Brashear 'Questionable at Best'

The morning skate just started here at Wachovia Center, but Donald Brashear is not on the ice. He's pedaling a bike in the dressing room and is "questionable, at best" for tonight's game against the Flyers, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau.

Brashear suffered a sprained knee when he fell awkwardly after being dropped by Wade Belak on Tuesday.

Also, Matt Bradley, who was also injured during a fight in Nashville, is wearing a visor, which is covering a black eye and gash on his nose.

If Brashear cannot play, Boudreau will insert Michael Nylander into the lineup. Nylander, though, doesn't add to overall team toughness, which could be an issue against a Flyers' team that has four players with a 119 penalty minutes or more (Scott Hartnell, Daniel Carcillo, Riley Cote and Arron Asham.)

I'll have a little more from the morning skate in a bit.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 12, 2009; 11:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List
Next: Morning Skate Update: Brashear's Knee 'Not Good'

Comments

from last thread:

They mentioned on the Caps / Preds broadcast the other night that Ovi may have beeen using either a new stick or a new stick / blade set-up because he misfired on so many shots and passes. They said that somone (Carter?...I can't remember) was given a penalty for an illegal stick the night before and Ovi may have responded by changing sticks if his were close to the edge. I know at the All-Star game there was some good-natured ribbing about the curve on AO8's stick. Any thought on that effect if it's true?

He didn't seem off, speedwise or positioning the other night, but his shots were a bit helter-skelter.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Does Hartnell add toughness or dirtiness? Big difference.

Posted by: goskinsgo | March 12, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@goskinsgo

he adds bad hair product.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Great. Caps are gonna get man handled again.

Posted by: R617 | March 12, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

missing or adding 1 player won't change this team's overall toughness.That is the major ingredient missing from the Caps....maybe this will be awake up to the fact that this game needs to be played with grit and a willingness to step it up
rather than worh on the Euro float pattern. We cant leave the toughness to 1 or 2 guys everyone has to such it up if we want to be successful

Posted by: wendel2 | March 12, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Let's just Hartnell (ie Carrot Top) doesn't try to throw his gloves at anyone tonight.

Let's Go Caps! Let's stick it to Philthy a home tonight

Posted by: tURBO8 | March 12, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

can't we call up some grit instead of Nylander playing ballerina in a grudge match?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Man, there are a lot of good games tonight!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

You beat teams like this by being disciplined and not retaliating for the goon stuff. The Caps are big and can handle themselves in a clean physical game. They have to capitalize on the power play and not turn the puck over, and they should out score them. I am assuming they will get adequate goaltending though. That is a crap shoot.

Posted by: OldFan | March 12, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The Caps are never going to be a physical team with the system that's in place. I think they can hold their own when needed but it's not their strength. I don't think we need three or four glove droppers to win - no room on the roster for those types. The Caps are finesse and will have to impose that style to win.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Nylander is as tough as nails.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 12, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

wendel, good point since no team wins the stanley cup with a bunch of euro's. well, not since last year i suppose...

don't equate fighting with toughness. we've got guys like brooks and gordon who add grit and toughness. i would like to see fehr and steckel step up in that department too. we know ovie is tough as they come. mo showed some last game as well. so erskine, brads, brooks, ovie, gordon and brash. thats six guys i can think of. maybe mo. clark fits the bill when/if he comes back.

i agree though, its not enough to be tough, you have to be ready to play tough from the start. something they learned from the flyers in last years playoffs.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 12, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

On a serious note...

I am sure that refs will know we wont be looking to drop the gloves. We have to be smart, and draw them into penalties.

They can punk us all day, but if they are shorthanded all night, it will work out.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 12, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SombreroGuy | March 12, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

It's been more than 15 years since Fedorov scored in Philadelphia (36-19-10) -- he's only played there six times since that goal -- and an injury kept him out of the Capitals' lone visit this season as they lost 7-1 on Dec. 20. The margin of defeat was Washington's largest since losing by the same score to Toronto on Nov. 24, 2006.

However, the Capitals have reeled off four consecutive road victories, matching their best such streak from last season. They haven't had a longer one since winning five straight road games from Feb. 14-March 6, 2001.

Philadelphia is 10-4-1 in the past five weeks. Four of those defeats have come at home, but the Flyers have won at the Wachovia Center in their last two games.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"I think we should have a Nylader Flash Semin line, and call it the "Death Squad."

LOL
Well played Sir!

Posted by: pmoravek | March 12, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

By the saber Poisson table for tonight's game:

Caps .465
Flyers .535

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Lol!

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 12, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Believe me when I tell you that I dislike Hartnell almost as bad as I hated Hextall. I was ragging on him about his hair, then I found out he is growing his hair throughout the season and will shave it off to donate to that cancer program, "something" locks, you know, they make real hair wigs for cancer patients that have lost their hair due to chemo. Still don't like Hartnell, but I don't rag on his doo so much now.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 12, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

well crap fanohock1, way to make me feel like an a-hole haha.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | March 12, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow…after missing all of those reunions who would have thought we could reconnect online. Great to see you still playing music!

Many citizens of Red Sox Nation believe that the road to their 2004 World Seris Championship started when Yankee Alex Rodríguez and Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek initiate a bench clearing brawl midway through the season. The Sox dug deep in that game and came back to beat the Yankees by scoring against their ace Marino Rivera.

The Caps gritty win in Nashville over a red hot Predator goaltender started with Brashear and Bradley standing up to their foes…sound familiar?

Posted by: ken_nickell | March 12, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Ok. I don't like Hartnell but his hair is good. Am I forgiven? Hair is inanimate, he's a jerk...on the ice.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

The Flyers will be buzzing, pushing and running their way around our net for the first 5-7 minutes. We have to sustain their pressure and go into the dressing room either tied or up by a goal if we want to win this game. It could get ugly really quick if JT60 gives up a couple of softies early.

Posted by: diner99 | March 12, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@ken,

It's a reach - Red Sox v. Yankees and Caps v. Preds - but I could make something of it. I think it would be more apropos if the Caps, banged up and bloody, can go into Wachovia and shut up the Philly fans. We should talk more about it tomorrow morning.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I dislike Hartnell too with a passion, but I would take him on our team in a heartbeat! He is exactly the kind of player we need. Bring Dale or Dino out of retirement?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping we could pick Hartnell up at the deadline. He's a Cap killer and would have added great grit and toughness. Then he and Backs could compete hair-to-hair.

Posted by: theshawn | March 12, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I have a vision of myself watching tonight's game through my fingers, like a little kid watching a horror movie. Hopefully the Caps will surprise me and it won't be nearly as ugly as I expect, but right now I'm pretty nervous.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 12, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Flyers.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 12, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@diner 99

One thing about the Flyers buzzing early...

In every game, didnt we come out buzzing?

Even the 7-2 loss, we destroyed them in the first period..set records in shots on goal.

The 2nd was pretty tight, and the 3rd game, we seem to have momentum early, but couldnt put them away and everything shifted once they tied it up.

I would think they Flyers are the ones that want to sustain the first period, if history has anything to do with it.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 12, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

all is well, we still have the lumberjack

Posted by: _stevo | March 12, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

can we sign chuck norris for this game?

Posted by: _stevo | March 12, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't take my input about his hair donation the wrong way. I still hate the guy, no need to feel bad, he's a chippy player that finds the net more than you'd think he would. I'm glad Briere is back, I think he's a distraction for those guys. Hopefully I don't have to regret I said I'm happy he's back. As long as we don't leave him alone on the back door we should be able to neutralize him. More worried about Carter, Gagne, Giroux, and Hartnell on the Flyers PP.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 12, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 11:42 AM

apparently not. The Caps just don't seem to "get it".

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 12, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Spezza got the stick penalty earlier this week. I thought that was a pretty bogus call and how did the coach even know that it was going to be a penalty? It was during the game! I guess I don't want guys playing with illegal equipment but it seemed like a stall measure. And the teams are even out of contention!

Posted by: mikesfan | March 12, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 11:46 AM

and when you see the flyers roster with Hartnell, Richards, Asham, Powe, Cote, Carcillo and thats just the forwards. We don't come within sniffing distance of that kind of grit. And they're not just goons, most of those players get PP and PK time also.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 12, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Lol...wow we act like we are scared of this team on this blog...Ph em all Philthy losers. Guess it speaks loudly about how much we think we are a whimpy playoff team.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Seems as if the Caps have had a number of dominating periods against teams this year, only to end the period with only 1 or fewer goals to show for it. Either they are very unlucky running against hot goalies, or they are missing their shots - making the goalies look better than they are. I agree with OldFan earlier - if they play good, hard, clean hockey they could potentially frustrate a team like the Flyers by not letting them get under their skin.

Posted by: theshawn | March 12, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

We are better than the Flyers.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 12, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The Flyers are seriously the dumbest show on ice.

They could be so good if they had half a brain.

If you want to do a case study on the failed education system in the U.S, look no further then the Wachovia center on gamedays.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 12, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

we don't need to punch everyone, just finish our checks and maybe this time finish some of those short handed breakaways.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | March 12, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

it was good to see asham get his a** handed to him in the fight on tuesday, it was one of the best fights of the year

Posted by: _stevo | March 12, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@theshawn

IMO we got a lot of shots but no traffic in front...NHL goalies will save most of the pucks they can see or pick up quickly. Laich seems to be the only one willing to take that abuse.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 12:26 PM

Personally, I *am* scared of the Flyers! Hopefully the Caps themselves aren't. But I think we've got a legitimate shot in the playoffs against anyone else, including the Devils with Brodeur. There's something about the Flyers' style that just makes them very tough for us to beat.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 12, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Even with Brashear, the Caps don't come close to the Flyers' toughness. It is a major flaw in the construction of the team.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 12, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Not scared of the Flyers at all but like capfan26 says, they have our number right now and I agree they'd be our toughest matchup in the playoffs. I want them in the playoffs and I want to win tonight. I think they're two different types of teams and whichever managers to control the style and type of game, will win. There's a big difference better being scared of a team and knowing what problems they present.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Ref: saintex

Ovi has had stick issues all year -- if it's not breaking he's whiffing --- scary how many more points he could have with a good wooden stick instead of the crappy sticks they make now

Posted by: capsgary | March 12, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone going to game tonight? I will be there. GO CAPS!

Posted by: HBFan | March 12, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

after watching the Sabres flyers game the other night it is scary what the Flyers get away with -- maybe it is just me but the Caps get some chincy calls against us--- Semin has gotten raped a few times in the past 3 or 4 games and no penalty -- lucky for us he hasn't retaliated the way he did in the middle of the season with penalties

Posted by: capsgary | March 12, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@pogues,

I take it your hitting one of the shows next week? Anyway, if we're talking about meeting in a dark alley and getting in a fight, that would be one thing. It's a hockey game and I think the Caps hold their own in the "toughness" or "grit" department. The names have already been listed. All the grit and tough that's been talked about are most enforcers and some players lacking in skill - barring Hartnell - so I can take them or leave them. Let's just say that the Caps acquired a really good defensive defenseman that locked down the opposition at the blue line...but it wasn't a thug-type of player. Would this still be an issue? I doubt it.

I'll take the group we've got.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@HBFan: be careful! Please post on here afterward to let us know you survived.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 12, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@capsgary,

I know his sticks shatter like glass but the other night, in particular, they weren't breaking; the shots and passes didn't come off at all on target. I don't know the physic of the curves aside from lift (right?) so I was just wondering...

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW, I RESERVED SOME TABLES AT MR. DAYS IN CLARENDON TONIGHT FOR THE CAPS GAME IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO COME OUT. THEY HAVE DRINK SPECIALS AND ITS A PRETTY GOOD CROWD SO COME ON OUT AND ROCK THE WHITE!!!!!

Posted by: numero94 | March 12, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

It's a question of which team will control the pace/style of the game. The Flyers are better at a hectic, rough, penalty-filled game. The Caps are better at an aggressive skill-driven game. They have to avoid getting caught up in trying to prove their toughness to the Flyers..

Take some cheapshots, win the game.

Posted by: VladG | March 12, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

So Brash might not play...that was to be expected...we'll miss him pounding on Cote again but oh well. Who cares if they have a bunch of guys with a lot of PIMs....it shows the Flyers are undisciplined...if they try the rough stuff, the Caps need to stay focused then hurt them on the PP.

The fear of the Flyers I've seen from way too many Caps fans is so irrational...they're 8-6 vs us the last two seasons including the playoff, but that's not invincible...almost all those games have been really close. And the Flyers, despite how awesome they are, have somehow managed to lose 29 games this year....if the Caps play the way they did vs Nashville we'll be fine.

Posted by: jollyroger2 | March 12, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@dcsports fan
You almost got it....there are tough euros
unfortunately most of ours aren't... there are soft North Americans and some of our are.... soft teams dont survive the SC playoffs....its just too gruelling

Posted by: wendel2 | March 12, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

capsgary: I watched the Sabres/Flyers on my before the Caps game, and then in between periods. I don't know if I'd call what they get away with for infractions scary, but it definitely ticks me off when I see the Caps get the tic tac calls and other teams get away with the same. For example Carter was killing a powerplay and when Rivet was carrying the puck out of the zone Carter got away 4 consective slashes. Not just tap slashes, you could hear his stick hitting Rivet on every swing. NO CALL! If that is par for the course, no wonder they have so many darn shorthanded goals.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 12, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Detroit won the Cup with European style of play, but they also have a lot of veteran grit. It helps to have a Norris trophy winner on the blueline...we are definetly not built the same way.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@jolly,

I thin the Flyers v Caps matchup issues have nothing to do with toughness but more to do with their team speed and game plan - they match up well against us with excellent speed and a very good first line. That's it, that's all. Their record this season, or against us, isn't always in indication. Apparently, Columbus matches up well against us also, but for different reasons.

It'll be a great game. No fear. Just a great game.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"Apparently, Columbus matches up well against us also, but for different reasons."

That's two games. We've played the Flyers fourteen times in (almost) two regu. seasons and a 7-game playoff. And aside from the 7-1 game, the games are always pretty close and the record could easily be 8-6 in our favor. But sometimes listening to people it sounds like they've beaten us ten straight or something...and that's not the case.

They have a good first line, depth and balanced scoring. But they also have weaknesses...I'm going to say 4-2 Caps tonight...if they play hard like the other night.

Posted by: jollyroger2 | March 12, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Before the pc there were Remington typewriters.
The best war stories from Viet Nam came from the Remington Raiders, they were always the tough guys who never saw action - there is some parallelism between them and some of the bloggers here.

Posted by: opita1 | March 12, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@jolly,

I'll go with 4-2...that would be excellent. The record could be 8-6 in our favor but unfortunately it's not. I think the playoffs hold a ton of pain, regardless of it going to OT in 7. This season we've beaten them in a shootout and that's it. Like Parcells says, you are what your record says and I would guess that our record vs. the Flyers since BB took over is the worst of all Eastern Conference teams. I guess this is a debate like Brooks saying they were in Boston's head prior to the last game and everything saying it was rubbish. When you've only won one of the last four outings vs. another team it doesn't matter how close it was...it hurts. I think the the Bruins, for this season, would admit as much if they were given a truth serum.

I happen to think we'll win tonight.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

OH KNOW.
WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITHOUT 8 MINUTE LOGGING BRASH?!?!?!?!?!?

WE ARE TOO SOFT OSFTIE>

Posted by: richmondphil | March 12, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I was trying to think of a equivalent of my take on Flyers v. Caps and suddenly I remember Nebraska v. Oklahoma from about 1972 - 1982. I think Switzer won 8 of those games, including six in a row, but they were all very close and both teams were at the tops of their games and the rankings. I didn't find any consolation as a kid in thinking that we trailed in the series but at least it was always 17-14 when we lost. Best I can do...

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

LOL...I will be wearing my Green Jersey, so my survival rate is low. But its worth it, the Caps better win, I am risking my life here.

Posted by: HBFan | March 12, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 12:56 PM

@lylewimbledon
The Red Wings are considered too soft, right now, including Lidstrom, by Don Cherry. Their gritty veterans are what...Cleary, Holmstrom, McCarthy, Draper? By the way, we have a Norris Trophy candidate right now in Green.

Washington Capitals, Mike Green
Year to Date: 47 GP, 22 Goals, 52 Points, +26

If there is anyone in the league that has a chance to dethrone Lidstrom this year, it has to be Washington's Mike Green. Green has shown no signs of being a one-season wonder, following up a breakout season last year with a even better season. He broke the record for most consecutive games with at least one goal scored by a defenseman last week with 8 straight games with a goal, and leads all defenseman in the goals and points scored categories. While he's no Lidstrom on defenseman, Green gets the job done with a +26 rating and is 6th in the league in takeaways. Green has made his case this year, and is really the only challenger to Lidstrom.

They also did it with Osgood, so Theodore can take us too. Have a little faith folks. After the run the Caps had last season, and they way they have played this season, I believe this team is capable of anything. Right now the Caps have the first sub .500 stretch for a 10 game stretch at 4-5-1. That's still 9 points in 10 games. They played a HUNGRY team that had played well at home, was 15-0-1 when scoring first, and the Caps played a gritty, hard hitting game and came out with 2 points.

DC fans are certainly fickeled. They used to boo when the Caps lost, then when they began to win more, they would boo after a bad period. Now...some of you guys boo when thy mishandle one pass on the PP, even if they regain control. It is tough as a true Caps fan to sit and listen to bandwagon fans scrutinize every aspect of the game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 12, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

All the comments on the Caps lacking toughness are right on. Let's be realistic here. The make-up of this whole squad is finesse. Yes, they're big, that is "tall" big, certainly not "big, tough guys".
The Flyers, historically, have been a tough team that looks to intimidate the opposition and take them out of their "game". The Caps will shy away from the corners, will stop or slow down to avoid hits, and will certainly not "go to the net" to screen their goalie or pounce on rebounds. THEY, on the other hand, will have all day to screen our goalie with one, if not two, of their forwards. Guarantee that none of our defensemen will touch them...Theodore will be on his own. He'll have to shove them out of the crease himself.
Mad at these comments? Then you ought to be incensed at GMGM for not getting the players we need to make a sucessful run at the Cup.

Posted by: scmonty1 | March 12, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Out of all the players in the NHL, I can't stand Hartnell. The guy is a DICK. Dirty player and a diver. Carter and Richards, both very good hockey players. With that being said, if the CAPS can play solid "D" and stay out of the plenty box, CAPS 4 - Flyers 3.

Posted by: noreaster1 | March 12, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@monty,

Whatever, dude. I know the Flyers just reeled up five or six Cup winning banners from the last decade. Christ, they won two Cups 35 years ago (!!!) and they've been to one Cup final since the last Caps appearance - and it was eight years ago. It's like saying that Ohio St. is a great football team now because Woody Hayes won a title when Ford was President.

The Flyers have their style, we have ours. There's absolutely no way I'm worried about Backs, Fed, Laich, AO, Semin, Bradley, Fehr, Steckel, or Flash getting into the corners on the dump and getting the puck. What team are you watching? If you want to concern yourself with Schultz and his "softness" then say so. Won't dig in the corners? Right.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@Fanohock

Yes by grit I mean, Holmstrom, Draper, Cleary, McCarthy, Chelios, Franzen, Hudler, Maltby, Rafalski, Stuart...how many playoff games and Cups between them?

Mike Green is a wonderful offensive player, but his defensive play is lacking...those stats are deceiving because he is on the ice so much. He can be pretty terrible in his own zone reading coverages. If we are giving out the Norris for the best offensive blueliner than fine he should be in the running, but he is no where near Lidstrom - Chara in terms of defense. At least not this year...he needs to be more consistant in his own zone.

I have hope and faith, but IMO don't think we are built for the long, battling, bleeding, SC series that are the norm. I'd like to us grow some bigger balls is all.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 12, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

how do you "impose" a finesse style of play on a game??? In my book, a team with a couple of guys that can drop the gloves are in a better position to do this as opposed to a team that does not (Detroit aside).

Posted by: doughless | March 12, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@doughless,

Are you suggesting that the only way to win hockey games, series, or Stanley cups is to have players that drop the gloves more than other teams. I'll admit that I'm pretty new to hockey but that makes no sense whatsoever. If that were the case, the Flyers would have 10 Stanley Cups. The idea between two teams of differing styles - whatever styles they might be - is to force the other team to play to your strengths. So, if you trap you always trap and make the other team dump and chase. If you're a finesse team you skate, work hard, and stay out of the box. If your team is more physical than you try to play that game. The only way to impose a team's style of play is to force the other team to do it - if the other team won't participate, what do you do? Are the Flyers going to punch everyone in the face and go to the box for 20 penalties? Probably not. Are they going to hit? Yep. The Caps just have to refuse to play cheap ass hockey and force the Flyers to play a more open ice game. Whichever team is more sucessful will probably win.

Really? I think you believe that impose and physical are synonyms. Do you watch any other sports? Have you ever seen Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams play baskbetball? The Lakers forcing the pace? The Pistons playing lockdown D and getting physical? How about the Chargers throwing in the Fouts days? The Giants running the ball with Parcells? Maybe John Chaney's Temple basketball teams? Dean Smith's UNC squads running the backdoor? Stockton and Malone on the pick-and-roll? The Oklahoma wishbone? Need any more? Let me know, I got a million of them. Imposing your game plan is not directly related at all to your style of play.

Posted by: saintex | March 12, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

the phsical play we had against the Predators is just what the Dr. ordered 4 2nites game agaist Philly! not worried about toughness with r Boys, they are plenty tough and gritty,the game is not gonna be won by who drops the gloves, dont get me wrong, i love a good ole hockey fight! but we cant let them get under our skin, thats what they are famous 4, and anyway Erskine looked good against Belak, no worries buckle in its gonna be a dog-fight! LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TracyMD1 | March 12, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Philly will commence with the gooning. Early. It's obviously not a strong point of the Caps. Not they are not tough or hitters. But throwing hands is not their forte. Hope they keep cool and bury the Gooney Birds of Broad Street on the PP. They can win this game.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 12, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse