Bourque Up, Alzner Hurt (Update)

Another big crowd here at KCI, and another round of injury news and roster moves to tell you about.

Chris Bourque has been recalled and Alexandre Giroux has been sent down (but is on the ice for practice).

Also, Karl Alzner is not skating and just walked into KCI wearing a suit. His right arm had a wrap on it. But that fact that he's wearing a suit likely means he's traveling with the team to Buffalo.

Goaltender Simeon Varlamov is not practicing, either, though the team has not announced a move. At the moment, Brent Johnson is at one end and Jose Theodore is at the other.

Matt Bradley, meantime, is apparently okay after going head/shoulder first into the boards late in the third period last night. But is anyone really surprised that Bradley shook it off?

Update:Donald Brashear (leg) also isn't practicing, and neither are Alexander Semin (back), John Erskine (concussion), Sergei Fedorov (ankle) and Tom Poti (groin), Tomas Fleischmann (flu).

Here are the lines:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Laich-Nylander-Clark
Bourque-Steckel-Fehr
Giroux-Gordon-Bradley

Update: Giroux, as it turns out, has not been sent down, I'm told. Got some bad info earlier.

More later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 29, 2008; 10:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List
Next: Varlamov Demoted and Other Notes

Comments

super

Posted by: _stevo | December 29, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Where in the world is

CHIEF?????????????

Posted by: numero94 | December 29, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Yikes. Alzner hurting is :( What's the scoop on Bradley?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Alzner is "walking wounded" and not something serious. When, oh, when will this injury bug go away??

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Bradley????

Posted by: Kim-3 | December 29, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Why am I no longer surprised when Tarik posts of an injury? My reaction is starting to be like, well, slap a bag of ice on it and go sit down somewheres. Or walk it off.
Sort of off-topic but the Detroit Lions have taken the top spot in "Worst Single Season Record in Pro Sports" from the 74-75 Caps! Woohoo for 0-16!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Alzner was getting checked out on the bench in the third period. I thought I heard someone say Kolbe mentioned it was his Hand or something.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 29, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Quick question though. What is the NHL record for man-games lost in a season? NHL Network had us at 179 last night, I think.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

kitty-from-previous

I actually thought 33/92/17 looked good last night. No points for the group, but it was a strong line for us that didn't get in trouble. And 33 didn't add to my 1-for-5 tally.

Clark was flying around hitting people and getting in the blue-shirts faces. Nyls and Giroux actually looked like they were getting used to playing with eachother.

I'm not so much concerned with Nyls production while the team is winning. What I'm more concerned with is we can't seem to give him a consistent pair of wingers to play with. I thought the 14/92/16 line was fantastic when healthy, but that has fallend apart, and who knows how long Flash will be out.

Ovie gets Backs. Gordon or Stecks get Brashear. With all the injuries, our other pivots get whoever is healthy, and it's got to be a major reason we are not seeing consistent secondary scoring. If I thought it would be a quick look-up, I'd do it. Maybe someone else has. Maybe I'll try hockeydb. But I honestly think Nyls has been paired with EVERY winger on the caps team atleast once this season. Boy that builds confidence and chemistry!

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I like that move. I love the way Bourque plays. Tough about Alzner. What are you going to do, though. Supernatural forces are clearly at work. We have an endless, devastating train of injuries.... surely the gods are displeased... except we are 2nd in the East and we own fools who enter our building...surely the gods love us. The developments cannot be made sense of. I simply hold onto my seat and yell "Let's Go Caps!"

Also, the next big scoop I'm expecting to hear about is Tarik telling us where to get one of those tuques that Feds is always rocking. I need one Tarik.

Posted by: large23220 | December 29, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Alzner blocked a shot last night and immediately went to the bench as was getting looked at. I thought it was his leg but I could be wrong.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | December 29, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl: Sounds like the Lions need to make a phone call to Ted and GMGM for instructions. :) I smell a rebuild.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we need a sacrifice to the hockey gods. Hmmmm... Who could it be??

Cheef? :)

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Lions, if I am Sam Bradford, I am thinking another year in Oklahoma is looking pretty good right now. Think I would wait a year or so to join that rebuild effort.

Glad to see Bradley is back. He is one tough cookie.

Posted by: Kim-3 | December 29, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

kittypawz, I don't even know if Ted and GMGM could fix that!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

TEB

Bradley was on the ice skating today??? After that kabong he gave himself?

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

jmu

179 is correct. When we played the Isles, they were over 200 already. Like 210.

I have seen references to 629 in 03-04 by the kings. That's a damn lot of man games.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

jmu-cont.

we had 231 last year. We'll shatter that this season.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Greg,
Trying to piss off the hockey gods?

Posted by: _Mark | December 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,
any news on erskine? I thought i heard he was going to be cleared by doctors this weekend.

Posted by: _stevo | December 29, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

good news about Bradley! That stumble onto the boards freaked me out. It's weird things like that that remind me how the most innocuos moments can result on catastrophe. He might not put up big points bit I'm happier with him than without. I still think he'll have his name on the cup one day. no reason for him tone the only one wishing it.

Posted by: oo7 | December 29, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

FFSEnough, Thanks! I knew about the Kings, but I wasn't sure what the post-lockout record was. Pretty much every team has claimed to have the record in my looking around. The Oilers claim to have set the record at 286 in 06-07, but somebody else says their team broke 300 and so on and so forth.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

_Mark

Not having much history with sacrifices, I thought we could "kill" two birds with one stone; getting rid of a pesk, and feeding the gods. I figured that they wouldn't really care about who it was. :)

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I just noticed that some people are so lazy around here that they can't have a little faith in the team when they are down. It's not over until the fat lady sings, i.e. when the clock turns 0:00 in the third period. People are so quick to complain so early in the season when the team has a couple of bad games.

And I can't believe that someone posted that he was glad that Ovechkin apologized for not getting the puck to Brook? If you watched the game, kazistan, he didn't have a passing lane to Laich and we all knew he was trying to get it Brook but he couldn't. Didn't know there was the hockey courtesy police hanging around here approving or not approving who got the puck and when apologies should be sent out.

When Theodore gets into his rhythm, I wonder how many of you that bashed him will be patting him on the back.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | December 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

This is pretty cool - time-elapsed video of the Winter Classic rink going up (the music makes it ;-)):

Dave (from the previous):
That's my boy!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | December 29, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

WOW. Bradley is skating? Hopefully Alzner will be ready to play @ Buffalo on Tuesday.

@FFSEnough: 92 kept skating circles and giving the defense time to block his lanes. He did it at least four times that I saw and it made me want to scream. While they didn't exactly get into trouble (and I think that was thanks largely to Clark), 33-92 didn't accomplish a lot either. Clark was definitely a hitter out there, though, and I had no issue with that roughing penalty at all.

That Laich-Steckel-Fehr line is money, but Laich's earned the bump to second line. If Bourque can do the same thing Laich does, look out NHL.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/04/2007-08-man-games-lost-to-injury.html I guess we've got a ways to go to even break last seasons record.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

jmu

list of 07-08 numbers. NYI at the top with 402.

Mirtle highlights a significant point that ...I forget who... JSchon may have a few weeks back. It's not so much how many you lose, it's who.

mnmnt_snow

I look at it this way. Similar to when I was making User Interfaces for software. When people start complaining about colors, fonts and general appearance, rather than the result, you've done a pretty good job. The complaints here, recently, have been on the low-end of the seriousness pole and I'm all for nit-picking some of the aspects of the game. It gives us something to talk about.

And, I'm of the -with a 3-1 lead and a min left, you TRY to make that pass to Brooks. - camp. This is TOR we're talking about.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Add me to the list of those 'shocked' to hear that Bradley is skating today. From the looks of it last night, I was sure that he would need to wake up this morning facing the back of his Cap Sweater just to remember his name...

Posted by: TimDz | December 29, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

kitty

Nyls circles serve a purpose. They are how he plays his puck-posession game. Where Koz just puts his body between the defender and the puck, Nyls is too small to do that and will get ridden off the puck every time if he tried.

Where the "lanes" dry up I feel have more to do with his lack of familiarity, and likewise, other wingers' lack of familiarity with him, and their positioning in the zone. With more consistent linemates, I think we'd see Nyls get up to that .5 point per game that we want to see from him.

Until then, he'll find his place in BB's and our doghouse.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Haha, great minds think alike?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

What happens to Alzner when everyone gets healthy?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 29, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Boo, fun video, but I do have two questions about teh WC:

1. Why not use soldier field where the sight lines would have been better and the ice would have been closer to the stands (the bears weren't going to make the playoffs.)

