Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 03/11/2011

Braden Holtby to start against Hurricanes

By Katie Carrera

It appears as though Braden Holtby will get the start for the Capitals tonight against the Carolina Hurricanes. Michal Neuvirth came off the ice first but it was unusually early even for a morning skate and he was unhappy about something but he is healthy, I'm told.

--Alex Ovechkin, Matt Bradley, Marco Sturm and Dennis Wideman did not participate in the optional morning skate.

--Mike Green (concussion) skated this morning for the second consecutive day. Remember though, because Green is on long-term injured reserve the earliest he would be eligible to return is March 22 against Philadelphia.

--Tom Poti (groin) and Nicklas Backstrom (fractured thumb) are taking part in the scratches skate with the Capitals' assistant coaches and Jay Beagle, Tyler Sloan and D.J. King. This is one of the longer workouts that Poti has participated in recently, so that may be a good sign for the veteran defenseman who has played in only parts of 21 games this year.

Backstrom still can't take shots with the cast on his left thumb and hand but he's hopeful that it will be feeling better when they take the cast off in a few days. For practice, he's wearing a glove that has the palm cut out of it to accommodate the cast.

--Semyon Varlamov was on the ice prior to the rest of the team's morning skate. "He felt good," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "He's coming along, he's not ready to play yet but he's coming along."

By Katie Carrera  | March 11, 2011; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Braden Holtby, Carolina Hurricanes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals' goalie surplus means tough choices
Next: Line change: the NHL's response to Zdeno Chara

Comments

Saying he isn't a dirty player is COMPLETELY FALSE...

Chara= Kjell Sammuelson

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 11, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse
-------------------
Man, it's comments like these that prevent me from staying away from CI. Last night, it was someone implying that Chara was too chickenship to fight Pacioretty in a one-on-one "fair fight."

And today, comparing Chara to Kjell Sammuelson....YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING! Now, I hate the Flyers even more than the Pens, but this is the first time EVER that I've seen him described as a "dirty" player. On a dirty Flyers team in the '80s-early 90's, good ole Kjell was their annual Lady Byng candidate. By comparing Chara to Sammuelson, you've absolved him of any responsibility for the hit.

GIVE DJK A JERSEY, CANES ARE GOING DOWN!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | March 11, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't remember Sammeulson being a Lady Byng type of player. He was sneaky dirty and did most of his deeds during scrums in front of the goalie. Saying he was a L. B. candidate for a Flyers isn't saying much.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | March 11, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nimrodrsp | March 11, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I bet your definition of "sneaky dirty" is the same as mine for "competing hard."

Kjell dirty? I'm curious as to how you can back this up (players he injured, suspensions, repeated offenses, etc...). Care to expand?? I think you and soaringcaps are confusing Kjell w/ Ulf

Posted by: vermontcaps | March 11, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Ulf Samuelsson was the dirty one. Kjell was the giant oaf like Schultz. Are you sure you're not confusing them?

Posted by: chombie13 | March 11, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

When is Neuvirth going to get some love? I understand that Holtby is the hot hand, but come-on... We need Neuvirth to have some confidence going towards the playoffs and BB sitting him is not going to help. He has been yanked and held back and I have yet to see BB REALLY stand behind him the way he does with Varly. I feel for the guy.

Neuvirth and Holtby are the future. Neuvirth should get the opportunity to prove it down the stretch. He was our MVP during October and he has been playing well. Why not give him his shot?

Holtby gave him high marks on his interview about how much Neuvirth has taught him and how much he admires him...He stated that he learned a lot of his composure from Neuvirth. I still feel that BB should have started him in the Classic and I feel he should have him starting now.

I understand that Varly was the "man" in the playoffs, but he is not that same goalie this year. Neuvirth has proven he can handle the pressures and the stamina of a long playoff run... Let him get ready to do the same for us!

Posted by: Hunter21 | March 11, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think Samuelson was the guy I hated most on that Flyers squad of the 80's. He was a big thorn in the side of the Caps in those days. However, he was not the cheap shot artist that Ulf was. The comparison to 55 is pretty good, minus the big goofy stache.

Posted by: pebowers | March 11, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't really follow any of vermonts arguments for or against a player. His 55 rant is not backed by legitimate reasoning or tied to a logical explanation

Posted by: BKBK | March 11, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@hunter 21

Neuvy has gotten plenty of love. As far as Varly starting the classic that is due to him blanking Montreal the game before. That is the same reason why Holtby is in the nets again tonight.

As far a Neuvy and Holtby being our "future" dont dismiss Varly's importance to this team. His numbers are just as phenomenal. His save % and GAA are among the tops in the league. Holtby still has lots to prove. If any one is not getting the love is Varly.

Posted by: Lambros | March 11, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@hunter 21

As far a Neuvy and Holtby being our "future" dont dismiss Varly's importance to this team. His numbers are just as phenomenal. His save % and GAA are among the tops in the league. Holtby still has lots to prove. If any one is not getting the love is Varly and by love I am referring to caps fans.

Posted by: Lambros | March 11, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@Lambros

Completely agree. It's Varly not getting the love. It's VERY early, but I love Holtby.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | March 11, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@xcountrytrevor

I like what I see from Holtby as well. My comments from earlier were no disrespect to Neuvy or Holtby. We have 3 tremendous goalies. Next year should be a good indicator on who our two goalies will be moving forward

Posted by: Lambros | March 11, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@Lambros, @xcountryTrevor

All three of them are great tho' being so young, perhaps iffy for a real deep run. Still, Flyers did it last year with Boucher so anything's possible. Very glad we didn't trade for Brodeur as some rumors had us doing ahead of the season!

I think Holtby's getting press because he's gotten to this very accomplished stage so damn quickly.

Agreed with post from an earlier thread: it's time to give some credit to Irbe and the Caps organization as a whole on this one...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | March 11, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@Lambros, @xcountryTrevor

I agree with some of your points and I can see what you are talking about... My point was that no matter what Neuvy has done this year, he has been replaced as soon as someone else comes along. It also seems like the press (Vogel) and company have placed him as someone who will be a great backup goalie.

Truly, I don't care who is in net... I am just happy to be able to shut people up about our goal "issues" this year.

We have a great pool of talent here no matter what and it is nice to see that it is not riding on the back of one person to be great

Posted by: Ampboy | March 11, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

BB has never been very good dealing with goalies. As for Varly's playoff stats, he is only 10-9.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | March 11, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse