Boudreau's Rookie Camp Short List

When asked which of the rookie camp participants have stood out over the first three days, Coach Bruce Boudreau didn't think about it long. Defensemen Karl Alzner and John Carlson topped his short list, with honorable mentions going to forwards Steve Pinizzotto, Jay Beagle, Brett Leffler, Oskar Osala, and the three goalies (Michal Neuvirth, Braden Holtby and Simeon Varlamov).

"You hate to say the same guys, but Alzner looks like he wants to play - and not in the rookie game," Boudreau said. "The thing I like about him is he takes direction so well. You can tell he's played at a high level."

"The guy who has surprised me the most is Carlson," Boudreau said. "He's come in great shape and has done a great job."

Although I don't think the organization has made a final determination as to where Alzner will start the season, it sounds like he's made quite an impression on Boudreau this week, and that can't his chances of cracking the lineup. But before you pencil him in, remember he's got to look good against the big boys, too.

Carlson, meantime, will return to Dale Hunter and the London Knights of the OHL. But Boudreau said he has noticed a huge difference in Carlson's level of conditioning from summer development camp to this week.

"A guy like Carlson went home and took that to heart and did a great job getting into shape," Boudreau said. "I also don't think it hurts that he's in Dale Hunter's camp because Dale does a great job of getting them in shape. It's something he's really worked on."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 16, 2008; 12:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poti Is Healthy -- Finally
Next: Notes and Observations From Today's Scrimmage

Comments

I don't see the Ice Girls on that short list.

Why?

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 16, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

any word on the young russians? how did they look in camp

Posted by: Ulf Dalhen | September 16, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm likin' the fact the Caps have good young D-Men in the pipeline.

Now if they can groom a few young Centers, it will be muuuh-nay

Posted by: CantMissKid | September 16, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Soup!

Posted by: Simeon | September 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave King | September 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@Dave King,
Did you note his salary?

Posted by: Gustafsson | September 16, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Girl Watcher: maybe because the Caps don't have Ice Girls.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@Anonymous,
I refuse to call them the Spirit Squad. Even if they have the token guy, they're really the Ice Girls.

Calling a duck a pig doesn't make the duck a pig.

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 16, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

You called them the Spirit Squad in your comment on the last post.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@Gustafsson

It can be done if you really want to

Posted by: Dave King | September 16, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

First it was Bryzgalov from Ducks, cheap...

Now it is Schneider, expensive... But Caps d is the major concern (if Jose will show up)

Posted by: Dave King | September 16, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@anonymous

Crap. You are right. I've smacked myself for the mistake.

Posted by: Girl Watcher | September 16, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure you will "smack yourself" often once you get your Spirit Squad roster.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

if you put bills on a pig...its a duck...oh wait thats lipstick

Posted by: nahhhhh | September 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

It is early obviously but Carlson is looking like a great pick. Was surprised he wasn't taken even before the Capitals picked Anton G..

Posted by: usiel | September 16, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Phoenix got Bryzgalov on re-entry waivers, so the Ducks pay half his salary, lets see if the put MS on re-entry, but he is not worth over 5 mil. Plus who would you dump? That would mean we had to get rid of 8 mil in contracts. Does not make sense on any level.

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't see us getting him. Arn't we over the cap right now. I know its not by a lot but I think we are over it by like a mill or two.

It would be a nice pick up though.

Posted by: Thomas | September 16, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ 1:38!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

You laughed out loud at yourself? Weird!

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

But don't worry, I do that, too. LOL!

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Dissapointed not to see Bouchard or Perrault on this (albeit meaningless) shortlist.

Posted by: Ben | September 16, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Please don't post as me. We all know you can do it, but it is not well thought of here. Besides I only occasionally snicker.

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

whats the name of the song the caps come out to? Who sings it?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I hope Karl Alzner makes the team.

Posted by: gocaps | September 16, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Gibson...What do you mean Charlie?..Charlie?

I can see Russia from Alaska...You can put lipstick on Alzner, but he is still Alzner...

Posted by: Sarah Palin | September 16, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Did Bruce ask about me? He left a message for me last night, telling me how excited he was for the season, but forgot to leave his return number. I thought maybe he would have sent message this way.

Seriously, I would not be surprised if the Caps make a trade before the season starts. They have a lot of mid level talent that they perhaps could get rid of. Just a thought

Posted by: Leeguru | September 16, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

McPhee said recently that the Caps are within the parameters of the league's salary cap. He did cite some voodoo economics in the calculations, noting that the league has some weird loopholes.

If you take that on its face (hard to do, I know), it means the Caps would only have to move $5.75 million in space to keep Schneider if they claim him.

I say "only" not because it's easy, but because it's not as hard as moving over $8 million.

Schneider would replace Jurcina ($881,000) or Shultz ($750,000), so that would offset the cost a little. The rest would have to be through trades, minor league assignments, waiver wire, or some combination thereof.

Tough to do, but Schneider would make the defense better.

Posted by: John in Mpls | September 16, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Let these guys develop more. Rookie camp is still a long shot from what the NHL level is. Bring them up too soon and they'll never develop. Then we'll have to trade them to the Flyers.

Posted by: Capies | September 16, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@LeeGuru - did you notice coach stutter in his message? Seems he can't say "ticket office" on the first try!

Posted by: RobMonroe | September 16, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for me posting my reply four times. I'm an idiot.

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Schneider may make the Defense better for this year but his proposed acquisition means you have to trade players that more likely than not would have a future past this season... Schneider is a UFA after this season... that's a lot of movement for a 39 year old D that may only play here for 1 year. I think that's way too much to move to get someone else's salary purge in such a short time!

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 16, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, would you mind removing the post from the person using my name. Yea sorry that showed up 4 times but I did not post it, I got an error and those posts showed up. Again please stop posting as me, it is just not cool.

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like our team the way it is. If changes our to be made, let it be from within.

Let's not forget how we finished the season last year. Sure, we are minus a couple of goalies but we added a good one too. Huet left us which is fine, our guys understand that.

But I think we got a great organization going now with a fantastic pipeline coming. Its home grown. Its the Capitals way.

Lets not screw it up with high priced waiver guys. There is a reason he's been waived. Lets go with our guys.

Posted by: Muddapucker | September 16, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

There's no way Schneider is on waivers long enough to get to us. If Tampa doesn't pick him up LA or ATL sure will.

Posted by: Steve R | September 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@Bob....

You are the only one named Bob?

How special.

Posted by: Rather Pompous? | September 16, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm Bob and so's my wife!

Posted by: Bob | September 16, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The line today where...

Pinizotto/Perrault/Bouchard - smallish but very fast and skilled, not playing open ice hockey really didnt do them any favors. Most of the drills were half ice. Perrault is a great passer and you can tell that Bouchard is a step above the other forwards.

Osala/Beagle/Kugryshev - Big line, excelled in half drills because of size, over powered line 1 more often than not. Osala looked like he was nervous, seem to always mishandle the puck every time he went to shoot. Beagle looks like he belongs somewhere in future discussions. Kugryshev is out of shape, the worst conditioned played out there, goalies were better fit even with all the extra equipment weight.

Lacroix/Leffler/Broda/Dubuc/Taylor/Delle Rovere/Morin looked many years away from making an NHL squad, much slower than the other forwards. Lacroix is the exception.

Alzner/Carlson were paired up on defense. Alzner will be on the big squad no doubt. Carlson is a big guy and he is only 18 or 19? He has a heavy shot and looks very relaxed.

Seabrook needs more time with Calgary. Didnt see much of Godfrey. Mestery, ho hum. Dovgan looked alright.

Its hard to tell what goalies looked bad or good since it is a practice type of situation and not having OV (sorry for spelling OVie, OV... OV is much more cooler, and who made you the master of spelling nicknames anyway?) barreling down on them firing a 99mph slapper.

Posted by: JSchon | September 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Isn't LA still under the salary floor? They might pick him up just to meet it.

Posted by: tallbear | September 16, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

THERE IS ONLY ONE BOB!!!!!

Posted by: BOBS IDOL | September 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

No chance we make any move for Schneider.

And for those of you who try to argue to move Schultz, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by him this year. I know a lot of people (myself included) wish he would bulk up and be a 6'6 crease clearer, but he is already a solid player and was leaps and bounds better in the second half of last year than he was in Oct and Nov.

Japers Rink had a few (stat heavy) blog posts earlier over the summer you guys should read if you have not already

and

the last of which might make you feel more comfortable about our future with J.T. in the net.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Carlson was really impressive during the rookie camp and for him to be in even better condition makes me think he is gonna be in the NHL sooner than later.

I hope to see something in Alzner during the Rook game and big boy camp because I was unimpressed during rookie camp.

Jschon, you gonna be there Thursday?

Posted by: #94 | September 16, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Bob thinks there's only one Bob and one Anonymous.

Posted by: Sideshow Bob | September 16, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

EARLY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE MAN, MR. OVECHKIN

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

oo7:
RE: FiOS, careful with Verizon - they are not known for their customer service and they have long contracts.

RE: Carlson, I was really impressed when I saw him play earlier this summer; even then people were saying, "Who's that?!?" I'm not surprised that BB took notice. Like #94 said, if he is even better now, that is VERY impressive. He must be working hard ... my guess is that we will see more of him sooner than later.

Posted by: Boo! | September 16, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sombrero!

Nice work pulling those japers blogs out. I missed all 3 of those! Great stuff. This stat really surprised me:

"Boyd Gordon made the sixth-largest defensive contribution of any forward in the League. Viktor Kozlov was ninth (thanks to the second-largest even strength contribution of any forward) and David Steckel 16th (see Ryder at p.21)."

I wasn't expecting that. I've gotten called out a few times as a Gordon apologizer, and I had to think hard about it (not too seriously) when Jschon made mention of it. So I feel kind of good after reading it.

Also, this one:

"The Caps got the second worst contribution from its goaltender in the League...No goalie in the NHL who played more than 51 games gave up more 5-on-5 goals per sixty minutes of ice time than Olie Kolzig did, and no goalie who played more than 36 games gave up more 4-on-5 goals per sixty than Kolzig."

There have been too many Kolzig apologists over the years, IMHumbleO.

Finally, maybe those articles will get people off of Schultz's back. The guy has never been as terrible as what some around here have liked to claim, and shout, and deride. That proved it. Well done.

Posted by: oo7 | September 16, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@Boo: Thanks.

Posted by: oo7 | September 16, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

With Poti healthy and Alzner ready for primetime it looks like the Caps D is going to much better this year.

And I see no reason why the offence will not be at least as good as last year.

Playoffs easy imho

Posted by: rong caps fan | September 16, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I strongly suggest a hot club---interracialchatting.com---which is a dating service for whites and blacks to find their interracial love.Hot and sexy,maybe you will like it.Share with you~

Posted by: will | September 16, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

@Rog #94

I'm going to try my best to get there on Thursday. More than likely though I'll still be in Charlotte.

I really hate Charlotte.

Posted by: JSchon | September 17, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

With the rookie game fast approaching I was wondering, is there any limits on the number of goalies teams can dress? Obviously the norm is two but as we have 3 rookies (Varlamov, Neuvirth and Holtby) do you think the teams will reach an agreement allowing 3 to be used. I think giving each goalie a period (ala the All Star game) would be productive.

As for predictions, I’m going for 4-2 win for the Caps with Beagle scoring 2, Osala and Carlson each scoring 1 and Varlamov not conceding a goal on his watch.

Also, as Ovie seemed to enjoy staking with the rookies, I wonder if there is any chance the Caps may sneak him into the game with a disguise? Maybe one of those red mullet wigs would work?

Also, who from here is going?

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 17, 2008 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
I would be willing to bet that all 3 keepers play (each getting a period makes sense), but I don't think that the Flyers would take too kindly to Ovie getting ice time (although I do think that BB should make all of the rookies wear the red mullet wigs ;-)). My guess is that the Caps win by 1. Oh, and unless something comes up with work, I will be there!

Posted by: Boo! | September 17, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

@ Boo

I think we were called Kolzig apologists. Should I be insulted? :)

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | September 17, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

CT:
LOL!!! :-) I read that ... I didn't have the energy to respond. Besides, I've been called worse - even on this board! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | September 17, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OVIE!

And I'm crying gin-flavored tears over not being able to watch any of rookie camp, or to go to the rookie game. :'-(.

Oh well.

I have two entirely unrelated questions:

1-- Where is the best place to find/buy/customize jerseys? I'm in the market for a Semin and a Laich jersey. Any thoughts?

2-- For those of you playing NHL 09, I started Be A Pro mode and it is the hardest game of hockey I've ever played! I'm not having any trouble playing position, but the rest of my team is, and they hold onto the puck too long, giving it up to the other team at a whiff of a stick check. Has anyone else noticed how bad Hershey (sorry, just realized I never said whom I picked, but figured it was automatic) is in the game? And Cassivi/Machesney is plain awful in the game. I can't wait for an updated roster that has Perrault, Bouchard, Osala, Varlamov, and Neuvirth on it. Again, anyone else notice how awful they are in the game?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | September 17, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I mostly use shop.nhl.com for jerseys. If you want a Semin jersey though, I'm sure the Verizon Center and Kettler shops have some already made up. I go the authentic route which has sewn-on nameplates, so I have no opinions on the heat-pressing quality of the replicas.

Posted by: tallbear | September 17, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Boo,

Is JSchon's "Bearded lady" still the worse?

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 17, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Free Mr. Potatohead to anyone who knows the "coupon code" for the Oct 25 Caps game.

Posted by: austinsteve | September 17, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Drinking Partner,

Can't go wrong with icejerseys.com, they hand stitch the numbers and letters. If you find a promo coupon they'll come in around the same $ as the phone booth's iron on #'s

Posted by: Steve R | September 17, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

@Drinking Partner

if on Xbox 360, hit the right trigger to call for a pass from a team mate, and hit the right button (above the trigger) to tell them to shoot it. that should help somewhat.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 17, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@Drinking Partner,
I've had a lot of luck buying jersey's at Kettler. They can either heat press the name on a jersey or they'll order which ever one you want.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | September 17, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Unless shop.nhl has changed their ways, avoid avoid avoid. My Quintin Laing jersey has the worst customization job ever.

Posted by: Jordan | September 17, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Trading Eminger for Carlson seems like a pretty sweet deal now.

Posted by: Jake | September 17, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Trading Eminger for Carlson is looking like a pretty sweet deal now.

Posted by: Jake | September 17, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@Boo & CT-

i wasn't calling you anything. sorry, i didn't mean anyone specifically. and by 'here' i meant dc. and its been going on since the year after the vezina. Kolzig didn't deserve most of the extreme bashing he got, but he also didn't deserve the extreme praise. He got both, regularly.

again, sorry if you thought i was talking about you.

Posted by: oo7 | September 17, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@jake,

Eminger looked sweet when we drafted him, too. Prospects are just that - potential- until they prove otherwise.

Posted by: old time hockey | September 17, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

anyone on 360 we have a team we are trying to start on NHL 09 as Tarik s Bloggers -- we have 3 members --anyone interested send me a message on 360

and does anyone know are you only allowed to have one team on be a player on-line?
I have a million requests but I am afraid to accept to lose OUR team

any updates on today's festivities?

what time are people showing tomorrow? I rec'd a reminder email today that said 130 is when check-in starts

Posted by: capsgary | September 17, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

capsgary: You should call it Tarik's Commenters since Tarik and Katie are the only bloggers here. Everyone else just comments.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

In addition, don't you think that we have enough puck moving defensemen who's defense is less than stellar? What would adding Matthieu Schneider to our defense do except cut down on Green's minutes? A healthy Poti's a better option.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | September 17, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse