Bradley Odd Forward Out

Coach Bruce Boudreau would not divulge the Caps' line combinations for tonight's game against the Devils -- other than to say they will be different than Sunday's. But he did confirm that veteran Matt Bradley will be a healthy scratch, and based on the skate, Jose Theodore will get the start.

"Brads has dressed every game and we ask him to be physical every game," Boudreau said. "So every once in a while, it doesn't hurt to rest a guy."

About shuffling the lines, even after a victory, Boudreau said: "I have to believe, with the kind of team we have, that it keeps other teams on edge because they don't know what the lines are. By this time, we're into the 50th-plus game, so everybody has played with everybody."

I'll have a little more once the players come off the ice.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 3, 2009; 11:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Recall Neuvirth
Next: Boudreau: 'I'm Hoping Eric Seizes the Moment'

Comments

Great to have the option to rest a guy...

First?

Posted by: fredhilljr | February 3, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

First,

Let's go caps...Good luck Clarkie.

Beat them Devs.

Posted by: Iceman27 | February 3, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the awesome coverage Tarik...

Posted by: gocaps71 | February 3, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

This is gonna be interesting...

Posted by: irockthered | February 3, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

8-91-25
28-92-21
14-19-16
87-39-15

He's probably doing it to help out the PK a little bit bc 39 and 15 are probably out best faceoff and PKillas..No big deal.

Posted by: numero94 | February 3, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I actually think we are a better lineup without Bradley and to keep both 39 and 15 on the ice.

Repost from last thread:

Jschon...

I love the breakdown from the last post. I think the forward lines are set now that BB has found the right pairings. I love that we have 3 solid scoring lines. That is extremely difficult to match up with.

I will forgive your man crush on Komo but I agree with you....Send them Nylander and Schultz...Just hoping Nylander doesn't bite us in the ass if we see them in the playoffs...It does however look like Nyls is turning it on a bit.

re: MISTER DAYS.....

I will be there around 6:30. I am calling up there later to get the big screen. I have about 5 people coming with me so I'll see you up there.

Posted by: numero94 | February 3, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Having healthy scratches each night - I never thought any of us would say that the way the team looked a couple months ago.

I'm not opposed to Bradley getting a rest tonight. I'm sure his body could use the rest. I wonder what the line combinations/defensive pairings will look like this evening. Will Semin still on the third line with Nylander and Laich?? That's not a bad third line to have!

Posted by: dcox50 | February 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

this sucks, scratch fehr

Posted by: _stevo | February 3, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I can promise you Bradley isnt happy about sitting vs. the hottest team in the NHL. Just a hunch on my part.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 3, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Roger,

Komo would look good in Caps red.... You going to Thursday's game?

Posted by: Steve_R | February 3, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Previous thread:

The penalty I believe that Semin got called out for was the one at the end of the 2nd period of the Detroit game. If you watch the whole play, Semin tried to skate through 4 Stanley Cup Champions, ineveitably coughed up the puck, and tripped a man when he tried to get it back at the end of the 2nd period. Those are the dumb plays BB is tired of from Semin...trying to do too much by yourself...in or near your own zone...cough it up...stop moving your feet...dumb penalty at end of period.

Calling out Tarik for reporting the facts on the team he is covering is asinine. Obviously, penalties are a major problem therefore a major story. If the Caps average 6-7 penalties a game in the playoffs they will be elimanated in 5 games - first round. I respect your opinions on the Capitals, but there is no need to call out Tarik. Don't shoot the messenger if the message upsets you.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 3, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I too think Brads is not going to enjoy the "rest". He plays the style which benefits from consistent minutes and besides, NJ is a team that we need to fight fire with fire. We need Bradley's toughness and grit of all nights, tonight. I disagree with BB and staff on this one, sorry.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 3, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

There goes Brad's "Iron Man" title.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 3, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Trying to compare Brash's bad penalties to Semin's is like trying to compare Erskine's slap shot's to Ovie's.

Two different styles of play..Barsh is physical, and he is going to get put in the box sometimes. Semin is just using his stick, and pulling people down because he can't accept being beat on a play.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 3, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Stevo...I am gonna need to you zipit about Fehr....Lets do the math...30 GP, 11 Pts +3
.3667 Pt/gm

Compared tooo:

Bradley 51 GP 8 Pts +3 .156 Pt/Gm
Steckel 45 GP 13 Pts +2 .289 Pt/Gm
Gordon 42 GP 12 Pts +1 .286 Pt/Gm
Clark 32 GP 6 Pts -3 .188 Pt/Gm
Brashear46 GP 4 Pts -3 .087 Pt/Gm

In this, his 1st full season, he would be on pace for 30 points. Same as Fleischmann. And look how he turned out....Oh and by the way Fehr is 23 yrs old.... Stevo YOU SUCK, SCRATCH YOURSELF...

And Stevie R...Hell yeah Ill be there..

(Stupid Stevo get me mad on a Tues morning!!!)

Posted by: numero94 | February 3, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I would sit Steckel before Bradley, personally. I like Steckel, but when I compare him to Gordon and Bradley, I feel like I'd probably pick them over him every time.

Not entirely sure why, though.

And Fehr needs the ice time just like Flash did. We can only hope Fehr has Flash's current season next year, or better.

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 3, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

disagree with stevo, Fehr needs the ice time. He played great it both this weekend's games, so I def. want him in the line up. And while I am a huge Bradley fan, the only healthy scratches I would have considered would have been Brash or Bradley. I like to look at the big pictures, at least we finally can have healthy scratches, we weren't having this problem a few months back. If anyone's in the Roanoke area for the game, let me know.

Posted by: abuddy2004 | February 3, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I would prefer to have the physical bradley play against the physical devils and rest bradley against some of the wimpy teams (all the teams in our division)...

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | February 3, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Ummm...why scratch Fehr who's now a hot player? He crashes the net - literally. Who else is going to do that?

Posted by: Greg S. | February 3, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Roger

Won't be at Mr. Days tonight. Have another engagement though it won't be nearly as much fun.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 3, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@numero94

I would like to see the stats on Fehr's points per minutes played, it would be no contest. He gets only a few mins per game compared to the other guys. Thanks for the stats!

Posted by: Freez | February 3, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Two quick things: 1) What is the record for most goalies dressed in a single season? I would guess, post-lockout, the Kings, but we've had, what, six now and none of those were trades? 2) http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999461.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Not sure if I should be excited or cry.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 3, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@numero94

fehr needs his icetime i agree, but to scratch bradley against the devils i dont think is the right thing to do. As for the numbers, if you say fehr is a top six forward then compare him the top 6 forwards not the grinders

as for the "i suck, scratch me", REAL funny try to insert more generic hockey put downs. Next, you say trade me for "a bag of pucks" and then that would be even more funny

Posted by: _stevo | February 3, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Would it be crazy to package Steckel or Gordon with Morrison and a prospect for an impact power fwd?

Just throwing it out there...

Posted by: SA-Town | February 3, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Hooray! Bradley is a great guy, but as with Clark (at least this year's version), I think this team has better options. Gordon/Steckel combo makes us much better defensively and on the penalty kill, and these guys still have some undeveloped upside.

As far as Semin, I think Boudreau has a good handle on it, calling out the player(s) but not overreacting. The Caps are truly blessed to have a coach that seems to understand that young players develop and mature in different ways. Surely, a good 50% of Caps fans had given up on Flash last year, and look where we are now. It might take another year and a few playoff series for Semin to see the light, but its well worth the wait, IMO.

Posted by: VladG | February 3, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I love Bradley, but I wonder if having Steckel and Gordo was done to help on PK faceoffs. Did I mention that I love Brads? Well I do, but every time Stecks or Gordo gets kicked out of the circle Brads takes the draw. Personally like the one-two punch of kick 39 out of the dot and you get 15. Especially since it sure looked like the officials liked kicking 39 out of the dot in the last game.

The whole face off and PK thing is also why I would not be happy with a 15, 39, 26 package deal.

Posted by: Kim-3 | February 3, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl you forgot about Stretch - so 7 goalies (will) have dressed for us this year

Posted by: goskinsgo | February 3, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

With respect to 39 and the faceoff I meant the last game he played. Realize he did not play against Ottawa.

Posted by: Kim-3 | February 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

goskinsgo, I was counting Stretch. Who did I miss? Jose, Johnny, Stretch, Varlamov, Cheez, Neuvirth, ???.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 3, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I have a strange penalty history question that I hope someone can enlighten me on.

Why is it a delay of game penalty to chuck the puck over the glass but when you ice the puck the other team just gets a faceoff in your zone and you can't switch? Since the players have to skate all the way down and touch the puck how does that take any less time or is any less of a delay than having to retrieve a puck from the puck keepers?

Is this another "Avery-rule" type penalty where one team was doing this to reduce scoring threats but to avoid the icing implications? Why don't they just follow the same icing rules vs. penalty? I am sure there is some kind of logical reason, just curious.

Posted by: Kim-3 | February 3, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know what's up with NHL.com?

Posted by: CapsFan21 | February 3, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Kim-3

The delay of game, if my memory serves me right, was more or less for goalies, or even a skater, who would send the puck over the glass to get a line change and get a stoppage in play, especially while killing a penalty if they couldn't clear the zone.

Posted by: dcox50 | February 3, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

The delay of game used to be just if a goalie sent the puck over the glass, but when they put in the big package of rule changes a few years ago, they expanded it to any player in the defensive zone. I suspect it was one of those "make the game faster so more people will watch" bright ideas.

Posted by: Baildog | February 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@ Kim-3
Maybe the league felt that there was a safety issue with pucks going into the stands.

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 3, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

kim,
i think you are taking the term delay of game a bit litterally. the tossing the puck over the glass penalty could have just as well be called unsportsmanlike or simply tosing the puck over the glass (in fact, i think the real name of the penalty is delay of game, shooting the puck over the glass). it doesnt really delay the game any more than the average icing or offside play.

the intent of both rules is to not allow the defense and "easy out" by putting the puck out of play or shooting it all the way down the ice. is one worse than the other? well, i think icing the puck might take a bit more skill than tossing the puck out of the rink. also, many icings are not necessarily intentional. it would really screw up the game if you actually penalized a team for icing.

they are trying to make icing more punative by not allowing a change or allowing for a long tv timeout to occur right after an icing. since tv timeouts occur at known intervals, some teams were willing to ice the puck knowing that they get a two minute break to catch their breath.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 3, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Have the lines been posted???
I can't find them.....and 15 minutes to game time...help!

Posted by: CapsRockTheRed | February 3, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

ok, ok, ok...he posted while I was writing. Got them! Always something new...

Posted by: CapsRockTheRed | February 3, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse