Brashear: Re-Signing With Caps Is 'First Choice'

Mike Wise got Donald Brashear on the phone earlier this evening and asked him more about the report in Russian newspaper Sport-Express, which said the Caps enforcer was flying to Russia next week to sign a KHL contract.

Brashear said a Russian team had contacted him because he acts as his own agent, but added: "I'm worried about getting on the ice again in the Stanley Cup playoffs and playing for my team. And then I would like to re-sign with the Capitals. That's my first choice of anything, but I'll worry about that at the end of the season."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 5, 2009; 8:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL Will Not Suspend Penguins' Kunitz
Next: Brian Engblom on WPL, Fan Photos

Comments

Whether you are a fan of Brash or not, it doesn't seem likely that they will have room for him next year.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | May 5, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Tarik in his online chat said a significant pay cut is expected for Brash. "He is not getting younger," he said.

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 5, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

It'll be sad to see Brash go if he does, especially after that article that was out a few days ago. I'm all for him staying, if they have room. Every team needs a good enforcer, keeps the game entertaining.

Posted by: 4RBears | May 5, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

anybody know of any internet live video
feeds for the games tonight. Hawks game is not on NHL.com

Posted by: puckman | May 5, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

@puckman: www.hockeystreams.com

Posted by: ccCapsfan | May 5, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I like the Donald, but the team needs to go in a different direction. The game is changing (partly good and partly not) and his age goes against him. I don't foresee him even being pursued by an NHL team this summer with Bettman's new rules. What Keith Aucoin showed in his absence is what the Caps need next season (ie at least some level of offensive ability).

Posted by: thomas20 | May 5, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

hey puckman, if hockystreams.com isn't working out for you, try:

Posted by: -swb | May 5, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I'll admit this is more related to the last post but I read that the name "Kunitz" means "marten" which is a type of weasel. So, Kunitz is a weasel. A Slavic weasel

Don't know what the name "orpik" means but I assume it's Slavic of some sort.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 5, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

No more Phoenix Coyotes???

Posted by: rachel216 | May 5, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else find it interesting that TSN isn't talking about Kunitz's crosscheck to Varly's head? Not a single peep. Nada. Silence.

Posted by: oo7 | May 5, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

From NHL.com on the 'Yotes:

NEW YORK - National Hockey League Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly issued the following statement regarding the Phoenix Coyotes:

"We have just become aware of today's Bankruptcy Court filing purportedly made on behalf of the Phoenix Coyotes. We are investigating the circumstances surrounding the petition, including the propriety of its filing. We have removed Jerry Moyes from all positions of authority to act for or on behalf of the Club. The League will appear and proceed before the Bankruptcy Court in the best interests of all of the Club's constituencies, including its fans in Arizona and the League's 29 other Member Clubs."

Posted by: irockthered | May 5, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

^^

Sounds like the NHL mafia is at work again.

Posted by: oo7 | May 5, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 - Since Orpik is from San Francisco, it's hard to say... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | May 5, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

if we can get the donald back for around 750, we need to bring him back even if he is scratched for 20-25 games

Posted by: _stevo | May 5, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

This is from the previous thread but I was not surprised at all that Kunitz is not being fined. What ticks me off are so called hockey fans in here calling the NHL a joke and a 2nd class league compared to other "major" sports. The NFL, NBA, and MLB are all biased towards teams that bring money to their respective leagues. How often do you see Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, or Boston Celtics treated the same as other teams? NEVER.

The NHL's biggest problem is its current TV deal with VS. Although VS does a decent job with coverage it isn't on every TV carrier. With the players in the NHL has to market now Bettman MUST get a new deal with a network that is more widely seen. It will be an easier sell than the post-Gretzky era.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 5, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

No Donald = Syomin, Backie, & Varly get assaulted.
Do we really want 5'8" Aucoin to defend our team from the Sucksburg thugs?

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 5, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@ Rocc00

I fear, we will see this in the next game ... the incidences to Syomin and especially Varly in game two ware too obvious ...

... I love hockey but I don't like bad referees and a league which tolerates (and therefore indirect supports) e. g. the behavior of Kunitz ...

... so I am still astonished that the CAPS are leading the series in spite of the officiating and the measures of the league in suspending Brash for six games to reduce our chances in winning games ...

... would the presence of Brash and Erskine have prevented the cheap shot of Kunitz ...

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | May 6, 2009 2:11 AM | Report abuse

We need the Donald back. He is a good enforcer for Semin, Ovi, and Varly.

Posted by: capsfan01 | May 6, 2009 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Pro sports is a business. Brash will be back if they can work out a deal that satisfies both parties. I am a big fan of Brash, mainly because he is a tempering influence for the other side, I doubt anyone wants to be on his dance card. Also, he is not just a thug totally without hockey skills, he has a great motor that never slacks off, and seems very well respected by his teammates as a locker room leader. It would be a pity if he weren't back next year, but at his age the end of his career is not far away.

Posted by: mikegarcia | May 6, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse