Brian Fahey to make NHL debut against Predators

On Friday afternoon, Brian Fahey got the call that he was needed with the Capitals, hopped in his car for the two-hour drive from Hershey and reached the team charter to Nashville with just 10-15 minutes to spare.

The last-minute road trip didn't bother him much, though, because in his eighth year as a professional hockey player, Fahey will finally get a chance to play in his first NHL game tonight against the Predators.

"I'm anxious and excited to get the first one under my belt," said Fahey, 29. "It's been a long time coming for me so I'm just glad to have the opportunity. I'm fine and trying to approach it like any other game but it is definitely different for me."

Washington is the latest stop for Fahey, who played 71 games with the Lake Erie Monsters in 2009-10 prior to signing a one-year deal with the Capitals this summer. He's also spent time with the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack, Chicago Wolves, Iowa Stars and the Worcester Icecats since turning pro in 2003-04. Fahey was called up by the Colorado Avalanche for two weeks last season but never got in a game.

"He's a veteran guy, knows how to handle the puck and how to make the plays," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "He's not going to get awestruck in any opponent's building to play the game at the level we have to have him play."

Because the Capitals and Bears play the same system, Fahey said he is confident in his ability to jump into the mix against the Predators.

"I don't see why I shouldn't be prepared for tonight the same way I would be down there," said Fahey, who played in both of the Capitals' preseason games against Nashville. "I've seen a lot of [Nashville's] guys down when we were all playing in the American Hockey League and to have played these guys already twice this year it's not like I'm coming into something completely brand new. I'm looking forward to showing what I can do."

By Katie Carrera  | October 16, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Fahey, Nashville Predators
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michal Neuvirth to make fifth straight start
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Predators

Comments

Go for it Brian. Looking forward to seeing you.

Posted by: Justafan | October 16, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Mike Green's shoulder is not going to be a long term injury. Good luck tonight to Fahey---prove the Debbie Downers on the previous threads wrong, please!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 16, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

This'd be a great game for Ovechkin to really concentrate on defense and set an example for the rest of the team...it's time of hardship that leaders rise from...

Also, completely random, was anyone watching PTI last night when Wilbon was talking about the Pistons bullying the late-80s early 90s bulls and it caused MJ to play with a chip on his shoulder and win 3 chamionships...REMINDS ME OF SOMEONE...

Also, even with the cruddy defense, im 90% sure this goes to overtime, itd be nice for schultz to show some leadership back there as well...

Posted by: cotelloer | October 16, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

For all slamming Green's play this season, he had been averaging 28 minutes a game, I believe and has only been on ice for 1 of the 9 goals against so far this season.

And Schultz has been averaging about 21 minutes a game and has been on ice for 0 of the 9 goals against.

Just saying.

Posted by: piratusus | October 16, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else that goes to Verizon ever wonder why #99 isn't in the rafters? I just dropped a note to Ted asking about that and suggesting the Caps have a ceremony. I also suggested extending an invitation to Gretzky if the Caps choose to raise his number to the rafters.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 16, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: perhaps I misunderstood, but are you suggesting we retire a number of a player that never played for the Caps? It's been retired by the League, so there's no reason for the Caps to do anything and no reason for it to hang in our building--he never played for the Caps. I can think of a few other numbers that Caps players actually wore that would make more sense

Posted by: melissa2809 | October 16, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

No, you didn't misunderstand me. Wayne Gretzky kept the league afloat during the 1980's and is considering the only reason NHL hockey is still in the LA area. I love watching Ovie play, and he brings everyone out of their seat when he enters the offensive zone, but his best point output season thus far is almost 100 points lower than Gretzky's. The retired jersey would be a great way to remember the greatest hockey player to ever take the ice.

I'm not trying to convince you to agree with me, everyone is entitled to their opionion, and I respect that. Just wanted to share my thoughts on it since you asked. Let's Go Caps!

Saturday matinee between the Pens and Flyers on NHL network at 6pm. They moved the game up so Flyers fans can watch game 1 of the NLCS on the jumbotron at Wells Fargo Center.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 16, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh, as far as other numbers worn by Caps jerseys being retired I agree. Hopefully Olie's and Bonzai's numbers will be retired one day.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 16, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

i would be personally as a long time Caps fan if a number was retired before Bondra's or Kolzig. we are all hockey fans here and respect the great players over the years, but to retire a number of a player who never contributed to our organization is rediculous. let's retire Michael Jordon's number for Caps while we are at it (at least that one has ties with DC)

and haha the numbers...you realize when Gretzky was playing the game was a lot different. I'm sure if Ovie played when gretzky did he would put up similar numbers or at least Lemieux type numbers.

sorry but to even suggest what you just suggested makes you sound like an idiot and I have no problem saying so.

GO CAPS! GOOD LUCK FAHEY! and..... GO CAPS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | October 16, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

capsfan387: When you compare Gretzky's numbers to his peers, there was no match. Pulling idiot out of your pocket is immature. Ovie is the man, and even though I consider him the best player in the world right now, he doesn't blow away his peers in point totals like Gretzky did.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 16, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

hey capsfan387,

Once Ovi starts clinching the scoring title by the allstar break, you can put his name in the same sentence as the 99,

Stat-wise Gretzky is the most dominant athlete in the history of team sports and Ovi will never even come close.

Posted by: joek443 | October 16, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------

LOL do you not realize Lemieux averaged close to 2 points/game??

Ovi is closer to Messier than either Gretzky or Lemieux, he wouldn't put up that kinda gawdy offensive numbers no matter what era he played...

Posted by: joek443 | October 16, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Besides playing in a different era, Gretzky also played with these guys named Kurri, Coffey, Messier, Anderson (3 hall of famers and a guy who scored 498 career goals).

Posted by: chombie13 | October 16, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or is joek443 a real downer! Gretzky was a great player...I don't really care how Ovie compares to him though...I focus on the fact that I enjoy watching Ovie every season, he is a GREAT player, and has potential to get even better.

Posted by: capscoach | October 16, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan387

don't bother arguing with joek443...he is determined to be permanently dissapointed with the Caps no matter what. He is not worth your breath.

Posted by: capscoach | October 16, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

We should just throw in the towel now....season is over for us. Forget choking in the playoffs....we won't even make the playoffs.
---------------------------------
There's the panic I'm used to reading on here! I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to say this. Gotta love this board some times. Been gone for most of the week and some things nevva change.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | October 16, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

A sign of the times...the Navy football game against SMU was on 1500 AM just now with less than a minute to go and Navy clinging to a 7 point lead and it was bumped for the Caps hour long pre-game show. This is a Great development for Caps hockey in the area.

Posted by: MReilly9 | October 16, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

No Matthew Lombardi tonight for the Preds...upper body injury.

Posted by: MReilly9 | October 16, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

No Matthew Lombardi tonight for the Preds...upper body injury.

Posted by: MReilly9 | October 16, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or is joek443 a real downer!
---------------------------------------
Buwahahaha! 4 games into the season and I bet there isn't another statement that is as understated as that! You will NEVER hear "Joke" say anything positive. Heck I've asked him to say something nice to his dog and he couldn't even do that.

As a side note don't expect him to say nice things about Gretzky but he'll be the 1st to chat up his ole boy Mario that he loves. He tends to "love" a lot of former Pens, what does that tell you about which team he really roots for? Just ignore him though. We've at least got him to only come back a day or 2 a week. At least it's not 50 posts a day.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | October 16, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope Fahey does well tonight, but the need to play him demonstrates the lack of depth in the Caps defense. If the team was not going to bring in a defenseman this summer, it should have kept Morrisonn.

Posted by: zmega | October 16, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Cody Eakin is heating it up in the WHL. Last night against the Brandon Wheat Kings he was the first star leading the Broncos to a 4-3 win with two goals, one on the power play.

Posted by: dull | October 16, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse