Braden Holtby recalled from Hershey

The Capitals have recalled goaltender Braden Holtby from Hershey and reassigned Dany Sabourin to the AHL. Holtby is 4-0-1 with a 1.97 goals against average and .933 save percentage through five games with the Bears this year.

Sabourin was recalled Saturday afternoon prior to Washington's 4-3 overtime win against Atlanta because Semyon Varlamov is day-to-day with an undisclosed injury that is believed to be a groin problem. The Patriot News' Tim Leone first reported it was Varlamov's groin, which caused for the 22-year-old's first stint on injured reserve this fall as well.

Also, Boyd Gordon and Tom Poti are skating here at KCI prior to the official start of practice at 10:30 a.m.

By Katie Carrera  | October 25, 2010; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  Boyd Gordon, Braden Holtby, Dany Sabourin, Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps end slide at two despite early barrage
Next: Live video chat with Coach Bruce Boudreau: Today, 12:30 p.m.

Comments

Well, this must mean Varly won't be back for the road trip. I say that because the Caps have a back to back in Raleigh and then Minnesota, so Neuvy probably will get the Minnesota game off. The organization probably feels Holtby gives us a better chance of winning than Sabourin. Who knows though. The Caps have those 3 games in 4 nights, in 3 different times zones, but then they have 3 straight days off after they're done in Calgary so if Neuvy says he can go, BB might let him.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 25, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

At what point does Varly become a liability with his recurrent injuries?

@Tominsocal

Big Bird as coach, I'd buy that...

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 25, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The Caps will play their 3rd "home opener" on the road this year. Kind of unusual for a team to have to deal with the excitement and adrenalin a team has during their first home game. The Caps were Atlanta's, Boston's, and now Carolina's. Boston and Carolina starting their seasons in Europe forced these late home openers. The Caps will have to withstand the 10 minute storm and then settle in. The 4-point game is up for grabs on Wednesday.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 25, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

"Kind of unusual for a team to have to deal with the excitement and adrenalin a team has during their first home game." I meant to add on 3 occasions to the above entry.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 25, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock

At least at this point they should be used to it. They know they need to start well and get the road trip off on the right foot. If they come out flat to start that game, that will be awful.

Posted by: ThePat | October 25, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

GMGM is starting to look smarter and smarter for signing Neuvie to that much fan-lamented 2 year contract extension. What he's going to do about Varly at the end of this year is going to be far more interesting though it's hard to see him getting signed for any long-term big dollar deal. Holtby may well be jumping ahead of the Russian on the futures chart since he appears to be capable of jumping all 365 days of the year.

Posted by: McKinley2 | October 25, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

It's about time Holtby gets his first start. He has to get his feet wet sometime.

Posted by: capscoach | October 25, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I have seen Holtby play in Hershey quite a few times and really hope the guy gets a start. He has an edge to him that Varly and Neuvy do not and is not afraid to use his stick to help clear his own crease. God knows the way forwards get to camp out in front of the net he will need to clear his own crease. I swear unless Erskine is on the ice these guys could roast hot dogs and marshmallows they get to camp out for so long.

Posted by: PhilR | October 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1:

I wonder if that is some sort of NHL record, given the oddness of being the road team fro 3 opposition's home opening games!?!?

And I hate to remind everyone... but I did call Neuvirth would earn the starters role in combination with Varly being injured all year... to the tune of 55+ starts AND all the playoffs... sometimes I like being right, this time, I've got mixed feelings (but to be fair, can remember what the last time 'being right' felt like since it was the 90's) heh! :-|

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 25, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

He sounds just like the gritty goalie we have been searching for, hopefully he can finish his checks too. jk :P

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 25, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

these were the predictions I made for Carlson, Neuvy and Johansson. Ignore MoJo's (since it's way off):

John Carlson, D, WAS, 81GP, 9G, 36A, 46Pts, +25, 33PIM, 4PPG, 11PPA, 0SHG, 1SHA, 3GWG, 9.20PCT
Michal Neuvirth, G, WAS, 55GP, 35W, 10L, 9OT, .917Save%, 2.43GAA, 4SO
Marcus Johansson, C, WAS, 77GP, 10G, 44A, 54Pts, +15, 22PIM, 2PPG, 7PPA, 1SHG, 1SHA, 2GWG, 10.50PCT

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 25, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@McKinely

Not sure what you were reading, but 95% of the people on here praised the Neuvy two year extension.

@everyone else
Carlson and Alzner are not practicing today. Poti practiced for 10 minutes before leaving. Brooks Laich and Beagle are playing D in practice.

Posted by: ThePat | October 25, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I certainly hope they get off to a good start.

Ironically, everyone who dislikes this team for its lack of physicality were quick to point out the Caps were outshot 13-4 in the 1st period even though that stat is conveniently discounted when they want to say shots don't matter, but the Caps were out hitting the Thrashers significantly after the 1st. A stat that the same people like to point out when the Caps are not leading in that category.

The Thrashers were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights as others pointed out, maybe wearing them down physically was the plan. The Thrashers did slow down after the 1st.

Also, to get critical about the Caps giving up a goal in the last minute is borderline stupid. At the game it was obvious that Kane made a sick play by hitting the puck out of mid air. What I didn't notice until I watched the replay on my DVR at home was that Schultz actually blocked the initial shot which forced the initial shot wide and Kane redirected it in. Not sure how you defend against such an outstanding deflection.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 25, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

At what point does Varly become a liability with his recurrent injuries.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1

Probably when Mike Green and Tom Poti become liabilities.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 25, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Is Johannsen practicing? My guess is that Alzner and Carlson are just a little beat up and need a maintenance day (fingers crossed)

Posted by: capscoach | October 25, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Nylander appears to be out for the season. I never wanted him here but do feel bad for the guy. He had some hockey left in him, just on a different team and with a different system but at least he's compensated handsomely.

Posted by: BorntoHula | October 25, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

-Carlson hurt.
-Poti off the ice after 10 minutes
-MarJo practicing
-Alzner excused for personal reasons.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 25, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Alzner was given day off for personal reasons. MaJo skated before practice began, and is skating as the extra guy out there.

Posted by: ThePat | October 25, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

Yeah, he is no Billy Smith with the tomohawk slashes to the back of the players legs but he has some Smith/Ron Hextall in him for sure. I really like what I have seen out of him when I have had the opportunity to watch him.

Posted by: PhilR | October 25, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, McKinley, I might even put the favorability poll on the Neuvirth contract above the 95% level that ThePat mentioned. I don't recall anyone here objecting to that contract. Now, the Poti extension, that's another matter.

I wonder if Varlamov has some type of congenital defect that is causing the recurring groin problems. It does not seem normal, even for a goalie.

Posted by: zmega | October 25, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Varly and the 'Skins Clinton Portis should compare "groin notes" and groin specialist doctors.

I'm afraid at the rate players are dropping due to injuries, Boudreau and Evason will eventually have to become player-coaches. :D

Posted by: blackjack65 | October 25, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@zmega

yeah I dont recall anyone against it, but I didnt read everything. So I left myself a slight room for error.

And Yes I agree, Poti signing not a wise move.

Posted by: ThePat | October 25, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Last post, Tominsocal suggested the Caps may want to steal Big Bird, ie Larry Robinson, from the NJD and promote him from assistant to head coach. Discuss the merits, I am all verklept.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | October 25, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Yes, good move by GMGM in signing Neuvy. I said at time the club was smart to "project" Varly as #1 and then get neuvy signed to #2 money. Now Neuvy is #1 at moment so maybe, eventually, this helps get Varly signed at a more reasonable price.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 25, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the hated Jagr had recurring groin problems. Remember - he was healed with acupuncture. Maybe they need to put varly under the needles.

A "Larry Robinson for new Coach?" poll would be interesting. I am not in favor but am wondering. I imagine we could sign him since he's an assitant, but unsure.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 25, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BorntoHul

I agree. Sad ending for Nyles. I wish him all the best.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 25, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Agreed - sad news for Nylander. What a sad way to wind up, also. Unwanted and disconnected from whatever fans he may have once had, essentially farmed out for having become too old and slow.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 25, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I volunteer to be "unwanted and disconnected" from the fans for 4.8 million dollars. Screw Nylander, he was a horrible signing and we had to eat his salary. It's a good thing we didn't have to eat his cap hit. Have fun in retirement Nylander, I wish Ted would pay me that kind of money to go away!

Posted by: chriscaps | October 25, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse