Posted at 3:50 PM ET, 02/ 6/2011

Bruce Boudreau sounds off on Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke

By Katie Carrera

Late in the third period of the Capitals' 3-0 win over the Penguins Sunday, Pittsburgh forward Matt Cooke hit Alex Ovechkin knee-on-knee at the top of the right faceoff circle in the Washington zone. Ovechkin got up and both he and Nicklas Backstrom immediately confronted Cooke and began throwing punches.

Ovechkin played another shift before the contest expired and appeared fine afterward, but Coach Bruce Boudreau didn't mince words when asked about the hit in his postgame press conference.

"It was Matt Cooke. Need we say more? It's not like it's his first rodeo," Boudreau said. "He's done it to everybody and then he goes to the ref and says: 'What did I do?' He knows damn well what he did. There's no doubt in my mind that he's good at it and he knows how to do it. He knows how to pick this stuff. We as a league, we still buy into this [idea] that, 'Oh it was an accidental thing.'"

Colleague Greg Schimmel went to the Penguins' dressing room afterward and got the Pittsburgh take on the hit by Cooke. Both Cooke and Coach Dan Bylsma downplayed the contact.

"I just tracked the puck and he tried to cut back on me," Cooke said. "We clipped skates."

Said Bylsma: "I didn't think much contact was made. Maybe their skates get wound up together. But, you know, Ovechkin was out on the ensuing power play."

By Katie Carrera  | February 6, 2011; 3:50 PM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin, Bruce Boudreau, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green questionable to return against Penguins
Next: Mike Green says he's 'fine now' after getting hit with puck in Caps' win against Pens

Comments

don't whine, get even!!

Posted by: joek443 | February 6, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't think it is whining when a reporter asks a question and you speak your mind. I do think they will get even. This time on the scoreboard, next time in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 6, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't remember Boudreau complaining when Ovechkin did the EXACT same thing to Gonchar a few years back. It was the EXACT same type of play.
He needs to shut his fat yap and go swear some more for HBO.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 6, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe their skates get wound up together." Maybe Roethlisberger "bumped into some girls in the bathroom."

Cooke has no place in the NHL. If Pittsburgh won't do the thing most respectful to the game - fire Cooke - then it's up to the league to take matters into their own hands. Cooke is a danger to other players - ask Marc Savard - and should be forced to look for employment in a league other than the NHL.

Posted by: Matt23185 | February 6, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@joek

did u tell gelason to not whine when Ovie did it to him? Or did u call Ovie out?

Posted by: capscoach | February 6, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@bigdaddy

knee hits have no place in hockey...I called ovie out when he did it to gleason...but Cooke has a STRONG reputation and the hit was obviously intentional...he thought ovie was going to get past him and through out his knee...two wrongs don't make a right

we learned that in kindergarten

Posted by: capscoach | February 6, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Maybe that's why Cooke doesn't play for the Caps anymore.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 6, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Is anybody else having trouble posting to this site today? I have to hit the refresh button several times to see my posts, jeesh!

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 6, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm telling BB to shut his yap and do a better job of protecting his players.

Him calling out Cooke won't do anything but putting DJK in the lineup next time and telling him to do his job WILL do some good.

Posted by: joek443 | February 6, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Bylsma needs to get his glasses prescription checked. Ovechkin was not out there on the ensuing power play after the knee on knee hit. He returned to the ice 2:02 after the hit (game time).

Posted by: FlyersSuck | February 6, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@jeok443

Quit complaining.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 6, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Only curious then, if you were the coach and your best player was hit knee on knee by a player many consider dirty and you were asked about it, you would have just responded "no comment?"

Especially with all the back and forth on Steckel's "hit" on Crosby?

I find that hard to believe. Easy to say here when your job does not depend on wins. I for one thinks he should say something if for no other reason then to make sure the league reviews it.

But that is just the way I roll.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 6, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@jeok443,

What are your thoughts on how the Caps have played the last 2 games?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 6, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that since the Steelers are in the Super Bowl, the announcers will some how find a way to get Crosby's name in the broadcast?

Oh wait, it is on Fox. They don't know what hockey is. If it was on NBC, I bet they would find a way.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 6, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

They very obviously didn't just clip skates... You can clearly see Matt Cooke's leg makes contact around Ovie's knee and their skates are nowhere near clipping each other. If you're a man Matt Cooke and not a little coward you don't make an excuse for it. You intended to hit to hurt, you led with your knee and leg into the hit. There was no need for you to stick your leg out once you knew Ovechkin was cutting inside. That was no accident, own up to it. Your lame excuses just incriminate you further and strip you of any credibility you may claim to have.

Posted by: Jsnoek2 | February 6, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

CTCapsPhan,

If the Steelers end up loosing (which is my most fervent wish) then I think even the Fox announcers may say something like, "well this has been a bad day for Pittsburgh fans, didn't their hockey team loose earlier today?".

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 6, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

gotta love the trash the Yintzers over at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette are talking: http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/empty-netters/25008-penguins-at-capitals-02-06-11

Posted by: sa11231 | February 6, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

No question Cooke should spend at least a game or two suspension -- it was obvious, and at that point in the game Pittsburgh was looking to settle scores, not win the game. Heck, even NBC announcers did not ignore that Cooke led with his leg. Funny, Cooke fled the ice when Brads challenged him . . .

As for Ovi's past . . . (1) he did end up serving a stiff suspension after the hit in the Black Hawks game last year, and many would argue that the suspension is why he is struggling this year, being way too passive and (2) so what? Are you really saying its okay to slew foot or go knee to knee on a player who has done it himself in the past? That's the attitude the NHL is trying to break.

Personally, I think Pittsburgh was beyond frustrated because today brought home how hard it is going to be without Crosby and Malkin. Once hte Caps got up 2 goals, Pittsburgh does not have a goal scorer prolific enough to score two goals in short order. Game was over when the Caps scored hte 2nd goal.

Posted by: haunches | February 6, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Where is DJ King when you need him?

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 6, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

At least Ovi got a shot in on Cooke. And why would anyone doubt that any coach would stick up for their player...on either side of the issue? I'm just glad Ovi was okay and that a few players will soon be back in the lineup. Time to start rolling down the stretch!

And...go Steelers!

Posted by: summitwalker | February 6, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@ Florida,

I think they've played as well as they can play in the last two games, they would have beaten them with Crosby and Malkin in the lineup today.

I saw some comments by Pens' fans on espn yesterday after the news on Malkin's injury broke and a lot of them were saying they will be fine without him. So I asked if they would be fine without him then why pay him over $8M/year???

Posted by: joek443 | February 6, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

While obviously Ovy has had 2 knee-to-knees in his career - there was something very odd about what Cooke did.

It looked like he wasn't being "reckless", but had a chance to get out of the way - and purposefully clipped Ovy.

Long story short, if Steckel has to have some staged fight over that Crosby garbage then Matt Cooke needs a beatdown.

Posted by: CF11555 | February 6, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Very good game. Nice to see the Pens back down from a couple of challenges at the end of the game. Would like to see DJ King for the next Pens game but the Caps played tough and the Pens looked like softies to me by the end (Cooke turning down Bradley and Erskine shaking his gloves looking for a partner). Steckel can't fight but he answered the call (even removing helmet) so props. Was unfortunate that his right arm got all caught up in his jersey otherwise he may have even been able to land a few.

Posted by: BorntoHula | February 6, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@joek443,

But what about their toughness? Do you have any concerns about that? I saw a lot of jump today and a "we will not be denied" attitude. I hope that keeps up.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 6, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

"and through out his knee...two wrongs don't make a right

we learned that in kindergarten"

And a few years later we should have learned the word "threw".

Posted by: soloman5000 | February 6, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Orpik said to reporters in Pittsburgh this past week. "They [The Capitals] don't have a lot of dirty guys on that team, to be honest."
=====================================
True honesty from a player on a team of dirty and whiny players. I guess Matt Cooke was just trying to show Steckel how it should be done. But then Orpik's talent speaks for themselves too as he took target practice against Mike Green's head. I wonder why a team as offensively talented as the Capitals don't take out more "heads" off opponents, but I guess Orpik pretty much explained it in his quote.

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 6, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Penguins fans cry when Ovy does the same exact thing to Gonchar but then get their panties in a wad when Cookie gets called out. Cooke doesn't belong in the NHL. If Ovechkin did that he would have gotten a 5 minute penalty and been suspended. Cooke doesn't add anything to the sport but cheap shots and horrible skills. Cannot wait until he retires. Yet he gets a 2 minute penalty and it took the back ref to even make the call. The NHL is a joke sometimes. Nothing should be run by Canadians obviously.

Cannot wait to watch the Steelers lose tonight so I know the Pittsburgh fans will be crying some more.

3-0!! SUCK IT

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 6, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

In my mind Bylsma clearly out shined Bruce in 24/7. He was professional, fair-minded, a true leader. With me, his stock soared and I found myself wondering what that Caps might be like with a skilled, dedicated strategist. I mean, Bruce had sauce on his face, obviously posed for the cameras a la his days on the set of the film Slap Shot, and dropped f bombs like a middle schooler trying them out for the first time. There was no question which coach was more worthy and deserving of respect.

This all said, I've lost all respect for Bylsma for his "work" leading up to and including this game.

Bylsma (and Crosby) made such an enormous deal over the Steckel hit (that, somehow, sidelined Crosby AFTER Crosby played ANOTHER GAME against TAMPA and got hit by a DIFFERENT PLAYER). And, today, we see a just-called-up minor league player who, prior to today played ONE game the past TWO SEASONS for Pittsburgh, in the game... to fight. Then, per his usual style of play, we see Matt Cooke go after a player, recklessly.

After serving his penalty, Cooke skated to the Penguins bench where he was mat and thumped hard by Matt Bradley. (This happened right in front of my seats and the look on Cooke's face was of "what-did-I-do?" shock.) Cooke, of course, refused Bradley and quickly took a seat where Bylsma, of course, refused to play him again. He kept the minor league thug call up out of harm's way from battling players like Bradley, too.

Bylsma's post game comments about BOTH of these incidents make Bylsma seem more of an amateur doof than Bruce with sauce on his face. (Note: this Washington Post article doesn't mention the Steckel fighter and Bylsma's post game comments.)

It was clear Cooke did more than get his skates "wound up" with another player's and it was cowardly to call up a thug, have him go after Steckel, say the thug had a stake in what Steckel did to Crosby because the thug watched the Winter Classic on TV, and not throw his players back on the ice when guys like Bradley are standing right at Bylsma's bench ready to play "that short of game" with him, his players, the Penguins franchise.

I'm not a big Bruce fan, but I can say this: about 24/7 Bylsma said he would watch his cursing because he worried about what his son would think of him. Keep coaching like this, Dan, and cursing won't matter.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | February 6, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@soloman5000 |

sorry I don't concentrate on grammar when I am blogging hockey...please!

Posted by: capscoach | February 6, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

As far as Bylsma shrugging off the knee hit...well BB probably would have done the same thing. I wish coaches would be honest about their players dirty hits, but it rarely happens

Posted by: capscoach | February 6, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach,

With all due respect, one should always concentrate on one's grammar.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 6, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

But what about their toughness?
----------------------------------------------------

I still think they need another Hendricks.

Posted by: joek443 | February 6, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

JohnWWW -- The Orpik shot on Green was obviously unintentional. Orpok was trying to score, and he has a heck of a shot. Orpik had the decency to skate up to the Caps trainer when the game was over to inquire about his status. Cooke should be suspended for his slew foot but the Orpik shot was a freak accident.

I really hope Green is okay, and that it looked a lot uglier than it really was.

Posted by: haunches | February 6, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Ovie was lucky to miss the brunt of that knee collision. Cooke has 21 fights in 13 seasons, plus he turned down Bradley after he got out of the box, so obviously he wouldn't fight Hendricks or King either.

The only way to round those types of hits from that type of player is supplementary action: fine or suspension.

Posted by: dimagus | February 6, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

bush league play by Cooke - he belongs in the ECHL.

props to Wallace and at least Stex had the huevos to take his lid off in his dust up. More than can be said for Cindy.

gonna be a tough weekend for Pittsburgh.

Posted by: pch49 | February 6, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

But what about their toughness?
--------------------------------
I still think they need another Hendricks.

--------------
Yes, you can always improve any given area. But I liked the way they played today. I wonder how they would do against the Flyers?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 6, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

sorry florida! On here I pay no attention to how I type... I have to be super careful at work and so here I just enjoy myself and type without thinking...sometimes I even get a there/their/they're mixed up if I am really into the conversation :)

Posted by: capscoach | February 6, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach,

Yes, I've noticed that before. So long as you can be understood.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 6, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Caps have played well the last 2 games. I don't think it's any coincidence that Ovi and Backs have led the way. If those produce the Caps win.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | February 6, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I've been watching the Blues/Lightning game on NHL Center Ice. Very entertaining game. We need the Blues to steal this one. The score is 3-3 with just over 2 minutes to go.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 6, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@capshockey2

I didn't think the top line led the way today...they weren't bad...but I also think ovie was sore after blocking that shot.

Posted by: capscoach | February 6, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

the NHL needs to renegotiate its tv contract with ESPN. I'd much rather listen to bad hair Barry Melrose analyze than Milbury. Milbury might the biggest network tool since Jim Lampley.

Posted by: pch49 | February 6, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

As far as the comparison of Bylsma to Boudreau during 24/7 the fact is BB has been a head coach A LOT longer than Bylsma. He only has one more year on his at the NHL level but BB has been a head coach at other levels since the 90s.

As far as how calm, cool, collected, and businesslike Bylsma was please apply common sense. The Pens were a long winning streak until the end of episode three while the Capitals were of course in their worst stretch in 3 years. Easy to remain calm and businesslike when you are winning.

Bylsma looked a little less in control near the end of it because the Pens were not doing as well.

As far as how things were going in the office, well, BB didn't seem to really invite the crews into his office so we really didn't see that aspect of it. You guys can call BB a bad coach and goof if you want but too many organizations have entrusted him their the reigns for me to believe his is an idiot.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 6, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Blues and Tampa are in OT. Hopefully the Blues can steal a point.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 6, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

typical Pittsburgh: dirty play, hometown apologists, and argumentatively illiterate...

Posted by: arioch666 | February 6, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

He needs to shut his fat yap and go swear some more for HBO.

Posted by: BigDaddy65

Yeah, take that! Go back on HBO and swear some more, you big swearer...

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 6, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FlyersSuck

I was at the game. I saw OV on the PP after that hit. He came out a few seconds after they began the PP. I even turned to my dad and said "I guess OV is okay enough to play the PP".

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 6, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Tampa won it OT. They scored on a PP goal with about 10 seconds left. It was a legit call that put Tampa on the PP. Oh well.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 6, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

capscapscaps2
BB had an skin infection around his mouth, not sauce on his face, and he wasn't real happy they put that on the 24/7. Caps win two good ones in arow and people still complaining, One of the reasons I don't post much any more,

Posted by: billd2 | February 6, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Cooke doesn't deserve anything but a beat down next time they play.

Ovechkin was just looking for sympathy. If it was worse, then why was he out for the Power Play?

Seriously. The Caps convincingly won the game! It was a great win!

Like a bunch of you said...Ovechkin did the SAME THING to Gonchar. And we didn't curse Ovechkin when he did it...we (the fans) stood behind him.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 6, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Tampa won in OT' Caps still 3 back of TB.

Posted by: JMinVA | February 6, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin clearly wasn't hurt because he was back out there 2 minutes later. Similarly, I don't think Mike Green was hurt. i mean, he skated off on his own. i think he was faking it. probably a dive.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | February 6, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@BigDaddy651

You good for nothing troll. Fact of the matter is that Ovechkin apologized to Gonchar; Cooke does this type of thing for a living. Since only part of your brain works, try google/youtube marc savard.

Posted by: wcc118 | February 6, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Crosby clearly wasn't hurt, because he skated off on his own after he saw his dive and whiny, lame attempt to get the refs to start the 3rd period of the Winter Classic wasn't going to work.

They are just resting him.

Bylsma and the whole organization are whiners and liars.

Posted by: Staffer27 | February 6, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Crosby clearly wasn't hurt, because he skated off on his own after he saw his whiny, lame dive attempt to get the refs to start the 3rd period of the Winter Classic with a power play for the Pens wasn't going to work.

They are just resting him.

Bylsma and the whole organization are whiners and liars.

Posted by: Staffer27 | February 6, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@soaringcaps and DreamOutLoud

how bad a hit or play is does not depend on if the other guy was hurt or how bad! a knee on knee hit is EXTREMELY dangerous...u could easily end a players career! I don't care if Ovie got up from that hit ran off on a breakaway and scored...it was dirty AND intentional!

@dreamoutloud

I assume you are being sarcastic since if not that would be the dumbest comment I ever heard...please tell me u r jokeing about Green.

Posted by: capscoach | February 6, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

the 2 of yew knead to back off on criticizing capscoache's grammar/spelling unless of course you are prefect and have never maid a mistake - for gods' sake - it is a hockey blog

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 6, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Bylsma made the same idiotic "clipped skates" comment.

So what color is the sky in their world because :58-1:00 on that clip and please tell me where the skates make any contact?

Posted by: CapsNut | February 6, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Yes it is... but she is a teacher of your children.

Posted by: rblatch45 | February 6, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

and your point is?

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 6, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope we let it go. It wasn't a clean hit but it certainly didn't look intentional. If we hold this grudge we're no better then Crosby inferring that hit from Steckel was on purpose.

Posted by: Dirtbag359 | February 6, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

sorry rblatch...but even teachers deserve a place they can go to without having to care about grammar and sentence structure...I know u don't usually like my posts...but don't attack me on things unrelated to hockey.

Posted by: capscoach | February 6, 2011 8:44 PM | Report abuse

The Pens pulled the same spoiled-brat, sore-loser antics ....

Cooke resorted to his usual dirty tactics and when (as Pierre McGuire pointed out on the air) Matt Bradley challenged him to a fight while his line was still on, he left the ice. Then Hendricks wanted a piece of Connor and Byelsma pulled him off the ice.

Typical .....

Posted by: CapsBurns12 | February 6, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billd2

You probably believe the Redskins have 200,000 people on a waiting list and that Susan O'Malley never s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d Bullets attendance figures, too. Also: I wasn't complaining about Bruce. I was making the point that the Pens coach became quite BUSH LEAGUE, especially in comparison to the image he created for himself on 24/7.

Post whenever you wish, billd2, but please READ before you post response pieces.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | February 6, 2011 10:45 PM | Report abuse

CROSBY, meet Mike Green!

Posted by: tcs1999 | February 6, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

cr@ppy day for Pittsburgh fans. i love it!

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | February 6, 2011 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Cap fans...enjoy another regular season win. Your boys will gack it up in the playoffs as has become a springtime tradition.
As for Cooke...he's the type of player you love for your own team but hate to play against.
His hit was no worse than Ovechkin's on Gonchar(and also didn't result in an injury as Ovie's did).
We all knew something was going to happen after the Steckel hit on Crosby anyway. This should end it on both sides and they can get back to playing hockey now.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 6, 2011 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Xmas in February ! Caps beat the Pens and the Steelers lose the Super Bowl ! Wonder if all the 'Burghers in DC will have their Pens/Steelers flags out for the morning commute :-)

Posted by: MadCap1 | February 6, 2011 11:33 PM | Report abuse

don't worry capscoach. since bletch didn't respond to my question, I think it is pretty obvious that he had no point other than to be annoying.

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 7, 2011 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey, BigDummy651:

Steckel hit wasn't "a hit."

Cyndy skating blindly, causes his own collision, and then lies on the ice whining for a call to start the 3rd period.

That was a typically whiny, and conscious move by Cyndy which indicates any "concussion" happened at a later date.

As for Cooke, he is not even a talent and isn't worth a minor penalty. I'd rather have Sean Avery on my team.

Posted by: fakedude2 | February 7, 2011 12:30 AM | Report abuse

its amazing that you Pens db's dont have anything to say until your team loses. Then the whining starts. Fact of the matter is that the Caps SHOULD have beaten the Pens with Crosby and Malkin out. Just like the Pens should beat the Caps if Ovechkin and Backstrom were out.

As for the Matt Cooke incident...I don';t think it was intentional. He's a dirty player and a Wuss (since he wouldn't stand up and fight like a man) but his hit on Ovie was in the heat of the game. All of us Caps fans need to recognize that.

It is funny how you Pittsburgh fans make fun of us Cap fans for whining and yet are the first ones to post your excuses and BS as soon as you lose a hockey game.

We aren't afraid of you. I hope we meet in the 1st round. Eventually, the Caps will win the series agiasnt you in the playoffs. Keep running those traps. Enjoy it while you can.

And don't hate us because our best player is not soft like your best player. You will just have to live with that.

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 7, 2011 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey coach a-Bysmal: so the cheap shot is "OK' just because it didn't injure Ovie? Hitler was right: you're a s***.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | February 7, 2011 2:56 AM | Report abuse

There is a Big difference between knee-on-knees Ovi had and the s&*$ Cooke is doing.
Difference is in intention to hurt.

Even so, Ovi eventually got his high-paid ass handed to him in the way of a knee injury and a suspension. Now he stopped that recklessness and places only good solid open-ice hipchecks.
There must be a message for Cooke as well, that this crap must be stopped. Will this suspension be issued by the league or by an enforcer doesn't really matter.
Besides, Cooke can make big guys lose big money targeting Ovi - shall we ask russian mafia to issue a suspension for Cooke? :-)

Posted by: Michael01a | February 7, 2011 4:27 AM | Report abuse

This is definitely a different tone from Boudreau than when Ovechkin hit Sergei Gonchar knee on knee in the playoffs a few years back. And, when Matt Cooke, then of the Caps, put Vincent Lecavalier out for the year with a cheap shot which required shoulder surgery.

Posted by: Capex | February 7, 2011 6:51 AM | Report abuse

god, i love how jmurray capitalized "Wuss".

Posted by: bryan4967 | February 7, 2011 9:23 AM | Report abuse

100% chance DJ King gets a sweater in Pittsburgh.

Posted by: padre123 | February 7, 2011 9:46 AM | Report abuse

He needs to shut his fat yap and go swear some more for HBO.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 6, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse
==========================

You are totally clueless!!
The Gonchar hit was NOTHING like last nights hit!
Gonchar initiated the contact when he tried to avoid Ovechkins check.
Cook stuck his knee out because he had taken a poor angle and Ovechkin made a move past him.

Posted by: dkidwell61 | February 7, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

-----------------

Keep dreamin', buddy. Cookie's gonna pay.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | February 7, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I say break cookes leg or jaw and take a 10 game suspension.

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | February 7, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Timbo_1,
What are the Caps' going to do...not shake his hand when the Pens win yet another series in the playoffs versus the Caps?

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 7, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

People. Alex needs to line up next to Cooke in Pittsburgh, call him out and do a Gordie Howe on him. Then skate to the box saying "This is how we fix things in Russia". Seriously, did you see Shultz slash Cooke afterwards? Now if Shultz fights, that would be special.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | February 7, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Are you people stupid or just as blind as the ref’s? Yes there was Knee-to-knee contact, But look again at who’s legs were underneath them? COOKE not O-veckjerk. Just ask Gonchar or Tim Gleason or Dennis Wideman even Brooks Opik in Game 4. So if you want to call out a dirty player then better start with the Great KNEEDY one number 8. He has a big habit of “getting hit in the knees”.

Posted by: letsgopens2 | February 10, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse