Bourque Back in Town

After recording two goals and three assists in three games with Hershey to start the season, Chris Bourque is happy to be back in Washington and at Kettler. And in addition seeing Bourque on the fourth line alongside Dave Steckel and Matt Bradley, coach Bruce Boudreau hinted that the left wing might see some time on the second power play unit as well.

"I have faith in him," Boudreau said. "He wasn't in Hershey's lineup (Friday in a 5-4 win over the Phantoms) and they were 0 for 7."

While Bourque is filling in for Donald Brashear, Boudreau obviously doesn't expect him to serve the same enforcer role. As some of you may remember, during training camp Bourque (5 foot 7, 181 pounds) said he would fight if necessary.

When reminded of that, Boudreau replied:

"I don't want him to do that unless he's going after (Devils 5 foot 7, 175 pound right wing Brian) Gionta," he said. "That line is usually an energy line so we expect him to provide energy. Also you want to reward people on call-ups that had a great camp. There was no room at that point and I thought it wouldn't have been right to bring somebody else up who wasn't as good as Chris in the camp."

Bourque had his best training camp and preseason (three goals and three assists in six games) with the Capitals this year, but was one of the final players cut before opening night. Starting a fourth straight season in Hershey might have prompted certain players to sulk about their predicament but not Bourque.

"That's not my style," said Bourque, who had two goals and three assists in three games with the Bears to start the season. "I want to help that team out. I don't want to bring that team down they don't need that....Sulking's not going to get you anywhere. You go down there with a good attitude and try and get back up here as soon as possible."

Bourque added that he feels like he has more to prove in this call up. He had no points in the four games he spent with the Capitals last season.

"Last year I was kinda just happy to be here," Bourque said. "Now I want to be here to stay. I want to play well and put some points up."

By Katie Carrera  |  October 18, 2008; 12:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Morning Update
Next: Kozlov Close

Comments

first!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 18, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Do it, Chris!

Posted by: Jordan | October 18, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Chris get his shot. Coach B does ALL the right things. This is the guy who earned the call up from his training camp.

In other parts of the league. The Flyer message boards are blasting their own Flyers and picking out replacement coaches already. Emmy has a -3 and is showing why the Caps let him go. Marty had a GGA approaching 6 and a Sav % approaching .800.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 18, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I love athletes who remember that it's all about the team and not the individual. I love Bourque's attitude. I'm sure he will be with the Caps in the not so distant future. You just have to respect a guy who plays hard for whatever team he plays for.

Posted by: CapsFanInHollywood | October 18, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see that the Bears are 4-0 with 22 goals for, 14 against? The next closest team has 14 goals (one less game, but still)! The Bears have a great start and that can only be goodnews for the Caps organization.

Posted by: JIM | October 18, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Is Chris going to keep number 56 or will he go to a lower number tonight?

Posted by: MikeR | October 18, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

It is a shame the Caps aren't set up to do well in the future. Players don't want to play here, no depth, poor management....

Posted by: Leeguru | October 18, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Jim,

It looks like the Bears are off and running on all cylinders. I defintley need to go up to Hershey and catch my first AHL game this year.

Key to the game tonight for me is how the Caps handle the neutral zone against the Devils trap. If we listen to BB and follow the game plan, I see us scring three goals even with Marty in net. If we don't, it could be one of thos boring 3-1 losses to the devils we are all too familiar with.

Posted by: Riddler | October 18, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Riddler

This Sunday night's Bears game versus the Baby Pens will rock. These clubs traditionally hate each other -- knocking one or the other out of the last 3 playoffs. No love for the Phantoms, either. The tickets are cheap and all the seats are pretty close to the ice. The arena is fairly new. The beer is so-so and one cannot buy more than 2 (at least this was the case last year).

Posted by: JIM | October 18, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Lets Go Caps!!!! Come Chris! The fans are behind ya

Posted by: Chris | October 18, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Jim,

It sounds like those would be the two teams that I'd try to catch playing in Hershey then we I make plans to go. Nothing helps the on ice product more then a hated rival coming to town.

Posted by: Riddler | October 18, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go ahead and point out to all those who thought we should have traded Nylander over summer: What now? We have amazing depth, we loose one of our top three defenseman and all we have to do is drop Fedorov back to D and not have to worry about loosing a second line center.

Posted by: DC FURY | October 18, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru,
Are you ok after channeling Chafe?

Posted by: Mark | October 18, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@ Riddler

After the losing the Calder Cup in 2007 in game 7, the Bears have no love for the Hamilton Bulldogs either. The Phantoms crew is pretty much the same as the Flyers, so you may not want to take a date or kids -- if either apply.

If you have a Giant Discount card, bring it. Call the boxoffice for tickets, mention the Giant card, and you get $4 per ticket -- more beer money for me.

Posted by: JIM | October 18, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@ Jim,

I'll try to take a look at the Bears schedule this weekend and pick a Saturday game that works for my wife and I to attend. I'll try to get up with you for more info then.

Posted by: Riddler | October 18, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@ Riddler -- sounds great, my wife and I and another expatriot DC couple go to games every so often. Let me know -- plenty of Caps fans there. I used to love watching Green, Sarge Schultz, Flash, and Bourque playing up there. Papa Bourque shows up to games in the normal seats, too. Not a snobby box.

Posted by: JIM | October 18, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Mark,

Yeah, I, uh, wow, that was surreal!

Posted by: Leeguru | October 18, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@ DC FURY ,

I could not believe that Nyls would even be mentioned in the same sentence as trade. Again, he's an easy target amongst the "negative Nancies" posters because he was conming off of a a serious shoulder injury, makes a lot of money (deservedly so) relative to the rest of the roster, the team was/is tight against the salary cap, he's an older player and Fedorov and Backstrom are capabale centers. Hopefully, the trade rumors were started by other teams who wanted his services and simply inquired and not GMGM shopping him. My belief is that GMGM had/has no intention of trading him. I know he has a no trade clause as well but that's a secondary issue. If the Caps and their fans have expectations and intentions of winning the division again and advancing in the playoffs, you don't trade Nylander. He will be a key for us this year like he has shown in the preseason and the first four games of the season.

Posted by: Riddler | October 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

You are right. Nylander has played VERY well so far this year!

Posted by: MikeR | October 18, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I am so happy to see Bourque called back up. He so deserves it, and I cannot wait to see what he does for our rather lukewarm power play. Let's hope that, like someone else said, that we stop being cutesy. If we're not being cutesy, we tear the trap game up (exhibit A: Pens game).

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: this space for rent | October 18, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru

Are you in a parallel universe where the Caps were, say 4 years ago?

Posted by: Greg S. | October 18, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Lee, check your e-mail. I sent you today's game notes.

Posted by: Steve R | October 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me you're yankin' my chain!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Steve, got it! thanks.

Greg. Come on! I AM YANKING YOUR CHAIN!! THis is what happens when Leeguru is bored at work and the game is still a few hours away.

He also referes to himself in the third person. very annoying

Posted by: Leeguru | October 18, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Whew! Thought you lost it there!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 18, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope Poti really is "day to day" and not actually "week to week". Just my two cents.

Posted by: Russ | October 18, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero, JMU or another capologist,

With the 10 games and 24 days (I think) before someone can be put on LTIR, do you know if the payroll savings for the cap starts on the 25th day or is it retroactive to day 1 once the 10 game and 24 day conditions are met?

Posted by: Steve R | October 18, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse