Capitals recall Braden Holtby

Goaltender Braden Holtby has been recalled from Hershey and was the first player on the ice at KCI this morning. Looks like at least one of the Capitals' netminders -- perhaps Semyon Varlamov, whom Coach Bruce Boudreau said last night wasn't feeling 100 percent -- is unavailable for the time being.

More to come on this.

UPDATE
Michal Neuvirth joined the on-ice group about 20 minutes into the session.

A team official said Varlamov is being given several days to take it easy and that it's unlikely he plays again before the final exhibition game on Sunday against Nashville at Verizon Center.

Dany Sabourin and Holtby will play against Bruins tonight at TD Garden in Boston.

By Katie Carrera  | September 29, 2010; 9:56 AM ET
Categories:  Braden Holtby, Dany Sabourin, Michal Neuvirth, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.J. King as the Capitals' 'big brother'
Next: Boudreau: 'No sense in taking any chances' with injuries in preseason

Comments

Time to resign Jose. Varlamov will start 20-some games this year and again find himself as our playoff starter.

Posted by: larryn703 | September 29, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

How disappointing. No theorist discussing the Varlamov and Fleischmann trades? Everyone sleeping late?

Posted by: hock1 | September 29, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

If Varly gets traded I will be absolutely shocked and GMGM better be getting one heck of a return!

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

It is very curious though that first Flush and then Varly were named not quite 100 percent just prior to game time. Could the Devils be trying to get their replacement for Brodeur and the Caps get Zajac and Salvador in return for Flash and Varly?

Just trying to please hock1 and begin the theorist discussion!!

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I said it before and will say it again, they should have traded him when his value was high. With another injury (speculating) his value takes yet another hit. Trade him now. Neuvy is our #1.

Posted by: kkd76 | September 29, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Jeebus H. Christmas Varly!

Posted by: ThisGuy | September 29, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts about the game? I saw the online feed - when it was working. Eakin looked super comfortable out there, Johannson looked a bit smaller than I had thought he would be.

Looks like Baby Gus and Kugryshev might get top 6 spots in Hershey (at least until more players are cut..)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | September 29, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I think Varly is sick and Flash is well just being Flash and decided to disappear for a little while. They are trying to find him still. Dont get your hopes up on a trade.

Posted by: ThePat | September 29, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game and here our some observations:

1. Tyler Sloan is awful.
2. The three young Centers had pretty solid games.
3. MaJo who I have been skeptical of is clearly the best hockey player of the 3 young Centers. He's smooth, defensively responsible, and has good vision. He is weak along the boards.
4. I think MP will come up short and will be in Hershey.
5. Eakin is going to be an awesome 3C for this team in a year. He has energy, plays gritty and finishes checks in the corners.
6. Neuvy was solid after the 1st softy goal.
7. If every roster spot was truly open David Steckel or Boyd Gordon would clearly not have a job. And based on the end of last season and tonight, Steckel is in a tough spot.
8. DJ King's fight was pretty solid.
9. I hope we trade Flash and finally
10. I really hope we trade Flash.

Posted by: ThePat | September 28, 2010 10:41 PM

thx for the recap. You realize you're dissin Capt Kirk's numero uno favorite player! He's about to put his phaser on stun.

too bad about Sloan, I was hoping he'd take some kind of giant leap and at least replace what we lost in ShaMo. What did he do or not do that was so bad?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Flash was on the trade market radar this summer and he seems the odd man out, so I see GMGM pulling him in advance of a possible trade. Varly, on the other hand, has been gimpy in the past, so a precautionary preseason pullout, not only serves as some nice alliteration, it also makes sense. At least in my world, it does. Plus, the Caps can lose Flash and be fine. They cannot afford to lose Varly without getting a bona fide starting goalie back. Letting Jose go this summer makes no sense in a Varly trade. Whereas, three young centers performing well makes Flash superflous and expensive.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 29, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah, and also too bad about Steckel. I'm pulling for the big guy. He's a valuable asset if he can keep up with the play. But if Hendricks takes his job I can live with it.
Ideally I'd want to see Hendricks take Chimmycarter's job and have Beagle or Steckel play the 4th line center. Anything to inject more grit onto the bottom 2 lines.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

On Sloan in the first period alone he just fumbled the puck quite a few times. Held it too long and let to B's get to him in the corner before he could clear it. He gets caught watching rather than reacting.

Positives for him last night is that he still has his skating ability. He does stay at home and never joins the rush. He did get better after the first period. But just imagining him in the lineup for half the season or more is a terrifying thought. Erskine should be a lock for that 6th spot on most nights.

Posted by: ThePat | September 29, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat & CStanton:

I only saw the first period from my computer and had a very blah impression of Sloan. Looked a little confused in the defensive zone with his positioning, didn't look very strong in the few puck battles I saw, passing looked weak. But that impression might have been skewed by two things: 1. You can't really get a good objective look at the overall play from the computer screen. 2. My opinion is that Sloan (while not awful) will never be anything but what he is: a depth call-up at best. Thus, if I already hold the opinion that Sloan can't improve, I'm less likely to interpret any improvement from watching one period on a computer screen!

As our only hitting defenseman, I think Erskine brings more to the table than Sloan and should get the majority of the playing time as #6 this year.

Posted by: struggler | September 29, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Just a gut feeling, but I think Neuvy will be the goalie out the door if a trade were to happen. I think the organization is extremely high on Varly given his strong play in the playoffs and ability to steal games for this team. Also, of the two, he was the only one asked to (or did) come back early to work with the conditioning coach. On the other hand, Neuvy is a young, unproven goalie with a great AHL resume,cost certainty for the next 3 years and could reasonably play of backup role for a few years. He'd be perfect for teams like the Flames, Rangers, Devils or any other team looking down the road.

Posted by: ablake70 | September 29, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The player on the ice I had the most concerns about last night was Brooks Laich. It looked like he was having all kinds of trouble with the puck - more so than usual.

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

And apparently Flash is still missing as he is not on the ice skating this morning with either of the two groups

Posted by: ThePat | September 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@The Pat: Haha, I swear your post was not listed yet when I posted mine. Sounds like I plagiarized you!

Posted by: struggler | September 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

On a side note, I hope they are holding Varlamov out as a precaution and rather than for an actual injury. Ditto on Fleischmann. Despite the group of you who want to see him gone, I see his value to the team, and am not going to be hasty in demanding his trade.

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat: this is good news for most of us who want Flash traded. Even if the plot isn't actually thickening inside GMGM's office, it's awfully fun to speculate that the plot is thickening!! What we need is a comment from somebody who attended whatever was the last practice Flash participated in, whether that be on Monday or during the morning skate on Tuesday. Did anything happen that would result in a minor injury? Any bumps whatsoever?

Posted by: struggler | September 29, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

i agree with everyone that sloan looked pretty freakin bad last night.

MaJo looks basically like another backstrom out there to me, but i think the call will go to Perrault

-maybe the Varly rumors may be true...him and flash mysteriously scratched before the game (don't want them injured)...neuvy just resigned for 2 more years..holtby recalled today

but I don't think GMGM would ever trade Varly

Posted by: _stevo | September 29, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Another reason Varly is highly unlikely to be traded is that the demand for goalies in the NHL is very low right now. Look what happened to quality free agents, it took Niemi a while to find a spot. Because of that, I just can't see a team, as of today, giving up anything of consequence to acquire Varly.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 29, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@struggler

haha i believe you.

Posted by: ThePat | September 29, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I think it would be insanity to trade either of those goalies at this point. Yes, if you keep them both you run the risk of one of them losing his trade value. But they are both relatively unproven, and if you trade one, you run the much bigger risk of the one you keep being a bust. I do NOT want to wind up with our version of Carey Price and some random veteran backup.

Posted by: struggler | September 29, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I am NOT demanding a Flash trade. I think he is one of the better pieces of bait to fish out there because he is a proven scorer in the NHL and the Caps have plenty of wings who can score. So the Caps can afford to trade one away, esp a finesse player who has not shown up in the playoffs yet. By the same token, the Caps serioulsy lack a nasty, S@H blueliner who can skate and pass. If the Caps can trade Flash for such a blueliner, I say, "Oh happy day!"

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 29, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

--------------

i think the big challenge for Marcus will be to emulate the other little things that Backstrom does NOW that he didn't do before. Most of it comes from physical and emotional maturity. The question is, is Marcus's playmaking and vision worth having him in the lineup if he ends up being weak in some other areas.

@struggler/Pat

I think as long as Bruce is coach, Sloan eats up at least the 7th spot. Bruce likes Tyler, probably more for his skating and size than what he's actually able to accomplish defensively. And because of that I'm pulling for Sloan to make some significant improvement and build on his play v Montreal where I thought he played decently. The Caps internal scouts had pegged Sloan as a good enough prospect to make ShaMo expendable. I didn't agree with that at all but you know, I'm just a fan.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

cstanton,

The fact that Sloan was 1m cheaper than ShaMo didn't hurt either.

Posted by: Steve_R | September 29, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo

wondering what Perrault's "maturity problems" were last year. I did hear he missed a practice (too much drinkee) and was shipped down soon after. Perhaps this year the puck bunnies will give him a little slack or at least help him set the alarm clock...(Not that I blame him at all, mind you.)

I like 8.5 (and Aucoin) but still kind of see him and Flash as holding down the fort until Eakin, Mojo, Kuznetsov can play in the top 6...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | September 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Sloan is what Sloan is basically. MaJo is the real deal. He's one of the best skaters out there and has great vision. Like I mentioned last night, his only real weakness is his play on the boards. The question will be do you keep him with that being his one weakness or MP and Flash two awful defensive centers??? I think MaJo is here and MP goes to Hershey, but if they move Flash its solved.

Posted by: ThePat | September 29, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

MJ is young and will learn to work the boards. He has a good work ethic and is very coachable, from what I can tell. I would like to see MJ as either 2nd or 3rd line center come opening night. What line depends on who is or is not traded or traded for, how well MJ is developing, how well other centers are developing and meshing with lines, and the chemisty with linemates.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 29, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

cstanton,

The fact that Sloan was 1m cheaper than ShaMo didn't hurt either.

Posted by: Steve_R

cheaper doesn't mean squat if he doesn't measure up. I think the Caps scouts liked Sloan because BB recommended Sloan. That's my personal opinion. And the fact he can skate well and has some size seems to be what we look for in our dmen.

Even before Sloan ever got a chance or anyone had even heard of him up here, I knew he'd get a shot with the Caps once Bouds was announced as coach. He used Sloan extensively in Hershey, it was obvious he was one of Bruce's go-to guys down there and he used him both at forward and on D. I knew it was just a matter of time before Sloan shed his "journeyman" label and got a chance. That kind of stuff happens frequently when minor league coaches get promoted. They will give certain players an opportunity who otherwise would never get a sniff at the nhl.

Frankly, I thought Sloan looked decent in Hershey the last yr Bruce was down there so I wasn't really against the move of seeing what he could do up here.

But he looks like he's pretty far away from being able to give at least what Mo brought to the team.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

-------------

i would prefer to heavily minimize the # of players who are weak along the boards. That's a HUGE component of a winning team, esp a 2nd line player who gets a lot of ice time. If he's consistently losing battles for the puck or completely disinterested in board battles, he's a liability on the ice despite his ability to carry the puck from one zone to the other.

And that becomes amplified when his linemates have the same weaknesses. Frankly, as much as I'm looking forward to seeing Fehr, his strength along the boards is in question as well. And if Semin's the other winger, forget about it. You're going to once again have a line that doesn't play well defensively and doesn't play well down low. I realize Marcus's overall defensive game isn't in question, but if at least 2 of the 3 players on a line don't or can't play effective hockey along the boards then its going to lead to issues. Esp in the playoffs.

If MaJo gets crowbarred into this lineup I hope he shows ample improvement in this one area before the playoffs start. It took Backstrom 2+yrs to do it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I don't disagree with you on that but MP and Flash dont really win board battles either. So the difference between those 3 players along the boards isn't much. The difference between them in the defensive zone or getting back to the defensive zone is obvious. MaJo gets that aspect of the game, the other 2 do not.

Posted by: ThePat | September 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

King's fight last night was absolutely pointless. The only value I see was that he at least mentioned that Campbell is now on his radar for the future. King's main value to the team will result from him responding when other teams mess with our stars, either by taking on the offending player directly or an equivalent star from the other team. Having King fight the other team's tough guy has no more relevance to the game than having a volleyball exhibition between periods.

Posted by: zmega | September 29, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi

i didn't hear that about perrault last season.

I would like to think that if he makes the caps this year some of the vets won't let that happen

Posted by: _stevo | September 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton: I disagree about Fehr's ability along the boards. I thought he was immensely improved in this category last year to the point of being "adequate," with "adequate" meaning "better than average." He was able to shield the puck against most defenders and emerge to make a pass. He started finishing checks in the corners. He started using his size to win pucks that he didn't already have possession of. Better than average is something I can live with. Especially since his slow improvement in this category did not appear to plateau last season, I fully expect continued improvement and will be disappointed if I don't see it.

Posted by: struggler | September 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

after last nights game, Carlson > Alzner. i got a little nervous last night when more than once Alzner or Carlson led the charge into the Boston zone. Led a couple of times to a forward having to try to guard against a stretch pass. that said, carlson is better at it than Alzner.

Posted by: doughless | September 29, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Can we find out from the players how the quality of the ice surface was last night. I know it was cold in there. And now that Ted owns the place just wondering if he made the changes that needed to be made to have a quality sheet of ice.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | September 29, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

King should pummel Campbell after that super-cheap hit on OV last night. that said, i feel it is about time for OV to learn to stick up for himself. if he wants to play the rough stuff, he should at least be willing to drop them mitts.

Posted by: doughless | September 29, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

A sub-headline we will see far too often in Katie's columns this season "Varlamov Injured in Caps Win..."

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 29, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I have been on record as not being a GMGM hater... yet. But I have also demonstrated a willingness to be critical about many aspects of his management. I can potentially chalk up another one:

BB has every right to have favorites, as does every coach. However, GMGM has more than a simple vested interest in seeing all of his draft picks maximized to their full potential. It is the coach's responsibility to maximize the potential of the team that gets fielded. It is the GM's responsibility to provide the coach with the team to field. To me, this means that GMGM should sit BB down and say, "your leash extends [this far]. But your freedom ends when it comes down to favoring your favorites over the players I have projected as having better potential than your favorites.

The one point I keep harping on here is: Fehr should be on the right side on the 2nd line with Semin back at his natural LW position. Laich drops down to 3rd line C where his potential is maximized, rather than being an "adequate" 2nd line winger. I love Laich guys, how can any of us not love the guy? But this guy will never be a better 2nd liner than he has already been, while Fehr deserves an extended audition in that role to see if he can outperform Laich.

Posted by: struggler | September 29, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega |

heavyweights need tuneups. That's why a guy like King who is a little rusty needs to get involved and reacclimated. That's why he most likely did it. Also I'm sure to give his new teammates a taste of what they can look fwd to.

If I had to break down the elements of what a good heavyweight can do for a team

1) Makes everyone else play a little bigger

2) Can spark a team with a fight

3) Better also be a consistently heavy hitter

4) Doesn't relegate his "enforcing" to strictly the other team's goon. A guy like Colton Orr for example will get in anyone's face, whether its a tough guy or a skill player and anything in between. You don't intimidate other team's tough guys, you try and intimidate his teammates. That's the real benefit.

5) Deterrent for cheap shots.

I put this at the bottom of the list for a reason. Some fans (at least around here) seem to think that a heavyweight will just automatically stop cheap shots on their players. That will never happen. A heavy can minimize to a degree the cheap shots that his teammates take. But the best deterrent for cheap shots is team toughness. Of which I'd rank the Caps in the bottom third of the league. If not lower. Teams like Vancouver have good team toughness. They're scrappy thru their lineup. As is Calgary, Philly, Rags, Leafs, etc. And now the Senators as well with the introduction of players like Foligno, Winchester, Zack Smith, Cody Bass, Jim O'Brien. All these kids are strong tenacious forwards. Add them to the likes of Chris Neil, Mike Fisher, Ruutu and the Senators have some quality grinders on their bottom 3 lines. Atlanta's the new scrappy team on the block at least on paper. They still have to prove it on the ice.

The best way for the Caps to gain some physical respect on the ice is to get as many gritty players (forwards) who can play a regular shift into the lineup. Guys like AGordo, Pinner, Beagle, Hendricks, etc. And dump the Chimeras, BGordos, Flashs.

Defensively we're a very soft team and I don't see any help coming down the pike anytime soon.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Why didn't Campbell get the 2, 5, and 10 for that hit? Oh ... because he's just a role player ...

Posted by: cwiseman | September 29, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

@struggler

I agree with your sentiment about BB, GMGM and the favorites. And agree Laich is best suited on the 3rd line, I'd even try him at 3C if Flash is traded. Chimera-Laich-A. Gordon or Laich-Hendricks-A.Gordon would be a 3rd line I'd enjoy watching.

Posted by: ThePat | September 29, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton: I disagree about Fehr's ability along the boards
-----------------

i think he's improved. But he's not by any stretch a great board battler. I'd put Laich and Bradley ahead of Fehr in that category. Part of that comes from the fact that Fehr's money has always been close in to the net. He's never had to really learn to cycle the puck down low. I hope to see continued improvement from him as well and didn't intend to overstate my case that he was weak along the boards. He's not weak, he's just very average for a kid his size.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2010 10:45 AM

I'm glad you brought this up. I found myself seeing the exact same thing last night. It's preseason and he is definitely in preseason form. I'll chalk it up to an off night, but will definitely be keeping my eye on him for the first few weeks.

Posted by: Fro_2 | September 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Everyone hung over from last night? Man, it's quiet in here today!

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Weird, none of these posts were here until I posted something.....and I have been hitting refresh for over an hour now. This is a strange site.

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

i'll tell you one thing, if we end up with a lineup that looks anything like this on our bottom 2 lines---

chimpanzee-MP/Flash-Laich
Brads-BGordo-King

we lose. The only real opportunity given the kind of depth we have at 3rd/4th line forward to inject some youthful pee n vinegar is on our bottom 2 lines. The bottom 2 lines need to be occupied by 6 of the following 7--

Laich/Hendricks/AG/Brads/Beags/Pinner/King

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

odd about Varley...seriously...what's the deal?

Is he injured? Is he stick? Is he in the dog house already?

Just to tell him to go home for a few days??

We couldn't get a box of USED pucks for Flash...send him to Nylander's house.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | September 29, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I smell trade, and the fact that there are no rumors floating around …hmmm

Posted by: guer_j | September 29, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Varly is in Nylander's house with Flash, looking for his stick and a loose bag of pucks, hahaha.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 29, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Yep, it is way to quiet for something not to be up. The little tweaks and pain thing I'm just not buying. And I'm thinking it must be significant considering the players involved in said "tweaks." Maybe the move we have been waiting all summer for is about to be pulled off.

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

And Nylander's house is a dog house, rofl. I just love some assine posts.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 29, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

hershey's got 2 interesting roster invites.

Several yrs ago there was this kid named Wes O'Neill who was projected to be a 1st round pick. Big dman who was mobile. But his stock fell leading upto the draft and he eventually fell to the 4th round (Isles). Guess he didn't get signed and bounced around with the Avs. Last yr he tried to play upto his size which has always been the knock on him. He got TKO'd a few times but bounced back and never let up. Very commendable.

anyway, he's at Hershey camp now. I think he's about 6ft5.

the other guy is Lincoln Kayleigh Schrock. No lie, that's his name. And he goes by Kayleigh!

looks to be a pretty gritty player who scored a few goals in the IHL last yr. Built sorta like SDR. Here's a good lil scrap of his. #79. He had a ridiculous 29 fights last yr and he's not even a goon.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@struggler

I think a big reason Semin play RW on the 2nd line instead of LW is because of Ovie's long shifts. The LW on the second line will see less time than the other two positions because of Ovie often staying out longer. So in response to this the coaches moved Semin to RW to maximize his time on the ice and also getting a little playing time with Ovie during line changes(when Ovie stays on longer).

Posted by: sgm3 | September 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

asinine, opps, facepalm

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | September 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton01 - definitely agreed that Hendricks and A. Gordon would be good choices for bottom two lines. Not sure of need to demote Laich from 2nd line. Beags doesn't seem like an NHL skater (but what do I know).

@sgm3 - re: Semin - exactly as both GMGM and BB explain it. The Caps played one of their best games when all their players took short shifts (last year in Denver). I wish they were more disciplined there...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | September 29, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

------

there are times Beags doesn't look like an nhl skater, and then other times it seems like he'd fit right in. I guess it depends on WHERE you play him. Center or Wing.

I don't know how that 2nd line is shaping up. Will it have MaJo centering Laich and Semin? Or will it have MaJo centering Semin and Fehr with Semin dropping to the LW? and where does Flash play?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1, you are cracking me up with your nicknames for Chimera. But seriously, why are you down on him? Did we really get a long enough look at him last year?

Posted by: dccitizen1 | September 29, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse