Brashear Back, Erskine Close, A.O. is First Star

Practice just started here at KCI and enforcer Donald Brashear and John Erskine are back on the ice. Both seem to moving fine and I would be surprised if they do not make the trip, which begins tomorrow at Carolina.

Brashear was sidelined for Friday's game in Atlanta with a minor lower body injury, and Erskine has missed five games with an upper body injury.

Chris Clark also skated on his own for 20 minutes, but he said he's not sure if he's going to travel with the team. So a time frame for his return appears as murky as ever.

Alex Ovechkin isn't skating, but that's not a new development. The league's lastest 60-goal scorer is not injured, I'm told, and is in the back working out on his own.

UpdateOkay, here's the latest: Cristobal Huet will start in goal tomorrow (no surprise there considering the Caps lost 6-3 with Olie Kolzig in net last time. A decision for Thursday's game in Tampa hasn't been deterimed yet.

Also, Brashear said he'll be ready to go. Which is good because I thought with him and Erskine out, the Thrashers ran around a little bit last game. Didn't anyone else Ilya Kovalchuk fake like he was going hit Shaone Morrisonn after the whistle? That doesn't happen, I don't think, if Brash and Erskine are in the lineup.

Erskine said he will travel but might not be ready to play until Tampa -- if that soon.

In case you were wondering, he's how the forwards lined up today:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Semin-Fedorov-Fehr
Fleischmann-Laich-Cooke
Brashear-Gordon-Bradley

The Caps' mindset a few weeks ago was to win the division. Now, it's just get in -- a sentiment that was echoed by Coach Boudreau and many of his players.

"We don't really care [how we get in]," Boudreau said. "It doesn't matter. I know [Carolina] is going to want to win because they can pretty much clinch the division if they win tomorrow night. That will be big motivating factor for them, and we want to deny that."

Update A.O. was named first star of the week a few moments ago -- again. From the NHL.

Named the NHL's 'First Star' for the second time in three weeks and for the third time this season, Ovechkin led all scorers with seven points (three goals, four assists) in three games as the Capitals (37-31-8, 82 points) won two of three games to start their six-game road trip. Ovechkin notched one goal and two assists in a 4-2 victory over the Nashville Predators Mar. 18, becoming the first player in franchise history to record multiple 100-point seasons and the fastest NHL player to reach 300 career points since Peter Forsberg in 1997-98. Ovechkin closed the week with two goals and two assists in a 5-3 victory over the Atlanta Thrashers Mar. 21, reaching the 60-goal mark for the first time in the NHL since Pittsburgh's Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr in 1995-96. Ovechkin leads the League in goals (60), points (106), power-play goals (21), game-winning goals (10) and shots (410).

That's it for now.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 24, 2008; 10:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Ovechkin, Overjoyed at 60'
Next: 'Super Tuesday'

Comments

Posted by: first | March 24, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Will Lepisto be sent back to Hershey?

Posted by: hershey | March 24, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Taking one for the team!!
I have ordered my body armour for tomorrow in Raleigh - it should be here today! Hope I live to post on Wednesday!
CAPS have got to show up tomorrow night!

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

not first but best.

Posted by: third | March 24, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Lepisto is still here.

Posted by: Tarik | March 24, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I really hope Brash is back. Last game in ATL they took advantage of his absence, including that "Next time I get Segway to enter zone" (lol Kim) hit on Semin.

Posted by: mauree | March 24, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@Whoever/Tarik

When is the date that Teams can carry more players? I thought there was a day where minor leaguers no longer had to clear waivers/teams could carry a higher number of players... or maybe its just Monday

Anyways am I crazy or right? Both?

Posted by: MetalCap | March 24, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Keep it going Caps..you'll catch up!

Carolina IS beatable!

Posted by: fishman | March 24, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like Clarkie will not be back until the homestand at the earliest.

Aint it great to have something real to play for this late in the season?

Posted by: EricS | March 24, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

We've never thought that we would win the Stanley Cup this year. This year is all about learning how to win. Ideally, that would mean getting actual playoff experience. But games like the one tomorrow are, for all practical purposes, playoff games. They will give the team that experience even if they fall short of the playoffs. Let's hope they start to learn to win tomorrow.

Posted by: Paul | March 24, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I thought that was after the trade deadline, hence why we have three goalies on the roster.

Posted by: @MetalCap | March 24, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Commentator on NHL channel said Saturday that the Caps could win a Cup within four years. Never would I thought I would here commentators ever say that about the Caps. If Green and Backstrom keep developing into NHL All-Star calibur players, the Caps are going to be so talent laden in the next few years. Not to mention that Laich could become a 30 goal scorer if he keeps improving. Plus all the talent in the Juniors and Minors that could become major contributors to the team such as Alzner that could become another solid blue liner and team leader.

Posted by: MadFlava | March 24, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Brash is terrible, there is no reason for him to be out on the ice. Laing who can kill penalties and actually skate should stay in and so should Eminger. Just leave the team alone now. Keep Brashear in the press box.

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@Boo,

I spent the weekend in NC, 15 minutes from RBC, at my in laws. Poor timing, couldn't extend the visit by a couple of days.

Posted by: Steve R | March 24, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@MetalCap, You are correct. The roster limit is lifted after the trade deadline.

Posted by: Gustafsson | March 24, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@11:24

So does that mean we dont have to send Lepesto down?

Just a thought although holding him just hurts Hershey... I dunno

Posted by: MetalCap | March 24, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The Carolina games aren't the real must wins, The Florida games are.

Boston and Buffalo are fighting for one playoff spot (slim chances of both of them making it). TO can catch these teams if they win there remaining games against them.

Capitals and Florida are fighting for a chance at the other one.

Of course if Philly does well in the remaining tough schedule Caps or Florida are out.

Posted by: Omar | March 24, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@Rob

I second that!!

Posted by: CantMissKid | March 24, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Let's face it - the Caps need to take a page from the Joe Gibbs playbook and win the last 6 to ensure they make the post-season.

Posted by: Jill | March 24, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@Tarik,

Liked the Maruk angle on Sunday. Nice little article. I especially liked Ovechkin's response to being asked about the team point record.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 24, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@Steve R - Too bad, you could have borrowed some of my body armour for the game! I know it will be needed - hopefully I won't smell like beer on the ride home this time. I'm bringing the just in case change of clothes! Had to get my OVIE jersey drycleaned compliments of the RBC center!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@Omar,

With the Caps 2 points behind Boston (and Boston has 1 in hand) and 4 points behind Philly, I think every game left is falling in the must win catagory. If 5 of 6 are not won, I doubt p* are in the works this year.

Posted by: Steve R | March 24, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

Do you have a link to that article?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

i would have benched brashear after the boston game and never let him see the ice the rest of the season.

Posted by: fansince74 | March 24, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@Paul

Some people would say that every game after the trade deadline have been play-off games. Once the team knew from management that they were serious about getting into the play-offs, their play has stepped up.

We were 6-14-1 under Hanlon, enter BB. BB's winning % prior to the trade deadline was .523%. Enter Huet, Cooke and Fedorov and the Caps are winning at a .692%.

It looks like we need a serious jolt in the arm to get us playing better, a common trait of a young team.

Whats the next jolt going to be?

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

at fansince74, I wanted him benched in the pre-season, but yes that was a glaring game that should have spelled the end of him. If it was Semin that took 6 minutes and lost the game in the box, everyone would have been yelling for his head. But it's brash and everyone (including gabby) give him a free pass.

Posted by: rob | March 24, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@Greenie,

I'll have to take you up on the body armor next season. We'll be making a trip down for sure for a game.

Posted by: Steve R | March 24, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,
How come no mention of the crowd at today's practice?? There had to be about 300-400 fans watching. It's got to be one of the biggest weekday crowds of the year.If the Caps make the playoffs, it'll be standing room only at workouts.

Posted by: b.orr4 | March 24, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@Jill

The Caps also need to fight their guts out and play "super-smart"

Posted by: dave | March 24, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@SteveR
It's like going to Philly or Pittsburgh, the Hurricane fans come in droves - they love there team and they are relentless at throwing every play, every call, every goal in your face(including and oops I spilled my adult beverage for the second time on you)!
P.S. don't ever take your parents there, my mother refuses to go back!

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie,
You're too hard on Canes fans. At Nascar races, that's considered polite behavior.

Posted by: b.orr4 | March 24, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
Oh bummer!! You should have stayed behind and taken the train home ... our boys need ya down there!! :-)

fricnkoutstandin:
From the previous post - they better NOT flip the ice!!! If they do, my seats go from fricknoutstandin to fricknok!! Nope, I would prefer 3-2-1-0 over that ...

Omar:
I would have to disagree - ALL the games are must wins at this point, unless someone ahead of us starts to stumble. In other words, we may not catch the Canes, but we probably still need to beat them to even get to 8.

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon,

By my math the Caps winning % from seasons start to the deadline was .523, from Thanksgiving to deadline .667

The .523 includes the 6-14-1 start. How did you come up with your numbers?

Posted by: Steve R | March 24, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Between missing the game Friday night due to stupid Comcast, and the now 3 day break between games, its been too long of a wait for more Caps hockey! I also missed the B'Hawks game. From what I've been told I didn't really miss it. Bottom line, it will have been a week tomorrow between me seeing games. Thats too long!

The playoff chase resumes tomorrow. I can't wait!

LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: Pulgar de Pothier | March 24, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Key factor--going after #8 means we don't HAVE to win in regulation against Carolina--just WIN! Also, how 'bout playing Eminger again? He did fine against ATL, and even showed some offensive energy when it was badly needed.

Posted by: Jim H | March 24, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Polite yes, at Nascar, but unless your in Philly or Pittstown that is just down right not Southern hospitality.

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Man i can't believe people are calling for Brash to be benched. He is a solid forchecker and is a physical presence that is absolutely needed this time of the year. Sure the extra penalty against Boston was dumb, but Hnidy should have gotten 2 minutes as well for the punch he threw at Brashear that led to the retaliation. The inadvertant high stick just happens.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 24, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Can you explain why Flash is still in the line-up? Total mystery to me.

Posted by: Hew | March 24, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

1) Excelant point Hew! It seeems whatever line 'Flash' is assigned stops producing. Its stil a mystery why he is still in the lineup, BUT given a 2 year extension??
2) BTW has there ever been a worse nick-name than Fleischmann's. Have seen very little 'Flash" when he plays. He's probably a great AHL-er, but doens't seem able to keep up (especially physicaly) with the NHL game.

Posted by: Fauxrumors | March 24, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hanlon 10.5.07 to 11.21.07 - 6-14-1
BB 11.23.07 to 02.24.08 - 28-27-8 (pre trade deadline)
BB 02.26.08 to present - 37-31-8

I'm pretty sure I'm counting overtime losses as losses since we didnt get the 2 points. IMO, OTL are losses. Since you can have to have 1 winner and 1 loser per game.

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually I just reviewed the clip and i can't tell if Hnidy hit Brash after the whistle or not because there is no sounds. Still, I say we need Brash.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 24, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Brash should rightfully receive a lot of criticism for the Bruins debacle, but for God's sake, Erskine and Poti REALLY didnt need to take those penalties to get them down 5 on 3. I was thinking - okay, we'll be down for 4 minutes, maybe they tie it but we have a damn good chance to kill it. Well, when it went to 5 on 3 I knew we were done.

Posted by: Shaggy | March 24, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@Rob

I don't second that. Brash is not there for his scoring..where he is good is when he has to go in the corners and dig the puck out. Every teams needs someone who can win the battle along boards...we sorely missed that in Atlanta and it almost cost us the game.

I do agree with you though, he MUST be a smart player and not do what he did in Boston.

Posted by: Fishman | March 24, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Erskine's penalty was a phantom call...

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you someone who should be out...FLASH! He has been playing terrible lately.

Posted by: fishman | March 24, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy - I agree we need Brash right now! It's time to go toe to toe and I find he mixes it up, plus he can score - The Flash's light has burned out, he is incognito too much for me! We need something else and he is not the answer, would love to see Chris Borque again especially now - guys like him are chomping at the bit to get a chance and they bring fire, excitement etc...

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, very big crowd today at KCI, mostly kids who are playing in a hockey tourney.

Posted by: Tarik | March 24, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero Guy

You are RIGHT ON on your take on
Brash. My thought exactly.

Posted by: fishman | March 24, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

About Brash digging pucks out....he doesn't do that. Laich, Bradley, Laing, Cooke, Gordon...don't we have enough grinders that can actually skate/block shots/kill penalties/put some points up?

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, you mentioned in friday's chat that Huet might be too expensive(dollars, but yrs more of a concern) for the caps. It would be a shame to again miss the playoffs just because we don't have a #1 goalie. The last thing ted needs is another nonplayoff year with the fans slowly starting to come back to VC

Posted by: O-V-P | March 24, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy

I agree. Toughness is very important this time of year. You need that physical presence. Otherwise you will get run over. Brash is a great physical presence. His forchecking creates a lot of turnovers. He doesn't drop the gloves as much as he used to, but when he does, he's still one of the toughest SOBs in the NHL. He's not the fastest skater, but when compared the other enforcers in the league, he has pretty good hands. He will never win the Art Ross, or Rocket Richard torphies and certainly not the Lady Bing, but I still love to watch him latch on to a guy's shoulder pads/jersey with both hands and shake him into submission!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | March 24, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Sami is done. To many breakdowns on D. Can't happen in Bruce high reward high risk system. The season is on the line in Carolina. The Division is still the best way to get in. 5 points behind with 2 games with carolina. If they win both and carolina looses one game thats it. The 7th & 8th seed are 2-4 points ahead with a game in hand, plus we don't play them. We have more control catching Carolina.

HIP HIP HUET

Posted by: smartfan | March 24, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Brahear is not there to go dig the puck out. He's there for forechecking and protecting ovie and semin. When he was out people were going out of there way to hit ovie and semin. That doesn't happen when brash is there.

Bringing young guys is not the answer for the stretch run. Sami took to many penalties and he looks like he's still learning and Boroque will make tons of mistake. Now is not the time to be teaching young players how to play in the NHL. Have to go with your most veteran team.

Posted by: smartfan | March 24, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

If we miss the playoffs it will be because of the late loss in boston. That was huge. Boston is up 2 points with a game in hand. Brashear does take a lot of penalties.

Posted by: smartfan | March 24, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Until we have another Cap who can actually win a couple bouts, Brashear needs to stay on the ice.

Posted by: AP | March 24, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan

Are you serious? We are going to blame DB for not making the playoffs?

Thats rich and compelling.

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

And if you want to talk about Brash, don't go on your feelings. Look at the tape/scores. He has been a + player once this month, when the caps won 10-2 versus boston (he managed a +1). Including that game, he has one goal in March and 0 assists. If he's so good on the forecheck, then why doesn't anything get produced when he is out there? OV, Backstrom and Semin can stand up for themselves, and it's not like Brash can do anything for them anyway because he's never able to catch anyone worth hitting.

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Brash lost his mind a little in Boston, but I expect he knows that. Something tells me that we will not see behavior like that again this season.

What we will see with him on the ice are opposing teams that know if they take or try to take a cheap shot (or knock Semin off his Segway too hard) that there will be consequences. Watching the Atlanta game, I commented several times that I did not think the Thrasher would have done that if he knew Brash was on the bench.

I am so excited for tomorrow's game and have not stopped believing yet!

Posted by: Kim | March 24, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

smartfan:
We simply cannot blame one game or one player if we do not make it ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

We can blame whoever we want. We're fans. It's what we do. We are not required to be rational. A fan is short for fanatic afterall.

No need to blame anyone if the Caps make it though.

Posted by: Caps 423 | March 24, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

If you want to blame someone, blame Hanlon for the 6 and 14 start! If we would have won those 3 of those 14 losses we would be at 90 points now..ahead of Philly, Boston and Carolina!

Posted by: fishman | March 24, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Not trying to call anyone out with my amazing stat knowledge (that's some sarcasm for you all) but if you want to say anything about anyone's plus/minus in the Boston game, why not point out that Green (and I think whoever he was paired with that night) were -1, MINUS one in a game we scored 10 points....

Posted by: AP | March 24, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to the beating I will take(not truly)!! I will def. have to call in late on Wednesday morning, I can see that already!!! If they play well, I am taking my fire engine hat just in case I need to use the siren on the way out - The only item I'm missing is the sombrero!! O'lay!
Hope I can find my Segway at the end of the night for my escape!! Wish everyone was going to be there!!! I think the "CAPS" flu is going around, maybe some of you need to take 2 days off and make a road trip!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If the caps want to make the playoffs. they can if they win 5 of the remaining games and that will guarantee a spot. If they loose anymore than 1 game it's a wait and see what others do. If we win 5 were for sure in.

Posted by: smartfan | March 24, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@Rob

I am of the opinion that any goals out of your 4th line is icing on the cake, but they are out there more to mix it up, wear down and hit the D and create momentum by forechecking, winning battles along the boards and wreaking Havoc. Once that momentum is established, your come back with your first or second scoring line to take advantage. Sure it would be great if they could score a little more often but you generally don't get that out of a 4th line.

Posted by: Sombrero guy | March 24, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@Caps 423

You're right. Blame whoever you want for whatever you want. By the same token, as a fan(atic), I'm calling out another fan(atic) for blaming Brashear for not making the play-offs.

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed that Flash keeps getting bummed from lines during the games, because he sucks so bad - why keep him in the starting line-up? What's going on?

Posted by: Hew | March 24, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

huet has to play
brash is not what we need
pk is huge against carolina so dress laing
at least he can skate and pk
when we make the playoffs will we waste a spot dressing brash?

Posted by: wendel | March 24, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Green was EVEN that game.

You don't get credit for PP goals scored, and he was actually out there for 4 of those as well that game.

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

just saw this on NHL.com

FIRST STAR -- ALEX OVECHKIN, LW, WASHINGTON CAPITALS Ovechkin

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 24, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

now THAT is a lineup, but im ready for bourque or a. gordon instead of flash

Posted by: sheesh | March 24, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Why not blame Semin for the dumba@@ penalties he took to kill Caps power plays late in losing games? I can think of at least 3 games that he ate a stick penalty 10-15 seconds into a power play in the waning moments of third periods.

Or blame Schultz for his high stick on Green.

Blame Green for not getting up.

Nicky for his one timer past Huet.

Any number of players for turn overs in the Caps zone.

Olie for the 3-2 loss to Tornoto with the third goal scored 26 seconds left

But........ Boo is right, can't blame any one player. Every player on the roster probably has done something that could be pin pointed to be the root "casue" of a loss.

Posted by: Steve R | March 24, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@ rob

semin can stand up for himself??? he can barely stand up...period! Brash is an important part of the lineup, every team needs a "thumper"

Posted by: no brain no pain | March 24, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm not looking that far back. Just ever since we were in the playoffs hunt. We had that game wrapped up. Brashears penalty led to the others. Not saying we would made it but that was a game we had to have.

I think in the playoffs everyone good team needs an enforcer. Playoff hockey is very physical. It lets Ovie & semin have more freedom without getting cheep shotted. Some accountability with him and brads. Can't tea of on our skill players. Look at the pens with Laraque.

Posted by: smartfan | March 24, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are all about speed, and he can barely skate, he is always the last one up the ice on the forecheck and last guy back on the backcheck. In short, he is awful.

Posted by: rob | March 24, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread (missed the change over):

As for switching sides.. it's really not a fundamentally divergent change. Teams play on both sides already. it's just slipping 1 period to the other side. If you look at the stats, statistically, more goals are scored as the game time increase, when teams are tired.
1779 G/1st
2158 G/2nd
2162 G/3rd

The interesting point to note is that the 2nd and 3rd are almost identical, arguably because of the bench positioning.

If you inverse the ice, you would most likely see the trend change to align the 1st and 2nd for goal production to be similar, with far more goals in the 3rd. This could make for more games with exciting finishes (like the one Saturday).

More importantly, as an enthusiast, it provides us the opportunity to watch exciting play where the grinders and 3rd line physical players become that much more important with cycles and board work to keep the other teams defense pinned. That's the hockey I love to watch.

Besides, i'm sure they would let the STH swap seats... or so i'd hope.

Posted by: fricnkoutstandin | March 24, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

didn't realize people are still mad at Brash for the Boston game. I'm not the coach so I'm not going to comment whether he should play against the Canes or not. But I will say the NHL still needs enforcers to deter anyone from taking a run at Ovie, Backstrom, Semin, or Green. Brash still has an important role to play on the Capitals whether you are still angry at him for the Boston game or not.

Posted by: madflava | March 24, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

We need to get everyone to show up at Front Page grill in Arlington to root on the Caps. Front Page isn't exactly the biggest place, but the drink specials will be going on and so will a must win Caps game. SHOW UP! THE MORE THE MERRIER! I'm recruiting all my friends so you guys do the same. See you all there!

Posted by: CAPS ON TAP! | March 24, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Yea, I'm sure Laraque is the reason the Pens are number 1 in the east.

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Enforcers in hockey" are like Car Insurance - something we all overpay for, but need(should have)to survive!!! I agree we need someone to deter cheap shots, but honestly I think OVIE & Green can take care of themselves as for Backie and Semin, don't think Ovie would stand around and watch either of his friends/teammates take a beating - plus we all know what happens when you awaken the sleeping OVIE - and angry OVIE is an awesome OVIE to watch!

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

rob

"at no brain...it's that kind of thinking that'll cost the caps. he got in all of 12 fights this year, how can anyone argue that he is worth the money, and a raise next year.

Clearly you don't watch very many games, let alone go to any. I would argue quite the opposite. The Donald is an excellent forechecker. Yes one of his responsibilities is that of the goon, but his line's primary responsibility is to tire the defense...not to score goals. And the line with him and Bradley has been so good at that that I've noticed times where the Caps actually change parts of the line WHILE they are cycling.

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes!!! Flush is off the second line!!!!!

Posted by: Brad | March 24, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Greenie

"but honestly I think OVIE & Green can take care of themselves"

I agree 100% that they both will stick up for themselves. Unfortunately because they both wear the protective shield, neither are allowed to fight without taking the additional 2 minute misconduct penalty. The Donald is a necessary evil who plays his heart out on every shift.

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Well put Yosh.

Will the volume be on @Front Page. I hate not having volume.

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Greenie

How long of a drive do you think it is to get down there from DC?

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

JSchon

"Will the volume be on @Front Page.

It wasn't the one time I was there...granted it has been awhile.

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

yea...all we need is OV or Green to break a hand (or face) while sticking up for themselves!

Posted by: no brain no pain | March 24, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Just because you don't expect the donald to do anything doesn't mean he shouldn't be doing something. Getting in on one forecheck a game doesn't mean he's anything special. There are dozens of players the caps could be using that'd be doing a lot more for them. Fighting is a waste of time. Watching the caps on Friday was like watching a completely different team, that was great, i hope he never plays again.

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited to see if Fehr can show us anything on the 2nd line now that he's more accustomed to the NHL game again.

Posted by: AP | March 24, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@Rob and Can'tMissKid

The line with Brashear on it is effective. The line without him is not. Since Brash sat, there's been no scoring from that line. When he's on, they score.

I'll take Brashear back.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 24, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
I love it when you say I'm right ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Tarik...any word on when Steckel may be back?

Posted by: Bob K | March 24, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh - my experience with RBC center in Raleigh - it takes about 5 hours from DC depending on traffic. My trip is a little easier - 2.5 hours from Myrtle Beach. I actually think that I heard the game was sold-out, if so, it should be lots of fun! I'll cheer for everyone.

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Brashear's penalty was justified because Hnidy was going after Ovechkin. Did you see him around Ovechkin in the next game after Brash punched him? The guy was nowhere in close vicinity of Ovechkin. For just that Brash deserves the bonus. And it's not just Hnidy, other players around the league are watching and taking notes on what would happen to them if they do the same.

Did the team lose the game because of Brash penalty? No. Bad officiating that led to subsequent penalties did.

One thing nobody mentioned is how hard Brash hits people. That is really important, esp. now, when a lot of teams are playing hurt. One hit by Brash, and the guy is no show or would go to the locker room.

In all, Brash very effective player for Caps. I also believe he logs more minutes than any other enforcer in NHL of his caliber.

Viva Brashear!

Posted by: Yo | March 24, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Rob

"Just because you don't expect the donald to do anything doesn't mean he shouldn't be doing something. Getting in on one forecheck a game doesn't mean he's anything special."

Players such as The Donald don't get much ice time. I won't use stats again because I know how much they're hated on this site. But compare his ice time to other enforcers/agitators throughout the league. And compare his production goals, assists and +/-.

I'd also argue, that if you actually watched an entire game, you'd see that The Donald has numerous opportunities in the offensive zone. Does he finish them all? Absolutely not. Does he finish most of them? Absolutely not. But every time his line is creating opportunities is time that isn't spent in the defensive zone. Players don't need to be OVs, Greens or Backstroms to make contributions.

And as for his 12 fights, how does that compare to other heavy weights? i.e. Larouque (sp?)

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ok, let me just post an open question....

Steckle and Clarkie get healthy, who do you sit. I'd vote Brashear off first, and I really want Flash to do well, but it might be hard for him to stay up with the squad.

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie- good luck in Carolina dealing with their 'fans'; sorry, their fans are just ugly. Having seen them in 2002 (and not since), their fans are, in the main, just plain rude (and vile). I don't mind a bit of banter, but leave the f-bombs out of it, and try not to shove 80-year olds down escalators. I guess when your beer is that weak throwing it may seem a natural reaction. Do they still have the cheerleaders and the neon-suited Ambiguously Gay Duo?

Posted by: Patrick | March 24, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Rob

"Anyone going to say they want Brash to stay up in the bigs over Steckle or Clark?"

When...and if...Clark returns I'd probably sit Flash or Fehr...depending on who is producing more/less. I suppose I'm old school, but I believe every lineup needs an enforcer to protect the stars of the team.

I don't believe there is any argument that opposing teams feel more comfortable going after the Caps stars when The Donald isn't in the lineup. Did anyone happen to see the OV's run in with Holik during the last game? You notice the extra little face push into the ice? That doesn't happen with The Donald in the lineup.

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Yo:
I don't think he was going after Ovie - I thought he got right in Brash's face. Regardless, he has to THINK before he acts - there was a better way to handle that.

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@Rob
Did you even watch the ATL game? They were hitting us over and over again - at one point our guys were afraid to enter the zone in the first two periods. Semin could have had a serious concussion - and nobody stepped up to stop the hitting.

For some reason you're biased against Brash.

Posted by: mauree | March 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Greenie

Thanks. Even it isn't sold out, me thinks that might be too far to drive, watch the game and drive home. I did it years ago before the current stadium was built. It was a fun mini road trip...and believe it or not my friends and I had such a good time with the Canes fans that were sitting in front of us that we went out for a drink after. Granted the team was still new then.

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Why does a big game/win bring out the idiots?

Move past the Brash questioning. He's needed and does a damn fine job of keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Are you telling me that Flash is a better player to have in the lineup?

Posted by: keef | March 24, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Rob

Alright, it's official I have no self control...according to hockeyfights.com Brashear is 16th in the league in terms of fighting. Here come the stats..:) (GP/G/A/P/+-/PIM)

1) Jared Boll 70 5 5 10 -2 209
2) Riley Cote 64 1 3 4 1 197
3) George Parros 64 1 4 5 6 181
4) David Clarkson 74 8 13 21 1 179
5) Zack Stortini 60 3 8 11 2 189
6) Colton Orr 72 1 1 2 -12 157
7) Daniel Carcillo 51 8 9 17 -1
8) Eric Godard 67 1 1 2 -6 169
9) Ian Laperriere 64 4 15 19 -3 121
10) Krys Barch 46 1 2 3 -3 95
16) The Donald 74 5 3 8 -8 119

Sorry about the lack of table...but there aren't too many above him that I'd take in lieu of him.

/just my two cents.

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

I think Rob has already admitted he doesn't watch the games through his criticisms. Sounds like he only reads the score sheets honestly.

Posted by: keef | March 24, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@Patrick
Yes, they still have the cheerleaders and neon-suited Ambiguously Gay Duo! Nasty to people in CAPS jerseys!!!!!
@Yosh if it was a weekend, def. good road trip, not a one night-er! 2.5 hours is even rough on a weeknight! And yes, my experience with most fans are usually good on nights they don't play the CAPS, but on the nights I sport any CAPS jersey -forget it, they are just too nasty to put words to!

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Yosh

post your stats if you wanna...they're an excellent reference...just nothing to solely base an argument on.

Posted by: 50% of stats are made up | March 24, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@Boo
I don't think he was going after Ovie

It was in the first period. Hnidy hit Ovie hard because Ovie just had a collision with other Boston player and was off the balance. It was clear he was hunting Ovechkin and tried to do some damage to him. You don't see Ovie going down often, but Hnidy did it to him because Ovie didn't even see him coming. So, again, I am all for Brash punching Hnidy, the scumbag deserved it.

Posted by: Yo | March 24, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@All

I put the Ovechkin 60 goal collage on X Drive.
here is the link...

username: Ovechkin60
password: toedrag
filename: OV60large.jpg

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon
I tried once to look at that, but I'm new to X Drive... where do I go once I log in? I tried to find AO and found some semi-naked hot chick instead.
(sorry... now everybody will log in to find lol)

Posted by: mauree | March 24, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

mauree

"where do I go once I log in?

Just paste the file name into the search bar up top. When I did it, the only file that came up was the collage.

/nice job btw
//forwarded it on to other friends...I hope that's cool

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

that link should take you there... and logging should be pretty easy. I'll take a look...

Naked girls? Me? No...

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Right now we have just as much of a chance to win the division as the 8 spot. The difference is we control 4 pts vs. CAR.

I think the division will be the way we get in, if we get in.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 24, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

thanks Yosh

Posted by: mauree | March 24, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

try http://www.xdrive.com/
then at the top it will ask are you already a member?

click there and follow the log-in directions...

Its fine to share... its not my bandwidth and I willont keep anything of value in there.

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

JSchon

I just downloaded and attached it to an email, but I'll give you credit if I'm asked about it

Posted by: Yosh | March 24, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Yo:
There is a time and a place for everything ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

there is larger file in there... 300x300pix instead of 150x150pix...

no problem Yosh...

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The larger file uses 300x300 pix pictures instead of 150x150...

Once the season is over, I will add the rest of his goals... so its not complete.

Yosh... share away, no problem.

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice Schedule down the stretch:

We have ZERO back to back games down the stretch

The rest of them..not so lucky

Bruins 2
Hurricanes 2
Sabres - 3 games in 4 days
Flyers - 1
Sabres - 1

Posted by: SA_Town | March 24, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@Rob

You'd leave me out there over Brash. What kind of argument is this?

Posted by: Greg S. | March 24, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon - Very nice - well done I must say!

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Greenie...

I think I might make it some kind of poster when it all done. Frame it.

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Is there any place in MD or DC that is planning a viewing event of tomorrow night's game??

Posted by: MD | March 24, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon - that would be nice - let me know if you do make a poster, I would be interested in purchasing one myself! I would love to give you some business for your hard work!!!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 24, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

geez - imagine where we would be in the standings had we won a game or two in OCT-NOV!

Posted by: Hew | March 24, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@MD

JSchon is having the whole blog over to his house tomorrow for the game.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought for the first two periods against Atlanta, when the Caps sucked wind, Fehr was the best player on the ice. I like that second line.

Posted by: jammand | March 24, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Everybody is welcome to go to Bugsy's. The will have volume and about 10 TV's on with the Caps on it.

Old Town. I was there for the ATL game.

Posted by: JSchon | March 24, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I can't make it but there are a bunch of Caps fans in baltimore getting together at Max's in fells point, per the Caps Message Board.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 24, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

@ Wendel;
OK, if we don't dress Brash IF we get in to the playoffs...Who do you suggest we dress? Laing? Please. Laing is a gritty player, but his main way to contribute is by blocking shots (which, BTW,there was one game where one of the shots he blocked still went in) I would rather have Brash out there any day of the week. Don't get all down on Brash because he took a dumb penalty at BOS...life moves on, you should too. He's more valuble to this team than a lot of you people think...if Clark isn't back by then, we'll need all the veteran presence on the ice/in the locker room we can get.

Posted by: #87 | March 24, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Finally Fehr not Flash on that second line. I hope he can find some chemistry with Semin. Flash was redundant on that line, and Semin's looked good with nobody besides Kozlov at even strength.

Posted by: bill | March 24, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

On the NHL website, 2 of the 10 goals of the week were the caps from the Atlanta win. Woo Hoo!

Posted by: leeguru | March 24, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Hello, Leeguru!
Did you hear that Steve said I was "right"?!? Just wanted to note that - for the record ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!! Just turned on the Pens/Islanders game ... what's goin' on?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the Islanders are about the beat the Pens! As Joe B. said, the Pens have delivered a "klunker" tonight!! Let the slide begin!! ;-)

BTW, great article on NHL.com RE: Ovie and the Caps. It quoted Gabby as saying,

"Even though people outside our dressing room firmly believe if we made the playoffs it would be a great accomplishment, our goal is to win the Stanley Cup like anybody else," added Boudreau. "We look at Edmonton a couple of years ago just squeaking in as the eighth team as going to the final and going seven games. I don't think it's that far-fetched a goal."

Good stuff. To read the entire article, go to:

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

You can look at stats all you want - but look at the tape. The last few games, when that line of Brashear, Gordon, and whoever they throw on it has been a forechecking, cycling machine the likes of which that makes Ulf Dahlen and Esa Tikanen blush.

I'd take him before Laing, because what Laing does in the defensive zone, Brash does in the offseason. And while I wouldn't want to fight Laing, I'd fight him before I fought Brashear. (It's not like either one of them is a prominent goal scorer)

Posted by: Whiter Mage | March 24, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

How bout the Habs pasting the Sens? The Habs look like the team to beat in the east. I keep hoping the Caps play the Sens, if . . . well, you know.

Posted by: JIM | March 24, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

JIM:
Oh yeah, how awesome would it be if we played the Sens?!? And how fun would it be if we did so with all of our injured guys back?!? Man, I get giddy just thinking about it ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anybody's said this yet, as I haven't had the time to read all the posts, but I really hope we give Eminger a sweater again tomorrow. He played really great against the Thrashers, both defensivly and jumping into the play.

Posted by: Stephen | March 24, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

O.K.,I know it's been too long since the last game when I start commenting on Boudreau's wardrobe;but can someone buy him some more polos.I'm tired of the purple one in his talks with the media.

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 24, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

markfromparkville:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how many times I have thought that about that polo. I have always assumed that it was the shirt he wore to DC when he was called up ... and he forgot to pack any others!! ;-) If that's the case, then I'd say it is just about time for his wife to pack some of his other golf shirts and shlep them down to DC for him!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

@ markfromparkville

lol, I know, that polo seems to be his favorite to wear to the rink for practices for some reason or another.

Posted by: Super | March 24, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Lisa Hillary scare the hell out of you sometimes when you log on to the CAPS main page. She just jumps at you all of a sudden. Bless her heart.

Posted by: Super | March 24, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Whiter Mage-"And while I wouldn't want to fight Laing, I'd fight him before I fought Brashear." LMAO...absolutley hilarious!

Posted by: no brain no pain | March 24, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Uh ... I wouldn't fight any of them - they are all big dudes! Cooke is the only one who measures in under 6' ... but he sure plays bigger than that!

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I wouldn't want to fight either of them. My thinking is that Laing doesn't feel pain, and Brash just dishes it out. I figure I'd lose both of those battles, though one I might win is in the beauty contest. All that rearranging of my face might just help me out there.

HUGELY happy to see the Pens go down! Way to go Isles!!!

On Mon. They've really picked up the pace since the trade deadline, haven't they? WOW! They are a real force now! Tonight certainly wasn't a goaltender's game though. 7-5!

Posted by: Greg S. | March 24, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Just to be clear, I wouldn't fight anyone ... period! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I might fight Sindey Crosby...even without the gimp ankle... just for kicks, ya know??? joking of course, but I can dream

Posted by: nat | March 24, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

A very good policy, Boo!

Posted by: Greg S. | March 24, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

#87
u say brash plays a role but u dont say what it is... killing penalties especially with steckel and clark out is key...
brash doesnt help there laing does...
if it gets down to a goon or a pk killer winning games well u pick
guess the other 30 plus shots laing blocked didnt go in...plus being able to check other teams top lines is something laing gives that brash doesnt..flash is no help either and could use time on the pine or in hershey.this time of year defense wins

Posted by: wendel | March 24, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Greg! ;-) I'm a lover not a fighter (sorry - had to say it). In all seriousness, I've never understood fighting - in hockey or elsewhere (I am guessing that that is not a popular opinion here ... and that it makes people wonder why I am a hockey fan). I feel like I am the only person who does not stand and cheer for fights. And boxing?!? Forget about it - can't stand it. Don't get me wrong - I am all for a healthy check (followed by another ... and another ...), but pummeling someone bloody just does not do it for me. I'd rather see someone finesse the puck up the ice past the D or make an amazing spin o'rama pass than beat the tar out of the other team's enforcer. But that's just me - what do I know. (Hmm ... now who is going to "beat me up" for saying that?!? ;-))

Posted by: Boo! | March 24, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Departure to Raleigh in 6 hours! My Armour came yesterday, just in time for the road trip. I'm gonna miss that Sombrero - GO CAPS, GO CAPS, GO CAPS.................................................................................!
Is there anything else to say - Tonight "IS" the biggest game of the Year!
We need some help from the hockey GODS - A prayer is necessary today JSchon! If not form the CAPS for me!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 25, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

@ Greenie

Don't forget the clear plastic poncho over top all that armor and your Caps jersey. you know some beers will be coming your way when ovie lights'em up for #61~

Posted by: Scofield | March 25, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

@Scofield
Change of clothes in car already - check! No poncho (this time sorry), I have to appear "Tough" on the outside (armour underneath - sneaky like Ovie, Backie, Kozie, Semin & Feds) - Wearing my Black OVIE Jersey tonight! I'm sure I will get booed, and I'm sure to displease everyone around me because I will be cheering my heart out, prob. no voice tomorrow, but I don't need that to post - good thing!

Ovie will get # 61 tonight, I can feel it and I will be celebrating in my seat for sure!

Posted by: Greenie | March 25, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Greenie:
You are my hero! :-) LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 25, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Greenie:
P.S. Will you be posting about your (mis)adventures tonight, or will it have to wait for your return? Regardless, can't wait to hear the details!! Have a safe trip and, if need be, take a detour to South of the Border to pick up a sombrero before the game!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 25, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

excellent! good work greenie. hopefully you'll be getting booed plenty tonight.

Posted by: Scofield | March 25, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey for anyone who's watch a game at the Front Page, do they show the Caps game in HD if its on CSN HD? I'm would show up if I could watch the game in HD.

Posted by: Lowell | March 25, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@Boo - no detour time! I will be taking the short-cut to Raleigh through N.Myrtle! As for the posting tonight, depends on how much energy I have when I get home, prob. won't be until 2am or so! WHEN we win, I may have to call in sick with the CAPS flu tomorrow via still in Raleigh so I promise to post sometime!
@ Scofield
I'm anticipating the boo-birds will be out in numerous amounts tonight - hopefully JSchon has a good prayer worked up for me!
Last game in Raleigh the booed me on the way in and all the way to my seat, the usher even gave me a hard time!

Posted by: Greenie | March 25, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

On this day we pray to the almighty mullet as we embark on the treacherous road of interdivisional hockey. Arise young Capitals and taketh what is yours, the Southeast Division. Set forth and conquer the unholy Hurricanes from their perch. And I say to you, Greenie, who sets out the righteous path, have strength against thy enemy that will outnumber you. Take these brass knuckles along with you and seek retribution in the name of all Capitals fans stuck here in the DC Area watching on Comcast. And one more thing oh' Shaman of the Slapsoht, our friends need victory as well, Ottawa, the capital to our friends to the north who have produced the likes of Bryan Adams, Celine Dion and Keanu Reeves, we thank you. Also, the Rangers of New Amsterdam, where Jagr's salary will finally come off of our books at years end. Let us not forget Tampa Bay, the insignificant city on Florida's west coast. And finally, Toronto, home of something famous I'm sure.

Amen.

Posted by: JSchon | March 25, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@ Greenie

How about this prayer:

Our Ovie
Who 'art with Semin
Huet be thy name
Thy Kozlov come
Thy Green be done
On Feds as it is in Backstrom

Ok so needs some work......

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 25, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Greenie

"Tonight "IS" the biggest game of the Year!"

Ummmm, I'd disagree. Tonight is the biggest game since 20 April 2003.

Posted by: Yosh | March 25, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - well done - love the ending about Toronto - too funny, I feel blessed and safe for the evening with all things said - I can now make the trek!
@Dave UK Caps Fan - nice work as well, would love to see the rest of it!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 25, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@Yosh
"Okay, you might be right about that!" I give!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 25, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@Greenie,

How about, on a less religious theme, a little song for our favourite number 8.

To the tune of "You are my sunshine":

You are my Ovie
My only Ovie
You make me happy
When skies are grey
No way I'd rather see
That girl called Crosby
So please don't take my Ovie away

When I watch the highlights on NHL.com tomorrow I expect to hear you singing that whilst the rest of the arena is in silence!!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 25, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Although blasphemous, the prayers are starting to grow on me

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@ Greenie

Have a watered down Raleigh beer for me tonight. I will be rooting hard from my home way away in Connecticut. I will be watching the Comcast feed on Center Ice as well so do something crazy to get Locker to point you out. Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 25, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Very good read, Tarik...

"Fleischmann has not recorded a point since Feb. 26."

Where is Clark when you need him? :-)

Posted by: Yo | March 25, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I'd like ot see the team do more with the mullet theme, like have they guys grow out mullets and switch up "Unleash the Fury" with "Unleash the Mullet" or something to that extent

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I see that people in MD and Alexandria have places to go and Caps fans will be around but what about in the Arlington/Seven Corners area? Any good Caps places to go to cheer on the beloved Capitals?

Posted by: Roger | March 25, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Roger - Front Page, its across the street from the Balston Commons Mall

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I may just have to go visit Locker and Joe B. during the 1st intermission! Maybe I can get on T.V. - Thought about dressing up as a Capitals Cheerleader just to mess with Canes girls (maybe next time - just a thought)!!! Wouldn't that be funny!
@CT Caps Fan - the beer I can do - they sell local brews there, no watered down for me!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@AP

I use to hang out at FP in Arlington on Wednesday night, $1 High Lifes... Did they put up new TV's? from what I can remember, it wasnt much of a sports bar.

Posted by: JSchon | March 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

AHHHH FIRE ALARM EVERYONE RUN IN A CHAOTIC UNORGANIZED MANNER

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

So far this season Caps played well with anybody up in the top: Red Wings, Sens, Pens, Habs, etc.

The only team that I felt Caps were helpless against were Canes. In the last two meetings it was Canes domination. If Caps'll beat Canes tonight, that would be so awesome... it would be worth it without even thinking of points, standings, playoffs...

Posted by: Yo | March 25, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Thanks AP...I might have to make my way down there..

And is there a blocking machinism on this thing...

Greenie

"Tonight "IS" the biggest game of the Year!"

Ummmm, I'd disagree. Tonight is the biggest game since 20 April 2003.
By Yosh....

Ummmm my calendar says 2008 so ummm i guess nevermind...

No Negativity....Go Caps

Posted by: Roger | March 25, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@Roger - Funny my calender does also, but since I've been a fan since my existence I believe Yosh got it right this time!

Posted by: Greenie | March 25, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Yea it's not too big of a sports joint but it has some TVs, but I forgot to mention Bailey's in the mall, they have a tv for just about anything.

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@AP

Baileys is great for sports, service blows, but for pure sports, its hard to beat.

They wont have sound however.

Posted by: JSchon | March 25, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Since it's home, I should note Toronto is famous for being a world class city, having god-awful traffic, and one mediocre hockey team that is possibly the most socially divisive entity in the entire GTA (seriously- you either bleed blue/white, or think TML is the sign of the devil; there's no middle ground).

Just to clarify and assign blame appropriately- Bryan Adams is from British Columbia, and Celine Dion is Quebec's problem. Ottawa can "claim" Alanis Morrisette. Mike Myers...guilty as charged (honestly, if the Leafs ever win the Cup I fear he will try to make sweet love to the cup on live television).

I'll be watching the Leafs-Bruins whilst hoping Washington wins.

Posted by: Patrick | March 25, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Who needs sound if you can fill it with a bunch of liqoured up Caps fans?

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@AP

True. But will there be lots of Cap fans at either FP or Baileys. Someone mentioned the last time there was Cap viewing party, the turnout was less than spectacular.

I'm up for FP. I'll probably go, just to see the turnout.

Posted by: JSchon | March 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watching the game on Capitol Hill? Maybe get together at Ugly Mug on 8 St?

Posted by: katzistan | March 25, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Got a new job and they have me on lock down with the inet.
But, miss you all - hope the Caps win tonight and Alex makes one-timers happen way more than once.
Gotta go - see ya!

Posted by: 828 | March 25, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Alright well, I am just confused on where to go...Anywhere that will have the other Eastern Conference games on tv...

Where will the most Caps fans be besides sitting at home yelling at their TV? I am very surprised that some bar is not marketing this to bring extra people in on a Tuesday.

Posted by: Roger | March 25, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@ Greenie

Sounds great to me! I prefer a beer that is not watered down. Throw down a good one for me. I will be looking for you on the tube.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 25, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Well I'll be Rooting for the Caps and for myself to get a good grade on my mid-term tonight so lets hope all goes well.

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

It's less than ideal, but I'm meeting up with Sombrero Guy and a couple others at Outback in Laurel if anyone is around that area... stop in.

Posted by: Scofield | March 25, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow, no update and it's 12:30 on a gameday, I'm so lost

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was wondering were Tarik was myself, don't want to miss anything before I come down with the CAPS flu!!! 2.5 hours til launch!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 25, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@ JSchon

That was my statement, and I will retract it, it wasn't a viewing party. I guess they had just stated that they were going to show the game and have some discounts.

I am going to give them another shot tonight, hopefully we pack the house, not that it will take a lot of CAPS fans.

BTW I believe that the Budweiser products are $1.00 at CAPS games, but in the bottle, I had a few drafts before I found that out. So you may want to bring that up w/ your server before hand.

$4.00 draft - $1.00 bottle, that was easy.

GOOD LUCK GREENIE!
LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Super | March 25, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Ah spoke too soon

Posted by: AP | March 25, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@Super

Good, then I will be at the FP tonight. I know the bartenders there... hopefully they still work there.

Posted by: JSchon | March 25, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse