Briere Hopes to Play

While the Capitals will likely get a couple of players back from injury in time for tonight's Game 1 matchup with Philadelpia, it looks like the Flyers will have high-scoring center Danny Briere in the lineup. He missed the final two games of the regular with a knee injury. But he could be slowed a bit because he's expected to wear a brace.

Read about it here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 11, 2008; 10:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cox to Carry Games in HD
Next: Morrisonn to Play; Jeff Schultz Out

Comments

Posted by: First | April 11, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Why does Daniel(Danyell) he is allmost as bad as Cindy Crosby!

Posted by: CA Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

So the last time I shaved was Saturday morning. I'm planning on keeping it that way.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 11, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'd rather have no Briere, but I suppose a slow Briere is better than a healthy Briere.

LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Jill | April 11, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we should all bring spears to remind him who he's dealing with! Just kidding, wouldn't want to befuddle that crack Vz Center security squad.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 11, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It is always a risk to throw a guy out there not 100%. What if he goes down. Playing a fwd short in the playoffs can really hurt you late in the game.

Lok at Carolina rishing guys back vs. us a couple games ago.

Same can be said of Mo and Schultz. If they arent good to go, we have to take in consideration what happens if they go down early or mid-game.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 11, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I'd argue a slow hobbled Danielle is better than no Danielle at all.

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

YAY SPEARING!!!

Posted by: Go skins Go | April 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

TGIF - Let's go Caps!

Posted by: Hew | April 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

People talk about the Fliers like they are still the Broad Street Bullies. That isn't exactly true anymore. Yes, the fans are still as obnoxious as ever (that's what happens when your town is a giant highway rest stop between DC and NY).

However, when you look beyond the stats, and watch the games. Philly isn't all the different then any other NHL team. They have some speed, and finesse, and role players for physical play. Well, last time I checked, so do the Caps.

The idea they don't get credit for stats on "hits" is rather ridiculous. Yes, it is a stat that can be skewed, but not as drastically as they make it sound.

What I do know, is that Washington is the BIGGEST teams in the league, and close to one of the youngest (Feds didn't help in that stat). Maybe.. just maybe.. the Fliers should be afraid of OUR physical game!!!

That being said, I see the key to this series coming down to secondary scoring. Laich, Semin, Feds, Bradly, Cooke need to step up and win the series for us. Ovie, Backstrom, and Kovlov can't do it by themselves. If we get secondary scoring, we will win!

8.5 hours to go.

-PS- I hope Danny B gets smashed through the boards if he tries any more fancy stickwork out there.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 11, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

So... do I record the Caps game and go out to the bar to watch the Rangers-Devils game with friends first, so that I can come home pumped up for the Caps game but not know the score realtime, or do I watch the Caps at 7 just to know the score and then watch what I'm sure will be (comparatively) a letdown Rangers/Devils game?

Decisions, decisions...

Posted by: Kurt | April 11, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Briere: -22 when healthy. Can't wait to see what he does with a brace.

Posted by: DC Optimist | April 11, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Kurt - why are you debating this... to me, it's an easy decision - watch the Caps... the Caps making the playoffs is like seeing Hailey's Coment... you never know when it's going to happen again.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@Kurt

There's really a question??? I would totally watch the Caps game Real-time because you're going to see the score of the game go across the screen anyway..i'd rather watch it happen first hand :)

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | April 11, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Hey DCO,
Just emailed you!

Kurt,
Get your friends to join you for a few beers at home watching the Caps game. Then get drunk to celebrate and forget the Devils/Rangers game ever existed.

Old time,
Who do you think will win the Masters? I'm obviously hoping for a Brit (Casey, Donald, Westwood or Rose) but anyone but Tiger would do for me. Not that I don't like Tiger but its nice to see other people win once in a while.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

O ye of little faith, 828! I personally hope that we Caps fans can grow as playoff-unappreciative as, say, Devils fans (11 straight seasons?) with the talent in the system.

Posted by: Kurt | April 11, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Dave UK... I live in NYC and I'm marrying a Rangers fan later this year, so forgetting that series exists is not really an option for me (even if I'd like to!). I do actually like to watch the Rangers now and again, since I get their games in HD consistently and MSG is pretty easy for me to get to (though I can't say I made many friends at the Garden this year gloating about Jagr's slump).

Posted by: Kurt | April 11, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Kurt,
It seems you have made a number of sacrifices already for this relationship. Your wife-to-be should understand and stay in with you watching the Caps. After all, your team will win the Cup before her's does again. :)

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

@Kurt - there is no way you won't see an in game update of some sort on the Caps game. If you want to watch it Fresh, watch it live.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 11, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Really.... is it that important for you to be the first f-ing comment?

F-ing Moron!

Posted by: Enough with the F-ing First | April 11, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Kurt
When a man is no. 1, a woman is no. 2.
When a woman is no. 1, a man is zero.

Posted by: smartask | April 11, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

That's true, Sombrero Guy. I can ignore the ticker at the bottom, and go to the other end of the bar at intermission, but an in-game update is a risk.

Fortunately, it's MSG, so Sam Rosen and JD will probably be so caught up being massive Rangers boosters that they won't have time to remember any other games are going on.

Posted by: Kurt | April 11, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Smartask,

When a woman is a hockey fan who wants to plan the honeymoon around the hockey schedule so we can see a Canucks game, and has actually looked at hockey-themed wedding cake toppers on her own initiative, she's too good to pass up, even if she's wearing a 68.

Posted by: Kurt | April 11, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Anybody else getting down there early tonight to soak up the Caps Crazy atmosphere?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 11, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Kurt,
As soon as that woman of yours gets home from work, tell her to turn on the Caps game, make you a drink, get your dinner ready, put another log on the fire, rub your back and watch the Caps beat Philly.

Just don't say it out loud.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

No couch in the world is comfy enough to sleep on for me to ever try that all at once.

Posted by: Kurt | April 11, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse