Brent Johnson: Odd Man Out, Again

D.C. Sports Bogger Dan Steinberg talked to the other other Caps goalie, Brent Johnson, who's been taking shots in practice but is far from suiting up for Game 2.

Here's what Johnson had to say about sitting out the playoffs for the second straight year:

"Totally different, completely different situations," he said. "Last year it was one of those things, it was out of my control. This year I did something so I wouldn't be just playing mediocre out there. Obviously I wanted a quicker return than it's been, but the hip is nothing to take lately, and I just have to keep the rehab up, keep the therapy and keep going. And hopefully I can get back. The main concern is just getting on the bench and being around the guys, to root for my team."

Check out the whole post here.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 16, 2009; 11:51 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Game 1 Aftermath
Next: Boudreau Declines to Name Game 2 Starter

Comments

One bad game and people are ready to throw in the towel. Golly. ONE GAME PEEPS!

Theo did not make any big saves. Ok, move on. The defesne played bad. Green and Ovi stayed on the ice too long. Things will be ok!

This just means the Caps get to clinch at home instead of in New York!

Posted by: Leeguru | April 16, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I have been telling you ppl for 2 years now
1. get rid of players like Semin who only plays when he wants
2. I told you last year to ship out Nylander
3. OV should be told this is a team game! Play that way or we will get someone who will. That means YOU back check
4. Get a goaltender

Only than will you shake the name
" NO CUP CAPS "

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and it wasn't even a bad game. Just a bad result. The Caps will win

Posted by: Leeguru | April 16, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

before everyone decides to jump on the titanic, here's a good stat, courtesy of Japers.

"Historically, NHL squads that found themselves down 1-0 in a first-round best-of-seven after dropping the first game at home have gone on to win 49.3% of those series (thanks in part to a .681 Game 2 winning percentage)."

So it's basically still a coin flip series.

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 16, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

lee,its not one bad game. if it were, people wouldn't be asking for Theo's head. Its a full season of the same old same old, from the same people, over and over.

Posted by: oo7 | April 16, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Let's report on Clint Malarchuk's neck injury too! Who cares...the dude is out until next year...I'm glad he is watching movies but the Rangers are our concern right now.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 16, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

It's not a coin flip. Bad result. This thing will over in 5 or 6. Does anyone think the Rangers will hang four and anymore games? Didn't think so.

Posted by: saintex | April 16, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

oo7, I know. but we don't need theo to win a game for us. He lost one last night, and that is what we don't need. The Caps will win, and we may even see Varley before it's all said and done.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 16, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"Historically, NHL squads that found themselves down 1-0 in a first-round best-of-seven after dropping the first game at home have gone on to win 49.3% of those series .............I think the Rangers like that stat. they have a better than 50% chance of winning the series! Thanks for digging up that info

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm just not ready to trust postseason hopes to a 20 year old kid with a limited numebr of games under his belt AND a history of injuries.

Theo is our sieve this year and I'm sticking with him, for better or worse.

(although I did stick my signed Theo puck facedown last night and said it wasn't going back up until he wins a game. We'll see if it works)

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 16, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

during the hurricanes cup winning season in 2006, they had received shaky at best goaltending from Martin Gerber. After two stink bombs against montreal, the personnel savvy hurricanes turned to a kid named Cam Ward. He was young, unproven, but extremely athletic and willing to put it all out there...they won the cup that year...we need to give Varly the chance to repeat history...we cannot win with Theo...he has proven unworthy of the team in front of him.

Posted by: netminder71 | April 16, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

LOL never mind the fact you have one of the Worst goaltenders in the league but you have a team that is so worried about offence and your offencive stats . When its good defense that wins Stanley Cups...HELLO!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Lee, it would be nice if he did win a game for them, or at least give the guys a better chance to win. i want them to win, but cant say they will. i dont believe in absolutes. Thats why the games are played. It doesn't matter what a team did in the regular season. The only thing that matters is what a team does in the NOW. Personally, I think you put in the rookie and hope for the best. Why? Well, why not? Mediocrity has never won a championship, and thats all I care about Not just winning a round or two. Theo should have been at the top of his game yesterday, not the bottom. I'm not being over-reactionary, just calling a spade a spade. The teams will get tougher here on out and he hasn't shown an ability to rise to any occasion. Give someone else a chance to shine. Theo's confidence was shot before he got to Washington. We all knew that. No more excuses, no more blinders.

You are correct though: blathering on about it on this blog, as I have done, aint gonna do squat.

Posted by: oo7 | April 16, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

one thing to consider about throwing varly out there is he wont understand anything avery tries to say to him.

Posted by: midnightrush1 | April 16, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'm not even a Theo fan, but he did win 32 games. And he essentially lost the starting job to Johnny for nearly 2 months and didn't play a lot of games.

Christ, some people are acting like he won 8 games and had a 6.00 GAA. The End Is Near! The End Is Near!

One bad game, get it out of his system. Strager things have happened in the playoffs. Would you have picked Chris Osgood to catch on fire last season and drag the Wings to yet another Cup victory, based on his regular season performances?

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 16, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Defense wins championships?? How come no one told us before now?

Posted by: Steve_R | April 16, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I didnt come this far and invest this much to throw anyone under the bus. For those of you that want to take swipes and say we are finished...just make sure you sell your tickets to someone who still believes...

I thought we out-shot, out-hit and out-played New York last night. We have to shut to the door better, and really try to get at Henrik...Gomez had a nice quote that he felt they stole the game...The Rangers know they have to play better...we know we have to play the same game and improve on D and in net...If Theo doesnt have it, and we lose...I'll worry about it when the season is over.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 16, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Um..plenty of crappy goalies have won a championship and plenty of great goalies have fallen asleep during the POs.

It happens. the Wards and Roys are very , very, very, very, very, very, very, very, rare.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 16, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I have been telling you ppl for 2 years now
1. get rid of players like Semin who only plays when he wants
2. I told you last year to ship out Nylander
4. Get a goaltender

Only than will you shake the name
" NO CUP CAPS "

Posted by: StanleyCup1907

Oh my God Stanley, shut up!!!!

Semin is hustling to the puck, Nyls is playing better and I saw Ovie get back to cover the extra man whenever he saw them with a possible odd man rush.

Posted by: pkendrick | April 16, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Steve, Look what it did for the steelers! 6 of them!

oo7, I am just preaching patience. I think varley is the future, but am not sure if he needs to put in now or not. The Caps are going to win Cups, but not every one. I have waited since 74-75, i can wait another year.

Midnight: Excellent point about the language barrier.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 16, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town, the Caps DID outplay the Rags and beat them everywhere--except the one place it counted, unfortunately.

Richmondphil, that god Roy is very very very very very very very rare! lol. One of him on this earth is one more than we really need!

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 16, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

sorry, my previous post should read "thank god" not "that god"

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 16, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Defense wins championships?? How come no one told us before now?

Posted by: Steve_R | April 16, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Jose will tighten up his game when reporters and bloggers stop writing things indicating that the entire post-season hinges on him. Talk about getting in the goalie's head...sheesh.

Posted by: CapsChick | April 16, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

You all didnt think the Caps were going to win the whole thing without losing at least 1 game, did you?

Posted by: Kevin9149 | April 16, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Again I see a posting comparing Cam Ward to Patrick Roy. Please stop that. Ward is good but that's just ridiculous.

Posted by: pkendrick | April 16, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

That is for the people who expect Varlamov to be our savior.

There is always that chance that he does perform amazingly well, but he can also collapse, let in 5 goals and never want to play NHL hockey again. Give Theo another go, and we will go from there...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 16, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Ward seems like a much nicer, much more mentally stable guy than Roy, anyways. Don't insult Ward like that.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 16, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I've always kind of felt that the Rags were gonna win 1 of first 2 games here. And it's only because I know that no series or opponent is easy. Noone expected the Caps to sweep. I guarantee you, the Caps will play tighter in game 2, JT will play better, and we'll head to NY tied up.

Posted by: Andoy | April 16, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

ok stanley is a troll, anyone who has been around here knows that, that said I would not be opposed to seeing the triple C and the Iron Curtain in the lineup saturday

Posted by: doncosmic | April 16, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

1. get rid of players like Semin who only plays when he wants
2. I told you last year to ship out Nylander
4. Get a goaltender

Only than will you shake the name
" NO CUP CAPS "

kendrick just keep this list on your desk so I dont have to say "I TOLD YA SO"

I am already right on Nylander and now you are finally seeing what Theo is giving you only 2 more moves to make

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Lee,

Great point. How can I forget about the Steelers when every Pens fan at Verizon feels compelled to bring them up at least a dozen times a period.

Posted by: Steve_R | April 16, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

ok stanley is a troll

really?? really...

Posted by: Andoy | April 16, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pkendrick | April 16, 2009 12:31 PM |

Do you honestly think I am comparing these two careers? Uh no, what is the one thing they have in common?

They both led their teams to the Finals and a heavily unexpected Cup.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 16, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

as a rookie*

Posted by: richmondphil | April 16, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

kendrick just keep this list on your desk so I dont have to say "I TOLD YA SO"

Stanley - I am not saying that you weren't right about Nyls. I am just saying that he is playing better then he was before.

Posted by: pkendrick | April 16, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

You have to give Theo at least one more go...

"You dance with the one what brung 'ya."

The problem with all the people calling for Varly is: what happens if Varly is just as bad? Put Theo Back in? You can't go playing Musical Goalies like that, you'll mess up everyone.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 16, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone read that Carcillo got in trouble? The league sends the Flyers org. notes ALL the time to quit "sending messages" and doing all that dirty stuff and they still do it.....

Posted by: richmondphil | April 16, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Also, the regular season means nothing! The 32 wins for Joe say? Pure luck.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 16, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

SEMIN IS HUSTLING TO THE PUCK, Nyls is playing better and I saw Ovie get back to cover the extra man whenever he saw them with a possible odd man rush.

Posted by: pkendrick | April 16, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

What game were you watching????? They didnt even know Semin was dressed for the game until halfway into 2nd period!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | April 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"Did anyone read that Carcillo got in trouble?"

Wha happen?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 16, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@ richmondphil:

I read that this morning on TSN. Any ideas as to what exactly he did? Methinks this could just be a classic case of the NHL overreacting. But I'll reserve judgment until I see what happened.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | April 16, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

He just did typical Flyers bs at the end of the game. Got into it with Talbot.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 16, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, I wouldn't say it's overreacting when the league sends you notes that says none of that dirty stuff is going down at the end of the games this year.

Typical Carcillo. Typical Flyers. Now they will lose him for at least a game probably.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 16, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Midnight, I don't know how much English Varly understands, but I know one thing for sure, he understands the physical aspects like a shove, slap on the head, etc.

Posted by: opita1 | April 16, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Varly knows some english, I'm thinking he's like Ovie was his first year. I'm sure he doesn't know "sloppy seconds" though!

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Is this the new home of the Board of Directors from the Caps message board? I wondered what happened to them.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 16, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"Obviously I wanted a quicker return then it's been."

Looks like someone at the Post doesn't know the difference between than and then. Wow. I expect that on a message board but not at a newspaper.

Posted by: alanb1 | April 16, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

It's not the team, it's the town. With the Redskins, it's quarterbacks. With the Capitals, it's goalies. Just one game folks.

Posted by: bdcberger | April 16, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse