Caps reassign Eakin, Holtby and Nycholat

The Capitals have sent Cody Eakin back to his junior team, the WHL's Swift Current Broncos while Braden Holtby and Lawrence Nycholat have been assigned to Hershey.

Also, Tomas Fleischmann is back out on the ice after missing Wednesday's session and being a late scratch in Tuesday's game against the Bruins.

More to come from today's afternoon practice.

By Katie Carrera  | September 30, 2010; 1:10 PM ET
Categories:  Braden Holtby
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Alex Ovechkin commercial outtakes
Next: Boudreau on Cody Eakin: 'He's very close'

Comments

Boo, woulda liked to have seen Eakin play a couple real games. Oh well, guess we will see him later in the year via Hershey once his juniors team is done.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

this sounds about right. nice to see they are still keeping the potential 2C and 3C guys around to get to see everything they have to offer

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 30, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Eakin will probably still get called up for a game or 2

Posted by: capscoach | September 30, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Katie's article on Cody said he'll be Captain back with the Broncos this year, so that oughta be good leadership experience too. He definitely made a good impression in camp and preseason, so it's just a matter of time and seasoning. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | September 30, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce
----

he loses his Junior eligibility the moment he dresses for an NHL game... and he would have had to stay with the caps all year, too young to be assigned to the AHL... so no, this would be bad for his development IMHO... this is the best move for his development and career... no rush for him here now... play the AHL next year and then the caps in 12-13...

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 30, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

he can't be called up until his junior season is over. at which point he'll more than likely head straight to Hershey.

Posted by: ThePat | September 30, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

I was told he could play 10 games in the pros and still be sent down to juniors. Not until he exceeds 10 will he be locked in a Caps jersey and unable to send down to the AHL. But once sent down, cannot be called up until after the completion of the junior season. And I agree he will go to Hershey at the junior season end.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 30, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI:

I stand corrected! good call!

The avalanche did it with Duchense and O'Reilly last season:

"The Colorado Avalanche on Monday confirmed that it plans to keep 18-year-old rookie centers Matt Duchene and Ryan O'Reilly on the roster through Friday's 10th game of the season, against Carolina at home.

That move would all but commit the Avalanche to keeping the two young players through the rest of the season rather than return them to their major junior teams: the Brampton Battalion (Duchene) and the Erie Otters (O'Reilly)."

taken from:

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 30, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

OT: but it looks like the Pens will have to suffice with Crosby and Malkin down the middle well into the season... Staal is out a while:

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 30, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@thepat

well that sucks!

Posted by: capscoach | September 30, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

But if the Caps kept Eakin that would meant that MJ would definitely have to go. And if he is unwilling to go to the AHL(I have no idea if he is, but his contract allows him to go back to Sweden), then the Caps had to decide between MJ and Eakin.

I think they knew Eakin was going back to juniors and being captian there and playing the world juniors this year should help out his development.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I kinda hope eakins junior team misses the playoffs...he is too good to be there, and the AHL wouldhave been good for him this season...could we have sent him overseas to something like the SEL? At least there he would have learned to play against bigger guys.

Posted by: capscoach | September 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

What time is practice today, anybody know?

I have to run over to Kettler anyway, this could work out!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | September 30, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach. He is still the property of his junior team so I doubt he could have gone anywhere.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Capscoach,

But he'd be playing on a different sized rinks and have to play a style that he'd have to unleard when he got back here, no? Third man high as center I think is what BB is trying to get MJ to forget about.

Posted by: Steve_R | September 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"But if the Caps kept Eakin that would meant that MJ would definitely have to go. " - sgm3

Assuming we couldnt Flush Flush. :)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I bet MJ would be willing to play in the AHL...he obviously would not have to be there long, and he eventually has to get used to a N-American rink. Once he gets used to the speed of the NHL I think he is pretty much ready.

Posted by: capscoach | September 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I really doubt MJ will be playing 3rd line center...he seems to be more of a finess guy and is very responsible on D...that makes him much more suited for 2nd line duty. Maybe MP can play 3rd line C

Posted by: capscoach | September 30, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I like Eakin but I think sgm is right. I would have liked to seen him get a game or two but we are already having issues with who we are going to send down and keeping Eakin just makes it worse and if he has a strong start and we kept him up we would be in a position where we had to keep him even if he started to struggle. I think this is what is best for him and the team. He gets to learn some leadership in the WHL as a captain and can get some time in Hershey when his season is done and can be ready to make the team next year.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I am outraged.

Zubrus
Pettinger
Eminger
Chris bourque
Kolzig

Where does it end?

Posted by: LesGrossman | September 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo almost sure it was at 1 so you just missed it.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

---------------

I think this is probably correct, but one thing that could be at play is there is a lot of pressure from their domestic hockey federations on guys, if they're not going to make the big club in the NHL, to play in their domestic league. And if that league is one as good as the SEL, kind of hard to argue with that logic.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | September 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I wondered how Nycholat could be assigned w/o waivers, and the answer is he must have signed an AHL contract, not an NHL or even a two-way deal.

I checked on cap geek. Caps have 48 players signed to NHL deals, and the max allowed under CBA is 50. Not much wiggle room there.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 30, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Ah damn it, thanks though icehammer!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | September 30, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

What are you talking about Les?

Posted by: Steve_R | September 30, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I am outraged. This is just another blunder in a long series of GREAT players thrown under the bus.

Zubrus
Pettinger
Eminger
Chris bourque
Kolzig

Where does it end?

Posted by: LesGrossman | September 30, 2010 2:01 PM |

What????

Posted by: thomas20 | September 30, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@LesGrossman:

You are kidding.... right? It's hard to tell because sooooo many Caps fans did think Kolzig was a "great player."

@Anybody interested:

I wrote a long and impassioned essay on Kolzig that I posted on the Bog, but it doesn't look like anybody is visiting the Bog. Would love to hear the opinions of many people on here whose opinions I have come to respect!

Posted by: struggler | September 30, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a bit confused with your comment too, Les.

Posted by: j3rockstar | September 30, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I am an extremely sarcastic person so I think LES was being sarcastic; at least I hope.

Posted by: ATOMIX1 | September 30, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@LesGrossman - You think that sending Eakin to Swift Current is throwing him under the bus? Hardly. The boy's 19 years old, and won't see 20 until May. He cannot play in Hershey until Swift Current's season is done; he will be Captain in Swift Current, which will get him valuable leadership experience. This is good for him. It really is.

Posted by: irockthered | September 30, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

struggler,

Yea, Olie toward the end was rough. His play was costing the team games, a change had to happen.

Posted by: Steve_R | September 30, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Re: LesGrossman

Further compounding our confusion of whether he is joking or not...

The selection of his screen name, on the face of it, appears to be an indication that he's joking. But the character Les Grossman (Tropic Thunder), despite being a bad guy, was the only SMART guy in the movie.

So is he joking about these players being thrown under the bus because he's a fan of comedic movies? Or is he serious about them being thrown under the bus because he perceives himself as a smart, shrewd businessman?

Again, it's only the Kolzig comment that gives any indication that he might be serious...

Posted by: struggler | September 30, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Re: The Les Grossman controversy:

Compounding our confusion is his name choice.

Do we assume he is joking because he selected the name of a character from a funny movie, Tropic Thunder?

Or do we assume he is serious because that character, while evil, was the only smart person in the movie? Thus, does our Les Grossman perceive himself as a shrewd businessman who sees what other people do not see?

Please enlighten us Les! We gotta know if we can trust the positions you take in future posts! ; )

Posted by: struggler | September 30, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve_R: Thanks for reading.

@All: Sorry for double post.

Posted by: struggler | September 30, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Les was kidding, clearly.

I'm thinking moving Eakin down is just as much about keeping spots open for A. Gordon and Hendricks as it is about MP or Johannson.

I think DJ King was a mistake - I don't think we need him and I think each time a guy plays in this league who can do little else but stage fights we've damaged the game. The problem is once one side starts using the poison gas cannisters so does the other side. I couldn't root for that approach to the game. I hope next year we just have guys who play the game and some muscle as well to complement the skill people. Detroit doesn't have an enforcer and they're the north star in this league..

Posted by: RedLitYogi | September 30, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Yogi,

And Philly is full of thugs and the make it to the finals.

Posted by: Steve_R | September 30, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

they make it to the finals. can't type today

Posted by: Steve_R | September 30, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

No surprise Eakin was sent down with the logjam of players fighting for spots here. Another year of juniors isn't going to hurt him.

Struggler- Agree about Kolzig, always thought he was a bit overrated. I did like him and thought he was a good goalie but never a great goalie.

Also, I think LesGrossman is laughing his a*s off at the attention that post got but I could be wrong.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | September 30, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi

for the most part every single caps player as well as BB feels better now that DJK is on the team. Detriot does have Downey and last season got May too

Posted by: _stevo | September 30, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I thought I remembers seening a article somewhere where MJ said he wanted to play in the AHL over Sweeden. I remember it because cstanton and I were going back and forth about if it was better to play in juniors here or in Europe and he used MJ as an example of someone saying they wanted to learn the NA game. If that is true I see him getting sent down anyway. Like it or not BB and the team already have Backstrom, Flash, and B. Gordon/Steckel as the 1st, 2nd, and 4th line centers so between Perreault and MJ only one is going to make the team and looking at the preseason lineups it looks like Perreault has the edge plus he has some NHL expericne so the jump won't be as big.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Guys - "LesGrossman" ended up at the wrong "Insider" and just felt the need to comment.

I am increasingly convinced that MaJo is being viewed as 2C so Flash is expendable. And Perrault is a lock for 3C. Chimera - Perrault - Fehr may be the line of the year for the Caps.

The trade for Flash should really go down before the season begins. Maybe Toronto (I would pine for Beauchemin and NOT Komisarek), maybe the Flames (Regehr ofcourse)...tick tock..tick tock

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | September 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@_steveo, @steve_r

I do feel the "poison gas" analogy applies: each player like DJ King or David Koci just means that there are that many more players out on the ice who might damage someone who can play without themselves bringing anything to the game. If a player on the team we root for injures a Malkin or a Mike Richards, do we win or lose? We lose, because the game loses a major player. Thus, I'm looking at this not as a fan of the Caps, but as a fan of the game.

BTW, I feel Hendricks, by contrast, is a good pickup - he can play and he evidently can skate, also. There is some violence inherent in the game - I wouldn't do away with all of it, but would prefer that the players remember - as they did post-lockout - that they are part of a fraternity before they are part of their teams, and that they should hit hard when it's appropriate but they should respect each other as well.

I do run on here a bit, but again, looking at the old Howe film on THN a few months back I was struck by how much less violent the game was - at least that Stanley Cup game. The players had a great deal of focus - the action was very intense and very much focused on the puck and possession of it, but, although a good hard check did occur now and then, no one was running around looking to hit anyone, they were very intensely focused on the object of the game itself. The attempt to make a big hit - alas, Ovie played too many video games, imho - is that always wise? I'd say since it implies a loss of control and focused perception in that moment, it actually probably fails more often than it succeeds.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | September 30, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@political

I also would really like to see a chimera/MP/Fehr line

Posted by: capscoach | September 30, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"I thought I remembers seening a article somewhere where ..."
Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 3:33 PM

Yikes! Please make an effort not to murder the Queen's English.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | September 30, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

It will be shocking to me if Flash does not start the year as 2C.

Posted by: zmega | September 30, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Guys MaJo is better than Perrault right now. He does not need to go play in Hershey. If we want the best 23 man team MaJo is on the opening night roster.

Posted by: ThePat | September 30, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Ovie-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Flash-Semin
Chimera-MP85-Fehr

that looks pretty good for a top 3

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 30, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Can we put Eakin in Flash's jersey and send Flash down to juniors? I mean no one would notice right?

*is kidding*
...
*mostly*

Posted by: Raber | September 30, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Flash stinks. I'd rather have MP85 or MJ90 start. For some reason the Caps like to have a lot of lightweights hanging around.

Posted by: doughless | September 30, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Raber | September 30, 2010 4:04 PM

They would notice the minute playoffs started. The Broncos coach would say, "Hey, anyone seen Cody?"

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 30, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Ovie-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Flash-Semin
Chimera-MP85-Fehr

that looks pretty good for a top 3

Posted by: FrankM73

That is pretty good. I still like the idea of moving Fehr up to the 2nd line with Semin moved to 2nd line LW. Then Lacih as 3rd line LW with either MJ or MP and possibly AGordon as 3rd line RW.

I think a Laich/MP/AGordon could be a pretty good 3rd line. Having MJ instead MP would be pretty good too.

The negative is that Chimera goes down to 4th line LW, with Steckel/BGordon/Hendricks at center and Bradly at RW.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 30, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@Wiley_One1 I noticed that as it was posing but with no edit function I couldn't change it to remembered.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

question for sunday's preseason game....starts at 1230 or 330?

Posted by: _stevo | September 30, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I am going to make a not so bold prediction. MJ goes down to the minors to start the season and Flash is our #2 center. Flash plays well but MJ adjusts fast and leads the Bears in scoring. The Caps find someone who has some centers hurt and trade Flash for either a D or a pick depending on the team and what they have. Then MJ gets called up and either plays 2nd or 3rd line center depending on how MP is doing on the 3rd line.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"I noticed that as it was posing but with no edit function I couldn't change it to remembered."
Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 4:14 PM
You do know that there is no such word as "seening" ?

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | September 30, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@Stevo the Caps site says 12:30 so I would guess that is right.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Another good thing sending Eakin back besides the captaincy for his jr. team, but he should make Team Canada this year for the World Juniors in Buffalo. That will be another good thing for his development.

Posted by: BBDwrestling | September 30, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

i think talbot can move into the center role. Then maybe they 3rd line it with Talbot centering Asham and Kennedy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Nycholat is on a AHL only deal. The Caps would have to sign him to a two-way deal for him to even be called up. Same deal as it was with Helmer in the beginning

Posted by: casser | September 30, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

what about comrie?

Posted by: Steve_R | September 30, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

what about comrie?

Posted by: Steve_R | September 30, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@ Wiley, yes I know I was typing quickly and made a mistake or two. Since you are the grammar police feel free to come shoot me.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 30, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Wiley: Have you never misspeled any words?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 30, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

seareusly? knit-piking about werds peepull! joovanile!

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 30, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Wiley didn't see the backlash 'Illicited' upon the poster who corrected Katy yesterday.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | September 30, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

its ELICIT! If you're gonna put it in quotes at least spell it correctly! Sheesh!

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 30, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I CAN'T TELL WHO'S BEING SARCASTIC AND WHO'S BEING EARNEST!!!!!

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 30, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Most people here, myself included, were very impressed with Squeaks (i.e. Eakin). I'm sure he's ready for Hershey, without any problem. He's "iffy" for being ready for the Caps (or is less ready than Perreault and Mackan).

He is probably better served by going back to juniors where he can be in a leadership role and excel (and should be in the World Junior games as well). He's probably technically too "good" for juniors but will be well served in the leadership role.

(How were the Caps able to send Carlson to Hershey last year since he's only a year older than Eakin? But he has a January birthday and Eakin has a May birthday. Is there a date cutoff?)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 30, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@stevie_in_gp

So should our next topic of discussion be "the importance of being earnest"?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 30, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

(Yeah, exactly, CapsF. That's my CI/Wilde-ian version of Steve Carrell's "VERY LOUD NOISES!" yell in "Anchorman.")

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 30, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

As we all know, there are those out there who say the regular season is "meaningless"...

Which of course raises the question of how such folks feel about the pre-season--since, after all, you can't divide by zero...

(yes I am the Math Police, answerable only to the Math Attorney General tominsocal1--hahahaha).

That said, here are my thoughts about things so far:

1) Good to see the new kids--and also the added sandpaper (such as it is) performing well.

2) 4-0 is nice, even if it is "meaningless"

3) Just for S&G's,I did some light research and found that St. Louis (the team, not the player) was the NHL's top PK performer last season. They killed 86.8% of their penalties, and only 12.2% separated them from league-worst Toronto at 74.6%. The Caps--though ranked 25th--were only 8 percentage points off the Blue's mark.

The Caps have so far allowed only one--that's right: one--power play goal-against in 20 PK opportunities this pre-season; that works out to a PK percentage of 95%...not bad at all for a team that is said to be "suspect defensively".

Granted, the Caps performance in this category thus far is an extremely small statistical sample, but still not bad by any standard. So, if the Caps can successfully add a serious penalty kill to their host of other weapons this season, then look out!

4) It seems that--while we did not acquire big-name veterans for the 2C/1D or get rid of the player some say is this season's Nylander (#14), these things may not end up being the crises we once thought they were. Of course, it is too early to say for sure.

In conclusion, we are seeing a possible hint of where the rubber meets the road--or where the blade meets the ice in this case.

IMO, There is still much work to do. It won't be easy, and there will be stressful moments, to be sure.

That said, I believe that this year's Caps team may turn out be the best yet--even if we don't score as many goals as last season.

I am starting to feel better and better about our Cup chances.

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 30, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Watching Montreal on NHL Network. Brings back some horrible memories. Horrible.

Before we talk about lines, who stays and who goes? We have way too many forwards right now.

Flash
MP
MJ
Hendrickson
Chimera
A. Gordon
B. Gordon
Steckel
Bradley
King
Beagle

How many of these guys can we carry? Anyone else think we should waive two of these three: Steckel, Chimera, or Boyd. Do you think any of them would be claimed?
No reason to have all 3 of them.

IMO, Hendrickson and MJ have played their way on the team. I think MJ brings more to the table than MP.

Posted by: underpants2 | September 30, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

That's incorrect about the impact of the ten games. The ten game rule causes the player's contract to activate and a year to tick off remainder of the contract. The player can still be sent down to the CHL at any time. Even after the player's eleventh game, they can be returned to their juniors squad, it is just a matter of that contract year expiring.

Posted by: AngryNomad | September 30, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

too bad about Salvador. He got into a scrap in preseason to protect Patrik Elias and got pummeled pretty good. I wonder if he got hurt in the head in that fight that led upto the JVR hit (which I haven't seen yet).

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse