Boudreau: 'We stopped playing'

There was no getting around it in the locker room following practice at Kettler today: The Capitals let what should have been a win slip away in Ottawa last night. After a strong second period gave Washington a 3-1 lead heading into the third, the team's bad habit of taking costly penalties when there's an opportunity to go for the jugular reared its ugly head once again.

The Capitals have now lost four of their past five games and given up leads in all of those defeats. In fact, the Caps have held a lead in the second period or later in all 24 games this season and watched six different third-period leads slip away.

For that very reason, between the second and third periods, Coach Bruce Boudreau stressed how important it was to stay out of the penalty box and embrace a killer instinct to put the Senators away.

"I hate being an 'I told you so guy,' but I said to them exactly what was gonna happen," Boudreau recounted this morning. "I didn't say they were gonna come back and beat us in overtime, but we knew they were gonna come out, we knew we had to keep our sticks off the guys, but the thing we did when we showed the video today is we stopped playing. ...

"You have to be proactive and keep going at 'em... I think the guys wanted to play so solid, they didn't want to make a mistake, that they didn't move their legs. And when the other team is moving their legs and you're not moving yours, they're gonna have the puck in your zone the whole night."

It all culminated in overtime when Ottawa had several golden opportunities to score before Mike Fisher put the game-winner past goalie Semyon Varlamov. Defenseman Mike Green had a particularly lackluster extra session, committing a turnover in his own end only to be bailed out by Varlamov. He followed that up by being overly aggressive trying to land a hit in the neutral zone, setting up the odd-man rush that resulted in Fisher's goal. This morning he took full blame for his mistake, calling it a "mental error."

"It's in our head when we're going into the third period, whether we get nervous or sit back, we just try to hang onto our lead instead of going forward and pushing to try and score more goals maybe is a downfall for us," said Green. "But we know how to win games in the third period, we've done it in the past. We really have to regroup here and focus on the situation at hand. ... After this last weekend and what we've gone through, we're gonna play well tomorrow."

Other news and notes:

*Boudreau said he expects defenseman Milan Jurcina to play tomorrow night against Buffalo. Fellow blueliner Shaone Morrisonn skated at practice this morning, but Boudreau said he wasn't sure if he was questionable or probable for tomorrow night. After practice, Morrisonn said he planned to take the pregame skate, but that he "still feels a little foggy sometimes."

*An indication that he's more probable than questionable is the fact that the Caps sent John Carlson and Andrew Gordon back down to Hershey after practice this morning. Here's what Boudreau had to say about Carlson's three-game stint in the NHL:

"We thought his best game was his first game, and like everybody else in Toronto, he looked a little tired and I thought he was okay yesterday. Him and Sloan were the only defensemen that were plus, they competed hard, and you can tell he's gonna be a good defenseman."

*Alexander Semin, Tom Poti and Boyd Gordon all did not skate today and Boudreau said none would be available tomorrow. Alex Ovechkin also skipped today's practice, but Boudreau said it was simply to rest some bumps and bruises. He should be available tomorrow night.

*As for who will be in goal tomorrow night, Boudreau was non-committal, but he did have this to say about the situation between the pipes: "We have to be honest: Varly is playing pretty good. He's got the net and he's saying, 'I want the net.' Jose is ready to play, too; he's been practicing hard and playing hard. I think he's mentally focused to play. If he's back to the form he was in October, then, great."

*With Thanksgiving coming up in two days, Boudreau had the line of the day when asked if he would think about where he was two years ago at this time. (He took the head coaching reins over on Thanksgiving Day of 2007 after the Capitals fired former coach Glen Hanlon.)

"No," said Boudreau when asked. "I'll be thinking about what's for supper."

By Mark Giannotto  |  November 24, 2009; 2:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Plenty of Caps absent from practice
Next: Abe Pollin dies at age 85

Comments

the caps never lead in the second period of the det game. 1-1 after one and tied it up 2-2 in the third

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I can imagine that after Boudreau eats that Thanksgiving supper, Sean Avery will be able to tease him even more.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 24, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I <3 Boudreau.

Posted by: irockthered | November 24, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

bb should send Avery a box of sloppy seconds

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 24, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Are we supposed to care what Avery says or thinks? Bruce obviously doesn't.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | November 24, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy your Thanksgiving supper B.B.! I'm Thankful to have a winning team in Washington!
Someone should tease Sean Avery about being an average player who has to use cheap personal attacks and punch goalies in the head to get them off of their game bec his skill alone doesn't make him stand out.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 24, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

@cadlecreek1 - *snort* Good one!

Posted by: irockthered | November 24, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

3. steve y. and mario were centers and had more defensive responsibilities than the wings. never really thought of mario as a top notch defender, but it was a while ago.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 24, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Ovie carries the puck just as much as any center iceman out there.

Mario Lemieux became much better on defense just around the time when they started winning the Cup and it was no coincidence. He's still one of two players in the history of the NHL to score two short-handed goals during one penalty kill.

Posted by: joek443 | November 24, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

bb should send Avery a box of sloppy seconds

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 24, 2009 3:06 PM

Someone should sneak into the Rangers dressing room and fill Avery's skates with those sloppy seconds.

I'll bet Brett Hull would be willing to help.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 24, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

OK, joek443, who was the other?

Was one of Mario's also a penalty shot?

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 24, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet Brett Hull would be willing to help.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 24, 2009 3:19 PM

That would be hilarious.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 24, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@blake
I seriously doubt that every mistake you make is pointed out to you by all the people in your office and those that walk on the street by your office and don't even know who the eff you are. Criticize if you want. But you said it best - you are blowing off steam and just making a scapegoat. Maybe to make you happy we should sell off the whole team and just bring in people who would play hockey the way you want to see it played. But that probably wouldn't make you happy anyway. You would be upset by their haircuts or the way they tied their skates. I am not saying be nice and think about the children! I am saying that your criticism is old and unjustified. I am not a huge Schultz fan but I see when he makes good plays. And celebrate when he gets the occainsional goal. I get tired of seeing the team get ahead and then lose the game. But I don't have the experience to say that BB should do this or do that. What is your resume like that you have it?

@fanhock1
(from previous thread)
Green is living the Green Life afterall! My friend and I make fun of him all the time with that.

Posted by: mikesfan | November 24, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 - EEEEEEEEEEEEUW!!!!!!!!! Scarred for life!

I do not want to think about someone filling Avery's skates with sloppy seconds. That's just NASTY. :-p

Posted by: irockthered | November 24, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

I got that mixed up... Mario Lemieux is one of the two players in the NHL to have scored a 3 on 5 shorthanded goal... NOT two shorites in one penalty... the other was Mike Richards.

Lemieux does hold the most shorties in one season - 13

Posted by: joek443 | November 24, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

In many of these games we have not taken many penalties in the first 2 periods...right???

I have watched enough hockey to know that the refs have a quick whistle in the third when you havent been whistled much all game...

Any thoughts on that?

Posted by: SA-Town | November 24, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

the record for most shorties in one season - 13

Posted by: joek443 | November 24, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet Brett Hull would be willing to help.

Posted by: tominfl1

there are too many places to go with this - and they are all bad - very, very bad. i'll just leave it at: that's some funny stuff right there

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

actually I saw Lemieux score that 3 on 5 goal live on TV... it was a late night game against the Kings on espn2

Posted by: joek443 | November 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on that?

Posted by: SA-Town

YES they were not penalized in the first 40 minutes and YES the refs do try to keep things even by calling penalties in the 3rd so that both teams are at least close as far as chances.

Not to mention McQuiry really does hate the Caps and always seems to call ticky-tac penalties against us in the 3rd.

That being said, it is no excuse for yesterday's game.

Posted by: pkendrick | November 24, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Jump66: Sorry, but you've been assigned to the Doofus Brigade, P Company, for no other reason than you are from Pittsburgh.

I know, you can't help where you were born, but no one ever said life was fair.

Grab your weapon and start marching!

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 24, 2009 3:13 PM

Oh, but Jumpy66, you are 100% correct.

That doesn't change the fact that you're from Pittsburgh.

"Hut, two, three, four!"

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 24, 2009 3:15 PM |

@ tominfl1:

"Doofus Brigade"....ROTGDFLMMFAO! XD

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 24, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 24, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Not to hijack the thread, but the AHL outdoor game in Syracuse is now official. To those of you who aren't too familiar with Central New York, this is a HUGE deal for the Syracuse economy. Looking very forward to making the trek home for it.

Posted by: Fro_ | November 24, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Get off the ledge...tired and hurt team that was playing 3 games in four nights...I think they can be forgiven.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 24, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@ mikesfan

Obviously, you didn't read my post because I didn't criticize Green for making a mistake. But I'm not going to tell posters on this blog that they can't criticize someone. That's life. I'm not a chef, but if my dinner isn't cooked right, I'll let the chef know. Wouldn't you? Sometimes you can actually learn something from a person who is not as qualified as you. Like I said before, if the players or coaches are losing confidence in themselves over posts on the CI blog, there is something really wrong.

For the record:

1) When I make a mistake at work, people do criticize me. I might not get criticized on the same scale as a professional athlets, but I also don't get the same level of praise.

2) I was joking about scapegoating Theo and Semin. If this is not your first time reading this (or any other) blog, you'll understand.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 24, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

BTW...does anybody know the stat on how many shutouts-against each NHL team has?

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 24, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

We were looking for something to throw on the ice, how about half eaten turkey legs at Avery in place of BB sloppy seconds?

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 24, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Im not making an excuse...I just know as a fan I think...we have no penalties so far...we are going to go short this last period...

It always happens...

Posted by: SA-Town | November 24, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

cadlecreek1; How about a cinderblock?

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 24, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Abe Pollin passed away. RIP Abe.

Posted by: Fro_ | November 24, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

It always happens...

Posted by: SA-Town

Never said you were SA-Town. I am was saying that I was not making an excuse for the game.

Oh and did you all hear that Abe Pollin just died?

Posted by: pkendrick | November 24, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40:

4 - car, nash
3 - bos, edm, phx, pit
2 - mon, stl, van
1 - buf, chi, col, dal, la, nyi, sj
0 - atl, cal, cbj, det, min, nj, nyr, ott, phi, tb, tor, was

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

missed two teams

2 - ana, fla

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ...

Thanks for doing the research, d├╝uude! Saved my @$$ again!

I predict this separation will increase as the season rolls on, and WAS will be among the last to leave the "zero" group...which would be a good thing, yes?

Posted by: Rhino40 | November 24, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

One thing that isn't getting mentioned is that Ottawa really skated hard in the 3rd. They started playing much differently than they had earlier in the game. I'm not making excuses I'm just saying that when a team turns it on like that it can take you back a bit.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | November 24, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@BetterOffWithFedorov - Good point.

They always say that a 2 goal lead is the worst lead in hockey. It give you just enough confidence to ease up but is still close enough that the other team could come back.

Neil had a great tip for the 2nd goal and then they got the momentum. It's just the way the puck drops sometimes.

Posted by: pkendrick | November 24, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Abe Pollin died today at age 85 (confirmed from an earlier mention by another blogger).

I am very sorry to hear that and extend my condolences to his family and friends.

Without Abe Pollin I don't know if there would be an NHL team in DC. And, without the Caps I don't know that I'd be a hockey player.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | November 24, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Negative talk to your team usually results in a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why not a "We're going to go out in the third period play hard and win this thing" approach instead?

Posted by: Dalliquippa | November 24, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

My neighbor and I went in on season tickets together. He tends to offer me his tickets when he can't go. Yesterday was the first time I declined his offer. It's just not worth my time to watch the caps give up leads and bend over for teams like Toronto and Ottawa.

Also, I hate to say it, but I'm worried that Ovie may have reached his peak and is slowly (or maybe rapidly) declining from here on out. He just does not look right at all.

Posted by: Unleash_The_Caps | November 24, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

@Unleash_The_Caps

I don't think Ovi's past his peak. He's not even 25 years old yet. Last time I checked, 24 years old was not the age people reached their physical peak, including athletes. (Okay, that assumption goes out the window if a serious injury is involved but I don't think Ovi's current shoulder problems quite qualify as that.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 24, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

@Unleash_The_Caps

You fail, no need to turn down those tickets seeing as how the game was in Ottawa. Ovie on his decline? Please figure out where the game is before you make ridiculous statements such as this.

Posted by: eorr | November 24, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Did I read that right: Mo says he still feels foggy from time to time and he may be playing??? I surely hope for his sake that he takes it slow.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | November 24, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

@eorr

My bet is that Unleash_The_Caps' neighbor offered him tickets for tomorrow's game vs Buffalo.

But I agree with the sentiments you expressed in your last post.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 24, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

@ralCapsFan

I think Mo said he'd take the pregame skate. I agree -- anyone who's feeling foggy should take it slow.

Posted by: miseaujeu | November 24, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Unleash_The_Caps - your typical fair weather fan

Posted by: joek443 | November 24, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there's any question that Ovie came back too early from his injury. I don't know who made the call but it's a mistake.

as he gets older, he will have to change his style of play or he might end up having a short career like Cam Neely but to say that he has reached his peak is just ridiculous.

Posted by: joek443 | November 24, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Tarik missed an update with Abe Pollin passing. According to his Twitter, Alzner's been recalled.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 24, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse