Boys Will Be Boys

Teammates Ben Clymer and Rico Fata squared off during an exhausting, full-contact drill today at practice.

It's unclear why they confronted one another, but it began with Fata yelling at Clymer. Moments later, both dropped their gloves and started swinging. They were separated by other players before either could inflict much damage.

After the drill, Coach Glen Hanlon called Clymer and Fata over and a lively discussion ensued. As they skated their separate ways, it appeared things had been smoothed over.

"You've got two young guys competing, and the next minute they came together, shook hands and moved on with it," Hanlon said. "It happens every year. And it will happen again before the season is over. Today was a really hard practice, and when you get tired, you get cranky. It's human nature."

It was actually the second fight in recent weeks. Center Brian Sutherby beat up minor leaguer Chad Wiseman on the ice during training camp for what Sutherby considered to be a dangerous hit.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 16, 2006; 2:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Admired From (Really) Afar.
Next: Pettinger Could Return Saturday

Comments

I wonder who would have won. I have an itchy feeling Clymer would have.

Posted by: capitalpunishment | October 16, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Ben poked fun at Rico Suave's stickhandling "skills". That boy is fast, but man does he lose a lot of pucks.

Posted by: DCDireWolf | October 16, 2006 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic but one media outlet has reported that AO is nursing a groin injury. It had appeared that possibly some injury is affecting his play as his acceleration and moves have not consistently been evident early in the season. Any way to confirm this?

Posted by: Monty | October 16, 2006 7:06 PM | Report abuse

It's true. Ovechkin has been playing through some soreness. But I would stop short of calling it an injury. That's why I haven't made a big deal out of it. When he misses a practice or game, that's when it's an injury and worthy of a story.

Posted by: Tarik | October 16, 2006 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Good....I like the intensity...That's what the Caps need to do...They just need to translate that on the ice in the D-Zone.

Posted by: DUB | October 16, 2006 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Pettinger? Think he'll suit up for a game this week? Thanks for the good work Tarik!

Posted by: Graham | October 16, 2006 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Back to Ovie for a moment. I understand the distinction you're drawing between playing sore and missing practices/games, but groin injuries are nagging problems that can get worse in a hurry, and we have a much more intense playing schedule for the rest of the month -- three games in four days starting tomorrow, and then a tight four game road trip with LOTS of travel out west, none of which is conducive to resting and treating a groin issue. I'd hate to see this "non-injury" limit Ovie for a larger part of the season; 80% of AO is still better than 90% of the players in the NHL, but the fact is this franchise really needs him at 100%. If he needs some time off to heal, I would think we'd be better off admitting it now and going from there. I see no questions about his toughness whatsoever, this is just one of those things where I hope we're taking a long-enough view.

Posted by: Fred | October 17, 2006 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Graham -- Pettinger appears to be getting much closer. He skated at full-speed on Monday and did not appear limited in the upper body. I'm going to talk to him today at practice, but I'd bet he'll play this week.

Posted by: Tarik | October 17, 2006 7:56 AM | Report abuse