2. How will NBC and the NHL work Syd the P**e smoking loser into the game?

Very fun win yesterday. Nice to see Garts and nice to know that langway is getting a belly (means he's human). That game had the feel of games from the end of last season. Slow start, give up a goal, build up, win the 3rd, win the game 3 or 4 to 1.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 29, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:14 AM

Finally someone is actually looking at the Nylander situation in rational terms. You have to give the guy credit for playing with different wingers almost every game. Yes he's definitely got a little figure skater in him and is not the strongest defensive centerman on the team but he is smart and can get the puck to people. I wouldn't be in so much of a hurry to get rid of the guy. You can never be too deep at center come playoff time.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 29, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Off topic

Does anybody subscribe to THN as an emag? Good or bad experience?

Posted by: ChrisAm | December 29, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

The Bears would have made the playoffs had they won and the Vikes lost. I guess they could not take that chance planning the WC that far in advance. It would have been a home game too. However, had they planned for the Lions stadium, they would have been alright.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 11:55 AM

Again, I completely agree.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 29, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Aww man please let it be nothing serious... when will Semin/Fed be back... I guess for Flash it will be a while huh? (btw why is he listed with flu I thought it was pneumonia)

Posted by: mauree | December 29, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Nyls is too small and too slow. Kane and Briere are small and they don't do circles... must be his speed as well.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Giroux didn't leave? Yay! More failed breakaway attempts will be yours to behold, Caps Fans! I kid. He might actually score on one at some point.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
1) There you go being logical again.
2) Surely they will find a way to work Sid in - if nothing else, he'll get LOTS of replays (and comparisons and ...) from the last WC!!

ChrisAm:
Love the paper version of THN (it's like Christmas every time it comes in the mail! :-)). The online version is an exact duplicate so if you prefer to get your new electronically, you can't go wrong with that. BTW, when you subscribe to the mag, you get online access, too - I have checked it out a few times and it's pretty slick.

Posted by: Boo- | December 29, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@_828: Kane goes to the net but Briere is a terrible example. Every time that guy scores on us it is a powerplay goal slammed in from the back door. He does all he can to avoid contact. When he does get hit he spears people.

I guess I am on the pro-Nylander bandwagon. He is a great puck possession center that doesn't know what to expect from his wings, because as others have said, they change almost every game. Let's not forget that he has been among the players that have been fortunate enough to stay healthy. He is a +3 so he isn't that much of a defensive liability. We all miss Flash but he's -11 even though he has 12 goals. Nylander is only 2 points behind him. I know that Nyls makes a lot of money but he's a set-up guy, not a pure goal scorer, we have to remember that from his last stint. BB is a great coach but for some reason Nyls is in his doghouse I guess. I think we were all surprised when the Flash/Nyls/Fehr line was broken up. Looked like a winning combination.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"that was ane exciting goal by the Red Wings, but let's look at Sydney cheering after scoring in the shootout last season"

"Zederberg, skating backwards, does a backflip and scores from mid air. but how does it compare to Sydney Crosby juggling the puck accross the blue line?"

NBC= Nobody But Crosby!

Bah Humbug!

Posted by: Leeguru | December 29, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I hate to dump on Nylander but he is severely under-producing; to the point where I've given up on him. The man can skate circles around people but it doesn't do any good if he keeps doing it until he eventually loses the puck. Seems like he is always waiting for that perfect pass that will result in a pretty goal. There have been so many times in the past several games where he had an opportunity to put the puck on net with another Cap on the doorstep but he would fail shoot/pass. How can Laich (for example) be encouraged to park himself in front of the goalie if his center won't throw the puck at the net? Nyls is a 15 year pro with tons of skill and should be feeding his line mates and making them better, not vice versa.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 29, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Sure, it's how he plays his game, but right now, it's not working. *shrug* I'm not saying get rid of the guy - we can't right now anyway. I still say last night he was getting bottled up too easily setting up the attack because of his speed.

Agreed that consistent wingers might help. I liked 14/92/16 myself, and I liked 14/92/25 as well when the first line was 8/19/28. Or for that matter 14/92/28. I only hope you're right, because right now, he's incredibly frustrating to watch.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The Hockey News New Year's Resolutions for all 30 teams. The Caps:

"The Washington Capitals resolve to…go on a run in the post-season. So we can all watch Alex Ovechkin celebrate after scoring a playoff overtime goal."

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
EXACTLY!!! LOL!! You'll just have to turn the volume down ... good thing they are broadcasting it on 1500! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | December 29, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1,
Briere was a bad example, but he is a small guy that some how makes plays and is consitant. I do agree he likes the back door though.

Nylander is a professional athlete, he should be able to play with anyone.

If your argument holds up. The same can be said for Theodore and how he is playing behind different defensmen each night.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 29, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

This has to hurt poor Cindy!

TheHockeyNews.com poll

If you could have only one, who would you choose?

Evgeni Malkin 51 %
Sidney Crosby 49 %

Posted by: Greg S. | December 29, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg...I would still take the bagel!

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 29, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

CapsSkins,
Not to mention the young guys are getting experience in the NHL. We can keep them or trade them. Either way, they are becoming more and more valuable each game they play.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@Greg

I noticed that too... along with the fact OVI's not even mentioned.

Trolling on other boards last week, even the Pens fans are tired of the media crush on Crosby. Also, they had a poll on the best NHL player and you'd be surprised how many voted OVI instead of Crosby/Malkin. I thought it was pretty cool.

Posted by: mauree | December 29, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Mauree,
I think Semin opened everyone's eyes. That's awesome that Pens fans are voting for Ovechkin... but, then again, how can you not?

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

OV-Backs-Kozzy
Semin-Feds-Laich
Flash-Nyls-Fehr
Brash-Stecks/Gordo-Bradley/Clark

Greenie-Schultz
Poti-Collins
Alzner-Jurcina

Two things: Does this look like our best line up and can we actually fit this line up under the cap? Sombrero, I need math help.

Posted by: numero94 | December 29, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

There were groans but Nyls' circles were fine last night, considering he was looking to pass. If he had an Ovi-like "shoot and shoot some more" mindset, he could've gotten some SOG but Toskala would've had some easy saves.

Dunno, I kind of like Kozlov and Nyls together, makes kind of a "frustrate the hell of opponents" line.

Posted by: koalatek | December 29, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I have an injury report:

Cheef fell in the bathtub and broke his tailbone. He won't be able to sit in the basement on grandpa's computer to surf porn and troll messageboards. He also won't be able to photoshop himself making love to GMGM.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | December 29, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Ovi was named the first star of the week. Didn't see it posted here. I'm sure Tarik will have it up in a second.

Posted by: jsaltman | December 29, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

If Stecks/Brads/Gordo/Clark or Mo and Erskine are hurt and on IR, yes, we can fit that under the cap.

If they are healthy scratches, no.

Posted by: FFSEnough | December 29, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@CapsSkins and 828: Agreed. I think that even though the fantasy teams are taking a beating, the team itself is in pretty good shape for a postseason run, The Hockey News' snark aside. Plus our Hershey guys get NHL experience. I think it's no accident that Hershey is kicking butt and taking names this year.

I do agree he likes the back door though.

... did you have to put it that way? *laugh* I know what you mean, but my mind went to horrible Crosby/Briere thoughts that won't go away now ....

I dunno. I don't think the Caps outside of Ovi get a whole lot of media love at all. The rest of the team is just an afterthought to these guys. Second in the conference, two standings points behind the Red Wings (don't look now), and leading the SE Division by a good margin, and with Semin and his Crosby remarks sidelined, they're still an afterthought. Witness the Hockey News' Christmas gift for the Caps - Ovi spreading love and joy on Santa's sleigh. "Oh, they don't need anything, they've got Ovi." Pah.

However, let's take it one game at a time, but if Theodore can keep it going like he has been, we might have just gotten that Christmas present ....

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@_828:

You better be careful of where you say that. Somebody might try to feed you a puck...

___________________________________________________________

fanohock1,

Posted by: TimDz | December 29, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

numero94, On first glance, I don't think it will fit under the cap. The minute Semin and Feds come back from LTIR, we have to lose Alzner, but I'll check. I've got nothing to do today. :D
Are you assuming Erskine is gone, or just LTIR?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 29, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with saying Briere likes the back door?

I thought everyone knew that?

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

koalatek: So do I, on Nyls/Kozlov. Kozlov does help with a language barrier on the top line, though, where if we go Ovi-Backs-Semin long-term, Backs is going to need to learn Russian. (Although, how awesome would that be to have our top line shouting at each other in Russian on the ice? Good luck to the defense trying to shadow them.)

numero94: Hmmm. Not sure about Poti/Collins. Has Poti/ShaMo been tried at all? I know it sounds weird, even to me, but ....

Maybe go this way:
8-19-28
14-92-25
21-39-16/10
87-15-17

55-52
3-26
27-23

Who knows. The injury bug is going to make our lives interesting all season, I bet.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Maybe that's the Pens/Flyers thing this season: They fight for who gets tops after the game.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: mauree | December 29, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.

Great link. Think my favorite was: "The Colorado Avalanche resolve to…shovel Joe Sakic's driveway."

@94- I like the lines, but one question- do you really think Collins gets the nod over Morrison? And I'm referring to the Morrison we've seen since the Rangers game. Since he scored that OT goal, he seems a little more...alive? At least last night I noticed him jawing more, and the intensity just seemed to be there. Maybe not though.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 29, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"I think you all have the injury situation wrong and the hockey gods are with us. We are still winning games and think of it this way....when we are all healthy for the playoffs, we will have a team that isn't tired and worn down from playing a whole season of hockey. They should be as fresh as ever hehe....had to find a silver lining somewhere!!!"

Thanks for making the lemonade from all those lemons, CapsSkins :) I'm drinking it!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | December 29, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Several years ago the Caps set the NHL record for man games lost at over 500. That record was subsequently broken. This is one record I don't want the Caps to reassume. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | December 29, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Greg S. Thanks for posting the link to the New Years Resolutions. I really enjoyed those! My fav was the 'Nucks resolution :)

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | December 29, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Nyls and Kozlov are excellent players. Obviously, to those who prefer the old North American style game these players are of no use; they do not hit or fight or dump-and-chase. To those of us who prefer the European style game, puck possesion, set-up the best possible shot, etc., we enjoy these guys play. I agree with FFSenough, Nyls needs to have a more consistant line to be more effective; he is having the same problem that Semin had last year, constantly playing with new linemates made him very ineffective.

@828
"Nylander is a professional athlete, he should be able to play with anyone." And he does, the problem is that the constant changes of linemates takes his effectiveness away. No matter how great a player is, there is always an adjustment period with new linemates, and if you are always changing that adjustment never happens.

"The same can be said for Theodore and how he is playing behind different defensmen each night." NO. I disagree. While I realize that Theodore depends on his D-men his main concern is the puck and he always knows where it is. A forward has the puck but he needs to know where his linemates are at any given time, they are all constantly moving at a very fast pace. The goalie and D-men are at a slower pace concentrating on one thing, the forwards on multiples.

"Either way, they are professional athletes (veterans at that) and should be able to deal with any combination or situation." I Agree. But it takes time, and you will never achieve it when you are constantly changing.

"I am not a fan of Nylander, but whatever, the Caps are winning so I am not too concerned about his play. He is playing good enough. However, I don't think he is worth his money." Yes. Yes. and Maybe. I say maybe to your last statement, in that it is probably true on the system that BB has him playing - in my opinion, he is being misused, just as Semin was last year.

Posted by: opita | December 29, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

optia, I hear ya. I don't really agree on the Theodore issue. The goalie has to talk to the defensmen and know what their tendencies are. If they are changing, Theodore can't be like: "okay, Green is back there, he has my back", or "Alzner is in front, he won't get beat on his right side" etc. You need to be able to know the players around you. That is why I will accept that if that is what's going on with Nylander. However, if that is accepted, Theodore should be given some slack as well. Ya know?

But, yes, I don't think Nylander is right for BB's system... we will see. Only time will tell. Confused about Semin being misused though... Semin played really well when he came back from his injury and into the playoffs. I don't see how he was misused.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

One more silver lining on the injuries: if Semin stayed healthy all year and put up 60 goals, he might have become instantly unaffordable for the Caps. Maybe now they can extend him for a long time at a reasonable level that leaves room for Backstrom, Varlamov, etc.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | December 29, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@828.
I agree with your comment about cutting slack to JT. I am one of those who thinks he can play better, and he has lately, but I have always cheered for him.
Regarding Semin, what I meant is that last year - and maybe I might be confusing it to a previous year - for a while he was playing with different linemates and his effectiveness was suffering. I remember many bloggers talking about him in a similar way that they talk about Nyls today.
I think we are both in agreement about this being a team sport and the blame for a bad play or bad game should not be single out to a specific player. The same goes for a great game, many times we, the fans, ignore the contribution of less known players.

Posted by: opita | December 29, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse