamebow | April 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

You stay classy and culturally tolerant, new Caps fan.

Posted by: Section117 | April 17, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

saintex, the only way a black hole could form is if Schultz or Theo is somehow awarded a game 7 OT penalty shot and they score.

Posted by: koalatek | April 17, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907, you sir can go blow a goat.

We need to get to Henrik early tomorrow. A nice 2-0 intermission lead with a couple solid stops by Theo gets us going in the right direction. Although, this being the caps, and this being the playoffs, I'll believe it when I see it. Not being a pessimist or a hater but the mental breakdowns have to stop.

Go watch that OT goal from Game 7 a few times boys, that should get 'er goin.

Posted by: skinzfan4 | April 17, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@Section 117,

Thanks. Cultural slurs are not acceptable.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 17, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

saintex: Yes, if he were to give up 4 goals on 25 shots yes. If he wins a shootout and faces 40 and give up 4, NO, because he would at least have a 90% save percentage. Remember, it's not necessarily that he gave up 4 goals, the type of goals, and even his rebound control on his saves that has everyone's painties in a knot. If he gets hung out to dry, makes a couple of nice saves, like Thomas did when the Bruins and Canadiens were tied 2-2, we're not on Theo either. The fact is though, he didn't play well at all, and he didn't play well against FLA either. He's given up 10 goals in the last two games.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 17, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@fan, I agree on the type of goals. Like I said yesterday, there were two he should have stopped and that made the difference. I'm cool with Theo but that was his cross to bear...and he did. But, if we win 6-4, do we care too much how it all happened?

Posted by: saintex | April 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@saintex

I wouldn't be shocked to see Varlamov get the call in Game 3 under your scenario but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Theo back in there. History tells us that his problem is consistency in that he has a bad game every once in a while, not that he is consistently bad. He's undefeated in Round 1 of the playoffs so he can play well enough for this team to win.

Posted by: ouvan59 | April 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

If Theodore lets in the first shot against, what do we do? Can we panic then?

Posted by: thiazzi | April 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -

Applying this to all journalists, not you specifically.

Posted by: shotfromthepoint | April 17, 2009 12:32 PM

Posted by: dml1077 | April 17, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@saintex/koalatek

You guys crack me up. :)

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 17, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing about the 12 puck drill is there was no D I am assuming. I guess BB is practicing game situations after all. It really suprises me how the last could be pinned at all on Theo. It ended up being a 1 v 1 on Theo and the shot was from the bottom of the circle. To quote Matthew Barnaby in the ESPN chat (can't believe I am agreeing with him) "Avery should have been called for a penalty on Gomez's goal and Schultz should have been called for tripping himself on the Dubinski goal. They will bounce back and win the series."

Posted by: stillmisskellymiller | April 17, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now.

Posted by: Kevin9149 | April 17, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Rangers are still on the ice and they just got a scare.

Nik Antropov collided with Henrik Lundqvist during a drill, leaving the Rangers star netminder favoring his left arm/shoulder. Lundqvist hammered the glass with his stick in anger while noticeably stretching his left arm, which is his catching glove side.

But he stayed in net and didn't leave practice, so it can't be too bad. More on this later.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 17, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Schultz should have been called for tripping himself on the Dubinski goal."

Truer words were never spoken. At least not by Barnaby.

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

What was "Four!" for? Is that the number of games Caps have left to win... number of fingers?

Maybe from the dungeen of doom?

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Lines at Rangers practice:

Sean Avery-Scott Gomez-Nik Antropov
Markus Naslund-Chris Drury-Ryan Callahan
Lauri Korpikoski-Brandon Dubinsky-Nikolai Zherdev
Fredrik Sjostrom-Blair Betts-Colton Orr

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey, if I want the kid in the net, I would tell him to the very last minute. Otherwise he'd lose his sleep and damage will be done.

I think Varly will be in.

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 17, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"I would tell him to the very last minute"

oops, I would not tell him

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 17, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@828,

That's probably my fault for the comment I made yesterady about the Leafs being on the 15th hole already. I think he means "FORE" but can't spell.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 17, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 17, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

oldtime - I know what he meant... just calling him out.

Posted by: _828 | April 17, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Where is “Olie the Goalie" when you need him!!!!

Posted by: rehva | April 17, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Please, please read what fanohock1 posted about Schultz. I've defended Schultz here before, but he/she says it better than I ever have. There are lots of different kinds of defensemen who can provide value to a team. Please read and think about fanohock1's wisdom and stop trying to make happen what similar unappreciative fans did to Larry Murphy.

Posted by: JoeTink | April 17, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1 12:35pm post = best one since this awful game went down.

Posted by: Trambinator | April 17, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse