Brashear, Pens' Cooke Out (Updated)

Donald Brashear did not make the trip to Pittsburgh, but Coach Bruce Boudreau said he's hopeful the veteran enforcer will play Saturday against New Jersey. Brashear suffered a bruised/jammed finger when he was struck by a puck in Monday's game.

Boudreau confirmed that Jose Theodore will be in net. He also said the forward lines and pairings will be the same as yesterday's.

Former Cap Matt Cooke, the only player who can say he's played in a regular season game with both Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby, said he'll be sidelined tonight. He was injured against the Flyers, but he did manage to catch up with some of the Caps this morning outside the dressing room at Mellon Arena. Even though he signed with the rival Pens this summer, he said he still shares a special bond with the Caps because of what they accomplished late last season.

"We went through a pretty emotional time," he said. "And we came together in a hurry and played well."

He also said that he talked to GM George McPhee after last season about returning. But the sides couldn't get a deal worked out.

"It's part of the game where a situation happens where you don't stay in the same spot," Cooke added. "I find myself here in Pittsburgh, playing against the guys you grew so close to. You have some success [in Washington] and it makes you want to stay. George and myself talked many times. It just wasn't going to work."

About playing with both Ovechkin and Crosby, Cooke said: "I hope that's not my only claim to fame. It's been special. My time with Alex, we right it off right way and got along really well. ...I feel honored to be able to play with two such amazing players, two guys who care about the game and where NHL goes so much."

Here are some other quotes to get you ready for tonight:

*Pierre McGuire had some interesting thoughts on the Ovechkin-Crosby rivalry that I couldn't fit in today's paper.

"This rivalry has been going on for a long time going back to when Canada played Russia in world junior championships, and the physical domination of Canada. Crosby was involved in a series of hits on Ovechkin that eventually put him out of the game. So this rivalry has been brewing since then, if not the year before."

"It comes down to who's better, Crosby or Ovechkin? Who can you build your team around more? Who's better in terms of advertising dollars? The questions are out there."

"Bird always had Magic. Roger Staubach always had the Washington Redskins. Lemieux always Gretzky. It's more than just sport. It's human drama and theatre. It's two very proud men who care very much about not only their athletic standing but how they are perceived amongst their peer group. And because they are the two top guys, that forces the issue even more."

Good stuff.

*Boudreau's thoughts on the Ovechkin-Crosby rivalry becoming a Caps-Pens rivalry (from yesterday):

"I think they're a good team and we're a good team," he said. "If you look at last year, every game was a one-goal game. In the three games since I've been here, they've won in overtime and they tied it in last minute, we won in overtime, and they won on the [Nicklas Backstrom own] goal. For whatever reason, whenever we get together with them, whether it's the hype on Alex vs. Sidney or Malkin, the teams get up for the games and their good games. They can go either way. And I anticipate that will be the situation again," today.

*Boudreau on Theodore (who's got a 4.00 goals against and a 8.47 save percentage):

"We want to see him get into the role we predicted for him--stopping a lot of pucks--and looking comfortable doing it," Boudreau said. "It's going to based on his confidence, and hopefully he'll be ready to step up and play."

*Boudreau also said he's not worried that Caps won't have Brashear to keep Pens' enforcer Eric Godard honest.

"Eric Godard is a really tough guy," he said. "But we've got guys who have been through the wars with tough guys before. They've got a lot of courage."

Asked about the Godard-Riley Cote fight from the other night, Boudreau cracked: "It was pretty good. I'm just glad I wasn't a recipient of either side of that."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 16, 2008; 11:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore Gets Start Vs. Pens
Next: Poti Out With Groin Pull (Updated)

Comments

Mike Green > Mike Green

Posted by: Ben | October 16, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Mellon

Posted by: ACF | October 16, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Tough Break not having Brashear, the interesting thing to see is how Fehr takes advantage of his opportunity to play. I am concerned with Erskine's lack of mobility against a fast team like Pittsburgh.

This should be a good game, although big advantage Pittsburgh with MAF vs. Jose in goal...seeing a 5-3 Pitts win..not what I want but I have no confidence in Theodore.

Opus

Posted by: opus | October 16, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

over/under on how many softies glossy haired theodore allows?

sucks about cooke. i don't think brash will be missed, we have the best hockey player ever in matt bradley to get into some scrums if needed.

Posted by: IAMOK | October 16, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

UNLEASH THE FURY!

Posted by: Slava | October 16, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Brash should at least sit in the stands right behind the Penguins bench and lust look pissed.

That would keep em in check.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 16, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, did you forget about me??? I've played with Sid and Ovie. How could you forget about me? In fact, if the Caps didn't trade me for Jagr, then the team may never have been bad enough to even draft Ovie. All Hail Me!!! KB

Posted by: Kris Beech | October 16, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Good point KB, but are you still in the NHL?

Posted by: AP | October 16, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Nice article today. I liked the "Apologies to Malkin" crack especially.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 16, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I just went over all the Caps and Pens rosters and I'm pretty sure both Beech and Fata may have been in training camp with Alex and Sid, but they never played in a game with both.

Posted by: Tarik | October 16, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys,
I just moved back to the area after being gone for a few years. Where's a good place to watch the game tonight?
I'm looking for some place in the city where the Cap's game will get priority billing.
Any suggestions?

Posted by: Back In Town | October 16, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

No. After being traded 8 times in 5 days I've packed up my bags and I think I'm in Sweeden or someplace like that. Thanks for asking. I always enjoyed my time in DC. It was tough being a draft bust, but thankfully I think most people have forgotten about me.

Posted by: Kris Beech | October 16, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, thanks for looking into my stats. Its always nice to be noticed. I definitely played with OV in 2006-07. I may have suited up for Pittsburgh when Sid was hurt last year. I definitely smelled his jock. Does that count?

Posted by: Kris Beech | October 16, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, did you just say there was a Rico Fata sighting? Wow

Posted by: stevo | October 16, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Pierre McGuire is a numb-skull.

Posted by: Mark Tucker | October 16, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, did someone mention my name? I'm still the fastest skater you will ever see. If only I didn't have hands of stone.

Posted by: Rico Fata | October 16, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

That would keep em in check.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 16, 2008 12:11 PM

That would be difficult since he didn't travel to Pittsburgh.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I really think this is a pivotal game for Jose and the defense. Right now Pittsburgh is a little shaky. We can make them even more nervous or give them a little swagger back. Hopefully it will be the former.

Hopefully karma will do it's magic and Nicky will get a little revenge tonight. Who can we mike up to deliver the cackle?

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey wait a second, I did play with both of these guys. In fact, I played with them IN THE SAME SEASON. Get lost Kris Beech, I am the original Matt Cooke. And I'm available...

Posted by: Rico Fata | October 16, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Also, glad for the info on Matt Cooke. Can't wait to show my little girl. When watching the Pens/Flyers game the other night she saw Cooke in the Pens uniform. She was rather upset. Her words were "Cooke plays for the Penguins??? Oh my gosh, I hope he is still cool"

Will be good to tell her that at least for now, he is still cool.

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

It comes down to who do you pick, the team playing well in front of the VERY suspect goalie or the team playing poorly in front of the goalie playing well. I'll be happy if JT holds them below 5 tonight, but that really puts the pressure on the Caps!

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Could somebody answer this; I thought Carter (phi center) was the one who virtually knocked Ovi out of the World Junior championships. Cause it sounds like everyone on that team is taking credit for knocking him out. Did they all line up and knock him out?

Does Briere take credit for knocking him out as well?

Need clarification please.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 16, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Don't know about downtown, but Buggsy's in Old Town Alexandria has new TVs and will be filled with Caps fans tonight and Sat

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Briere just speared him in the nuts and ran REAL fast

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@Kim: The person I'd kill to mike up is Matt Bradley. That man kills me every time he opens his mouth in front of a mike.

Nicky scoring tonight would be a fitting revenge. In fact, a proper revenge would be multiple goals! Here's to a hat trick for Nicky tonight!

I'm glad I'm not the only one nervous about Theodore.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 16, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, could you clarify who knocked OV out of the worlds? I do find it difficult to believe that Crosby would hit anyone hard enough, much less MULTIPLE times, to knock them out. Especially OV. (Based on watching both of their play for the past few years)

Posted by: Leeguru | October 16, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Matt Cooke is a class act. Too bad we didn't have room for him.

Posted by: Cookie | October 16, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Chicago Fires Savard

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh ... I found out something horrid last night (well, some of you will consider it horrid, I think it's amusing). My dearest friend in the world from high school has become a Penguins fan. o.o Yes, there is a friendly wager on tonight's game.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 16, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Mauree,

The ticket is yours if you want it.

Posted by: Steve R | October 16, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@TSFR

The godfather of my children and very good friend (and friend of Steve R) is a DIEHARD pens fan. You learn to live with it, although going to games with him is sometimes difficult

Posted by: Leeguru | October 16, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hell yeah of course I want it :D Can you e-mail me at ungaro@jlab.org for details, price/timing etc?

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@ Bob - More details, please! Has Bugsy sprung for a big-screen yet? I've watched a few games there over the years but got tired of squinting at the TVs.

Posted by: Jill | October 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Chicago fires Savard.

He had 4 games...He failed...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Rent and leeguru,

At least they are not Flyer fans. IMO nothing could be worse.

Posted by: RonG Capsfan | October 16, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Goddard vs. Cote was NICE.

Tarik PLEASE don't ever quote McGuire on the topic of Crosby. I love Pierre and respect everything he's done for the game, but when it comes to Crosby, he's a posterchild for the Canadian Media's delusion.

I swear that when Pierre is in between the benches for TSN broadcasts or NBC broadcasts and Crosby sits even remotely close to him, you can see little cartoon hearts bubbling up from his bald head.

Seriously, if Sidney Crosby took off his skate and stabbed a teammate, McGuire would justify it.

Anyway.... F the Pens. We're going to hold them to 9 shots.

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | October 16, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Good luck boys, I'll be receiving text updates and Tivoing the game while watching United play tonight.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 16, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Tonight is what I'm looking forward to!

No disrespect to the Blackhawks and Canucks, but tonight's Capitals-Penguins game is what gets me in the best mood for HOCKEY!

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | October 16, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Mauree, sent you an e-mail with info

Posted by: Steve R | October 16, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Any team that has Miro Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko in a key role, we'll I'll just say I like our chances tonight if the Caps take it to them.

Posted by: Caps 423 | October 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Theo plays well tonight (does not stumble out out of the gate) and the Caps win 4-2. Semin scores as does Ovechkin, Backstrom has two assists, and the Caps outpuck Fittsburgh 32-22

Posted by: mbr | October 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want to guess how many goals JT let's in?

My guess is 4.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Hell yeah I'm gonna go watch the W-A-S-H-I-N-G-T-O-N C-A-P-I-T-A-L-S !!!!

forgive me... will be my first time at a NHL game :D

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Bugsy has a number of big screens and HD. I was not going back until I saw they had new TVs on the website. Not a bad place to watch now, except the people watching the little analog TVs tend to start cheering about 30 seconds before you see what they are cheering about

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations mauree!! You will have a blast.

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Mauree: for real??? You're joking!

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 16, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

A great place to watch the game is at the McDonalds at Fairfax Circle near Rt. 50.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Nice to see you got a chance to get Cooks's perspective into print. He had the misfortune of being caught in a numbers game here. He would have been a welcome addition to the Caps this year if there was money available and space.

It would have been nice if you or any of the other media who cover the Caps had gotten Huet's reaction as well when he was in DC a few days ago. Not sure why/how that was not a story that was worth publisihing somewhere??

Posted by: Riddler | October 16, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Mauree: I picture the look on your face being similar to the wide-eyed look on my niece's face the first time I handed her a pair of Caps tickets and said "we're going for a drive to DC today".

Posted by: tess | October 16, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice to hear from Cooke... I'm still sorry we couldn't find a place for him, he seemed like a good guy and came through in the clutch for us a couple times.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 16, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 16, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL...Good stuff, Sombrero Guy.

Posted by: Riddler | October 16, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero,

I like the crack somebody made about the number of Crosby jerseys. I'm sure McGuire found them all and interviewed them.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 16, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Cooke isnt worth what Pitt paid him.

Huet might not even be the starter in Chicago, and look at what her got.

McPhee looks good right now..

Theodore doesnt have to be good, because no one can get the puck away from the Caps offense.

Posted by: The truth | October 16, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru: True. I love her anyway, and just tell her that we all have our problems and delusions. ^^

@RonG: You're not kidding, dude. I think I'd have to smack her.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

maurree, make sure steve buys you an ice cream cone!

Posted by: Leeguru | October 16, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Mauree,
I am officially jealous - enjoy!

Am I the only one not worried about JT. I think tonight he changes a few people's minds *crosses fingers*

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | October 16, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

All I have to say is THANK GOD that moron that was posting yesterday decided to stay away today!!!!

With all the league changes promoting more goal scoring including reducing the size of goalie gear next year what is everyone's opinion on having another 50 goal in 50 game player???

I know it's off subject but I am curious!!

Posted by: Phil R | October 16, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Another good place to watch the game is at Johnny Rockets in Arlington. They have yummy shakes.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Jose should get 'er done tonight - witness these numbers:

Career vs. Pens
12-4 record, 2.21 GAA & .917 save Pct

Career @ Mellon Arena:
4-1 record, 1.48 GAA & .946 save pct (his highest % in any NHL arean)

Posted by: el freako | October 16, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I forgot what the ice-cream gig was :D but I'll mention it hehe

Right now I'm as friggin happy as many years ago, when I finally got to see my soccer team (Milan) in Italy.

I went to a few Redskins games at FedEx field but that won't compare to Saturday night, my passion is all for the Caps :D

hell yeah!

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Mauree, there is no comparison. Especially when it comes to the deadskins at Fedex. You will have a GREAT time.

Posted by: Leeguru | October 16, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh I almost forgot I've seen a few games at Anita's but the game is in Spanish. Good tequila though.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Dave

You may be right, I just hope it is my mind he changes not GMGM and BB! I just don't know what to expect, will it be 2 or 12? We can only hope for a great game!

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

JT's Swiss Cheese Factory, Truth Be Told, and whatever else you're posting under... It'd be entertaining if you were actually funny.

Posted by: Duh. | October 16, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Matt Bradley with a mike would be classic. Love that guy, and would love to buy him a beer some day.

The whole Satan/Penguin thing is just too easy...

mauree - can't even begin to say enough about how much you will enjoy the game. Went to home opener and then Redskins game next day, then Monday against Van. No comparison. Hockey is definitely the best live experience (and way more family oriented).

Oh, and after a day at Fed Ex I swear I will never ever complain again about the music at Verizon.

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the help Cheese, classy.

I'd love to watch the game someplace in the city, on the big tv, and with some real fans. still open to suggestions.

Posted by: Back In Town | October 16, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

In town, Green Turtle

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh okay D.C. Hmm...what about the Camelot on M Street (?). You may have to look it up as I am not sure of the exact address. I've seen a ton of Caps fans there on game day.

If you go let me know what you think.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@Kim: They had Sean Callahan miked for the Rangers game last night, and while most of it was dull, the moment where he almost takes a flying puck in the teeth while sitting on the bench is priceless.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 16, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

BOUDREAU would crush Godard!!!

Posted by: Face Wash | October 16, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

If you're at Camelot watching a game there might just be something wrong with you.

Posted by: Graham | October 16, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

my mommy says my curfew is in 20 minutes. if i don't get off the interweb she says i can't have dinner! i can't miss twinkies and french fries for dinner tonight!

Posted by: truth be told | October 16, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Interviewing McGuire?
Was Ecklund unavailable?

I was sad to see Cooke didn't get resigned, especially when he signed for only $1.2 million with Pitt.

Posted by: Stormblue | October 16, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

How many goals is JT going to let in tonight? I say 4. Can't wait for the hysteria and panic on a beautiful Friday as the JT skitzo bashers come out in force. I think I'll join them. Remember --- me me spot on.

The Swiss Cheese

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

don't feed the trolls.....

Posted by: Leeguru | October 16, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I'm going to be able to chat during the game but if not will check back with you guys tomorrow. I may have to go to bed early but my mom may let me stay up late. In that case, it will be fun.

My guess is Kozzy isn't playing. Any word on his status; i.e., loaned to the Russian elite team perhaps?

The Cheese

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

JustInTown,

If you're still looking check out the Penn Quarter Sports Tavern:

The Caps Fan Club is meeting there tonight. It's near the Navy Memorial metro stop, 3 or 4 blocks from Verizon Center.

Posted by: 2AlexesFan | October 16, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me how Theo doesm, because this team does not need stellar goaltending to be effective and make a run in the play-offs. We need Theo or Johnson to make the big save at the right time, and I think they'll be able to do that for us. How would keeping Huet put us in a better position than we are in today? Let's cheer for the guys we have instead of being haters because some might not be off the the best of starts. Remember guys it's a long season, lots more to occur in 08-09, so grab a frosty beverage and sit back and enjoy the ride. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: mbr | October 16, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes you need goalie to be stellar, Not sure how you figure you don't remember Atlanta. Vancouver did not take a lot of shots but that will not be the normal. Penguins may be a little low on shots because they actually set up their shots and are not just blindly firing.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

look up the definition of stellar...there are few goalies in the nhl that fall under that category on a consistent basis (lundqvist, luongo, brodeur). Consistency is a better word for the Caps goaltenders. They have to be consistently good but not amazing for the Caps to be successful this year. This team will score a lot of goals.

Posted by: mbr | October 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

God, I f****** HATE the f****** Penguins, Cindy Criesby, Malkin Bubble Gum Face/Down's Sydrome, traitor Gonchar, and the rest of those *sshats. Here's hoping we kick the s*** and snot out of them tonight.

LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | October 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

If you have a good team you can afford not to have stellar goaltending. Look at the wings, and Osgood. Ken Holland came out and said that the team philosophy was to have above average goaltending and a solid two way team. I believe there was a direct quote, something about him not seeing the difference between an 800K goalie and an 8 mil goalie.

Posted by: Graham | October 16, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

This may be off subject, but I have hated the Pittsburg Penguins since that first playoff series back in 91. They always get the cheap call because of their whining. I hate this team more than any other team in the history of sports. More so than Yankees or Cowboys or Flyers or anyone.
Go Caps. Crush the Pens! Lets finally get the tide of this rivalry turned to the red white and blue, it has been on their side far to long!

Posted by: DrowningPens | October 16, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

^No, you're right on topic! I feel exactly the same way, especially the way we all suffered through having the Pens' OBNOXIOUS fans at the Sunday game last season...grrrr....we have got to win tonight to get this season started right! GO CAPS!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | October 16, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Where did all the Semin haters go?

Posted by: White capris | October 16, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

DCGirl,

Boy are you right,the Pens fans that Sunday were f'n obnoxious. It still irritates me.

New season starts tonight.

Kick Cindy's A**!!!

Posted by: 2AlexesFan | October 16, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Gonch a traitor? Hate to tell you but Gonch would still be here if he had been wanted, he was seen as expendable by the team during the rebuild.

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

So mauree is going to be in the house!! mauree: look for me - will be the one wearing red!! ;-) Do you think we can get announcer dude to say mauree's name the way he does the players' names?!?

Leeguru:
Why on earth are you missing this game? Please don't tell me it is something silly like work or family - you need to get your priorities straight!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Yipee I'm so exicted for the game I wet my pants.

Oh those boys are much to much.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese | October 16, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Boo, yea, that's what I said to Lee too.

Oh well, his loss = Mauree's first game which is cool.

Posted by: Steve R | October 16, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Yay, mauree! Have fun!

So the roommate asked me yesterday if I was going to be watching hockey everyday or if she could maybe watch some TV since she was paying half the bill. Guess I've got to go through and highlight the "must watch live" games.

I'm sort of surprised there's been only one comment on Savard getting the boot in Chicago. Is 4 games a new league record?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Um, Boo, yea, both of those are my excuse.

Steve is missing tonights game for soccer!

Posted by: Leeguru | October 16, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Was missing tonights game for soccer. Leg is feeling damaged from Sunday's game, so decided to sit tonight and play again Sunday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posted by: Steve R | October 16, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh yea, what's with trying to deflect the attn away from yourself Lee? Just ain't right.

Posted by: Steve R | October 16, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Well, clearly mauree has HIS priorities straight - driving all the way up here for a game! Work? GF? Please ... ;-) And to think, you would just have to drive across town ... no VC ice cream cone for you, my friend!

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Um, I could walk to the metro boo. I'm a bad fan.

i am contacting my source to request my tix for the season.

Posted by: Leeguru | October 16, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to say guys but yuz knows me to be right and JT going be the thorn in our sides this year. Man is it going to be frustrating.

I hate to say I told you so just stating the facts as we will know them.

The Cheese

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
Sounds like you have your priorities straight now, too! :-)

Leeguru:
You are digging a deeper hole by saying you could walk to the metro ... Anyway, why contact your source for tickets? Did Steve take away your seat since you tattled? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Grilled Swiss Cheese for dinner!

Thanks mom.

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

JT's Swiss Cheese Factory is joe the plumber

Posted by: Joe-12 pack | October 16, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Lipstick on a Pig.

Now get this - me me spot on. JT not going to help the Zoo's mood tonight me thinks.

Everyone think JT tonight when they go to bed.

Heeheehee

Posted by: Joe-24 Pack | October 16, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

JMU

You seriously need a new room mate!!!

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I just checked our records. JMU_capsgirl paid for PM tv viewing. Her room mate paid for AM viewing. Game on.

Posted by: JMU DEAN | October 16, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

lol, thanks guys! I'm trying to convert her to a hockey fan. She's watched a few with me, but she complains she can't follow the puck. I figure I watch this game tonight, and I can watch the next few on DVR delay. But not this one. Its too...too...Caps vs Pens to watch on delay.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Just got The Hockey News ... the cover story is, "Washington Capitals - The Most Exciting Team in the NHL" :-D LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Yipeeeee.

Redsox in 1 hour
Florida State in 30 minutes

Posted by: I'm so excited crowd | October 16, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Yippee

GO RAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Die Yankees Lite!!!

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

IM SOOOO F-ING JACKED UP!!!!! EVERYBODY CHILL THE F OUT!!!!! EXHIBIT SOME DECORUM!!!! HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!! STOP USING CAPS LOCK!!!!

my bad...

Posted by: JSchon | October 16, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I just fed, bathed, and put my kids to sleep, walked the dog, cleaned the cat box, vaccumed the living room rug, swept the porch, and called my hubby in LA to tell him have a good night.

ARE WE READY FOR SOME HOCKEY OR WHAT?

I'm a hockeymom2. -- Go Palin

Posted by: hockeymom2 | October 16, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

THE ZOO HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!! HOW DID I KNOW?

ME ME SPOT ON DUDES!!!!!

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sascha, the 70s called, they want their shirt back.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Comcast is soooo lame, why can't they show the pregame in HD? What they only have 2 HD cameras???

Posted by: Bob | October 16, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

The HD tube is a hummin', snacks strategically placed about, and The Barco calls!

Lets Go Cap-I-Tals!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 16, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

JT's record doesn't look too shabby from here. lol
Hey! We managed to stop the first shot of the night!
And then we get to kill a penalty.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Where's Joe Beninati tonight? Nothing against Al of course, but Joe is pretty much "The Voice" of Capitals away games for me (now that the home games are all viewed in person).

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 16, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Check Versus. He's probably calling a game for them...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see that the Pens' first shot of the game was saved. I like that continuous improvement.

Posted by: Justbrewit | October 16, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Looking good so far tonight, though we really should have scored by now, there have been several point blank chances off of rebounds and a few great passes.

Posted by: DonCosmic | October 16, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

THAT was a garbage goal ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

GOAL #1

Everybody stand up and yell SWISS CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me me spot on

Posted by: JT's SWISS CHEESE FACTORY | October 16, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

my goodness theo :(

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

You said it, sister.

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Who knows hockey? Me me spot on that's who!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SWISS CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
you sure you want to drive all the way up here ... for THAT?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, that's not what we need away. I'm not giving up on Theo yet but man, this is like Olie's three worst games of last year if they'd all happened in a row.

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | October 16, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Tim:
I hope you're talking to me! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.

Since you've asked I am not saying a word yet. But it won't last if there will be another screw up.

Posted by: Dave King | October 16, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Theo's stick handling is not just bad, but he makes dangerous decisions to do it.

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | October 16, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

of course :D

But Theo should have stopped that hehe

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

The ZOO sells out JT. NOw how did I know that the bashing would start TONIGHT!

Posted by: The Zookeeper | October 16, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Boo!:

I sure wasn't talking to the troll. I thought the swiss were neutral.

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
Yes, that was painful. One of those goals that you could see developing in slow motion. Not cool. At least he got that last one ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Tim:
LOL!!! :-) At least I like swiss cheese ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Step 1 - stop taking penalties
Step 2 - tell the D to play D
Step 3 - find out what's the matter with the Beaver

ANOTHER penalty?!? What's the deal??????

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

This is just painful to watch.... :-/

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

They're not showing the replays here... are those penalties good calls?

Arg... 2-0... watch us win 6-4

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Are we sure this game isn't on NBC? Its going about like it is...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Jose's 5-hole is bigger than Jenna Jamison's

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 16, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The penalty on Semin actually wasn't deserved for a change.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
I think Semin's penalty was a bad call, but the others were good.

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Is there some NHL rule that says that the Caps have to be behind by 2 goals every game or something? All the penalties because someone just screwed up on Monday?

Jose you have me very nervous.

Please let someone be on our side in the second.

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

For those of you listening with the volume up, Craig seems to think the second was deflected. I don't see deflection. Does anyone else? Otherwise, he just dropped it, which, needless to say, very bad.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 16, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see one either, OTH. Yeah, it doesn't seem to be going well for Jose.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

alright im officially done being patient with jose lets get rid of this jerk and trade for some better goaltending like budaj, or thibault, or maybe denis....JOSE SUCKS!!!!!

Posted by: mike d | October 16, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok, always playing short against the pens will not win us too many games but Jose's first goal is becoming all to familiar to him.

This is the NHL, Not Here Long, and the $#!T does roll uphill. If this unreliability continues, give BJ a shot at #1.

Look at Chicago and the move they made. Hopefully GMGM learns from them and does not wait too long like he is painfully known for.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 16, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

ARGH! SLASHING??! That was NOT SLASHING!

The hooking call was a good call, but I didn't see the replay on the last penalty right up against the end of the frame.

Maybe they'll replay it after intermission.

GRR!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 16, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

okay everyone on board with THE CHEESE. If you're not you don't know jack. In order to take it to the next level we have to (1) Get ride of softy Kozlov (2) Get rid of JT -- may the guy sucks and (3) find a rugged RW goal scorer.

Boy George did you panic getting JT or what? What the fook were you thniking? It must have been the Olie in the head nightmares. Might as well not even play a goalie. Gosh darn George THE ZOO is going to get all over you soon!

Now The Cheese predicted 4 goals. I might have been off by a couple but boy you have to admit me me spot on.

JT is one big whole of a CHEESE!!! SWISS that is --

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

yes there was a deflection, other wise I'd be all over Greg S. boy

Posted by: Dave King | October 16, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

of all teams can we not wake up and play against this one? my god heres a part of caps season i didnt miss

Posted by: mike d | October 16, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Is that two hooking calls on Morrisson in the first? Looks to me like somebody just doesn't feel like skating tonight.

That slashing call on Semin was complete bull though.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 16, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah my people are arriving big and tall Sally!

Cheers to Oneal and Mike d!!!

Damn I knew it was going to be bad when my Dominos pizza arrived 45 minutes late and the dog crapped in the kitchen (may have something do with spending too much time communicating with the trolls). Dominos are also looking for funding if anyone cares.

SWISS CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Jose has a bigger 5-hole than Freddie Mercury.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 16, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Oneal:

You made me choke on my whiskey.

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

JT's SWISS CHEESE FACTORY can't stop any shots, you name them deflections, over the head, over the shoulder, at his pecky, next to his skate...

Number 3 arrives this period. Once in a blue moon I'm a little off but I got this feeling.

SWISS CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

4shots in 20 minutes
o for 2 on the pk
forwards have 4 hits ov has 2 of them
a bench minor???
what a start

Posted by: wendel | October 16, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

HERE COMES 3 JT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: THE SWISS CHEESE FACTORY | October 16, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

New GM: Denis Savard. I hear he's availably suddenly.

Totally jobbed on the delay call

Posted by: old time hockey | October 16, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

can these goals be more unlucky???? darn it

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Note to the ZOO:

All is not well in Cap land. I'm telling you we got a big problem. It is JT's Swiss Cheese Factory.

How are we going to get George's attention to address the situation?

I just farted from eating some much SWISS CHEESE!

Posted by: JT's SWISS CHEESE FACTORY | October 16, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

My DH just gave up on this game and descended into his man cave ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Finally a goal!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

If I didn't have homework to be doing instead of watching this, catastrophe, I'd be giving up too.
Nice job, Flash!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

GOALLLLL!

Good Guys!!1

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | October 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

FINALLY

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Flash!

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dave King | October 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Good for Brads NBD, he's fine

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | October 16, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

...and a broken nose. Great.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 16, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Matt is that a minor flesh wound? Way to go Matt!

Posted by: Dr. Pain | October 16, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes Flash!

The Oct 13th SI NHL review has Flash as the player "On The Verge". Hopefully it has some weight.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 16, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Bradley has heart but....

This is why we need Brashear.

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Man, that guy looks bigger than 6'2"/211.

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

You said it, brother.

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

6'2"?!? If that guy's 6'2", I'm Jeff Schultz.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree, we're missing Brash tonight. That slash on Ovi earlier doesn't happen with him in the lineup. And if it does, he makes them pay for it.

Posted by: Murshawursha | October 16, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

@JMU --- if youre Schultz THEN HIT SOMEBODY DAMN IT.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 16, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Poti hasn't taken a shift since 5 minutes left in the first...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

the Pens have had girlie luck... one more goals and we're back in the game.

LETS GO CAPS

Here's one to Ovie spreading Malkin all over the ice

LETS FRIGGIN GO CAPS!!

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

@Mike D,

Is Budaj realistically available?

What about Valiquette in NYR? I think he could be a #1 if given the chance.

Way to go Brads! Just like him to try and light a fire. I know it looked like he got feed but we all know he's fine.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 16, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

stupid zebras

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Does every fan of every NHL team feel like the refs are against their team more often than not? Or is it just me? Or just the Caps? I don't get it ...

I can't believe that they boo Ovie ... whatever.

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

PP is anemic.

Horrible reffing.

Caps looked good first 10 minutes of the game and then the first Pens goal to the wind out of them.

Theodore has been letting the moths into his equipment bag again.

Posted by: nadir | October 16, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Who did Feds replace on the blue line?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 16, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Mike D & BernieWolfFan:

We do NOT want Budaj. I watched him for too long in Hershey when he was an Avs prospect. If you look up inconsistant in the dictionary you'll see Budaj's picture.

Posted by: tess | October 16, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Semin and Crosby fighting. A girl can dream can't she?

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@Nadir

I think we're still in this game. The Pens scored on PP and lucky rebounds. And most importantly: we're playing like we mean it. One more goal and the Pens will feel it.

COME OOOOOONNNNN BOYS!

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Tess,
Ok, I guess I saw Budaj just on his good nights. Anyway, does anyone know more about Valiquette?

Dang, these PPs are killing us. We can't get anything going!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 16, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Kim
Are you dreaming that Semin takes Crosby's head off?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Um, how much do the refs have on the Penguins?

Posted by: this space or rent | October 16, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

That commercial could have been funny.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Their life savings??

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@mauree

I agree. There is a lot of time. It is a lot of fun watching the Ovechkin vs Malkin match-up.

Just sitting here wishing that the Caps would have brought that kid up from Hershey that threw the hammer hands in preseason with Brashear out.

Posted by: nadir | October 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Next period the 4th goal will arrive and me me be spot on -- uncanny isn't it.

Before you turn out the lights tonight check out NC State and Devil Rays.

SWISS CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Posted by: JT's Swiss Cheese Factory | October 16, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

JMU, I am not sure why the sight of Semin and Crosby scuffling made me laugh. Just about the two most unlikely guys (except of course if Kozlov or Schultz were in the mix). Kudos to Semin though for trying.

Just wish he would score. You know.. First they call stupid penalty on me. Then I get hit by Shrek, then I score three goals...

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Kim,
Same un-nameable reason it made me laugh. lol. Nice commercial. If it happens, they should make it. Exactly like that. Including the Shrek line. :-D

Let's go Caps!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

seriously do cap fans boo when Crosby gets the puck? so thats why pens fans boo Ovechkin. The Penguins where screwed on calls also. Bradly got beat up by an AHLer. 20-9 shots in favor of Penguins that is a good reason why the caps are losing

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

We are beaten and beaten up. Wake up, Caps!

Let's go and take their heads off.

We are bigger stronger and better.

Posted by: Dave King | October 16, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Best line of the night. When I was joking about what Semin and Crosby fighting would look like, my nine year old daughter said

"Mom, you look like a Spirit Girl." Then my husband got this dreamy look in his eye.

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

yeah i was being sarcastic with my budaj post ...although the more i think about it, he sucks just as much but he costs less!

Posted by: mike d | October 16, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

We need to stop making Vancouver feel better! Seriously, 9 shots through two??? Ovie should have double that already.

I really hope MAF puts one in his own net to even out the JT effect.

So what happened to Poti? And, does Nylander's shoulder hurt again or is he just in slow motion to annoy me?

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

@Kim

hehe should you expect some kind of an outfit for next birthday/anniversary? :D

I'm watching the game (not by choice) on a Pens commentary. Oh, so painful. They're thrashing Ovie and saying his behavior is inadmissible - that his on some kind of personal vendetta and he's dangerous and should be stopped.

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Malkin is a dirty some of a b$#@. No me gusta guys who try to injure players. First the slew foot on Ovie then the ridiculous boarding on Semin...I hope he gets his

Posted by: Robb | October 16, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Stop with the "Refs suck" baloney. We have not been good on special teams, and we have not won a key face-off. We've started to get cute with the puck, no doubt reading our over inflated press clippings (we beat the 'nucks and the 'hawks for Chrissakes). we have great players. We need to start playing as a team. (oh, and forgive the use of the word "we"). C'mon Caps

Posted by: Pivonka | October 16, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Sub consious flaw...I can't spell son since Malkin can't be anyone's!

Posted by: Robb | October 16, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Ovie did actually come pretty close to getting a knee in Malkin's head. He does need to be careful. Wonder what expression Malkin would have after that? I mean he does have that I was hit in the head a lot look.

Okay, that was just mean. We really better score some goals in the third.

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

God I wish Chara was a Caps, he would make another cutlet of Gill

Posted by: Dave King | October 16, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he's on a personal vendetta against whining. He's dangerous to goalies. And good luck.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

yeah im on a pens broadcast too...they keep calling him tommy fleischmann...i miss joe b and locker

Posted by: mike d | October 16, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh announcers are among the worst I've ever heard. I'm watching this one on ComcastDC but I occasionally watch FoxPitt and I can hardly stand it. Morons!

Posted by: tess | October 16, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Two players that stand up tonight for Caps:

Ovechkin and Fedorov

Posted by: Dave King | October 16, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

pass that beer mike d, another 20 minutes of these two jokers

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Mike D,

Sure, the Budaj post did have me stop my Bud Light mid-swig. I'm just hoping GMGM does not wait too long like he is famous for if Jose does not turn it around soon.

What about Khabibulin Caps Fans? Would he be salary cap prohibitive? Last time I checked, we've done pretty well with Russians here in DC.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 16, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

GGOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 16, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Okay Kim, he only needs two more!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

YEAH BABY!!!

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Bob Errey on Pittsburgh TV still cant believe how fast Semin's flatfooted wrister flew over MAF...neither can I.

Posted by: Pivonka | October 16, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Someone needs to take Crosby's head off the next time he cuts across the ice like that

Posted by: Chris A | October 16, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

HELL YEAH

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 16, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOO!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Can you say COMEBACK?! Go Caps!

Posted by: tess | October 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted by: Pivo | October 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah baby!!! Way to boys!! Sha-weeet!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | October 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Flash is really picking up his game.

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Boy, we should be used to this by now, huh? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

We rule, Pens have to be annihilated on the way to the SC

Posted by: Dave King | October 16, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Semin is my muse.

And I am not annoyed with Nylander anymore.

Flash ate his Wheaties this morning!

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Cardiac Caps anyone??

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

(delayed cause of this stuod connection)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping that the boys were in Fleury's head, but he has had some nice saves ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

*stuod = stupid

What a game!!

I'm psyched about Saturday O.O

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Caps have caught up on the shots on goal total too...23 each side.

Posted by: tess | October 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

This 3rd period is pretty much entirely highlight reel.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 16, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Nyls has been playing great this season - glad he's back. Flash is determined to make me eat my words ... he keeps playing like he has been and I will gladly do so! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave King | October 16, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

GOAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Pivo | October 16, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

OMG GOAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Gordo!

Man my neighbors must hate me!

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh that's SUCH a goal!!

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! That looked painful.

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Pfew!

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | October 16, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Nice go, Green!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that I'd call the refs suck thing baloney. The slashing call that was the first PP -- I saw that and that was kind of a BS call. I saw the exact same thing done to Ovechkin later in the period and it did not get called, plus a tripping call on another Cap that did not get called. The boarding on Semin should have been a double minor IMO. While everything you said about the Caps problems are true, it is also true that we desperately need Brashear on the ice, because the Pens are getting away with a lot of BS out there that the refs aren't calling them on.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 16, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

sweet hip check

Posted by: MNMNT | October 16, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

caps game link

Posted by: Moose33 | October 16, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Come on Jose! Can't believe that Ovie iced it NOW ... :-/

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

HA HA!!!

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm at a loss for words; what can I say? Utterly unbelievable third period. As Joe Beninati would say... SIMPLY SENSATIONAL!!!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 16, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Hell yes.

Posted by: markfromparkville | October 16, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Woooooohoooo!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Where is our Swiss friend?

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

2 points on the road.... after being down 3-0, thats the kind of win that builds character

Posted by: DonCosmic | October 16, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

SWEET!!!!

Posted by: tess | October 16, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Great comeback!!!

Posted by: Joe B | October 16, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Awful Quiet in the Igloow all of a sudden

Posted by: Rich C | October 16, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

OVECHKIN IS GARBAGE I can not wait for someone to break his neck for taking head shots the new Philadelphia Capitals. woohoo the caps beat a team that does not have there defense of players.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

HOLY CRAP

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 16, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Just a huge win. No other word for it. Remember this win in March.

Posted by: JT | October 16, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

GUTS!!!!!
GUTS!!!!!

All the guys some of us here loved to hate won this game for us....

Flash!
Nylander!
Semin!
Green!
Fehr!
Gordon! (Im guilty here)

GUTS!!!!!

Im way too jacked to continue in here...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think Swissy has gone anon ...

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Honestly the goals by the Pens were lucky bounces.

This team is matured - last year we'd probably lost this one.

Now... on to thrash-talking e-mails to my pens fan colleague....

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGON FLYERS

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

what happened at the very end i was too busy jumping up and down

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 16, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey No guts Anonymous...don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Posted by: Robb | October 16, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

GUTS!!!!

was me....

Posted by: JSchon | October 16, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Swissy has gone anon AND cannot spell Washington (or cannot or their or defensive ...).

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

FYI: Bears at Philadelphia Friday at 7:00. Audio broadcast available at www.sportsjuice.com

Posted by: tess | October 16, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Poti??? Tarik.... find out about Poti

Posted by: sean | October 16, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Great win!

Boudreau must have told them not to let anyone shoot on Theodore anymore because he's got such a big 5-hole.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 16, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

JSchon:
Not you, the other anon! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

cindy crysby has a -4

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

WOO HOO!!! Semin is on fire this year!

Did it look like Ovy was having issues with his hardware today? He just looked like that stick wasn't working for him.

What an awesome game!

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | October 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

i did not see poti get hurt, is it possible a trade is in the works?

Posted by: jay | October 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Cindy gets 2 assists...

and a whopping minus 4 for the evening!!!

Posted by: Rob Iola | October 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

October 12, 2008 | 11:32am ET
Capitals looking to shed salary?
TheFourthPeriod.com

The Washington Capitals are sitting dangerously close to the $56.7 million salary cap, which has prompted speculation that the team is looking to make a trade.
According to the Ottawa Sun, Capitals GM George McPhee is trying to make moves in an attempt to shed some salary.

The Sun claims the Capitals are shopping center Michael Nylander, who is making $5.5 million this year.

However, Nylander has a no-trade clause and told reporters at the start of training camp that he has zero intentions of waiving it and accept a move.

The Capitals could try to move Viktor Kozlov and his $2.5 million salary, or defenseman Tom Poti ($3.5 million).

Posted by: Boo! | October 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else want to see more of the Semin-Nyles-Flash line? They were tearing it up all night, even in the first when everyone else was looking suspect they had several good opportunities

Posted by: DonCosmic | October 16, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Feds needs to be a permanent blue line fixture. I don't care who sits or who gets his spot, we seem to do better with him there. Awful start with a great comeback! Let's go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 16, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Guts ... and a change in defense. I really, really think we desperately need Fedorov on the blueline. That move, once the Caps adjusted to it, turned the whole game around, IMO.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 16, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Poti's out. Time to bring up King Karl.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 16, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Crosby 2 points Malkin 2 points umm how many for crybaby Ovechkin ohh that is right 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 It is better when the pens win in Washington because then i am there to see it and rub it in.....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

@ Space for Rent

Dont get me wrong. The refs called a poor game, but it was not why we were getting pummelled. We were much better face-off-wise in the 3rd, and controlled the puck in their zone for minutes....

OV willed the team to win today. Flash, Semin, Nyls, and Gordo got the stats, but OV picked up for Brash's absence, put every Penguin's head on a swivel, and gets the W....

Posted by: Pivonka | October 16, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Anybody figure out what happened to Poti? He must have been hurt to only get 5 minutes of ice time.

Posted by: stabBing Crosby | October 16, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

poti vs karl is that a savings of about 2 mil?

Posted by: jay | October 16, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Stupid smile will not leave my face for a while. You will see it Saturday. I am so happy! Beside myself happy!

Let's Go Caps!

They showed so much heart tonight. Never Give Up.

Who got the hard hat? Gordon? Bradley? Semin?

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

With Feds on D we are:

5-1 (Philly)
5-1 (Canucks)
4-0 (Pens, after a 0-3)

I want also to cheer for Theo... first goal was a softie, but the other two were unlucky bounces... after that he made good saves and allowed us the come-back. I think the team is comfy with him in the net.

Anyway.... WHAT A GAME!!!!

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

YES! YES!YES!YES! GOT'em! :)

I wasn't able to watch the 3rd frame, to my chagrin, but I'm glad to see we pulled this one out.

That boarding call on Malkin should damnwell have been a five minute major. Even the folks on Comcast Sportsnet said so. And they also said - and I agree - that Semin's slashing penalty was weak.

Yes, we could have done things better... but a sloppy win is still a win!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Toooooo jacked up....

Fedorov needs to be a permanent fixture on the blueline...

Its not coincidence that we played so much better in the 3rd when he was forced to play defense....

Posted by: JSchon | October 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd give the hard hat to Brads for coming back after getting stitched. Although there a half a dozen other good candidates for it...

Posted by: tess | October 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough, Pivonka. I still think there's a couple of power plays we should have gotten and didn't, but I didn't get to see the third frame due to RL schedule.

Man ... you /cannot/ give up on the Caps on the ice. Ever. This team has so much heart and so much guts - Ovi didn't score because he had to take Brashear's role. I was wrong -- I thought we could win but was preparing for us to lose (and don't have cable at home). And they proved me wrong. You can't ever give up on these guys. Don't stop believin'.

Honestly, I think Ovi deserves the hard hat. He made the difference, even though he didn't score. He was everywhere, all over the ice, and I'd bet just about every Penguin in the lineup had an up close and personal with him at some point during the game.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 16, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

love it when they call OV a crybaby. A crybaby wilts and goes away. he ducks when his adversary approaches him near the boards (ahem Geno and Cindy).

Dont like him. Fine with me. A crybaby? Nope.

Go away trolls. Direct your hate where it belongs (your rudderless team). Maybe Mario will buy Cindy a happy meal on their way home tonight.

Posted by: Pivonka | October 16, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I find it hard to believe that they would let Poti go, even with his high cap figure. He's the best defenseman on the team. And he's a proven vet. Unless they're going to pick up a stud goalie in a trade (very unlikely), I don't think it makes sense to shop him at all.

Posted by: stabBing Crosby | October 16, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

They were down 0-3 and never let up. The Pens looked lost in the 3rd Period.

How wonderfully cathartic.

What was Crosby doing hunched over on the bench?

Were those tears.....?

Posted by: 2alexesFan | October 16, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

And ... what happened to Poti tonight?

Posted by: this space for rent | October 16, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

no no tears, another body fluid

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm soooooooo glad I'm not a pitiful little troll with nothing better to do than to post minor annoyances on opponent's boards only to watch my team get out-classed by a Caps team that plays hard for a full 60 minutes.

Nice touch Gordo.

Posted by: grackle | October 16, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Michel Therien just walked (stormed?) off the podium after sarcastically answering a reporter's question about the Pens' 3rd period "shell" and mumbling something about not remembering losing a game after leading by so much in the 3rd. Pretty cool to watch....

Posted by: Pivonka | October 16, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

What a game...

Pens had all the momentum... Ovie was a leader out there, he was everywhere, hitting and on Malkin's face when he boarded Semin.

The Caps never gave up... goals by goals... the Pens still don't know what hit them...

What a game....

They just showed Therrien here... he's PISSED :D....

THANKS CAPS
Thanks for an unbelievable, inspiring, incredible game.

Posted by: mauree | October 16, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

New Hockey Heuristic(that means a rule of thumb for the non geeks) DO NOT piss off a Russian hockey player wearing a red jersey - you will lose whatever lead you had.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Once again, you said it brother.

Posted by: uncatim | October 16, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

lizy msut of ben aun teh ieice tuenite, babby, bekkuz taht gaimb wuz TIST¡¡¡ ;D

Posted by: Kurrt | October 16, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Shaky start for Theo, but he calmed down. Johhny and Theo just need to give us enough to get the offense through. Some good saves down after the 1st. A few unlucky bounces on the PP, but we made up for it.

Nice to see some of the hard working guys get some goals, and for Fehr to get some points in his season debut. Nice big hits by OV and Green.

Great comeback! WOOOHOOO!

Posted by: AM Capsfan | October 16, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I think the Caps played hard for a full 20 minutes. And it was enough. They're good this year.

Also, I'd rather have my team get a win, than have my two est players get two points each.

And all this "Caps play dirty" crap? Who boarded who? Malkin looked up, slowed down for a split second, and then plowed into Semin. What about Crosby bonking Semin on the nose when they were in a scrum? What about Hal Gill's elbows hitting Fleischmann in the face?

Frankly, as long as we find out Poti wasn't injured on a dirty play, I don't care. That was physical, hard fought hockey. And the Pens lost. Sorry, trolls.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | October 16, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@mike d, 8:19PM.

If George REALLY wants to screw the team, he'll pick up Denis. Nice guy but he was just plain awful when he backstopped for Tampa.

Posted by: Pete | October 17, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse