Brashear Ready to Return

Donald Brashear said moments ago that he's ready to return for Wednesday's playoff opener at Verizon Center. The veteran left wing missed 14 games with a sprained left knee.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 13, 2009; 12:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poti Questionable For Game 1
Next: Boudreau on Avery: 'Sean Is Not Going to Change'

Comments

Good...no tomfoolery from the Rag's thugs

Posted by: meagle | April 13, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"eggcellent" ~ monty burns

Posted by: _stevo | April 13, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Let the mass hysteria begin!!!!!

Posted by: superpaqman | April 13, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Here are my predictions:

Either the Caps or the Rangers will win. (I hope the Caps win, but I am playing it safe).

Despite of the outcome, the following players will be blamed, cursed, maligned, disparaged, belittle (add your preferred negative adjective to the list) by some of the fans:
Schultz
Jurcina
Morrison
Nylander
Semin
Kozlov

Depending on the outcome the following players may or may not feel the wrath:
Theo
Green
Fleishman
Fehr

The following players will be praised and absolved of any mistakes they might make:
Ovie
Backstrom

As for me? Although I am rooting for the Caps and I hope they go all the way, I will be happy with a competitive series and thankful to the Capitals for providing a great season of good hockey for many of us to enjoy.

Posted by: opita1 | April 13, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

My dream...

Brashear's elbow on the back of Avery's head and his smug face smashed against the glass!

...what, a girl can dream!

Glad to have Brash back, because we need his presence on the ice for the playoffs!

Posted by: NatyBG | April 13, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

From the previous one:

@ranndino:

No upset predicted?

That seems to be very unlikely (hope that it will not happen to the Caps) ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 13, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

opita1, you should move Theo into the "blamed no matter the outcome". I'm sure that even if Theo shuts out the Rangers four times, someone will say he's not confident because Theo's rebound control is poor.

Posted by: koalatek | April 13, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Koalatek,
Good point.

Posted by: opita1 | April 13, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

It would be fantastic, if all players were healthy ... Poti, Brash, Clark ...

This would give coach BB a lot of possible line combinations to keep Tortorella guessing ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 13, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

This is Great news... if anyone remembers... Brash opened up the scoring last year against the flyers... hopefully he can do it again this year!

Posted by: k_immi_e | April 13, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: koalatek
----------------------------------------

OK - that's funny

Posted by: Redwolf1 | April 13, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to hear it. I just got Brashear put on my caps jersey before he got hurt. I hope he scores some goals/busts some heads.

Posted by: AMEason52 | April 13, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I have to ask this again, because so far I have received no real answer. To those who attempted to answer me, no I did not forget about anything--I'm taking the facts directly from the box score, and those facts are the same as I remember them. To the one who told me that Rule 27.2 requires this result, I do not believe you are correct about that, as two NHL linesmen have told me that under no circumstances do the rules require a team to be down two men when only one penalty is on the clock.

In the April 3 Capitals game against Buffalo, the following happened. As of before the first event I list, both teams were at even strength and neither had anyone in the box.

Here is a link to the box score where you can even watch replays of the relevant goals if you don't believe me. http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2008021160.

Period 1

19:59 - Each team whistled for one two-minute minor. Each teams remains at even strength. (This has no relevance to what I am talking about, but previous attempts to answer were trying to say that there was actually just a penalty on Buffalo at this point.)

Period 2

1:14 - Two Buffalo players whistled for one two-minute minor apiece, creating a 5-on-3 for the Capitals.

1:59 - The coincidental minors, whistled at the last second of Period 1, the ones that are irrelevant to my question, expire.

2:39 - One Buffalo player whistled for one two-minute minor. NHL rules require each team to never have less than four players (usually 3 skaters plus a goalkeeper) on the ice, so this Buffalo player is physically sent to the box but must wait for his penalty to start. There are now three Buffalo players and no Capitals in the penalty boxes.

3:14 - Both of the Buffalo penalties at 1:14 expire, but the penalty timekeeper does not permit any of the Buffalo players to return to the ice even though there is now only one Buffalo penalty on the clock.

3:41 - Alexander Semin scores a 5-on-3 goal!

3:50 - Sergei Fedorov scores a 5-on-4 goal!

My question is--how does Semin score a 5-on-3 goal with only one Buffalo penalty on the clock?

My other question is--how does Fedorov then score a 5 on 4 goal nine seconds after Semin scored a goal with only one Buffalo penalty on the clock?

Posted by: youaresquishy | April 13, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

lol @ Koalatek, so true!

Posted by: capsfan26 | April 13, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@youaresquishy - don't know all the rules, but both players in the box whose penaties ran out could not be let back on the ice at the same time or it would be a 5-on-5 and since the 3rd Buffalo penalty starts as soon as the previous one(s) expire it is a 5-on-4 for the Caps. So the Fedorov goal at 5-on-4 is proper. Again, not knowing the rules in depth I am not sure if Buffalo could have put a 4th player on the ice from the bench when the double penalties expired OR they have to wait for a stoppage so the penalized players can get to the bench.

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 13, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

youaresquishy:
i posted this the other day - i think this is right

period 2 started, with both teams at full strength (yes the box score and my memory both agree on this point), and here's what happened

i think this explains what happened - anyone can correct me if i'm wrong

the boxscore I checked - espn - shows both the caps and buf with a penalty at 19:59 of the first - they started the 2nd period 4 on 4.

Rule 26 d states
When ONE minor penalty is assessed to ONE player of EACH Team at the same stoppage in play, these penalties will be served without substitution provided there are no other penalties in effect and visible on the penalty clocks. Both teams will therefore play four skaters against four skaters for the duration of the minor penalties.

* at 1:14 buf get two minors - caps get a 4 on 2 - but I don't think 4 on 2's are allowed
so it was 4 on 3 (with the second penalty to buf waiting for the first period (19:59) penalty to expire)
* at 1:59 the penalties from the first period expired - it should be 5 on 4 - except
the second of the penalties from 1:14 kicked in - back to 5 on 3 (at 1:59)
* at 2:39 buf has another penalty - but it can't start yet - no 5 on 2's - (the 1st 1:14 and 2nd 1:14/*1:59* are still in the box)
* at 2:59 the second penalty from 1:14 expires - it should be 5 on 4 - but the 2:39 penalty starts - back to 5 on 3
* at 3:41 semin scores - the second penalty from 1:14 (1:59) is let out - 5 on 4
* at 3:50 feds scores - the 2:39 (2:59) penalty is let out of the box
even strength

if the second period truly started as 4 on 4 then i think the above makes sense

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 13, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SA-Town | April 13, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Here's my prediction. Guys will make good plays, guys will make bad plays. Avery will try to run around some. Our skill guys will perform well. Mo will have a strong series. Theo will be adequate. Laich will score a couple of big goals. Pothier will do at least 1 thing in one of the games that will make us all thankful he came back when he did.

Caps in 6.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 13, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Davethecapsfan:
well said!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 13, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Avery will get scared of Brash!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 13, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216:

Are there any information whether and how they played against each other?

@Davethecapsfan:

I would very much like the Caps to finish the series in DC - so Caps in 5.

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 13, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

just some other stats and notes that should be shared if people haven't already seen them anywhere else.

Posted by: caps28fan | April 13, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

wendesday can't get here soon enough

Posted by: caps28fan | April 13, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Despite the outcome? Who's waiting for an outcome?

The puck drops in 2 days, and I'm *already* blaming Schultz.

Then again, some of us are just more dedicated than others...

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 13, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

opita1, what kind of prediction is that? Are you actually a Caps fan? Couldn't tell from your post. One word for you- MORON!!!

Posted by: jwash4472 | April 13, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

jwash4472,

I am such a MORON I couldn't understand if you were trying to ask me questions or to insult me. Did you inherit your witticism or was it an accident?

Posted by: opita1 | April 13, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh Capt_Kirk_in_AZ, I feel like such a moron.

The rule I was missing was indeed the rule that says if neither team is already down, it goes to 4 on 4 if there are coincidental minors. And that explains the whole thing.

I think there may have been a time when coincidental minors at 5-on-5 just left things at 5-on-5, which might be why I got confused, but I can't remember anymore.

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

Posted by: youaresquishy | April 13, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse