Capitals perfect with Boyd Gordon in the lineup

Boyd Gordon, Washington Capitals, Toronto Maple Leafs(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

If Coach Bruce Boudreau is at all superstitious, he might do well to keep forward Boyd Gordon in the lineup.

In a 5-4 shootout victory over Toronto last night before 18,398 at Verizon Center, Gordon played his sixth game of the season. The Capitals are 6-0 when Gordon plays.

When asked if Washington indeed would lose a game in which he played, Gordon paused to inhale deeply.

"Yeah, it's going to happen," the club's longest-tenured player said.

Gordon was more than just a good-luck charm in the uneven win, when the Capitals came out a bit lethargic, countered with a three-goal outburst in the second period and then recoiled as the Maple Leafs rallied to reclaim the lead in the third period before Alexander Semin's power-play goal forced overtime.

Moving behind the net at 10:35 of the second period, he gathered a pass from Matt Bradley and fed Jason Chimera, who was approaching the crease. Chimera beat goalie Jonas Gustavsson in an instant, and the Capitals suddenly had energy -- and a 2-1 lead -- after a mostly uneventful first period.

Gordon "works hard at his own end," said Chimera, wearing the well-deserved hardhat in the locker room. "He doesn't give the other team very much at their own end, and he's really fast coming up the middle too. He gives us lots of options as wingers. Like I said, he wins tons of draws, and that helps a lot too."

Gordon won 8 of 16 faceoffs against Toronto and played 2:58 on the penalty kill, the most among forwards on the team. Only defenseman Mike Green had more time on ice while shorthanded.

Gordon's assist against the Maple Leafs earned him his second point of the season. His other assist came on Oct. 11 in a 3-2 overtime victory over Ottawa.

"That's what we try to do; get pucks deep and use our speed and go to the net and chip in here and there," Gordon said of his line that last night, which also included Eric Fehr. "Tonight we got one, so it's always a good feeling."

MORE FROM THE POST
Katie's gamer from the Caps' 5-4 shootout victory.

Alexander Semin shines despite feeling sick before the game.

By Gene Wang  | November 4, 2010; 8:41 AM ET
Categories:  Boyd Gordon
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals rally for a 5-4 shootout win over Maple Leafs
Next: Optional practice for the Caps

Comments

Gordon would be so valuable if he could just stay healthy! He is a girfted role player, rarely out of position, decent on faceoffs, and very hard working.

Posted by: capscoach | November 4, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Crosby fought with his visor on, which is a disgrace.

That is why he will never be super elite, he fights like a woman.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 4, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I am CONVINCED that Flash was given that goal last night to help boost his trade value.

THE AMERICAN HERO WAS ROBBED!

...meanwhile Flash is on pace for 27 goals after 12 games.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 4, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

@wtf

I actually thought right away it was Flashe's goal...esp. on the replay. He deflected it in.

Posted by: capscoach | November 4, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

There were a lot of opinions regarding etiquette during the US National Anthem. Here is guidance as to the etiquette during the US National Anthem as outlined by our elected officials. It's not law, and even if it was, people would do what they want and call it freedom of speech. Anyhow, there are expectations. Cornell Law provided a link.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I think BGordon might be the best Cap at cycling the puck behind the net in the offensive zone. He gets the puck off the boards so quickly and almost always knocks th epuck to a teammate at the correct speed. If only he could stay healthy he could possibly be a good checking line center.

The Caps had a horrible 6 minute stretch in the 3rd period, but doesn't mean they are reverting back to their old ways(on the goals players were not out of position due to pushing too far forward for a goal).

Every team is bound to let in some goals during bad stretches(Pens just got blown out). Up until yesterday's game the Caps had only allowed five third period goals. Reacting to one regular season game is overreacting.

I also think that maybe the first two goals could have been avoided if Hendricks was playing instead of King. King made an awful play on the 2nd goal trying to clear the puck.

In addition, the PP is clearly much better with Green back there. The difference is like night and day. I'm interested to see the Caps/Bruins game, it should be a good matchup. People have to remember that Green didn't play in the first two Bruins' games, and having Green in this game will help out the Caps significantly.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

It was Flash's goal. Great tip by him.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 4, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

sgm,

I agree with you on BGordon but as I stated when he was resigned he is injury prone and should have been let go and the money could have been spent elsewhere. When the guy is healthy he is an asset to this team but he is consistently getting injured and leaving the team short handed. I really hope the guy proves me wrong but at the pace he is going now I do not see him playing any more games than he did last year.

And, that takes nothing away from what the guy did last night, he had a really good game.

Posted by: PhilR | November 4, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Niskanen has some thoughts on Crosby's rationale:

"I never saw that coming. We were up 4-1 and he was probably trying to get the team going.
...
He asked me to go and we went. I didn’t say a word to him all night. I wasn’t on the ice with him all night.
....
I think he probably picked me out. Maybe I was the smallest guy out there. I don’t know."
_____________________________________

That's why Sid wears the C. I wish Ovi would pick the smallest, weakest guy on the opposing team and just wail on him. LOL!

Posted by: ablake70 | November 4, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@ablake

Wait...did he really say that or did u make it up as a joke? because that is hilarious if Niskanen said that for real!

Posted by: capscoach | November 4, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Crosby fought with his visor on, which is a disgrace.

That is why he will never be super elite, he fights like a woman.

Posted by: underpants2

Niskanen kept his on too. If you're going to bag on Crosby, at least tell the whole story. At least Crosby attempts to fight, when's the last time OV dropped the mitts? As a Caps fan, I'd like to see this from OV once in a while.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | November 4, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Niskanen has some thoughts on Crosby's rationale:

...
....
_____________________________________

Posted by: ablake70

Niskanen's 6.0, 204.
Crosby's 5.11, 200

I know we're all Caps fans, but consistently ragging on Crosby without knowing the facts is pretty weak. Technically, he fought a guy bigger than him. I don't like Crosby either, but I certainly respect what he did last night.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 4, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Yeah, BGordon is definitely an injury risk and you can't really depend on him.

But at a 1yr $800k contract, I think that is worth the risk because it doesn't take too much room off the cap($550k is the minimum I think). I think for that amount the risk vs. reward payoff is okay.

At much more, IMO, it would have been too high of a risk.

I'm sure BGordon will miss more games, but maybe that is the way he needs to play with his back problems. Maybe he can only go about 50 games during the regular, but that leaves him healthy enough to play in the playoffs.

The next question is, when MJ comes back where do you put him? I think you have to keep BGordon on the 3rd line for a while. I think putting MJ on the 4th line may be a good idea. Have MJ centering Hendricks and Bradley. MJ wouldn't have any pressure to score and can focus on playing D and creating energy on the forecheck. I'm sure goals will come too.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 4, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

@Fletch22

why? When Ov breaks his hand or suffers a concussion because he wanted to prove to people that he is tough and defends/supports his team then will u wish he had fough. Ovie supports his team in other ways...winning mostly. Leave the fisticuffs to those who don't have enough talent to contribute in other ways...he hits, he scores, and I don't want him hurting himself doing something stupid to prove something he doesn't need to prove.

Posted by: capscoach | November 4, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fletch22

Crosby jumped Niskanen. He initiated the fight. When you have a visor on, you are supposed to remove your helmet.

Watch it, tell me how Niskanen can get his helmet off.

Why would we want our best player fighting? Maybe you'll get your wish, and OV breaks a hand, how glad will you be then?

Posted by: underpants2 | November 4, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@underpants2

There are actually two negatives to Ovie fighting.

The first is obviously the injury risk.

The second is that Ovie and an opposing player will both go off for 5 minutes. When would that tradeoff EVER be a positive for the Caps?

If Ovie began fighting, and I was the opposing coach, I would get anyone on the team to fight him just to take Ovie off the ice for 5 minutes. That would always be a good tradeoff.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 4, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@ Fletch22

Color me not impressed. The height/weight charts are known to be inaccurate. Flash is listed at 195. Who believes that? Also, Crosby claimed that he was sticking up for Letang, but he cherry picks a guy to fight? Why not go after Morrow?

If Ovi pulled some crap like that, there would be howling from here to Toronto. That wasn't emotion or leadership on display. It was a guy that wanted to put on a show, yet was unwilling to get his a$$ kicked for his team. I have more respect for a guy like Letang.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 4, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Crosby fought with his visor on, which is a disgrace.

That is why he will never be super elite, he fights like a woman.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 4, 2010 9:08 AM

Actually, I've never seen a woman fight with a visor on, only some men.

sgm: Since I'm sure you've read my posts you'll note never one negative thing about Gordon. Nice value at $800K since like you point out it's hard to spend less. And, if long-tern injury, LTIR would cover a replacement. Only overpaid Caps in my opinion are Flash (slightly) and Poti. Oh, and Steckel.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 4, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

D.J. King's stats last night:

5:17 total on ice, 5 minutes of penalty time for a meaningless fight, and a -2 (with 0 shots on goal).

I would say he is a complete bust. He just doesn't fit, and I don't see a point to carry a guy who only fights and plays less than 7 min a game. Send him to Hershey or something.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | November 4, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Watch it, tell me how Niskanen can get his helmet off.

Posted by: underpants2

Now Crosby jumped him? I mean no offense, but you're seeing things that aren't there. Here's the video.

They were lined up next to each other and dropped the gloves. Around the :35 mark, they show a replay. Crosby didn't jump him in any way shape or form.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 4, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

@SuperZ3383

you fail to see what actually having King in the game does. It is the answer for Orr in a game like that. If King doesn't play, then Orr is going to run everybody on our team. BB knew what he was doing when he put him in the lineup. GMGM knew what they were doing when they traded for him.

Everybody complained we weren't tough enough last season. The additions of King and hendricks bring MUCH needed toughness to our team. Read some quotes of players about DJK and see how they feel about having him out there

Posted by: _stevo | November 4, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Who cares? Crosby got in a fight in a lop-sided loss. I watched part of that game after the Caps game. Looked more like a temper tantrum than standing up like a Captain. Sometimes hockey fans just read way too much into things. Crosby was pissed because the Pens are not playing well right now and they were getting blown out, period. I'm sure Bylsma understood why Crosby fought but I wouldn't be surprised if he asks him to pass on that for the same reason some Caps fan don't want to see Ovi fight. To risk injury in a meaningless situation is just not worth the trade-off. Like the old saying goes, live (or don't risk injury) to fight another day.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 4, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@Fletch22

You are right, he didn't jump him. I only saw the replay on NHL on the FLY, it looked like he had jumped him.

But still, if your gonna challenge a guy, and you wear a visor, you need to remove your helmet.

Also, no way anyone on this team should ever let OV fight. Much more bad can happen than anything good.

Posted by: underpants2 | November 4, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

@underpants, too add to my previous post, if you watch the replay, it shows that Crosby starts undoing his chin strap, but Niskanen makes no motion to undo his, so I assume that Crosby left his on because Niskanen wasn't taking his off.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 4, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

stevo: I agree, I'm glad we got King, he was just awful last night. I was thinking late in the game we missed not having Hendricks.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 4, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 4, 2010 9:28 AM

I would hope this might open a dialogue that would lead to the maturation of the crowd at Verizon Center. We have a HOCKEY team whose games we are attending, not a baseball game where another team from another town is playing - therefore the "O" is inappropriate. And the "RED" is as inapropriate for the same reason that "O" is - it is disrespectful of the reverence due to the National Anthem. It also makes the entire Washington D.C. crowd appear to the viewing world as childish and plain dumb! It is simply embarrassing.

Posted by: OldCapCenter | November 4, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

_stevo

Toughness is one thing, but when a player is only getting 5 min average on ice time, and he is spening another 5 min in the box too, I just don't see a point.

He's a -2, has 2 shots on goal, and doesn't fit. For our only real offseason acquisition, he was not what we needed. He is not Brashear since Brash had some skill.

Hendricks can get to the net and gets some opps offensively (and I have heard is a great voice in the locker room). King, to this point, has been good for one thing: untimely fights. Erskine or Brads would have given Orr a run last night if we don't have King out there.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | November 4, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised nobody on these boards has really mentioned the Caps D pinching in the zone lately. The last few games they have definitely shown a tendency to do this. It is a big reason for the increased puck possession in the offensive zone and chances, however, I think they need to be a little more cautious when they're up by a goal or more in the 3rd period. Definitely something BB is messing around with, but he needs to adjust when they're up.

Posted by: chatton | November 4, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

I care. It bothers me when Pens fans make up stuff about this team and vice versa. I'm all for hating on Crosby, but watch what he did, and then comment about it. I'm not trying to pick on anyone, so I hope it doesn't come off that way.

I don't necessarily want to see him fight, but OV is a big boy, he can handle himself. There's quite a few team captains that fight when necessary, and many of them are a lot smaller than OV. Iginla, Richards, Morrow, Horcoff. OV's just as like getting hurt some other way anyway.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 4, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

D.J. King's stats last night:

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | November 4, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I could not agree more. When has King been in a useful fight for the Caps? It's more like he has arranged playdates with the goons on other teams. Not one of his fights has come in the defense of a teammate, or at a point in the game where the Caps needed a momentum shift. A Leafs fan behind me last night thought that one of the Caps RWs was injured based on the line shuffling in the second half of the game, and I had to turn around and tell him that the "injured" RW was DJ King. The fact that Hendricks was scratched to get King in the lineup makes even less sense. Give me a guy like Hendricks who can stick up for his teammates when needed but also play and contribute positively to other parts of the game every day over a guy like King.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 4, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I have watched the replay several times, slo mo and all. I just didnt see any defection.

Perhaps my eyes were deceiving me?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 4, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@SuperZ3383

trust me you don't want brads fighting Orr. That would be a bloodbath.

King has just as much skill as brashear does. I'm not saying he should be in there every game (and I'll concede that he didn't play great last night), but teams like toronto, philly, rangers, and boston, he is a good asset to have

Posted by: _stevo | November 4, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Hendricks and King are nice additions to the team. The Caps need a guy like that. Just ask Alan May. He knows. Unlike a lot of Caps fan I enjoy watching Crosby play and I really respect and think he is great for the game. I do not undersatnd why people hate him. Mario I understand but not Sid. He is a rare talent. OVI is a rare talent and they both make the game a heck of a lot more interesting. Good for Sid fighting. Oh btw didn't OVI try to fight last year and Bradley came in. For all of you folks out there I promise that OVI and Crosby are tougher than you in every physical attribute.

Posted by: pkme | November 4, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand. Can Greenberg do a statistics lesson about this?

Posted by: GFisher1 | November 4, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

cainoo7x:

Exactly. To me it seems King fights because, well, he isn't good at anything else. The second he comes to a teammates aid, he will become a fan favorite. But, to this point his fights (which, can you really call that a fight last night?) have been pointless and untimely. They have NOT energized the team.

I can see a point against Boston or Philly or something, but we only play those kinds of teams 10 percent of the year or so. Not worth it, and he is just taking away a roster spot in my opinion.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | November 4, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Also FYI -- Isn't taking off your helmet before a fight an extra penalty? Did that become a penalty or is it still in the planning phase?

Posted by: GFisher1 | November 4, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I highly doubt it's changed much but I don't think the Penguins look to Crosby to rally them on to a win by fighting. Really?

He should be reminded that you don't get goals for fighting. Might have slipped his mind after perhaps the 2nd or 3rd goal scored on his team.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 4, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@WTF

who actually makes the ruling though? It is not the team is it?

Posted by: capscoach | November 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Brads, and perhaps Erksine, have no business fighting a guy like Orr. Brads would get killed, and if Erskine takes a good shot from Orr (or anyone), he'd be back on the sidelines with another concussion.

While King hasn't been that impressive, how much blame do BB and GM get? When they traded for him, they said they'd mold him into a better overall player. I'm not sure he's getting the guidance they said he would.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 4, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GFisher1

In the major junior leagues I think it is. In the NHL, if you instigate a fight with a visor on, it's an extra penalty.

Posted by: Fletch22 | November 4, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

The official scorer, with the help of the video goal judge. Not the team.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 4, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Are you guys debating the Flash goal? Seems just like the off the skate by Jokinen, was it or wasn't it?

Either way, Flash was in excellent position there for screen or deflection. Had he not been there, it would not have been a goal.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 4, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fletch22 |

Seriously? You expect a coach and GM to "mold" a player a month into the season? Please be realistic on how much a coach can "mold" a player. Most of the times it is because the player is not capable(either physically or mentally) of becoming a better player. But it takes time, I'm willing to wait and see how King does over time.

I think it is good that he gets a few games in to work on his craft while providing some toughness.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

The crosby-niskanen fight, and ensuing talk about whether Ovi should fight all reminds me of last season, when Ovi and one of the Lightning instigator-types (was it Downie) were set to fight but didn't.

Ovi definitely removed his visor (threw his helmet off) but Bradley came in to fight instead. At the time I was disappointed because I wanted to see ovi fight but, in hindsight, it was probably much better that bradley stepped in. To mee, Bradley's gesture was an even higher level of leadership and respect for leadership, and probably does more to get a team charged up than actually letting your star fight.

Posted by: PSD1 | November 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Who cares which Cap gets credit for a goal as long as it goes in? The ice really sucked last night and the puck was bouncing like a rubber ball. For example, the 3rd Leafs goal was a break-out caused by the puck bouncing over Ovie's stick.

There is NO WAY I ever want Ovie to fight, ever! It is not worth the risk.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 4, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Question (repost):

was it just me or was the ice very bad list night? I'm thinking that's the story of the game: people falling down, all kinds of puck whiffs and mishandles (too many to count). If I'm the players, I'd go to Leonsis and give him some crap about it. They make their living on that ice and they deserve better.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 4, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Not very impressed with how Crosby targets guys he knows aren't fighters like Niskanen last night or Scott McLean vs. Florida a couple years back at the faceoff circle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqAnl2B8Qk.

Crosby is a sissy who has nver removed his helmet and visor which keeps him from ever having a chance to get hit in the face. He looks to get in fights when his team is getting blown out like last night. I'd rather Ovie avoic the fighting so we have our best player on the ice and not risk him breaking his hand while pummeling a smaller guy on another team. If Ovie ever had a chance to fight Crosby, that would be the exception.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 4, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Crosby fought with his visor on, which is a disgrace.

That is why he will never be super elite, he fights like a woman.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A woman would have taken off the helmet.

Posted by: ljo211 | November 4, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Crosby fought with his visor on, which is a disgrace.

While not a woman myself, I imagine he didn't want his make-up foundation to get messed up. And the waterproof eyeliner might have smudged. Just saying he had legitimate reasons to keep his visor on.

jk.