Broad Street Bullies Are Beat Up

Just arrived at the Wachovia Center. First thing I see? The Flyers' injury report. Wow.

Defenseman Randy Jones is out with a hip injury; right wing Joffrey Lupul is out with a left wrist injury; forward R.J. Umberger is out with a broken pinky finger; and left wing Scottie Upshall is out with broken left wrist.

Umberger and Upshall are scheduled to have surgery tomorrow. That, on top of the whole Steve Downie controversy. All of it happened during last night's 4-2 loss to the Senators in Ottawa.

Update:It's the end of the first period and Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin just showed up. They weren't scheduled to play. In fact, they were scheduled to have the night off. Instead, they drove themselves to the game. That's the second time this preseason that Ovechkin has attended a road game just to watch.

Update:In the third period, the kiss cam at Wachovia Center focused on Matt Bradley and Jakub Klepis. Bradley, who was chewing on his mouthguard, leaned over a few inches and faked kissing Klepis. The crowd appreciated his effort.

Update:Here are my brief impressions of tonight's game: Brent Johnson looked good again. So did Dave Steckel. Steve Eminger also was solid.

Klepis won't be around much longer. At least he shouldn't be. Neither will Bourque, but that's not a bad thing. He's getting closer, and I've also got the feeling we're going to see in Washington at some point this season.

Update:The Caps are off tomorrow.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 26, 2007; 5:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steve Downie Crushes Dean McAmmond
Next: Odds and Ends

Comments

stupid is as stupid does

Posted by: Jim | September 26, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

It breaks my heart to see the Flyers banged up.

Posted by: Cindy's boy toy | September 26, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Who scored?

Posted by: Blank | September 26, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

There's a poll up on the right banner asking who will win the Southeast Division. Light it up.

Posted by: HolyOlie | September 26, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love OV and Semin showing up.

As Backstrom skated up the ice after a puck just now and made a pretty nice little move to protect the puck, the announcers on center ice online just said Bradley makes a nice move to get the puck...I almost fell out of my chair shocked at the skill he showed....then they corrected themselves and said it was backstrom.

Posted by: Rob | September 26, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Just a few notes for anyone bored, I'll try to be positive:

Bourque looked good on a powerplay but can't take a face-off to save his life....

Eminger made a strong move to net and had a great chance but the goalie (or post?) made a great save. He needs to bury that.

Flash can make a great feed. I hope he works out.

Posted by: Rob | September 26, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

im here at the game...suprised how well we are doing...was not that optomistic....our goal was flukey but our def and pk looks good...backstrom also looks real good...flyers fans around me still love brashear funny to see

Posted by: mike s | September 26, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

There's a poll asking who will be the top defenseman. Ben Clymer? I think ESPN forgot which season it is. I hate them

Posted by: Vegas | September 26, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I gotta add this....I read earlier (i think in tarik's article) that GMGM wanted Eminger to skate the puck more into the neutral zone/use his speed. Well he just skated over the redline, dumped in, the caps got a good forecheck and a good shot from the point from Emi no less, then on the same forecheck the caps drew a penalty. He has skated it himself several times, but I think that was his best shift.

Posted by: Rob | September 26, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Those ESPN polls bother me. When i mouse over the states and look at the votes, only 3 states have 'large' voter turnouts. NY, Philly and Cali all lead. The others have marginal numbers at best. As of 10:15, some have single digit votes. I know, preseason, blah blah blah, but its not much different during the season. They get up around, what, 5000? Click on the other major sports and its a little humbling.
$%#@ing ESPN.

Posted by: 007 | September 26, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Semin's driving up to see the team (again) is an indication he is more involved emotionally with the team. Or, why does he give me the impression that he isn't usually? I hope the fans don't dog him as another "Rick Green". (showing my age here!)

Posted by: Dezlboy | September 26, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

FYI - Ted stepping away from AOL doesn't mean he isn't keeping busy:

Makes his regular appearances at team functions that much more impressive.

And since I'm already off-topic, EA NHL 08...file under Rodney Dangerfield. From the oh-so-authentic "Go Caps Go" crowd chant to the c'mon, seriously pronunciation of Semin and Eminger rated as our top defenseman. Didn't bother to remove Beech or Muir from the lineup either. And Rat Stana is a free agent rated higher than Olie.

Posted by: Shmoo | September 26, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

For the life of me, I can't figure out why all this "Showing of emotion" crap is expected of Sasha Semin. Why isn't it enough that ( If he remains healthy ) he'll most assuredly score 45 - 55 goals this season, with another 50 ( Or more ) assists? He's not Alex Ovechkin. He's Alexander Semin. Not all great players wear their hearts on their sleeve as OV does. Why is that necessary for many of you? Why can't Semin simply be himself?
My greatest fear is that ( Sooner or later ) all this negativity is going to cause Sasha to leave D.C. Or, is that what you morons want? Geeezzzzz.....
No matter what he does, there're many who'll FIND something to criticize.
GET OFF HIS CASE!! Get a life....

Posted by: Puckguru | September 26, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Things shapping up...
Ovechkin/Kozlov/Fleischman
Semin/Nylander/Backstrom
Pettinger/Gordon/Clark
Brashere/Sutherby/Steckle
Laich and Bradley

Pothier/Poti
Morrison/Jurcina
Green/Boudmidnne
Schultz/Erskine

Eminger/Clymer need 2be traded

Posted by: Zack Attack | September 27, 2007 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Btw im calling it right now either Tampa or NYRangers will get Stevie Eminger becuz both teams need a D and Clymer will prob go back 2Tampa becuz he can play both O/D and hes played there be4 just my opinion

Posted by: Zack Attack | September 27, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Well then it'll almost certainly be NY, because GMGM isn't dumb enough to trade in division with one of our stronger opponents. I can't see them making a trade w/ Tampa for a prospect - it's not in our best interests.

Posted by: Raber | September 27, 2007 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Puckguru: Nice rant! And oh so true.

Posted by: Scai | September 27, 2007 4:05 AM | Report abuse

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Puckguru. Semin strikes me as a much quieter guy than AO who doesn't want all the attention and fanfare that AO gets. He doesn't have that boisterous personality, and that's just fine. You don't have to be that way to put good numbers up on the board. He just wants to play. I say let him.

Posted by: HolyOlie | September 27, 2007 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I think Zack has the final group of players right, but they wont keep 14 forwards and 8 D. I think Clymer is a decent player but doesn't fit their plans; younger and cheaper skaters who perhaps have more skill (heck, Motzko and Wilson are better than Clymer now). I really like Bradley, always have, but I think Steckel sticks and deserves it with his great hockey IQ. I also think Laich should stick around, but that kid has finishing issues like Gordo.
I love Erskine's toughness but they have Brash - so I think he may be demoted or traded. Schultzy will be sent down as well - he needs more seasoning.
I dont think they'll trade Emi - they've put way too much into developing to give up at age 23 and he has decent skills.

Posted by: shaggy | September 27, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Zack Attack: Boumedienne looked terrible last night, turned the puck over time after time. Erskine will only take penalties for holding/interference/delay of game when he shoots the puck over the glass for the 92nd time. Eminger is going to make the team, he's going to have 45 points and you're going to be riding his bandwagon in no time.

Posted by: Guy | September 27, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Puckguru: Semin is a big part of the great locker room chemistry the Caps have. And in my comments, I even questioned why I (and others?) have this impression of Semin being a little aloof? Maybe cause he plays this "I can't speak English game?. Different players have different personalities. I meant it as a complement that he is traveling to watch the team.

Posted by: Dezlboy | September 27, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Dezlboy and others...
It's not what Semin says, it's what he does on the ice what matters. Leave the guy alone. Let him play!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 27, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

that play eminger made last night when he was buzzing around the net and almost scored was some of the most impressive hockey ive seen out of him in a while. he played solid defense and jumped into the offensive play at the right times. hes not going anywhere

Posted by: pp is doo doo | September 27, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Tarik -

What's the story w/ Fehr? Training camp is almost over and he's still on the roster.

Give us some insight! With all the talk of Bourque/Klepis/Flash/whomever... he's been under the radar since rookie camp, yet was considered to be a potential top 2 winger.

Where is he in terms of injury? How do the Caps see him this year? Will he make the roster injured?

This is a story that is itching to get out... someone in the org must have some good nuggets for you(us)!!

Posted by: We Want to Know | September 27, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I think Fehr is done

Posted by: Blank | September 27, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

trade him when you might get something for him, now

Posted by: Anonymous | September 27, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Blank - I don't care what you think. I'd rather hear from someone with a little insight. Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 27, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

That's the insight. He got injured last year. He failed the preseason medical. He is hurt. That's it for him. What more would you like to know?

Posted by: Blank | September 27, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Because no athlete ever has had an injury and returned to play at a high level. It has never happened, right Blank?

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | September 27, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I think Semin is great. I love a great wrist shot.

Posted by: Jim | September 27, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Tarik;

Darn good piece you inked for today's paper. Shows how hard it is and the prep involved in "making it" in the NHL today. Contrary to the view of natural talent, it also takes alot of off-season dicipline to qualify and remain a player. Yes indeed, not so Green anymore!

Nice job!

Posted by: DogDaze | September 27, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Blank, is that your medical opinion?

Posted by: norske | September 27, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

rolchira

Posted by: cnadronb | December 29, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

taroc4

Posted by: ladronvit | December 29, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

codrontar

Posted by: orouacvardom | December 29, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

activation induced cytosine deaminase activation induced cytosine deaminase [link=http://marcon.tv.it/uploads/tf/styles/news2582.html]activation induced cytosine deaminase[/link]

Posted by: activation induced cytosine deaminase | August 17, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

sidekick 2 ringtone software sidekick 2 ringtone software [link=http://marcon.tv.it/uploads/tf/styles/news2204.html]sidekick 2 ringtone software[/link]

Posted by: sidekick 2 ringtone software | August 17, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

movie showtimes dallas movie showtimes dallas [link=http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news739.html]movie showtimes dallas[/link]

Posted by: movie showtimes dallas | August 17, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse