Brashear on Chirpers: 'I'll Hit When It's Time'

D.C. Sports Bogger Dan Steinberg asked Caps enforcer Donald Brashear how he deals with on-ice trash talk, and the answer was, well, exactly what you'd expect. Here's an excerpt:

I asked Brashear whether any of the league's most notorious chirpers had ever gotten under his skin.
"Not really," he said. "Not just from chirping. Because I think it's stupid, quite frankly. You know, if it's from the play, if I hit a guy and then the guy starts chirping at me, then yeah, I get into it. Like, 'Yeah? Yeah? you don't like it? Well, I'll do it again. Come and see me.'
"You know what I mean? I do the real chirping. Like, 'Yeah, you want to chirp, come see me and we'll figure it out,' you know what I mean? That's the chirping I like to do."

Check out the whole post here, and then click here for a great interview with Caps superfan Pat Sajak.

If you're near a TV at 5 p.m, check out Washington Post Live on Comcast SportsNet -- GM George McPhee will be a guest on today's show. (And now I'm officially done shilling for the day.)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 31, 2009; 3:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Green Set to Play
Next: Pothier Nominated for Masterton

Comments

I laughed so hard at this article. I love it.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 31, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

So chirpers are like ice trolls.

Posted by: uncatim | March 31, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

uncatim: Excellent analysis. :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 31, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Brash is great! I always was a Wheel of Fortune fan. I'm glad he's a Caps fan, it makes it slightly less embarrassing. Maybe for one of their fundraising events they could get some Caps on there, raising money for charity.

kittypawz, I think it probably would be too much to ask! I like the Flyers thirds as well, but they're not my favorite. The white nameplate on the back makes it look more like they just stick it on before every game. I love the Blues thirds.
As a not-so-closet Avery fan and hospitality major, I'm actually excited about his new bar. May have to visit if my travels ever take me to NYC.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@uncatim

exactly. their purpose in life is to annoy those around them; like Jarkko Ruutu & Sean Avery, who are supposedly some of the biggest chirpers.

Posted by: cc415 | March 31, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl: Call me crazy, but I actually like the orange 'thirds'... although I do think that the white nameplate makes it look amateurish, for lack of a better word.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 31, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

GregAnnapolis, Exactly my thoughts. They're bright, but not garish. My only qualm is those nameplates.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

He better be ready for some real chirping bc after getting knocked out in that fashion, he is gonna hear it from everyone. He better be very ready to come back bc he is probably gonna have to win a couple in decisive fashion to instill that fear again.

And chirpers are not ice trolls, chirping is part of the game and I do it a bunch when I play. As long as it is not chirping just to chirp and you have something behind it then its good.

Posted by: numero94 | March 31, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Tonight's games of interest:

Canadiens vs Blackhawks
Panthers vs Senators

Go hawks!
Go cats!

That would absolutely make my day. A non-Canadian eastern conference. Now, if we could just get rid of the Pitts...

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

94, I can soooo see you as a chirper!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 31, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Not that this means anything at all, but The Hockey News published a "sneak peek" at the hardware winners.

NORRIS TROPHY
The Favorites:
Zdeno Chara, Boston; Mike Green, Washingtom; Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit

Chara is simply too big to ignore, in stature and impact; it’s his to win. Like Paul Coffey, Green’s offense will get him nominated, but he’ll have to round out his game to convince voters. And Lidstrom? Well, we just thought he had to be nominated. He’s Nicklas Lidstrom.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

With Alex Ovechkin ready for a Rocket Richard Trophy repeat and Evgeni Malkin set to scoop up his first Art Ross Trophy for the scoring championship, the Russians are no longer coming; they’ve arrived, they’ve unpacked and they’re ordering takeout.

HART TROPHY
The Favorites:
Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh; Alex Ovechkin, Washington; Tim Thomas, Boston

Replace Thomas with Detroit’s Pavel Datsyuk for an all-Russian derby, but it looks like a two-borscht race between Malkin and Ovechkin.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S: But can they fit the Chinese takeout under the salary cap?

@numero94: I can see you as a grade A pest and chirper. Definitely. I'd love to hear you mic'ed up someday.

@jmu_capsgirl: I like the Blues thirds, too. Those are nice. I know it'll probably be a couple of seasons before we get thirds, if we get them at all, but I still like the idea of a dark blue third with the weagle on the front, same lettering in red-trimmed white on the back. Red piping and white stripe on the bottom, with the three stars in white down the sleeve. Numbers on the shoulders.

Yeah, I'm rambling. Wish I could draw.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 31, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Ovie better win the Hart. I look at a very important stat, which is 10 game winning goals. Everytime we've needed him, especially in the third period, he's always there. He's also played 3 less games than Malkin..

Posted by: rachel216 | March 31, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm kinda partial to the two-borscht race myself.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 31, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

i cant wait for someone to "chirp" at the donald about getting knocked out. donald will pummel them

Posted by: _stevo | March 31, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@jmu: Yeah, I remember looking at that when it first came up. Sort of similar, but the blue is darker, more like a navy, and the red appears at the bottom of the jersey as well.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 31, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, gotcha! I think it would look better with a darker blue like you suggest. That one's a bit too bright.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Bonita! You've been great for Caps Insider so far. Did Steinbog kick you off or something? You seem to get bounced around a lot.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | March 31, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@TheVampireCorndog:

Ha! Thanks. Actually, I think this NHL editor gig is considered a promotion.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | March 31, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, then congratulations! I look forward to them allowing you your own forum again someday maybe, I always enjoyed your previous blog.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | March 31, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't find the link to watch Wash Post Live streaming....infuriating. Anyone got it?

Thanks!

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 31, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | March 31, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Lindsay. I might just be a huge idiot, but I couldn't find the streaming link anywhere on the site.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 31, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean I can watch anything on CSN anytime? Or is that just for Washington Post Live?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 31, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Nope, they use it for other things during the day, unfortunately.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | March 31, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S.,

At the risk of being thought a homer, Ovie has to win the Hart. He is a scant 7 points behind Malkin, but a whopping 20 goals in front of Evgeni. Ovie will also lead his team to a division title, for the second straight season.

Tim Thomas is doing well, but has played in only 50 games! Goalies win Vezina, not Hart. (No offense to JT or the Dominator.)

Ovie has also dominated the media unlike any other player this season. My vote is cast.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 31, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm rambling. Wish I could draw.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 31, 2009 4:32 PM

@ Kitty:

Waitaminute! The Brain Spies have done it to me again! A over the last couple months I recall throwing an identical proposal out here for discussion. Some hated it, some (like yourself) loved it, some said OK, but on a red background...

Ah, well...maybe I didn't think of it first, but I did think of it independently...

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 31, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40 - I remember that post; I was on the "yes, on a red background" side. :)

Posted by: irockthered | March 31, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

@IRTR:

Thanks for noticing--I appreciate it :) Having perused the links in some of the above posts, I have to agree that red background looks cool too. Still, blue background doesn't suck.

BTW--have you listened to those Pummeler songs? OMFG, I was laughing so hard it almost brought tears to my eyes...too bad they can play those at the home games *evil grin*

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 31, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - When talking about interesting games, I would also count:

* Nashville at Columbus - there are two points separating these two teams in the Western playoff hunt; they are even on games, and Nashville has won 3 in a row; Columbus has lost 2, and are the leading team. This is for the 6th and 7th seeds in the west.

* Anaheim at Edmonton - Both teams are currently out of the playoff race, but VERY close to capturing that 8th seed from St. Louis. They have played an equal number of games, and Anaheim is one point ahead of Edmonton in the standings, currently sitting 9-10. St. Louis is ahead of Anaheim by one point, so a win by Anaheim would put them in 8th seed; a win by Edmonton would put them tied in standings points with St. Louis.

The other games?

Tampa Bay at Boston is interesting to me IF Tampa Bay pulls off a miracle and wins it, because we're trying to catch Boston. May not do it, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Vancouver at Minnesota is less interesting, because Vancouver has their 5th seed position by 5 points over the Jackets, and Minnesota is 4 points out of 8th seed. Nothing will change, either way, on that one.

Dallas at Los Angeles is only interesting because these teams are both below 80 points; Dallas, however, is ahead by 3 points, so even an LA win won't change their standings.

You're right about Chicago at Montreal being of interest to us; if Chicago wins, Montreal can no longer have a 100 point season, and while our seed is in no danger if we win the division, it is strongly my preference to have whatever seed we get due to points standings rather than by virtue of being 1st in the SouthEast.

Florida at Ottawa: a Florida win puts them in 8th seed, if Montreal can't beat Chicago, and it puts the Habs out in the cold. That could be very interesting. to watch. I'd feel bad for the Habs... kindof. What with it being their 100th season and all, it would stink for them if they didn't even make the playoffs, but hey - it's their spot to lose.

Posted by: irockthered | March 31, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

tim thomas?!?!?!?

really??

lol.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 31, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, but I wanted to dip on over to Kettler tomorrow and catch the morning skate because one of my classes got canceled. I know the skates are optional and don't last long, but does anyone have a ballpark range for how long the guys are usually out on the ice?

Thanks a lot!

Posted by: InSEMINator | March 31, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

@inSEMINator

I went down to the morning skate this past Friday. Got down there around 10:20 and only Brash, Schultz, and Varly were still out on the ice. They were practicing breakouts and then shooting at the net. Clark and Gordon came out around 10:40 but they stayed down the other side of the ice the whole time.We left around 11:00 and they were still out there.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 31, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Well optional skate Semin wont be there. OV and Theo will be in the dressing room steaming up a new side show. Theo will be practicing his Michael Jackson impersonation because they both wear a glove for no apparent reason

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 31, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks a bunch ludeman! I appreciate it.

Posted by: InSEMINator | March 31, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Tim:
Ice trolls ... HA!

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 31, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Panthers anouncers are hoping the last game against the Caps will not mean anything and we will be resting some regulars, or Ovie will only play 20 minutes instead of 25.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | March 31, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

FoxSports on MSN rated the ten toughest coaching jobs. Habs coach was the only hockey job, coming in at #7.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 31, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Some early(ish) results, mostly no shakeups, but we have a new 3rd seed in the West:

* BOS 3, TBL 1 (no surprise there, and no change for euither team)
* CBJ 2, NSH 1 (Blue Jackets keep their 6th slot in the West for now, and Nashville is down by 4)
* MTL 4, CHI 1 (Montreal keeps its 8th seed in the East for now)
* FLA 5, OTT 2 (Florida stays 1 point behind Montreal and out of the playoffs for now)
* VAN 2, MIN 1 (Vancouver moves into the 3rd seed in the West, one point up on Calgary)

We're still waiting for the results on the Anaheim-Edmonton game (1-1 at the end of 1), and the Dallas-Los Angeles game hasn't started yet (or has just started).

Anaheim has the potential, with a win, to knock the Blues out of 8th seed in the West; Edmonton can tie the Blues in points standings... this is a HUGE game for both teams!

Dallas and Los Angeles? It doesn't matter which team wins this one, because no change will take place in the standings. Dallas is 4 points behind Minnesota, and LA is 3 points behind Dallas. Read this as "Sal's probably gonna go to bed at the end of Anaheim-Edmonton and read about it in the morning!"

Posted by: irockthered | March 31, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* either, not "euither"... I can't type tonight!

Posted by: irockthered | March 31, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

irockthered:
*sigh* either, not "euither"... I can't type tonight!
no worries - i knew what you meant
a mtl loss would have been nice

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 31, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ - Yeah it would have, but it's still close, since Florida won, too. That 8th seed is still anybody's puck game, and it's Montreal's to lose. I was actually mildly surprised that Montreal won that against Chicago... but only mildly. :)

Posted by: irockthered | March 31, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

i thought waiting through the summer was a long time for caps hockey - five days during the season s*cks - COME ON TOMORROW!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 31, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Anaheim over Edmonton, 5-3 (empty net goal) puts Anaheim into the 8th seed ahead of St. Louis (84 points to 83).

QUAAAAAACK!