Posted at 1:16 PM ET, 11/24/2010

Bruce Boudreau: 'Tired is a state of mind'

By Katie Carrera

Coach Bruce Boudreau said he wasn't too concerned with trying to manage the Capitals' minutes tonight in Carolina despite it being the fourth game in six days and Tuesday's tough practice in Raleigh.

"I've always said, or thought, that tired is a state of mind," Boudreau said. "The timing [for the long practice] wasn't where I would have liked it. You would have liked for it to be on a day off when they don't play for three or four days then you take the day off away from them, but it is what it is. It happened that day, and the next day is when you have to prove a point."

A better start may be key for the Capitals tonight against the Hurricanes. Both of the 5-0 shutout losses on the road that Washington suffered stemmed from sluggish first periods that allowed Atlanta and New Jersey to hold three-goal leads after 20 minutes.

"We have to come out hard and try to get a lead," Nicklas Backstrom said. "We have to be focused right away."

Carolina lost its past two games by way of shootouts -- 5-4 to Pittsburgh and 2-1 to Nashville -- but the Hurricanes didn't necessarily play poorly in either outing. The past several meetings between these two Southeast Division rivals haven't lacked for intensity or entertainment.

The Capitals won 3-0 on Oct. 27 in one of their most complete showings so far this season. Asked what the key was to that game, Boudreau said finding a way to contain Carolina captain Eric Staal, who will play his 500th career game tonight. (Hurricanes Coach Paul Maurice will be behind the bench for his 1,000th NHL game when the clubs meet again Sunday at Verizon Center.)

"When he plays against us, he's had feast or famine," Boudreau said of Staal. "When he's the dominant player on the ice they usually have success. I think that's probably the same when he's the dominant force in any game, it runs Carolina. We were very mindful of what he was and where he was on the ice at all times [in the previous game]."

The Hurricanes, who have scored 23 first-period goals this season, know how much of a help it can be to get off to a hot start against the Capitals.

"I don't know if it's crucial but it's nice, especially against a team like [Washington] where once they get one they get two," Staal said. "If you can get on them early and score a couple it kind of discourages their offensive weapons and you want to do that. It doesn't always happen that way but it'd be nice to get off to a good start tonight."

By Katie Carrera  | November 24, 2010; 1:16 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Boudreau, Carolina Hurricanes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semyon Varlamov first off the ice, Poti out
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at 'Canes

Comments

W(where)TF is OUR DOMINANT FORCE!?!?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 24, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

...PAGING THE "BEST PLAYER IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM!"

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 24, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

he's still getting it togethor after a summer of partying, apparently.

Posted by: Hattrik | November 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

or just hold them to no goals in the first. baby steps nick, baby steps.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Game Predictions:

Caps Win 4-1

Ovie - 2 goals
Semin - 2 goals
Fahey - 1 own goal (2 other attempts)
Mike Green - 3 blown tires
Varly - tweaks groin making a save on Fahey
Sloan - 4 hot dogs crushed, 1 order nachos
Bradley - bleeds spontaneously
Hendricks - gets in a fight
Flash - has a mopey look on his face and does nothing
Ovie, Semin, and Varly - get on a 3 way call to talk to Kovy post game, right as Katie is interviewing BB. They all laugh.

You have been told.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 24, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

no, no its not the summer partying hang over ....... he's working on his next dvd. Clearly things like that are far more important than the guy who wears the C showing up for a game.

I said it before and I'll say it again they gave the C to the wrong guy. Can't led a team from the night club.

Oh well back to the slaughter house my cup no longer over flows

Posted by: bqts | November 24, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

from previous post:

not to beat a dead horse here, but what the hell...

do you think "chucklegate" will change ovi in any way? do you think that maybe with the way a lot of people are reacting to this will open up his eyes to how a captain should act?

i'm not saying that he did anything wrong and i'm not that he didn't. me personally, i think it's a little disrespectful to "catch up" so close to where his coach is holding a press conference trying to explain his team's lackluster performanc, but i also don't know the logistics of the situation.

i'm just asking because there seems to be more negative reactions than positive ones. so do you think ovi will see how it could be perceived as disrespectful?

i don't know, the more i type this the more i confuse myself.

bottom line, do you think ovi will adjust how he conducts himself on and off the ice as our captain because of this incident?

Posted by: natresgroup | November 24, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI

Ovie, Semin & Varly, 3 way ????????? LoL where's the goat? There's got to be a goat :)

Posted by: bqts | November 24, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

i think HBO was filming during BB's post game news conference. ovi's a ham anyway - so he was just into making a clip that won't end up on the cutting floor.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes,the party boy (OV) thinks he can slip and slide till the playoffs.This guy and the other usual suspects rather go out after games,not get enought rest and leave it to other teamates to show up.This has been going on for at least two years.Im always hearing about the usual suspects going out late into the night when they should be tucked in.The team culture is such!

Posted by: jp14710 | November 24, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Happy Thanks Giving to all !!!!!

I may not be in the mood to say it later tonight

Posted by: bqts | November 24, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI: Good one there. As it is written, so it shall be.

BTW, if any of you hear any announcer, Joe B, Locker, or maybe the HNiC guys, use the term "Chucklegate," we have ABSOLUTE proof they read it here, since it was invented here, and I doubt seriously was invented simultaneously elsewhere.

Chucklegate. He-he.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 24, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Did people hear what Gretzky said when talking about Stamkos?

Here it is:

"It's one thing to be talented, Gretzky said, but what separates elite players from good players in his mind is the work ethic. He mentioned top players such as Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin and Henrik Zetterberg."

Hmmmm, according to Gretzky(who may know a little bit more than the people on this board) Ovie(and Crosby and Zetterberg) has a great work ethic and that is what seperates him from many other players.

Maybe I should believe the posters who base their conclusions off of a few pictures taken over the course of an entire summer and a short conversation between Ovie and Kovy.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 24, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

jp14710, I suppose you know this because you're such good friends with them you hang out with them in the clubs every night right? For some reason I'm not buying it.

Posted by: AmyS1 | November 24, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Tom. Do I recall correctly--is this the Quintin Laing birthday?

Posted by: tess2201 | November 24, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Well of course Crosby has a strong work ethic. And feel free to back me up on this at any point BigLameSid, but Crosby has too...other wise Papa Mario cuts off his xbox privileges and tapes the dryer door shut. Being grounded stinks, even for Canadian adults living in the basement of another man when you make millions a year.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 24, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I just read about 50 entries over the last few threads about how these Capitals have no heart compared to former Capitals. The Capitals have NEVER won a CUP so using former Capitals like Hunter as an example of heart is crap. Hunter had a definite role, but HE WOULD NOT be the difference between winning a Cup or not if he was on this team. He brought that same heart every year and it never resulted in a Cup and he Captained Caps teams that failed to achieve what was expected of them when they hit the playoffs too. His contributions to the 1998 were negligible at best. I'm sure his pep talks were great but he was not an asset during that playoff run.

So many of you that claim to be fans but do NOTHING but complain about this team are tiring. You don't have to be a blind idiot and accept everything to be a fan. But a fan also doesn't watch a game, basically making notes mentally or on paper so they can run to critique their team in multiple on-line areas. Or sit with their laptop and literally within seconds of a mistake on the ice sending a note to CI. Furthemore neglecting to mention the good things a player does, or say things like "it's about friggin' time" when a player does make a good play. Hate to break it to you guys that constantly have negative things to say, but you really don't like the Caps, there is no way you can. That's like saying you love your wife but continually complaining about her snoring, cooking, cleaning, sense of humor, and appearance, without ever taking time to point out the things you love about her. Yeah Kono, Halpy, Stevens, Dino, and Tinordi were all good former Capitals, they never won any Cups though so please stop putting them out as shining examples of what THESE Capitals need to emulate. Good day. I SAID GOOD DAY! (That's FES)

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 24, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: Amen!

Posted by: tess2201 | November 24, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1:
nice speech. but I think it will fall on deaf ears – or at least clogged ears after a resounding game of ‘bobbing for goat organs’ in a tub of goats blood. i'm guessing that might be one of the games played at the meetings.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The former Capitals I mentioned never won any Cups as CAPITALS, sorry, that was my point. I know Stevens won Cups with the Devils, and if he would have handled himself better away from the rink he might have been a Capital his entire career.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 24, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@natresgroup

I think the deck is stacked against Ovi being viewed as a great Captain because he's a Russian rival to the Canadian establishment and the chosen one Sidney Crosby. Everything he does is under a microscope, while others happily go about their lives. Last season, Pronger called out Mike Richards for partying too much, yet everyone considers him the ideal Captain. Meanwhile, someone mentioned that the Russians hang out at Russia house sometimes and it turned into,"Ovi gets plastered at Russia house nightly. He even flies back on road trips just so his seat at the bar doesn't get cold."

Reality is, none of these guys live the austere lives many believe. They party during the summer, in season, and gasp, even the playoffs. Some guys smoke and/or drink. They miss optional skates during the playoffs (I'm looking at you Mr. Crosby) and they laugh and joke with friends after losses. There human beings; it's not a big deal. It only becomes an issue when someone has an agenda. Unfortunately for Ovi, the mission is to paint him as a bad leader.

Ask yourself, why do we rarely hear about Crosby partying (which he does), missing optional skates, and not talking to the media (which he didn't do after a loss in the Caps series because Blysma said they didn't want to make it about Crosby)from the bloggers and the mainstream media? And why do we only hear about Russia House? What about Front Page or Josephine's where the Caps North American players hang out on a regular basis?

Sorry for the rant. Not a fan of the double standard. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: ablake70 | November 24, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

I agree completely

Posted by: sgm3 | November 24, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

How could you leave out my boy wtf?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 24, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

tess: Yes, it's the Q Laing b-day. Next year I guess is nobody, then Schultzie.

My grandfather made it to Johansson, even if only 4 days, so that's my goal.

fanohock: Been hitting the Kool-Aid hard, eh? :)

Seriously, you have good points. I'm not a goat blood's drinker, fence sitter here, so I see your side and the other. What the Caps lacked back in the lunch-pail days they have now in abundance (skill). What they lack now (grit) they had back then. When I evoke Dino and Tinordi, my point is if we had some of that on top of what we have, we'd be a force. Do you remember watching Ciccarelli play? He'd get cut and slashed constantly. He'd fight in the crease against guys twice his size and he'd hold his ground and score garbage goals with the best of them. How many times did Ron Weber say, "A shot! And a save! Ciccarelli! Rebound, and a goal!" And, with Tinordi, would Crosby be able to set up a picnic table in the crease and have a cup of coffee, stretch and yawn, and then tap one home?

I love the Caps we have I just want McPhee to get off his duff and give us the two or three missing pieces we need.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 24, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

fanohock,

The Caps back in the day were a team that was full of grit that fought for everything they got. They had very few if any pure goal scoring skill guys outside of Gartner and Bondra as good ol' Abe Polin spent his money on the Bulets/Wizards and said the heck with the Caps. If Abe would have spent the money to bring in a couple more scorers in those days the Caps would have already won at least one Cup, maybe more. This team is fun to watch but needs more guys who are willing to pay the price to get it done (more grit). We now have the owner that is willing to spend to get us to the promised land but mgmt for some reason doesn't see the need for those type of players. It is all about balance, the teams back then did not have it as they lacked pure skill and this team does not have it as it lacks pure grit.

Posted by: PhilR | November 24, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

oops, sounds like tominsocal and I pretty much said the same things.

Posted by: PhilR | November 24, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr

I apologize, his subpar play mixed with BB's unwillingness to let the kid play some 2nd line minutes have made me sad for him, so I felt I should leave him off my predictions list. Although...

Fehr - will wrist the puck into Laich's face from 3 ft away, in an attempt to eliminate yet another competitor for his spot on the 2nd line.

Better?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Glad Sloan is out tonight...Fahey doesn't make me feel much better though. All I want for Christmas is a real defenseman and a vet-leader second line center.

@Blake - have to agree with you...Ovi hasn't shown much of a leadership role, mostly due to immaturity. When they get ousted in the first round again...maybe it will force him to man-up.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 24, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

oops, sounds like tominsocal and I pretty much said the same things.

Posted by: PhilR | November 24, 2010 3:08 PM

I knew you were going to say it though.

signed, nostrathomas

BTW: Interesting stats here:

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

I kinda think those earlier teams lack what the caps have now (Offensive Skill) and the current team lacks some of what the earlier teams had (Grit, team defense and/or determination).

I wonder, if one could go back in time and replace Pivonka and Bondra with Backstrom and Ovechkin, how that team would do (No knock whatsoever on Bondra and Pivonka).

I think you just need to ignore the nostalgia if you don't like it. I am hooked on this team because I saw Stephen Leach score an OT goal against the Bruins on Paramount 20 when I was 5. Didn't know what Hockey was before that and the next day I converted my baseball bat to a Hockey stick and never looked back. Also didn't know about TV guide and didn't read yet so I literally spent every night checking Paramount 20 for games (which was ridiculously rare or so it seemed to me at the time). I have the feeling that a lot of these people that look to the "good old days" (their youth) do so because of similar experiences. So just ignore the nostalgic bs.

Oh and yeah I liked clutch and grab hockey. Fight for every inch and watch Mario cry.

Posted by: BorntoHula | November 24, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

And he still doesn't get a spot in the top 6. Those minutes go to DJ King.

lyle-Not my point. I don't think he is any worse than the other young Captains. I think the coverage of his "immature behavior" has been amplified in order to damage his reputation.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 24, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 24, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Crosby bought a new home in May this year.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | November 24, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I think the Caps will rebound nicely from their mini slump! Go Caps Go!

Posted by: PhilW10 | November 24, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Crosby bought a new home in May this year.

Posted by: Dalliquippa | November 24, 2010 3:29 PM

Barbie's Summer Beach House does NOT count. FYI

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 24, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Varly - tweaks groin making a save on Fahey

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 24, 2010 1:36 PM

Too funny, but possible!!!

Posted by: instinct227 | November 24, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

hey fanohock1,

so what the heck has this current group achieved?

All their playoff series went to 7 games and they lost 3 outta 4. yeah this group has more talent, a blind man could see that.

If you can't utilize all that talent and turn it into a playoff succes, what good is having it? That's like having a Bugatti and never driving over 60, what a WASTE!!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 24, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhh, nothing like a spirited debate between goat's blood and Kool-Aid drinkers!

Just remember - it's all red!

I wonder if Fehr is secretly a member of PETA and the puck to Knuble's face was retribution for the sacrifice...GOATGATE!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 24, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Amys1 I have good sources and why do you care unless you do hang out with them.

Posted by: jp14710 | November 24, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Very very few foreigners have made good captains.

Think about it...maybe Lidstrom and Zetteburg (sp?)....

Toronto fans would say Sundin was terrible.

Naslund was aweful in Vancouver...

Ovechkin is terrible for us. Best player in the world, awful leader.

Leadership will sink us. We have all the talent in the world...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | November 24, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

OV is a pretty terrible captain.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | November 24, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

tired? They shouldn't be tired, they only skated hard in one of the last 3 games.

Posted by: jcbolt | November 24, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

based on the last week or so posts around here - i'm thinking goats are real close to being placed on the endangered species list.
caps that will suffer the most: varly's goatlending and knubles sacrificing for goals

but don't worry - there will always be enough kool-aid for everyone - right Ted?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@ SAOTI: Your game predictions were priceless! Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: eric22 | November 24, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I read with interest the posts on "Kovygate" etc. and also was reminded of some news from last year.

Someone else pointed it out also, but last year, I recall reading of another team, whose very young team Captain was spending too much time partying with his buddies from the team and there was quite a bit of discussion on whether they should take the C away from him and give it to a veteran.

Yup, we're talking about Mike Richards of the Flyers. And there was discussion that Pronger should be Captain instead. And guess how old Richards is -- Ovi's age. (His buddies are Carter and the now traded Hartnall.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 24, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1 - Goatgate? hmm, this sound mildly familiar ...I remember browsing the internet back in the 90s ... ... Ahhh nooooo!! damn you internetz damn youuuu!!

Posted by: guer_j | November 24, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

So does Stamkos join the "50/50 club"?

I predict close, but no cigar.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | November 24, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

green and sloan out, poti and fahey in
this could be a high scoring affair tonight

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 24, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Amen, ablake70. I would add that since Ovi's suspension last year, he hasn't seemed the same. But, it's time for him to shake off whatever cloud is hanging over him. Once he gets going, it'll be great.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 24, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

fanhoc

That was a low blow towards Stevens. make no mistake that it was a monster amount of money at the time. The incident in Georgetown never materilized and no charges were ever filed. All four players were exonerated. You do have a point because all four players within two years were not Caps. I do think Abe's sense of morality and judgement probably had something to do with it but I really think it was more of the money issue. How much was the Capitals profit at the time?

Posted by: pkme | November 25, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse