Goalie update: Braden Holtby arrives at Kettler

Michal Neuvirth and Braden Holtby were two of the first players on the ice this morning here at Kettler. They're out there right now with Quintin Laing, Brian Pothier, John Erskine, Jeff Schultz and Tyler Sloan. Coach Bruce Boudreau followed them out shortly thereafter, telling me, "you're not gonna get much out of this one," because he expected only seven players to take the morning skate.

Boudreau said Holtby was not here via emergency recall, even though the Capitals would presumably fit under that provision of the CBA due to Semyon Varlamov's continued absence with groin/knee injures and Jose Theodore's injury during the second period of last night's 7-2 win over the Islanders. That means someone had to get sent down, although Boudreau wouldn't specify to me who it was. But with Sloan and Laing on the ice with a bunch of defensemen not named Karl Alzner, I'm guessing he's the odd man out once again and was sent back down to Hershey.

Update: The Capitals just sent out an official release confirming Holtby has been recalled and Alzner has been assigned to Hershey.

By Mark Giannotto  |  January 27, 2010; 10:02 AM ET
 | Tags: Braden Holtby, Jose Theodore, Karl Alzner, Michal Neuvirth, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: You could say 'they're in a groove'
Next: Semyon Varlamov: 'It's been too much waiting'

Comments

Poor Alzner! He must be so frustrated!

Posted by: capscoach | January 27, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Please let this mean that Pothier is playing and not Sloan!! I cringe when he is on the ice.

Posted by: capscoach | January 27, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Poor, Poor, Poor Karl Alzner. He does not deserve this. So frustrating.

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | January 27, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Alzner is the only current Capital that can move from NHL to AHL without having to go thru waivers I believe.

Am I right about that?

Posted by: JSchon | January 27, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Caps goalies really seem to be snakebit. Wasn't Varly originally day-to-day with a groin injury and that has turned into month-to-month with the addition of the mcl sprain? Now, just when Theo was finally finding his groove, he goes down. I wonder how long day-to-day will be with him?

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 27, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I'd be willing to see the Caps lose tonight to get a chance to see Holtby play in the big league.

If he does well, I bet one of these goalies will not be with the Caps come April.

Posted by: mattbuckley801 | January 27, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

i'm not ready to lose any of them yet...want to see how we'll do with Varly-Neuvy next year.

one more year to see if Varly is truly in injury concern.

Posted by: carsonspence | January 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

JSchon: Alzner, Neuvirth and Varly can all go down w/o waivers.

I put a post last night that Alzner would be demoted, as it was the only way to fit Holtby without Theo going on IR.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 27, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else hear that Tampa is bankrupt? Is there going to be a collection for them at the VC on Sunday so they can try to make their payroll for the month?

Posted by: jwash4472 | January 27, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

You certainly can't make a determination on the future of the Caps goaltending based on one game, no matter which way it goes (in Kolzig's first game he got shelled).

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 27, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 27, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Tom, some people can. We see it here all the time.

Posted by: JSchon | January 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I think when it comes to goalies, the Caps are going to have to realistically look at Varly and decide if he has just had some bad luck with injuries, or he is injury prone in which case we need a very strong back-up and at least a decent prospect in Hershey at all times. If Theo misses more than 2-3 games, I would really like to see Holtby play! I have been hearing such great things about him.

Posted by: capscoach | January 27, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Everyone needs to calm down about Karl Alzner. As soon as Theo is healthy, Holtby will be sent back to Hershey and Alzener will be recalled to the Capitals. With the current Collective Bargaining Agreement this is what happens from time to time. So, all the softies can just relax. Karl is going to be just fine.

Posted by: jcreech1 | January 27, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

You know somebody last night made the correct observation that GMGM made a critical signing with Knuble. I couldn't agree more but I also think BMo was a great signing as well. His point totals lately haven't been what they were at the beginning of the season but he is always quick to the puck and digging it out of the boards etc. I think it's a matter of time for his points to start coming around again. You don't work like he does and keep getting blanked in the points department. Knuble by far was the greatest signing but I think BMo should get a "honorable mention".

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 27, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the trade deadline, I'm not so sure I'd want any of our top 9 forwards or Brads to be dealt in order to improve on anything. If you want to deal Gordon, Steckel or Laing etc I think you're not upsetting too much chemistry there but this team has really gelled and don't know that you want to mess with that in order to get a Nieds or Phaneuf etc. I'm ok with giving up some prospects to get a Staois or the like or maybe even Souray. I'm just not so sure you want to give up a player in the top 9 or Brads along with picks and/or prospects to land the big Dman. I've been hearing Foote lately but why would the Avs do that? Makes no sense for them. I'm sure Chimera would be all for it knowing he played with him for a few yrs in Columbus.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 27, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Caps will not have to make a decision about Varley or Neuvirth for another couple of years. They will have bother under control for a reasonable price for a few more years. Next year they will more than likely have Neuvy and Varley as the goalies with both getting a lot of starts.

Posted by: srobert1117 | January 27, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

i'm pretty sure alzner knows the deal. he's not being sent down due to performance, just a log jam and other guys who would have to pass through waivers. you dont want to lose a guy like laing or sloan if you dont have to. thats the "problem " with being young.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I found this quote by former goalie coach Dave Prior, to be sobering:

"He has a spring-loaded style. I think you'll see a little less attack in his game, and that will make him less vulnerable to hurting himself."

Changing one's style of play to avoid injury is a tough, tough thing to do.

Posted by: C-way | January 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Start Holtby...he should have at least 7 to 8 goals of support tonight....

Posted by: SA-Town | January 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

C-way
About 3 weeks ago I said it is possible that as Varly gets more positionally consistent, then his injuries might decrease because he will not be making so many crazy saves!

Posted by: capscoach | January 27, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

to srobert1117:
Theo is a UFA at the end of this season.
Neuvy is a RFA at the end of this season. Varly is a RFA at the end of next season.

So we really DON'T have these guys for a couple of years, we need to make decisions about goaltending much sooner than you think. If that means Holtby gets a start against a Western Conference team, it may not be a bad idea.

Posted by: CapsFan103 | January 27, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy should be kept around. Varly needs to be healthy before anything can be done there. Holtby is going to be the best of the 3 in my opinion. I got to see all of them play with excellent Hershey talent. Varly is the most athletic of the 3. Neuvy is probably the most technically sound. Holtby is a fantastic combination of the 2 with a nice mean streak in him. 2 min roughing penalty last weekend was a good message sent. And he is proving to be a workhorse in Hershey.

Posted by: jbears1 | January 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Of course waivers is the reason that Alzner was sent down, not Laing or Sloan. But an advantage is that he keeps playing every game and won't be a healthy scratch like those two. Notice he's never a healthy scratch. Wherever he is, he plays. Of course waivers kills his pay check. AHL salary is $65k, NHL is $1.6m.

Posted by: Avar | January 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse