Bourque Stays; Brashear Out; Bradley and Semin Missing

Chris Bourque is on the ice for practice, so it looks like he's earned a longer look in Washington. Donald Brashear, meantime, skated in a warm-up suit before practice, so it appears he'll miss his seventh straight game tomorrow in Toronto.

Also, Matt Bradley and Alexander Semin are not on the ice. I'll check on their status.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 23, 2009; 10:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Bears Update and Celebration Wrap-Up
Next: Semin, Bradley Have the Flu

Comments

Borque needs to get a little more ice time if we are really going to tell what he can do. He barely played against C.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 23, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Pens v. Caps in the first round? May well happen. How about a Game 7 at the Phone Booth?

Posted by: saintex | March 23, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I hear Semin is not on the ice either...

Posted by: JillC | March 23, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

If there is justice, the birdies will play the Phlyers and Philthy will kick the crap out of them for 7 games

Posted by: majiksea | March 23, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@saintex

For some perverse reason, I would like to play the Pens in the first round. I tend to think we will play our best against them, which gives us a very good chance (of course they will probably play their best also).

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 23, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

That link to ther Randy Moller game calls from the morning reading list was insanely funny. On a serious note, here's to hoping Brads and Semin are taking a maintenance day.

Posted by: superpaqman | March 23, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Semin sick this weekend which is why he cancelled an appearance?

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 23, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Semin is not there because he has played more than 10 games in a row!!! which is way over his career avg

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind the first set of games in the first round against the Penguins and their pre-puberty leader. Of course, it's for my own selfish reasons - I have tickets for their 2nd game in the 1st round, behind the visitors' bench at VC. I'll need to get permission to use that image of those two 8-balls and the words "Slap these" for posters and/or t-shirts. *snicker* C'mon, Caps, let's do this! Demolish the Maple Leafs tomorrow!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@SC1907: Retirement s*cking that bad, that you're starting this early in the morning? I guess if that's the only reason you have to live for, then I guess I can't blame you. Btw, having a man-crush on Semin is okay. Explore those feelings, man. Welcome to the 21st Century! Embrace your inner you. You're here. You're qu33r. We'll get used to it.

HaHaHaha! Let's Go Caps! Let's go Alexander Semin!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

SC1907 has a man-crush on Alexander Semin. Congrats on being true to the real you. I'm so proud of you, man.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'll drink (some spiked prune juice) to that!

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 23, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

SC1907: Who does Kenora play today? Are they playing a game with playoff implications?

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Ok guys, as much as I would love to beat the Penguins on the way to the SC, I've seen way, way, way too many great looking seasons ended in an untimely loss to them. I would rather play Boston in the first round than the Pens (which I know won't happen....)

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 23, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Boo,
Thanks for reminding me of Utd's bad run. I'm trying to block it out! 1st back to back league defeats in 147 games!

I'm sure, like the Caps, they will bounce back and finish the seaosn on a high.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 23, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Check his stats yourself ..This is a heartless player

When the going gets tough Semin goes home

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Oh and hes tough should I post his bone crushing fight! LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@SC1907: Bitter that it ain't home to you? =P

Unless you're Semin's wife/girlfriend/partner and/or you're his Coach/best friend on the ice/skills coach, you're hardly an authority on Alexander Semin and his ability to play with or without heart. I'd stand behind Semin and his skills versus your ability to puff out your chest, suck in your gut, and spout out stats.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Semin had 3 goals and 5 assists in last years 7 game series vs the flyers. I would take that in any series any time.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 23, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

SC1907: Not sure what you were hoping to prove with the link. The only thing you proved was that his productive as heck and we're lucky to have him. You had Mike Milbury probably come from the same mindset so you would probably recommend trading him away. Check Milbury's wikipedia page it doesn't speak very highly of his track record when it comes to trading players away. His only good move was drafting Dipietro. Of course has missed more games than Semin this season.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

SC1907: Also, contrary to your point you were trying to make, it appears, based on the stats, that he actually produces more as the season goes on.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 23, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Don't feed the troll! It's too early on a Monday, and it's not like he has EVER offered anything usefull.

Instead, let us discuss how our defesne has stunk the past month!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 23, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@SC1907: I think Semin has already outplayed that thought but if you're willing to bring it up, you're entitled to it. I'm sure it brings much joy to your life rehashing things from the past. It's a shame you're living in it.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Semin was great in last season's playoffs. More than that, he has been the most dominant player in the league for stretches this season. He really is realizing his potential. So great.

I hope that Coach BB uses this two games in 10 days stretch to rest up some players. Specifically, Flash could use this time to rest and hopefully get his legs back for the playoffs. He needs some juvenation to get back to the level we were accustomed to early in the season.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Look at his games played ... I have never said he is not a great SKILL player that doesn't mean i would want him on my team. because when you do need him he's off sick.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Come on SC1907, you can do better than this. Very disappointing effort. You feeling well?

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 23, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"How many sick days can you ppl take a year before they fire you butt out the door?"

Thankfully nobody crosschecks my lower back in the hallway here. Otherwise I might be 'sick' much more often.

Posted by: FLDave | March 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Well mike answer it than. How many sick days do you get????? YEAR AFTER YEAR!!!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh and hes the only player in the show who gets hit?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

What cross check sat him down this time???
Must have missed it.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, sick days, honestly? I know that I like my job and I feel that it is kind of hectic and stressful. And I also know that these are basically kids (ok technically adults but you know what I mean) that get to play a game for a living so the comparison is off a little. But come on! I know that I sit in a cube (work my butt off) but I don't have to worry about my neighbor checking me into the cube walls. Or cross checking me into the bathroom door. I am never at risk for a concussion, especially not each and every day. They get banged up. They will all say that they all play a little hurt and that each person has their own pain threshold. I generally don't like to respond to people like you and Windjammer because you just come across as stupid. Yes I said it, stupid. I know that is mean but it is true. Do you worry about taking a puck to the jaw each day and possibly breaking your face? When was the last time you were working at your computer and got a skate to the neck? Have you ever torn your spleen walking to the printer? The answer is no. You haven't. How about you have one of your coworkers throw, at 100 mph mind you, a puck at your body each day, just once, and then I will entertain your comparison. Until then, you have no room to talk. Or if that isn't enough, get hired as an AHL or NHL coach and then your comments will have some credit. Until then, good day.

Posted by: mikesfan | March 23, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Alexander S...itting Out!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Trolls are like children that exist only to antagonize others. They grow strong when people give them attention, whether positive or negative. They wither and die when ignored.

Please understand that if you engage with someone that is clearly only trying to antagonize you, it will encourage them more. No one can convince a troll of anything, because trolls do not have the same desires as the rest of the posters. Instead of a rational discussion on a subject (in this case, the finest team in the NHL, the Washington Capitals, Stanley Cup Champions for 2009-2011, 2013, and 2015) they want to get a bunch of people upset, pushing themselves into the middle of the discussion.

Please, do not feed the trolls.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"What cross check sat him down this time???
Must have missed it."

His missing practice today? Big deal, it's a practice.

Posted by: FLDave | March 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

crooks when one cannot respond with a good comeback comment he responds with what you wrote!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Dave is that all hes going to miss today tommorrow?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

i have over 1400 sick hours right now.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 23, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

taken or banked?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know when we will get Alzner back up? Do we need to wait for the playoffs? It will be great to have that steady defenseman back in the top four of our D, where he belongs.

I hope that NJ takes first place. I will be happier facing Boston in the second round, rather than the Devils. (Yes, I can look ahead to the second round, but none of the Caps are allowed!)

Posted by: crooks_c | March 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

That why the Washington Capitals will always be the Washington NO Cup Capital as long as the have Alexander Sittingout and Alex (watch me watch me ) Ovechkin

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I have over 800 hours of sick time banked. In case, SC1907, you haven't read, Alexander Semin has the flu and has nothing to do with his commitment to play hockey. Again, you have the effectiveness of a playground bully, SC1907. The only difference is the "kids" you're taunting aren't aware that you are and the people who see you doing this are ready, willing, and capable of defending Alexander Semin and prove you wrong. Sadly, in responding to you, I'm only acknowledging your existence which I think is the only validation that you'll get today from anyone. I feel sorry for you. I really do.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The Flu!? OMG I didnt know it was the flu..Geez i feel so bad now OMG really guys i had no idea its the flu..Is he alright? Did they call in the family? will he ever play again ? I hope they dont try to rush him back! Has he tried chicken soup? I know he loves eggs because one game he went into a corner with eggs in his pockets and didnt break one!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@StanleyCup1907

When will you take a few "sick days" off of this site?? We all need a break.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | March 23, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

All we have to do to get rid of SC1907 is to win a few games again.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

gotta be patient with semin, you don't get his kind of skill on a team very often. His game does have gaping holes in it but it is getting better. He'll still dumb hooking penalties, he'll still make critical errors by being too fancy instead of being safe at times but his overall game is much tigher and balanced.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 23, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@mikebrady1: Any spiked prune juice left? SC1907 quieted down so I thought he might've finished it all. =/ Bummer. Next round is on me, 'kay?

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 23, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Testing comment preview and posting

Posted by: Bob Greiner | March 23, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

What about Peter Forsberg?

Posted by: virkulous | March 23, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse