Brashear out and Other Notes

Here's the latest from KCI:

Injury Update
Sergei Fedorov's status remains unclear, but Coach Boudreau said Donald Brashear (sprained knee) is definitely not playing tonight. He did not skate this morning and was walking slowly with a bit of a limp when I saw him.

Meantime, if Fedorov can't go, that leaves the Caps without their best faceoff man for a second straight game. You might have noticed the Flyers dominated the dot Thursday, winning 67 percent of the faceoffs.

Sending a Message
The Caps enter tonight's game with a commanding 12-point lead on the 'Canes. But it's still big, Boudreau said:

"We've played two pretty good games, but they spanked us pretty good," he said. "When they're in the playoffs, there's a good matchup between us and them. We want to play as good as we can to see how we match up against them."

The Caps won the first two meetings between the division rivals, but the 'Canes captured the last two, winning 3-1 on Dec. 7 and 5-2 on March 3. The season series wraps up next Saturday at RBC Center.

Aucoin Having a Career Year
If Aucoin gets in tonight -- and every indication I received this morning was that he will -- it will be only his fourth game in the NHL this season, despite some pretty gaudy numbers in the AHL. He's the league's leading scorer with 22 goals and 86 points -- 10 more than Alexandre Giroux.

Aucoin's career high is 99 points with Albany in 2006-07.

"He's having a career year," Boudreau said. "He's at the age where he's in the prime of his career and he's on a pretty good club. We just felt that if we did need somebody, I'd rather put Brooks [Laich] at wing than at center."

Ovechkin on a Roll
Alex Ovechkin is on a nine-game point streak (six goals, six assists), which is one shy of his third 10-game point streak of the season.

Home Cookin'?
Verizon Center might be loud and packed these days. But it hasn't been so kind to the Caps lately. They've lost four straight (0-3-1) there after opening the season 18-1-1. In fact, they're 7-8-1 at Verizon Center in their last 16 games.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 14, 2009; 12:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fedorov 'Questionable' for Tonight
Next: Fedorov out, Aucoin In

Comments

Tarik

I wasn't kidding, your big boss just told me he'd buy you a digital camara. Go see him and ask him about his new Beemer, and get a voucher or whatever you newsies do

Posted by: Leeguru | March 14, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Time to turn that home record around, boys. Forget about showing off. Play your game, take it to them, kick their tails, and we'll all go home happy.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 14, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, you gonna swing by the CapsRoadCrew tailgate next week? Same place as last year!

Posted by: StikSav | March 14, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

Are you serious? If so, I'm shootin Marcus and email right now.

Posted by: el_bashir | March 14, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@StikSav

It all depends on how my day goes. But I'm thinking about it.

Posted by: el_bashir | March 14, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I am NOT kidding. He was just here, bought a car, and I told him you needed a camara. I typed it while he was still in the office. He said that was something he could do, they had money for it. I even told him about Sombrero's effort to raise the funds. he also like that idea.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 14, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

whose your buddy, huh? whose your pal? That's right, Leeguru looking out for TEB...

Posted by: Leeguru | March 14, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

haha awesome.

Posted by: MNMNT | March 14, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Nice work, Leeguru. I've got some hard cases financed before but I never got Tarik a camera.

Posted by: uncatim | March 14, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Boston already jumping the Isles 2-0

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 14, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

whatever happened to that camera fund? I forgot about that.

Posted by: oo7 | March 14, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"whatever happened to that camera fund? I forgot about that. -- oo7"

I don't know, but in San Pedro Island beach I saw a guy with a mexican hat, tequila on hand, and two pretty senoritas yelling "C A P S" and the girls giggling and yelling back "SI!!!
CAPEEEEEEETALLLLLLeS" - well, there were other people looking at each other and saying "que? gringo loco!", so I am not sure he was sombrero guy.

Posted by: hock1 | March 14, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

2-1 all of a sudden. Isles have been playing well of late who knows right?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 14, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

leeguru,
c'mon that cant be true. where would a newspaper guy get enough dough for a BMW, much less a digital camera? hope he put some money down.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 14, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@ Kitttpawz -- astute point. The Caps win when they play their system, for the most part. I think in the last three-four games, they are back to playing their system. They got too cocky, too cutsie after that last winning streak. They seemed to be able to do anything and still win, look at Semin's 70-foot goal against Tim Thomas, best in the league. Now they are playing a lot more sound all-around. The slump happened at the best time -- before the playoffs. Now the Caps are playing playoff hockey, knocking off two hot teams and JT is playing great in goal for the most part.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 14, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

PS If you are lucky enough to be going to the game, please DO NOT BOO THE CAPS! The Caps thrive on an upbeat and excited fanbase, so cheer 'em on.

C-A-P-S, CAPS, CAPS, CAPS!!!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The Caps need to pitch a shutout, I think that Theo only has 1 this year, and that was back when the Redskins were still in the playoff hunt.

Posted by: gtydings | March 14, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Place your bets! With 13 games left, the Caps have a chance to tie or break the franchise record for wins in a season (50 in 1985-86). Not bad for a team with such a suspect D, eh? Given the remaining schedule, the odds would seem good. Then again, they haven't been faring too well against their own division of late. Any guesses on the final record for the season?

Posted by: geauxcaps | March 14, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Dcsportsfan,

He's THE editor, so he makes big bucks.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 14, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

of course, the Post keeps shutting down and cutting costs, so I may be wrong...

Posted by: Leeguru | March 14, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

will someone please update me as to the status of Simeon Varlamov? is he fully healed? will he be called up to take over back-up duty for Neuvirth (i think that's the right call)?

Posted by: jkallen001 | March 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Time to avenge the loss of March 3, Caps. Unfortunately, I won't be there since I sold my tickets.

Time for Sasha to have a great game. He usually does well against Carolina.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 14, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

About Varlamov, all indication is that he's healthy and playing well in Hershey. He'll be back I'm sure, but for now they want him getting ice and at 100%. He's slated to play tonight.

I'm about to leave work (I hate working at a bank that started in Pittsburgh, far too many Pens fans as customers) for the game. We need to show Carolina that the division is not at all within their reach, and that a first round series against us would not be close.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | March 14, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Go Caps! Go Habs! Go Bolts!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 14, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

3 point game go.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 14, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I want a win, whatever score it is, for the fans who will be packing the Verizon Center for tonight's game. Win it, Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 14, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@gtydings:
Hockey superstition-- please don't mention the "S" word until it actually happens.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 14, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I am with JIMALLCAPS about not booing the Caps tonight. Just cheers - no jeers! Go Caps!!!

Posted by: rvan641 | March 14, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Theo last shut out was "... back when the Redskins were still in the playoff hunt"?

Has Theo been here that many years?

Posted by: tELb | March 14, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

leeguru,
like i said, i hope he put down a deposit! give us a hint...7 series, M5...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 14, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know a link for tonights game? I am in Denver.

Posted by: tELb | March 14, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

3 series

Posted by: Leeguru | March 14, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov still have the flu? Man, he's missed A LOT of games this season. I love the guy, but $4 million for half a season doesn't seem worth it.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | March 14, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

tELb

NHL's cracking down on the illegal Internet streams. You can sign up for Gamecenter at NHL.com for $20 per month.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | March 14, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hi everyone!---Please support a local artist with an original song on iTunes! Vist our page on iTunes.com by using the link below.
Kindred Spirits inspirational single "Best of the Moment" is also available on Amazon MP3

iTunes