Posted at 9:11 AM ET, 12/16/2010

Complete game for Brooks Laich

By Gene Wang

The result was anything but satisfying for Brooks Laich, yet out of Washington's 2-1 overtime loss to Anaheim came a resurgent performance from the left wing whose passion and professionalism have made him among the most respected members of the team and often its spokesman in times of distress.

Laich scored the Capitals' only goal, his eighth of the season, and narrowly missed another in the first period when his bid trickled past Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller before Ryan Getzlaf alertly brushed the puck away just as it was getting ready to cross the line. Laich finished with a game-high seven shots and won all six of his faceoffs in 22 minutes 20 seconds of ice time. It was the most time he has logged since Nov. 12, a span of 12 games.

"I have one in the first period that gets to the goal line and doesn't go in," Laich said of his near miss that was one of many for the team in its seventh consecutive loss. "When they're not going in, they're not going in."

That had been the case for Laich even before last night. He had gone six straight games without a goal and had scored once in his previous eight.

Laich's goal came at 14:22 of the first period after he set up shop in front of the crease. Defenseman John Carlson sent a puck at Hiller, who got in the way but was unable to prevent a rebound. Laich located the loose puck and sent a backhanded shot through congestion and past Hiller for a 1-0 lead that had the Verizon Center crowd thinking perhaps this would be the night Washington finally would re-emerge in the win column.

Misfortune instead continued to plague the Capitals, although despite the loss, there was unanimity in the locker room that their level of play was deserving of a win.

"I thought our team did a great job without the puck, and if we play like that, we're going to get rewarded for it," Laich said. "I thought the game plan that the coaches set for us was done very well."

By Gene Wang  | December 16, 2010; 9:11 AM ET
Categories:  Brooks Laich
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The importance of continuing defensive intensity
Next: Alexander Semin not out for Caps' practice

Comments

The caps did play better...but this team has totally lost its swagger. They are playing not to lose - and when your team's identity is predicated exclusively on offense...that is a recipe for disaster.

Until last night - and the airing of 24/7 - I'd held off calling for Boudreau's head. But now it is clear: that is the only solution. He is to be applauded for rescuing a sad sack team from the McPhee disaster that was Glen Hanlon...but now Boudreau has turned into Hanlon. He is powerless to motivate his team, and clueless on how to fix it. I like the guy. But if this team is going to salvage the season, a drastic change must be made...and soon.

Posted by: dingram3 | December 16, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

From a previous thread...

"it's a sad day when we as fans see a mediocre game from our team and claim it's a step in the right direction."

This hits the nail on the head in my mind. I just can't imagine another team with serious hopes of the Stanley Cup at the beggining of the year thinking this way. When pittsburgh had its slump earlier, do you think they were thinking this way. I doubt it. Get it fixed. NOW!

Posted by: kkd76 | December 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

After watching the pens v flyers tuesday night, it is more clear why the caps are not winning. Effort, effort and effort. Watch the flyers and pens ALL bust A$$ on the back check. There is no gliding into the zone late, no watching the opposing player skate in the d-zone unchecked, no half-A$$ effort on the forward rush, everyone is full speed the whole time. The caps glide around, weave in and out slide late in the d-zone or don't ever get back at all.

Until this team plays hard the L's will keep mounting. Talk is cheap.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | December 16, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"So If you are a coach what do you work on in practice today?"

---

If *I'm* The coach? cycling the Puck, Forechecking, and backchecking. Hockey 101 stuff. Also offensive positioning for Matt Bradley. He could have had 2 goals tonight if he was in the correct spot.

I'm assuming BB will be working on cross-ice passes in the offensive zone.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 16, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

If we were NJ or Minn. last nights game would have been great, all D, but we are not, that is not our system.
Bruce's system is built for scoreing....AND THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN!
This is not the first time a successful system has stopped working, but when this happends, you have to do something to change it up...coaching change, GM change or trade/trades. Sitting around and saying "don't panic", your just fooling yourself. Teams have figured out our 5x5 & power play. Do something soon, or you may be seeing OV going back to the KHL in a few years. Before you call me crazy, nobody in Pittsburgh thought Jagr would ever leave either....4 cosecutive Art Ross trophies there before he left?????

Posted by: POGUEHOCKEY | December 16, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

On coaching.

At the pro level, the players no when they F-ed up. They don't need to be scolded for bad decisions but pumped-up and taught. Do they know they blew the assignment? Most times, yes. If they knew not to make a play then take away a shift or 2. If the effort is not there then let them eat nachos with GMGM. Screaming and yelling gets tuned out very quickly at any level. With my kids, if the want to half-A$$ practice, then the pucks go in the bucket and we skate. Once they start skating and putting out effort then we continue practice. In a game, if they make a bad play I get them on the bench right away and tell them what they did wrong, why it is wrong and what to do next time, then get them back on the ice ASAP. If they make lazy, lack of effort mistakes then the sit on the pine for a shift or 2.

I see the same mistakes by the same cap's players every game. Either the coaching is absent or the player doesn't care what the coach's think. I think the caps have a combination of both.
Highly skilled players are harder to coach because they can make bad plays and make it work or recover because of skating ability. They have been doing this since mites and don't want to change for any coach at any level. Take away their ice time and they start to get the message of who is wearing the 'daddy pants'. If they don't like it, send them to Edmonton.

Bottom line, screaming and yelling does not work, ever. Coaching works. You don't have to be their friend you have to be their coach.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | December 16, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Just a reminder to people. When the Red Wings won the SC in 2008 they suffered through a 6 game losing streak and lost 10 games out of 11(they kept their coach).

When the Pens won the cup in 2009 they suffered through a 6 game losing streak(they changed coaches).

The Flyers last year went a 17 game stretch where they had only 3 wins and 14 losses.(They changed coaches in the middle of that stretch but the stretch continued)

This does not mean the Caps will win the SC, but it shows that a long losing streak during the regular season does not necessarily mean that you are doomed.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cadlecreek1

I agree, but it's not just that. There's no doubt in my mind that both teams have better coaching, better GMs, and a better balance of players. Those guys play for each other.

There were two sequences on 24/7 where Crosby was being roughed up, and this immediately brought a response from the Pens. Then we see OV fight, followed by Evason calling out the entire team, questioning their manhood, and one player responds.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 16, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fletch22

Hendricks did not necessarily respond to Evanson either. He had his fight before Ovie's fight as he was in the box when Ovie arrived and thus had his fight before Evanson's tirade.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Bruce has to go.Anyone who lets mp85 swarm all over the ice like a lost puppy dog lastnight says it all.Send his butt back today totally worthless...

Posted by: jp14710 | December 16, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

Hendricks fought twice in that game. He fought Mike Sauer in the 2nd shortly before Ovie's fight, and then he fought Sean Avery in the 3rd.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 16, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Fletch is right Hendricks fought twice in the game, the fight against Avery was in the 3rd after that intermission speech. Evanson's speech was the best part about the show, it summed things up very nicely.

Also if Green's MCL is messed up badly, why dont they just let him rest it and heal completely?? No need to mess it up worse and be out longer, later.

Posted by: ThePat | December 16, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Well things have to be interesting today at Kettler. I didn't see show, but sounds as if BB probably embarrassed himself. It appears his ranting and raving has no impact on the team. Wow, this could all be deeper than just a losing streak...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 16, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fletch22

I apologize. My mistake.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I apologize. My mistake.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 10:34 AM

Can't wait to see what cstanton says about that.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 16, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Anyone who lets mp85 swarm all over the ice like a lost puppy dog lastnight says it all.Send his butt back today totally worthless..."

Remind me again who scored two goals on Dec 6 ... oh yes, the lost puppy dog.

Posted by: pirate1 | December 16, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fletch22

I apologize. My mistake.

Posted by: sgm3

No problem.

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 16, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see what cstanton says about that.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 16, 2010 10:37 AM

Assuming that didnt cause him to have a heart attack and render him unable to post.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 16, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The Caps lost its Mojo. I say, bring back Lisa Hillary!! AMIRITE

Posted by: guer_j | December 16, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@pirate1

Go back and look at everytime MP gets called up. He plays well his first game and then completely disappears. Sorry but the kid isn't talented enough to be a 2C on a team hoping to compete for a Stanley Cup. I personally don't think he has the talent to be an every day NHL player.

Posted by: ThePat | December 16, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

from a tsn story. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=345506&hubname=nhl-capitals

"We don't ask a lot of our players around here. I think we have it pretty good," forward Brooks Laich said. "The organization treats us pretty well -- they give us days off, they give us rest, they aren't down our throats -- and as players, we have to have more respect.

"More respect for the game and more respect for our coaches to do a better job, put a better foot forward and rely on each other to get ourselves out of this."

It sounds like the players don't respect the coach and act like spoiled brats, as many of us were suspecting.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | December 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

i disagree on perrault. if you are evaluating him on points/goals...no one on the team has more than he since he was called up. if you are evaluating him on hustle - no one on the team works harder than he does. for his size, he isn't afraid to into corner, to get hit and to be hit. if semin or ovechkin or green or backstrom played with his effort, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now.

Posted by: dingram3 | December 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

@dingram3

the team hasn't scored since he got called up and that first game. Go look at the history of his call ups and his production. After the first game there is essentially nothing there.

"No one on the team works harder than him"

Do you ever watch Hendricks play hockey??? He is by far the hardest worker and gutsiest player on the team. I dont care about his size, no one should be afraid to go get hit in the corner, they are playing HOCKEY, its part of the game. Its ok if you have a crush and are trying to stand up for him but please.

Posted by: ThePat | December 16, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I read on ESPN that the Devils may be looking to trade Jason Arnott. I know he is on the backside of his career but he could be a pretty good rental pickup for the rest of the season. My guess is that the Devils may not even look for too much in return(decent pick and/or decent prospect) as they are just looking to dump salary.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

So If you are a coach what do you work on in practice today?

I say you spend most of your time on special teams. End the game with a some sort of shootout game like the Pens did...If this teams problem is only scoring, I gotta think they can get out of the rut. They played well last night and I am glad BB recognized that and didn'tover react like the people who posted on the boards last night. Then you reinforce with video of what they did right in that game...esp. on D.

Get healthy, get confident, and get going Caps!

Posted by: capscoach

And spare me the lecture on how poorly they played last night, becuase they were defensively responsible, had lots of chances, and now need to improve the PP, PK, and just getting the puck in the net.

I am proud of the way they played (until the last goal) BB may go he may not...but whichever happens I am confident that this team will improve.

Go Caps! Go BB! Go GMGM! you'll figure out what needs to happen.

Posted by: capscoach | December 16, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I read the same thing...and while I hope we could do better than Arnott, I'd gladly take him on this team. As we are in desperate need of a 2C and the one thing he knows how to do is play 2 way hockey.

Posted by: ThePat | December 16, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with a couple posters up top who dismiss the loss because the caps "played better". First, it's not that hard to play better (or at least look better) when you got your a$$ handed to you in the previous game.

Second, there were still defensive breakdowns all over the place. How many times did the Ducks come in wide, fake the shot and cut back in for glorious scoring chances? It was blind luck 2-3 of those chances didn't go in. The score could have been alot worse. Yes, you can argue that the caps could have scored a couple more as well because of posts but those were due to (almost) great shots, tick-tack-toe plays where the D had no chance.

The opportunities the ducks missed were more of a result of poor defense which is the difference.

This team still has a ways to go to be able to compete with the likes of Philly and Pitt.

Lastly, defensemen have learned how to play Ovi. Pressure him as soon as he crosses the blue line. I think the top line has to dump the puck in a bit more and fight along the boards to create chances and not try to rush it in everytime by trying to put the puck between the defenseman's skates.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

i am going against the flow here this morning: i thought the 21-39-10 line was really good and that one developemnt is a good sign, if BB will keep them together. This losing streak demonstrates 2 things: 1) the Caps have no depth at C or Wing and 2) GMGM is the biggest liar on the planet. Surely he doesn't believe his own stupid comments to the press. Hey Katie, do us a favor and ask some tough questions the next time GMGM makes a stupid comment.

By the way, Flash still sucks.

Posted by: doughless | December 16, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

GO BRUINS! Please get BB (and GMGM) fired. We need a coach to get us over the hump and BB isn't the man for the job.

Carlson got schooled on the OT goal, I hope he learned something.

I really like the use of a checking line against the Ducks top line. I wonder if the Caps will try the match-up on the road when the Bruins have the last change. It doesn't work as well.

Posted by: chriscaps | December 16, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Iceman10 | December 16, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

I agree they played pretty well last night. I was happy to see BB matching lines. The 21-39-10 line played like they did in the playoffs a few years ago. BB needs to leave that line together. The only thing I wish is the 83-26-63 line got more ice time. I thought they played well in the first two periods and then didnt get maybe 1 minute in the 3rd period. My theory is if you are calling guys up, play them if they aren't hurting you. And last night that line wasn't hurting us so I think they should have gotten more time.

And on the last goal of the game, Ovi needs to play some Defense. Carlson made Getzlaf curl right into Ovi and Ovi just stood there as Carlson dropped a step back giving a great player just enough space to get off a shot. That can't happen.

Posted by: ThePat | December 16, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Bring back "Flash"! He had a hat trick last night!!!

Posted by: Capitals8 | December 16, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I know that Carlson is very young but I think he's been getting a free pass lately. Carlson seems to be out muscled around the net and is on the ice for a lot of goals. He needs to at least tie up the sticks around the goal.I know he is good and is our future....I'm just saying.....

Posted by: jmcale57 | December 16, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I never got the impression that MP was afraid to get hit in the corner. He seems more than willing to take punishment to try to get the puck.

But you are correct in that his play has usually decreased after the first game or twp after getting called up.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

re: the new defensive mentality

As Chief Seattle said, "The end of living and the beginning of survival"...This team aspires to be Barcelona, to play with flair. I'm not saying it's practical, I'm just sayin'.

@doughless - Flash obviously does not suck. Maybe we should've gotten more for a 30 goal scorer, but hindsight is 20/20. I'd rather we traded Fehr for Hannon, myself..

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 16, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Flash is a) streaky and b) getting top 6 winger minutes c) getting prime pp time. When Stewart and Mueller are healthy for them is he going to keep getting the minutes?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 16, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I didnt mean MP is afraid to get hit in the corner. Whoever stated he isnt afraid to go in there and my point was no one should be afraid to go into the corner that they are playing hockey and its part of the game. So for him to bring up that MP isn't afraid, to me is meaningless as no player should be.

I realize now that I typed fast and was rambling and that probably didnt make much sense when I tried to say it the first time.

Posted by: ThePat | December 16, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

I think that was just a case of miscommunication. Hannan thought Carlson was going to stay with Getzlaf or Ovie was going to pick him up, Carlson rolled off and thought Hannan was going to take Getzlaf, Ovie was covering the pass to the point and thought Hannan was going to take Getzlaf. This caused a slight hesitation which opened up the shot for Getzlaf, who burried it. Those types of things will happen. The Caps should've played it better but no plaer committed an egregious error.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Fehr can go, too. Flash is weak and can be knocked off the puck with a feather. Caps have enough guys cut from that mold. he stands out on a western conference team that has plenty of physical assest. just like in DC, he will disappear when teams start putting the body on him.

keep being a fan, redlit!

Posted by: doughless | December 16, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

No problem.

@doughless

I think it has to be noted that all 3 of Flash's goals came in the 3rd period of a close game with the defending SC champs. Not a bad hat trick. Maybe Flash would've been better to keep than Fehr.

I have to admit that I've been disappointed with Fehr this season. I expected much more of him after last season and finally being fully healthy.

The Caps need a #2C who is a true offensive threat. MJ will be a #2C and probably will be that next year, but he isn't one this year.

I'd be decently happy with Arnott, although I would like for the Caps to ge somebody a little bit better.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"I will be relentless, uncompromising, and sounding like a broken record until the organization puts together a team worthy of the Cup."
Posted by: vermontcaps | December 15, 2010 11:56 AM

Which is why most of us don't read your posts anymore.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 16, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The problem is very simple. The reason the team has had so much success last two years during the regular season was their style of play: offense offense offense! This year they are trying to be more defensive because that is what everybody said was their problem in the playoffs. That style does not suit these players. You dont take a BMW Z4 off road, it was not built to go there....

Posted by: Royalplume | December 16, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

It's disappointing to me to see that the players think their play was deserving of a win. I don't care how you lost, if you lost, you shouldn't think your play deserved a win. They played better than the last game against the Rangers, but I don't think they deserved the win. Their reaction needs to be "Well, we played better, but it still wasn't good enough. We still got beat, so next game we'll just have to play even harder, smarter and all-around better". That's the reaction I want to see.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | December 16, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

sgm3 "This caused a slight hesitation which opened up the shot for Getzlaf, who burried it" I agree with your assessment of the play.
The problem is defence is about commitment and aggression, passive mistakes are never acceptable. When in doubt slide and demolish the puck carrier. It is far better to make an aggressive mistake in the d-zone then let a puck carrier stroll into a shooting area unchecked.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | December 16, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Fleischmann 3, Caps 1. We have officially turned our strength into our weakness. Thanks, George.

Posted by: Bjoad1 | December 16, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cadlecreek1

So being aggressive is very good as long as it is done within the confines of the system. Every team makes similar mistakes to those where two guys are unsure who is supposed to go after a puck handler. Most of the time the shots don't go in. The goal is to make as few of those mistakes as possible.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Guys,

I don't get it anymore. I just don't get it. In the offseason (or preseason) GMGM said he's not going to let five bad days impact his view of the team. He said he thought the pieces were in places, and I assume those pieces were players, personnel, strategy, etc - and that 5 bad days including a flight snafu were not enough to derail his opinion.

Many of us disagreed with GMGM, myself included. But that is what GMGM said/believed.

Here we are months later and this certainly is not the same team as the one that had 5 bad days. The players and personnel have changed, although the personnel are the same. Some of us (again, myself included) think the player changes have been an improvement (although a Belanger or BMo could help) and the strategy change can be better suited to playoff success. But it certainly is different now.

So what is it? Was it 5 bad days, or was it the wrong ingredients? Why say one then act on the other?

anyway, the one change I really wanted to happen is the one that hasn't: the personnel. The sad truth though is that they are the gatekeepers to their own future, unless somehow GMGM finds the 'you know what' that Steckel mentioned to fire BB, or Teddy himself steps up.

Posted by: PSD1 | December 16, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

and by the way, if you/we believe that the team needs to play a different style of hockey to achieve playoff success, then wouldn't the logical conclusion be that you require a different style of coach? Doesn't specialization matter in elite competition?

BB coaching a more defensive game seems like asking an economics prof to teach me Spanish.

Posted by: PSD1 | December 16, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

sorry - in "The players and personnel have changed, although the personnel are the same. "
I meant to say strategy/style instead of personnel.

Posted by: PSD1 | December 16, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

sgm3

"I disagree. If Ovie and Hannan both went aggressive after Getzlaf that would've allowed Getzlaf pass to a wide open player in the center of the ice creating a 2-on-1 in front of the net and probably an even higher percentage shot than the one Getzlaf took."

He would have to complete the pass through 2 players charging at him. I did not say that it would not be a mistake to both attack Getz. I said it is better to make an aggressive mistake in the d-zone then a passive mistake. Either, Hannon or Ovi should have had the responsibility to slide in that instance. Both sliding would be a better mistake then no-one sliding. It seems to be this teams M.O. lately to sit back and watch the play happen, instead of making the play to happen.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | December 16, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@cadlecreek1 @sgm3

That play is on Ovi. I just watched a highlight of it. Carlson kind of gets picked and Getzlaf literally skates to within 5 feet of Ovi and Ovi just stands there. Hannan started to come from the opposite side of the ice but there was no chance he was getting there in time.

Posted by: ThePat | December 16, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cadlecreek1

I disagree because if you make an aggessive mistake then you allow a glorious scoring chance.

I'm not talking about aggressive mistakes in which the offensive player just beats you, I am talking about aggressive mistakes where a defesnive player takes the wrong assignment. Those are horrible and lead to the glorious scoring chance.

If there is confusion on who is to take whom then it is best to play conservative for a second and give the opposing team the lowest percentage shot.

To be aggressive without regard to your own defensive responsibilities will lead to many great scoring chances for the opposing team.

So I like aggressive defense in which a defenseman plays HIS man aggressively. But I do not like aggressive defense when guys go after whomever without any regard to what their defensive responsibilities are.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 16, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

You hurt my feelings....yeah, right. I could care less if you or anyone else reads my posts. I invite you to go through the archives and see what I've written. You can call me Prophet from now on, wiley.....

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 16, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh for goodness sakes SGM3. Just shut up already!!

Posted by: rblatch45 | December 16, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Carlson got schooled by Getzlaf (15). It's not Ovie's or Hannan's fault. Getting beat 4 on 4 leads to a scoring chance. Carlson releases 15 and covers 17 cutting thru. Hannan is late getting over because Carlson screwed up. Carlson needs continue to check 15. Hannan was rotating over to cover 17. Ovie is in textbook position forcing Getzlaf while covering the point man.
Have you guys ever played hockey or even basketball? Breaking off your defensive assignment leads to easy points. If Ovie drops down on 15, the pass goes to Ovie's man, Backstrom moves over to cover the point. The point passes to Perry who moves in now uncovered by Backstrom. Hannan leaves Getzlaf to get Perry. "Perry drives the net, 2-1. Passes to Getzlaf, he shoots he scores! What a great play by the Ducks, DUCKS WIN, Ducks WIN!" If it was that play who are we blaming?
Carlson got schooled by Getzlaf during 4 on 4, Getzlaf converted a good scoring chance.

Posted by: chriscaps | December 16, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse