Posted at 12:01 PM ET, 02/23/2011

Brooks Laich: 'This isn't last year's team'

By Lindsay Applebaum

Every time the Capitals have struggled for prolonged periods this season, the topic of discussion has inevitably turned to Coach Bruce Boudreau. Is his system working? Is he a bad motivator? Has he lost the team?

But it's not Boudreau's fault, forward Brooks Laich told The Sports Junkies during his regular radio spot this morning. It's just that Washington, which is coming off a tight, 1-0 win in Pittsburgh -- isn't the same type of team Boudreau has coached in recent years:

"Bruce is the head of the ship, there's no question about it," Laich said. "People -- I always defend him -- the criticism that people give him is totally unjust. He's the most prepared, most caring coach in the world, coaching the Washington Capitals right now. He is tremendous. He makes the game so easy for us to play, and people keep comparing this year's team to last year's team. They have to let that go. This isn't last year's team.

"Our focus shouldn't be on avenging last year's team's loss. Some of the players have moved in and out; we don't have the same team as we did last year. We have to focus on winning this year, with this year's team. And I think the comparisons to last year's team and the scoring [313] goals, whatever it was... that's not gonna happen every year.

"Rightfully or wrongfully, this all falls on Bruce, [people say] he's not motivating the guys, well we're professionals, paid a lot of money to play hockey. If you can't motivate yourself, you're in the wrong business. You don't need somebody telling you , 'Oh, you need to be up for this game.' We're professionals that love to do what we do. There's no problem with motivation.

"None of our struggles at all should ever fall on Bruce."

Do you buy it, or is it up to Boudreau to better acclimate the Capitals to this year's new defensive style?

The Junkies also asked Laich about center Nicklas Backstrom's thumb, which is reportedly fractured. A Capitals spokesman wouldn't disclose the nature of the injury yesterday but did say Backstrom's official status is "day to day."

"Nicky's a tough kid, Nicky's a very tough kid," Laich said. "I don't think he'll miss a beat. It's nothing major. Saw him after the game, I think he's okay and I think he'll be in the lineup on Friday."

Here's the full clip from 106.7 The Fan:

The Capitals are off today and return to practice tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | February 23, 2011; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  Brooks Laich, Bruce Boudreau
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Statistical analysis: Scott Hannan's impact
Next: Capitals sign Matt Hendricks to a two-year extension

Comments

I heard the interview live and the only issue I had was that I think the Caps "SHOULD" try to avenge last years playoff exit. I was at the game 7 - The fans were mad and very embarrassed -- the players should have been mortified and angry...the year mark is almost here...I expect to see a hungry playoff team this year!!!!

Posted by: allCAPS | February 23, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

If Laich's performance this year is what he called self-motivated, then he should be package in a deal for a 2nd line center.

Posted by: instinct227 | February 23, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Brooksy comin up with big props to BB. Guess this means he's gonna be fired!

On a more serious note, I'm a lil taken back by how much BL did support BB. I've seen people post on here that we have a divided locker room. I don't know if that's true or not but if it is BL didn't leave any mystery to which side he's on.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

pokerface,

Are you still hearing that a deal may go down today? Also, is it a BIG deal or more of a role player we are talking about?

Posted by: PhilR | February 23, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

From Kevin Allen @ USA Today:

Lots of guys on waivers tpday in the NHL: Zherdev, Rivet, Svatos, Kotalik, Colliton

Posted by: ThePat | February 23, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

reposts from last thread

@tom. I am not sure I made my point clear. What I was pointing out is the high number of chances against Carlson and Alzner could be because they are playinga against the other teams' top line who are in general going to get more scoring chances no matter who is on D. I think that Hannan has been good for the team but I think if you put him out against the guys Carlson and Alzner play against his scoring chances against numbers would rise big time. I may be right, I may be wrong but looking at the numbers I think that plays a very big part into the numbers. It would be interesting to see if, and I don't know if this stat is tracked at all, you could look at scoring chances against the players and compare it to the average amount of scoring chances the players they are out against have. It would be interesting to see if Alzner/Carlson for example reduce the number of scoring chances a line like Stamkos's in TB compaired to what they get in other games.

@pokerface. Interesting, I like Hannan as a player don't get me wrong, but it would depend on the money as to how much I like resigning him. If for instance we could afford Hal Gill for the same or less money I would be against it. If Hannan is willing to take less then what we could get a Hal Gill type player for so we have more $$ for a #2 center then like you I really like keeping him.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 23, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"He's the most caring coach in the world."

Are you kidding me, Brooksie? I guess he's a caring coach if you happen to be one of his favorites....

I wonder if Kolzig, Theodore, Nylander, Clark, Belanger, Erskine, DJK and a few more think BB is the "most caring coach in the world."

Spoken like a true a@@-kisser....

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 23, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think we will/should take a run at any of these guys?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 23, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

oops my last post should have finished with "put on waivers today".

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 23, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Given their reluctance to comment on Backstrom's injury, there's obviously a trade brewing. GMGM doesn't want anyone to think he's dealing from weakness.

As for the BB criticism, get a grip. He's earned at least this year to get things straightened out. Are your memories so short that you don't remember what things were like before he got here?

Posted by: truke | February 23, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

very lame comments by Laich:"the criticism that people give him is totally unjust. He's the most prepared, most caring coach in the world, coaching the Washington Capitals right now. He is tremendous. He makes the game so easy for us to play, and people keep comparing this year's team to last year's team. They have to let that go"

ARE YOU F____G KIDDING ME?! Tremendous!? He lost 3 times in game 7 in playoffs and all of them were at VC. ofcourse he makes it easy for a players. When I was reading this article I couldn't believe it that Laich said it. When Chicago players tell good things about coach Q, that he knows the game and they like him, because they won something with coach Q!

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 23, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps,

Can't beleive I am actually going to do this but I have got to defend BB with that list of yours......

1. Kolzig--was old and washed up but refused to come to grips with it, not BB's fault.

2. Theo--you have a good case on this one.

3. Nylander--GMGM not BB

4. Clark--once again, BB did not make the trade and Clark was beginning to resemble what I said about Kolzig.

5. Belanger--Once again, GMGM not BB

6. Erskine--BB prefers Poti's style of play, is that right of him? Probably not but you can't teach an old do new tricks.

7.DJK-- the other one you actually have a good case on.

Now everyone knows that I despise BB and don't think the team can reach teh promised land as long as he is the bench boss but most of the players you named have not been screwed over by BB.

Posted by: PhilR | February 23, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

No I doubt they'd be interested in them. Possibility of Zherdev but given how he hasn't stuck anywhere he has been despite putting up 20 goals/year, the kid has some issues.

Posted by: ThePat | February 23, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Laich gives us the view of the coach from a player's perspective, and people on here want to question that? What is wrong with you guys? Ovi sure seemed to be on board during the post game interview when he spoke to "the system." Do you guys blame Semin for not wanting to talk to the media. If his interview is taken out of context because his english is rough it makes him look bad. If he gets quoted, like Brooks did, he would basically be called an F'in liar like Brooks. "Spoken like a true a@@-kisser..."

People in HERE were trashing Olie, Nylander, and Clark, Loooooong before they were benched, outcast, or traded. Hell, Brent Johnson was playing better hockey than Olie at the end of the 2008 season yet BB gave Olie the backup role rather that the press box because he was Olie. When Clark was here there were people were screaming for him to give up his "C" to give it to Ovi long before he was traded. Theodore's nickname was three or more and bashed on a continual bases. Poor Nylander was trashed over and over and over in here before his playing time was reduced and eventually eliminated. Erskine, from what I see, gets treated well. I haven't seen BB trash him because he provides what is expected, no more, no less. DJK? Not even worth discussing.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 23, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Dear BB,

It appears Brooksie likes you as a coach, and defended you. It appears he blames this "different" team for what the fans complain about. However, if you are as prepared as Mr. Laich would have us believe, and make it so easy for them to play the game, I ask you this:

Why cant you get your lines straight? We are in game 62 already.

Why is Ovie still on the point in PP situations?

P.S. Those were rhetorical questions Farley.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

hell no on picking up zherdev.....he makes alex semin seem like he plays 100% every shift of every game

Posted by: _stevo | February 23, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I would consider making a move on Zherdev - RW can score some goals, maybe if they dont think Fehr is going to come back healthy and contribute...

Rivet maybe if they dont think Poti is going to make it back and it ends up we might have to play Sloan in the playoffs (if anyone were to get hurt...)

Im not a big fan of Erskine or Sloan come playoff time...

Posted by: cotelloer | February 23, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Good list. Only disagreement is DJK. In my view, he is clearly the least skilled winger on the roster. Bradley, Fehr, Hendricks, Gordon...all those guys have a stronger game than King from what I have seen.

And I like King. He plays his heart out and obviously fights like a champ. I think we are MUCH less likely for someone like Cook to cheap shot us when King plays. But, I think you have to scratch him most games when everyone is healthy. I'll take the increased odds of scoring to the deterrent factor personally. But it's a debatable point. And again, love King and hope he's back next year. My 11 year old son is convinced King is the toughest man on the planet. I've never tried to change his mind.

Posted by: Avar | February 23, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@steveo

I agree not to pick him up. Just saying wouldnt be surprised if GMGM contemplates it.

Posted by: ThePat | February 23, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@Avar

djk is back next year. he has one more year one his contract

Posted by: _stevo | February 23, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Spoken like a true a@@-kisser....

Well said.

Brooks Laich sounds like a politician with that load of crap. I am glad that he loves what he does and that he (and others) get paid well to do it.

I have an idea. Lets start a poll asking other working slobs what happens if they are not motivated in their jobs. What would happen if they "mailed it in" like the Caps prima donnas more often than not. The Caps were sleeping through the first period of the last Pens game. Really?? You an't even play 60 minutes against your biggesst rivals?? Pathetic!

BB is too soft and major issues in the locker room have to exist. I suspect the grinders are fed up with the softies and prima donnas.

I will no longer be contributing to the obsecene salaries some of these players get paid. I would rather donate money to wounded servicemembers (who put everything on the line all the time in combat zones) than continue to contribute to this nonsense.

BTW, a nice display of Hutzpah for raising the STH rate by 14% for this crap. I would have thought Ted was a little more in touch with his fan base than this..

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 23, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think it's more that the team doesn't want to give opponents any information on Backstrom's injury. If teams knew for sue that Backie had a fractured left thumb, can you imagine the attempts that would be made to try to slash him on his hand? That's definitely a move that NY would make. As for a trade, everyone knows the Caps are after a 2nd line center regardless of the Backstorm's inury.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 23, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Ovi on the point in PP has netted 2 goals in the last 3 games, he's starting to come one, and at what time? o, that's right, the EXACT right time..." - cotelloer

Hmm, pretty sure for the other Ovie pp goal he was down low, but for fun, lets say he was on the point for it. Ok, so 2 pp goals in 3 games is enough proof he belongs there after getting 3 goals in the previous 58 games...not to mention he went what, like 130 pp attempts without a point (it perhaps could have been just goals, but pretty sure it was points). Good logic you use there.

Bottom line is, he would score more down low, ala Stamkos etc than he does from the point. We would also be able to keep the puck in the zone longer as he tends to let a lot get past him and such.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

What's worse is they raised the STH prices more on the "attack" side this year (ends up being like 19% increase). I was wondering when that would happen, a lot of other venues already do that. Glad I sit the "defend" side. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI - What do you mean the 'attack side'?

Posted by: guer_j | February 23, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Stastny spouted off about Colorado GM breaking up team. 6.5 mil contract...time for a change of address...My pipe dream...

Stastny for Perrault, Holtby and 2011 1st rounder.

Posted by: jimc93 | February 23, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

nobody can comment on what laich says, because none of us are in the "room" with the team.

What we can comment on is what we see. And that is an ineffective power play and ovechkin's lack of skating pre-games and practices when everyone else does it.

Onward...

How about Green for Iginla?

Green would be perfect trade bait...his playoff "success" and his stats this year just means he doesn't fit in the system.

Gives the caps more punch up front and they obviously can win without green.

Just move Laich to center, give Matty P the wrong schedule for the rest of they year and put Semin on the line with Iginla and Laich.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 23, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

guer_j,

The side of the ice that the Caps shoot at in the 1st and 3rd period......

Posted by: PhilR | February 23, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the season ticket holders who are preferring to use their hard earned money to the benefit of our servicemen. For the record, no one is forcing you to renew and pay the "obscene salaries" of our hockey players. Your servicemen will be grateful for your contribution to helping them and their families. That's pretty awesome. Focus on the good that you're doing.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 23, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I have an another idea. Lets start a poll asking other working slobs what happens if they are not motivated in their jobs while someone is in their face trying to keep them from doing their job.

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 23, 2011 1:12 PM

comparing sports figures jobs to the working slobs has never made sense to me.

you should refuse to contribute if you are not getting your moneys worth. it would be very commendable of you to instead donate to a very worthy cause. there are so many things that are more important than hockey.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 23, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

three or more...while better than me, is a below average goalie since he got caught with "performance enhancers" and a tax charge...

That was a last second effort to show huet that the caps didn't need him.

That effort, FAILED...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 23, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

So what's Laich supposed to do go out in public and say yeah my coach sucks?

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | February 23, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@guer_j

What PhilR said.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Hendricks signed a two year extension worth $1.6M. Good work GMGM

Posted by: ThePat | February 23, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I think sitting on the side where the Caps score twice is a big deal. I come to the game to see them score more than anything else, thats why I want 66% of the game coming to me.

I dont blame them for raising the score side price.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 23, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

That GMGM guy sucks. He just signed Hendricks to a 2yr contract extension. 1.6M

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Hendricks apparently resigned for 2 years $1.6. Somewhere, cstanton just kicked a puppy.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@ ThePat

Thank you best news I have heard in days, outstanding

Posted by: bqts | February 23, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I can hear it now - oh I bet GMGM will say Hendricks was our big signing. Stop it! Don't do it! It's overplayed and tired.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Hendriks was extended two years

Posted by: guer_j | February 23, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Nice extension for the Caps and a good guy. Hendricks has been a good pickup this year.

Posted by: _Mark | February 23, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"I've seen people post on here that we have a divided locker room."

I honestly wouldn't put too much stock into that. Most of the people that post on here watch the games on CSN. Many of them just stream the game over the net because they don't live in the viewing area. Most people that make those claims don't even go to games let alone hang out in the locker room during them.

Posted by: sabredc | February 23, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree that everyone on this post has the right to state their own opinion... but most of you speak as though you have played for BB in the past or have been in the locker room in between periods or during team meetings. All of you watch from the stands or from your couch, but feel you know exactly what goes on inside of the locker room... you have ZERO credibility to disagree with BL who has played for BB for years. BB has got the most wins of any coach since he's come into the league. He took over a terrible Glen Hanlon team and brought them to the playoffs to lose in the 7th game to a better Philly team. Advanced the next year to lose to a better (and eventual Stanley Cup champion) Pittsburgh team, and last year ran into a hot goaltender (as did Pittsburgh) who overacheived and carried his team the the Eastern finals. A good coach always accepts the blame, but we all know that last year came down to the players missing opportunities against the Habs. There's a lot of coaches and GM's on this blog but the truth is, NONE of you know what it takes to win a Stanley Cup because none of you ever have. It was like Christmas on this blog last year when we were up 3-1 on the Habs...Everyone thought we had all the pieces to win the Cup. AND if you say the typical Caps fan "we didnt have the defense or the goaltending" excuse; you need to watch another sport, because the blame fell on the offense not burrying opportunities against Halak. As I said, everyone has a right to their opinion, but when you bash BL for making justifiable comments about HIS coach, your comment has ZERO credibility... and if you knew so much about the game, you'd be in it, and not writing on this blog like all of us.

Posted by: GOAT21 | February 23, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

These are the same people that think they are hockey GM's and coaches.

Posted by: phrankbama | February 23, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Wait a second, if Hendricks came to us as an UFA (on a tryout basis mind you) earned a contract and he now signs a 2 yr extension, doesn't that mean that 29 other GM's out there are IDIOTS for not picking him up? Oh wait, maybe they're not idiots but we found the diamond in the rough. Bo Bom Bom BANG!

I know the story behind him being here. I'm being sarcastic, sorry! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey GOAT21,

Are you that overweight, backwards hat wearing moron with an exceptionally loud, obnoxious "let's go caps" chant and the "burning desire to be noticed in public" guy?

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 23, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@GOAT21

Pot Kettle, Kettle Pot. You have no idea what the people on here know, have talked to, etc. How do you know a poster isnt close friends with a Capital player and talks to them about BB? Uh, you dont bud. Ergo EVERYONE is entitled to their opinions. The same as you are entitled to ignore them.

Ironically, you have Goat in your handle...which is funny because on here Goat Blood drinkers are considered the dark siders, the negative nancys, the naysayers. But as we all know, you sir are 100% a Kool-aid drinker. And I think the fact that you quoted GMGM from the HBO special (sans any sarcasm)...only proves it.

I will say this though, you are probably the loudest guy I have ever heard (in a good way) and am amazed I can hear you from the opposite side. Im lucky if my buddy 2 rows down can hear me.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

the trade you referred to that you thought was extremely close...I heard it was put on hold this morning. Or maybe its a different trade, but the one I thought was gonna be done was put on hold this morning and will be revisited. And no its not for a 2C.

Posted by: ThePat | February 23, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

What section your seats in?

Posted by: bqts | February 23, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

It's all about the D baby...430. I sit there to keep fanohock in line. He tends to get a bit rowdy. :P

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

115 here :)

Posted by: bqts | February 23, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I been around hockey a long time...BB is a coaches coach. End of discussion. You guys may not like him for other reasons but not for hockey reasons. He can coach-up a team.

Posted by: JunkGoal | February 23, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@SOMD HockeyCoach...first I must also commend you for a donation to wounded warriors, that is agreat move. As far as season ticket prices, the Caps for years have been below the NHL average and have always been playing catch up to what they charge for the product on the ice. As of today the Caps are tied for the 8th best record in the NHL, and I saw in an article at the start of the season that they were around 13 or 14th in average ticket price. Since Bruce was hired they are 173-75-38, so what is this crap that you speak of?...Lastly regarding Brooks, as a youth hockey coach shouldn't you be teaching the youngsters to be like Laich? I mean he is a second line player as to his production, but he loves the game of hockey, he loves his team, teammates and coach, is personable, hard working and unselfish. We could use a few more players with his character on any one of our professsional teams in DC.

Posted by: boomer44 | February 23, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@Seminallovertheice and SOMD

Nah I'm not the overweight guy with the ponytail that wants to be noticed... GOAT stands for Greatest Of All Time in reference to Sean Taylor. The phrase "if you knew so much about the game, you'd be in it" is refrenced every year in pretty much every sport. GMGM did not create that quote, he re-used it just as I did. AND if people on here do "know" from particular sources, they would say "I know BB lacks motivational skills because I'm next door neighbors with Matt Bradley" or "My buddy is the team trainer and he says everyone hates BB". It's been known that when players are angry or upset at the coaching situation, they are either shipped out of town, or they grumble to the media... none of which has happened.

Posted by: GOAT21 | February 23, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@GOAT21

Agree to disagree on whether or not they would disclose their insider sources...revealing your source is not a wise move imo. And Im not saying that every basher/praiser has this insider info. Im just saying it is plausible so you cannot discredit everyone as a whole.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Way to go GOAT21 in reference to BL on his coach - completely correct! Most of the people on this blog have no idea how to coach. Bruce has a great record. Awesome on the extension for Hendricks! He is a terrific player who you can always depend on. Hopefully they will extend Hannon.

Posted by: allforSemin | February 23, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I was gonna argue with the GOAT21, but after he said what his screen name stands for, it is not worth it to argue with losers..

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 23, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: allforSemin | February 23, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

oh boy, whats wrong with people today? BB can't coach in NHL, period. Like Alex Giroux can't play in NHL. Giroux is the best player in AHL, but just not good enough for the big league, same goes to BB

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 23, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@ SeminAllOverTheIce

By that rational, BL is an insider.. and yet we are expected to believe the random donkey on here spouting propaganda about locker room division like they know something the players don't.

There are times where your position may be applicable, but not when you are contradicting what a player is talking about.

Agree to disagree that your points are invalid, and that SOMDHockeyCoach has contributed any value to this board.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | February 23, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion...This guy (Brooks Laich) is the heart and soul of this hockey team. He should definitely be wearing a letter on his shirt and we should be signing him to a muti year deal asap. The only games he's missed since being a Cap was when he broke his orbital bone last year. True gut check player with a never quit attitude. The schedule looks very positive for us Caps fans and I am very confident the goals are going to start coming right when we need them. Caps Pens first round sweep???

Posted by: dickinryan | February 23, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Players never say it's the coach's fault. They will always claim to be 100% responsible themselves for what happens on the ice. But the fact is that the coach plays an enormous role in preparing a team to play, strategically, mentally and physically. Boudreau just seems to be lacking in all three areas, frankly. He should've been gone earlier this year at the latest but nobody wants to admit yet that this team has a dead heart and needs a change at its core to succeed. Once this year's playoffs are done, the franchise will no longer be able to hide from the truth.

Posted by: fanzee71 | February 23, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Laich, true to form, show's almost surprizing maturity and leadership. He is saying exactly what the team needs to hear, and not just the fans. Last years team is gone, both the success and failure. This is a new team; a different team. The only thing to do at this point is accept it, and move on.

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | February 28, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse