Posted at 1:22 PM ET, 01/ 8/2011

Boyd Gordon nearing return after staph infection

By Katie Carrera

After missing the past nine games because of a staph infection in a toe on his right foot, Boyd Gordon was cleared to skate hard, take part in practice with his teammates and endure a lengthy bag-skate with the scratches on Saturday morning.

Coach Bruce Boudreau said he expects the veteran center to be able to return to the lineup within a week and Gordon agreed, saying that after a few more tough practices he should be back in game shape.

Gordon said the infection took hold when a callus on his toe, the result of repeatedly blocking shots, cracked open. It started to bother him slightly back on Dec. 11 in a 3-2 loss to the Colorado Avalanche and by the end of the Capitals' 7-0 loss to the Rangers on Dec. 12 the pain was significant, causing Gordon to limp through much of the contest. He had surgery the following day to have the infected tissue removed.

"They cut my whole toe open and cleaned it out," Gordon said. "It [affects balance] at first, but right now it's pretty good. I'm not too worried about it's just a matter of getting back in game shape. Staph can take your whole body down, but for me, luckily it didn't. I've known guys that have been out for whole seasons [with staph infections], so it could be even worse than this. The time I lost is a lot better than what it could have been."

Worried about reopening the wound after surgery and the chance of the infection starting up again, Gordon wore a walking boot on his right foot for the bulk of his time off to make sure nothing would irritate his toe. He's only been wearing regular shoes for about a week, and his workout on the ice Friday was the first time he skated since the game against the Rangers but Gordon doesn't anticipate any problems going forward.

"It feels fine in a skate, so I don't think there will be any hiccups," Gordon said, adding that he's glad to be able to skate again. "I couldn't skate at all. I had to make sure that the cut sealed so I didn't get it infected again; I had to be pretty careful there for awhile. I couldn't really do anything with it. I could work out a little bit, but nothing cardio-wise. You get out there with the guys and you're trying to keep up with everyone and that's the best way to get back into it."

By Katie Carrera  | January 8, 2011; 1:22 PM ET
Categories:  Boyd Gordon, Injuries
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals look to set a tone early against Panthers
Next: Open thread: Capitals vs. Panthers

Comments

Boyd Gordon nearing return after staph infection

No thanks

Posted by: Dizruption | January 8, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Sad story, but it should remind some posters that the players are people also and have their own personal problems off the ice that they have to deal with it.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 8, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Katie, I think you mean it _affects_ balance.

Posted by: Justafan | January 8, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Also, on trade rumors. You have to consider if the other team even wants to trade the player you speak of.

Columbus may have no interest in trading Umberger. So that may not be an option.

Arnott will be/is on the block and that is a definite possibility. He may not be a great #2 center anymore, but right now he looks like the best option available.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 8, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Almost hurled reading that, yuck

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | January 8, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The article says Cavanaugh was a suicide AND he died of multiple blunt force traumas. This does not make sense. Either way, so very sad when anyone that young dies.

Posted by: pirate1 | January 8, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

IMO most of Boyd Gordon's return will be spent in the pressbox. Beagle and MP are playing well and don't deserve demotions. The Solution: Hershey could really use Sloan right now.
Could everyone please stop complaining about players not attending the optional morning game day skate. Even if they aren't skating, the players are at the complex preparing for the game.

I've figured out Semin's problem. With his poor english, he misunderstood about the Winter Classic. He heard it was like a Stanely Cup game. He then figured that the games in the month before the Winter Classic were playoff games. Of course, Semin always disappears during the playoffs so, that is why he has sucked during the last month.

Posted by: chriscaps | January 8, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pirate1

I was thinking maybe he jumped off the parking garage. It is very sad either way.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 8, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps

I agree Boyd should be in the press box or traded, but when Bradley comes back so will MP. He's been demoted to the 4th line because he hasn't been playing well. Ive said he hasnt been playing well but plenty of people on here think otherwise, no offense but Im not sure which game a lot of you watch to think he has consistently played well. The only reason he is still in the lineup is because they want him to play well so they can trade him by selling high.

Beagle yes he has been playing extremely well, much better than I expected. If he gets sent down or put in the press box that would be very sad and the wrong move by the coaching staff.

Posted by: ThePat | January 8, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

B-Gordon has been one of our best playoff guys in the past. He is worth his small salary...I take him over Steckel come playoff time.

Posted by: capscoach | January 8, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

With the Caps lacking center depth and BGordon only making $880k, I think he will be on the team and should be on the team, even if it is as 13th man.

My guess would be that once BGordon comes back he will be placed on the energy(4th) line with Chimera and Fehr.

The Hendricks/Steckel/Beagle line will and should remain the checking line going against the opposing teams top line.

Then I think MJ will likely be the 2nd line center, especially if he does well at that position this week.

MP could also get some 2nd line time too, but I think he is most likely to be sent back to Hershy.

@ThePat

MP is going to get less time tonight because of his injury and surgery. He has been in the lineup because he is one of the few Caps skilled players who has shown glimpses of skill and is really the only other skilled center other than Backstrom(MJ isn't there yet in terms of skill, although I think he will be soon).

MP hasn't been consistent enough, but with the Caps need of skill and offense, his glimpses of skill have been good and have helped the team(remember the Ottawa game). In addition, he has NOT been a liability on defense this year. Just look at how many goals have been scored while he has been on the ice. Not too many. I'm not saying he is good defensively, but he hasn't been bad either.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 8, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

After watching Steckel for years, he's not the kind of player to run somebody (ie Matt Cooke). Now I see Sidney is questioning Steckel's motives, saying he could have avoided the hit. It looked purely like an accidental collision to me. Crosby is really a piece of work.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 8, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond: Crosby is basically blaming everyone but himself for the hit. I think he genuinely believes he can do no wrong. He's been told that too much and treated that way too much growing up. I respect his talent but man what a whining little princess.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 9, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse