Boudreau's New Charity and Other Notes

Here are a few development camp notes I didn't get around to posting earlier:

*Coach Bruce Boudreau announced a new charity he's spearheading, The Bruce Boudreau-John Anderson Celebrity Classic Golf Tournament. It's set for July 27 at Lionhead Golf and Country Club in suburban Toronto and it will benefit kids in the Greater Toronto Hockey League who have the talent - but not the money - to play on top travel teams.

"We're going to be able to pay their tuition, which is about $4,000 a year to play travel hockey," Boudreau said. "And then CCM is going to outfit them from head to toe. We want to give them a start, the opportunity to see how good they are. ...With all the auction items, if we could raise $40,000 or $50,000, it might be a lot more depending on how much the auction items go for."

Boudreau said the tournament has already sold every spots in 36 foursomes. Some of the celebrities include Caps Dave Steckel, Matt Bradley, Mike Green and John Erskine. Other NHLers include Mike Cammalleri, Dennis Wideman, Matt Stajan and Brad Boyes. Don Cherry will also be there.

But back to the auction items for a sec. How does a flight to DC to have dinner with Alex Ovechkin and watch a Redskins game from the field sound? Or an Ovechkin all-star jersey - autographed by all the Eastern Conference all-stars? Or being a stickboy for the Leafs for a day?

Caps part owner Raul Fernandez is attending the Toronto tournament to see how it goes and gauge the feasibility of organizing a similar event in the DC area.

"We know the expense of hockey," Boudreau said. "If we could just help a tiny bit and get this thing going, and people all over the country start doing stuff like this, it would be great."

*Joe Finely, the 6-7 defenseman I wrote about in today's Post, skated as a forward in drills today. He was moved to forward to even up the two groups after the injuries to Steffan Della Rovere (shoulder) and Anton Gustafsson. But that wasn't the only reason. GM George McPhee said he wanted to get a look a big guy skating up front and crashing the net.

"He could be a forward; he skates pretty well for a big guy," McPhee said. "He does. He's got hands, he can shoot, he can skate. He looked pretty good out there to me."

*Doesn't look like Della Rovere will play in tomorrow's 10 a.m. scrimmage. McPhee said he needs to give the shoulder a rest for a week to 10 days.

*Gustafsson's concussion, by the way, is the second he's had this year, McPhee confirmed.

*Veteran Brooks Laich stopped by rookie camp this morning. He met informally with some of the prospects and took a few of youngsters to lunch.

*The Caps also made a minor deal today, trading defenseman Keith Seabrook to the Flames for future considerations.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 17, 2009; 9:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gustafsson Sidelined Again
Next: Three Stars of Camp: Dubuc, Perreault and Carlson

Comments

This is a great program, but I am wondering why it was not started here. Sounds like a great way to get local kids in dc into hockey. I am a strong believer in the values of global charity work, but I also believe that if you are a celebrity working in DC you should support charities in this area.

Posted by: jfreedma | July 17, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

what is "future considerations" supposed to mean???

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks | July 17, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry? I know it's a charity and everything but the man brings nothing but idiocy.

Posted by: jakopz | July 17, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

@RussianMachine

Basically, 'Future Considerations' are typically determined by some stipulation.

I would imagine in this case, if Seabrook plays 'x' number of games for the Flames, the Capitals get, maybe a 3rd round pick but if Seabrook doesn't, then the Caps get say a 5th or 6th round pick. Something like that would be 'Future Considerations'

Posted by: DrCapsFan11 | July 17, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1: If you read my posts I don't dissect everything someone writes, paragraph by paragraph. That alone should tell you that I am not both cstanton1 and fanohock1. We are on polar ends of the spectrum on just about everything which means I'd have to have a split personality, and clinically insane, to argue with myself.

Back to Schultz, BB likes him, those that don't, get over it. He won't be a healthy scratch and he will be in our top 6. He will be used as the stay at home D and paired with Green or Pothier.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Some of those charity auction items sound great. Dinner with Ovi - will his mom be cooking or will it be at Russia House? LOL

Brooksie was there? Arrgh! I should have paid less attention to what was happening on the ice.

Posted by: pstenigma | July 18, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

@drcapsfan11

thanks that makes sense. the caps didn't use him at all, so hopefully they can at least get something good out of it for hershey. i still think the caps need to sign another veteran defenseman that specializes in defense rather than offense. the defense in the playoffs was unacceptable and they really need to tighten up. idk if our current defense can hold teams to 1-2 goals a game, but that's what you need in the playoffs. you can't be giving up 3-6 goals a game regardless if its the penguins or the islanders.

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks | July 18, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Let's face it, being a Caps fan I'm forced to admit that there is nothing that can possibly happen including a cup that will satisfy the absolute sociophobe/misanthrope/scarred losers that populate this board. Adios.

Posted by: jck747 | July 18, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I was on youtube looking to see if I could find the video of Pat Peake bustin his ankle and ran across something I couldn't resist to LMAO at! You guys have got to see this. It's Crysby in the press conference after he and OV got hat tricks in game 2. You can't not see this. I wonder if this guy is a caps fan or just a Cindy hater? Who cares it hilarious!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | July 18, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know why the Seabrook trade was made? I don't recall anything particularly special about him either way.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | July 18, 2009 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jfreedma | July 17, 2009 10:20PM
------------------
jfreedma: Bruce is from Toronto and got his start in the Toronto youth leagues. Sounds like he wants to give back to the people and place that helped him when he was a kid. Nothing wrong with that. Tarik said it was being looked at as a possibility for the DC area in the future.

On a separate note, I nominate Brooks for Captain this season (I know it'll probably never happen.)

Posted by: tess2201 | July 18, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

tess, let's revise that to "I know it'll never happen".

OV is the next Captain in line. It's a matter of when Clark leaves the Caps or turns it over to him.

I agree that Brooks has strong leadership skills but the best he's going to get is an "A".

Posted by: puckman | July 18, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

In regards to Bruce's Celebrity Classic, too bad he couldn't get Tiger Woods there. Since he can't make it, perhaps he could offer something to auction off for the cause since he likes hockey so much!

Check this video out. Tiger watches our ex-minor league goon Mel Angelstad dance.

(I hope that using the word "goon" does not revive the debate whether Hunter was one.)

Posted by: puckman | July 18, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

A little surprised that no one here has responded to them toying with Finley at wing. Could he become the next goon for the Caps?

Posted by: C-way | July 18, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | July 18, 2009 5:15 AM |

Calgary is get real good looks at the Hitmen all the time, the team Seabrook played for.

I dont know, I am guessing that the team did not see him being used in the future, so we gave it away. Was he signed? Maybe it freed up a contract slot, but I think we just owned his rights.

He was the 2nd rounder in 06, so it is a bit surprising to see him go, but they probably just did not see Seabrook in the Caps future.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 18, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Lemme try that again...

Gus on playing in N. America

Looks like he agrees on not being one of his team's top forwards. Here's an analysis of his game to date from Hockey's Future

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | July 18, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Considering how Grapes (Cherry) is viewed in Toronto (and is friends with Boudreau) it's of little surprise that he'd show up (plus Lionhead...a GREAT course, BTW); my guess is Cherry gets mobbed for handshakes and autographs the whole time he's there.

It's nice of Boudreau to never forget his roots.

Posted by: jcurrin | July 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse