Posted at 2:26 PM ET, 12/16/2010

Bruce Boudreau's mom not happy with his cursing on HBO's '24/7'

By Katie Carrera

Coach Bruce Boudreau said he opted to not watch HBO's "24/7" series on the Capitals and Penguins last night -- "It's probably one of those things that you'd watch if you're on a 10-game winning streak, but we aren't," he said -- but there was a clip of one of his locker room speeches that aired on TSN this morning.

And Boudreau's mother, Theresa, who is in her mid-70s and lives in Toronto, caught the excerpt. She was none too happy.

"My mom already called me about how many F-bombs I used," Boudreau said. "It was a passionate speech. It wasn't anything that I'm sitting there and manufacturing up the word just to say the word. When you're talking with passion, I'm not sure what's coming out of my mouth, quite frankly. I know the ideas, but that's what came out."

New York Jets Coach Rex Ryan might be able to sympathize. After the premiere of HBO's "Hard Knocks" series this summer, Ryan said his mother called and told him she was disappointed in his language.

By Katie Carrera  | December 16, 2010; 2:26 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Boudreau, HBO 24/7
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander Semin out with lower-body injury
Next: Capitals acclimating to HBO presence

Comments

He said his mom called him out on how many f-bombs he used. You take that and run with that headline? Give me a f'ing break Katie.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 16, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, am thrilled to see the focus on BB's antics rather than the losing Caps. Is it just me or was the show really depressing? Every time they introduced the Pens, they talked about their winning streal and Crosby's triumphs; and every time the camera shifted to the Caps, they would preface the segment with their winless streak or Ovi's drought. I never thought that we would be pitted against our arch rivals when we were low and they were thriving.

So I was SO relieved this morning to hear that BB had become an Internet sensation and the topic of media attention. Keep it up BB.

Posted by: caraveli | December 16, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@Barno1 What, the sports page can't occasionally publish humor?!

Boudreau gets a call from his mum telling him off about swearing? I laughed my butt off!

Funstuff, Katie!

Posted by: irockthered | December 16, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was a pretty funny headline...have a sense of humor people~

Posted by: capscoach | December 16, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Really, lighten up dude.

Posted by: Justafan | December 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I wish his mom had yelled at him about his run and gun, offense first defense be damned style, that is only exacerbated by his sheer arrogance and smugness and propensity to field charmin-soft teams.

Doesn't make for a short headline though.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 16, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"Give me a break. That headline is very misleading and it's sad that the Post has put that on its sports homepage. You media jerks have no shame.

He said his mom called him out on how many f-bombs he used. You take that and run with that headline? Give me a f'ing break Katie"

---

This is sports, sports is serious business. There is no humor in sports!

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 16, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Mom said "clean up your language young man, and besides you and that other whippersnapper...uh...Katharine McPhee's big brother, should have gotten a 2C and a D-man last summer! If you were here you'd be picking a switch off the forsythia bush right now and getting throttled! I knew you were getting too big for your britches when you blamed everything on that nice boy who played goaltender for Montreal"!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 16, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 - what offense?

I swear (no pun intended), it's like people have never participated in or been exposed to competitive athletics before. News flash (again no pun!) - there is occasional foul language in locker rooms and on playing surfaces.

What struck me the most on 24/7, and what was most alarming, was how eerily quiet the Caps locker room was when BB wasn't in it. Our guys are awful silent. I wish we had some (any) vocal leaders who would speak up and say what needs to be said. Might be more effective coming from a respected teammate than a lame-duck coach.

Which leads me to my next point - isn't that, in part, the role of a captain? I love Ovi, don't get me wrong, and I thought his fight against Dubinsky was epic (loved them exchanging "Good job buddy" quotes while laying on top of each other, and loved Ovi revving up his bench with "Effing come on for eff's sake!") But I want more from him - on the ice with better play, and in the locker room. Wouldn't hurt for him to take the ice for an "optional skate" every now and then too. Isn't it about time we remove the "option" by the way?

Posted by: mjw4m | December 16, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 - what offense?

Posted by: mjw4m | December 16, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

haha, true dat

the team's response to Ovy's fight was very weak. At that point they should've engaged the Rangers physically any chance they got. And at least walked out of there knowing they won the physical battles. Besides Hendricks who seems to understand what to do in that situation, the rest of the team was pretty timid.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 16, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 - what offense?

Posted by: mjw4m | December 16, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The Caps need a 2nd line center BAD.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 16, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

only if they brought Joe Sacco in to coach. He seems like he coaches some competitive hockey. His team plays hard. Sacco for as much as he was maligned here to me was the 2nd hardest working forward we had under Wilson. Kono gets the nod over him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 16, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe they could work out a deal with Colorado for that Fleischmann guy. He's got 10 points in his last 7 games."

---

That fleischmann guy is a winger, not a center. We have finesse wingers coming out of our ears, what we need are centers and a coach who values basic hockey principals like cycling the puck and checking.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 16, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. I posted last night as the show was airing that what struck me most was the way Ovi just sat there with a blank look.

The impression I have is when they win, Ovi is the most loud, jovial person you can find. When they lose though he just clams up. My daughter is a clinical psychologist, maybe she can explain. Watch the tape though Ovi has first seat inside the locker room and he just sits there expressionless.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 16, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 |

That's exactly what I look like when I watch Caps games.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 16, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@mjw4m - this guy would say what needs to be said - put him in the locker room:

Posted by: capsfansince74 | December 16, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing what Flash (or any forward for that matter) can do when they know who their linemates are for a stretch of games instead of figuring out who's on their line from game to game.

Posted by: BBDwrestling | December 16, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

And exactly what I look like when I read these comments.

Posted by: jeets | December 16, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

BB's speech forced. In my experience, coaches who were that angry to drop that many f bombs had that possessed by the devil, want to kill everyone in the room vibe. BB's speech seemed to lack real emotion. Maybe that's just the Canadian way.

Another thing I noticed was that Sidney Crosby's leadership skills didn't shine through my TV screen. He didn't seem to very vocal. In fact, it seemed natural that he faded into the background.

The best line in the entire show was when the narrator said all the guys on the Pens knew their roles. I think this is the biggest issue with the Caps.

Despite what the NHL media want people to believe, the Pens do not live and die by Crosby. When he's not playing well (or at all) the Pens manage to win. When Bylsma became HC, Crosby missed 8 games and the Pens won them all in a convincing manner. And we all know what happened in the SC finals.

Contrast that with the Caps. I hate to say it, but the Caps look more like the Washington Ovechkins than an actual team. Most of them appear lost now that Ovi's in a slump. IMO, Ovi's dominance and a few under-appreciated vets covered the deficiencies in the system. The Caps won't go far if this continues

Posted by: ablake70 | December 16, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

really strong point ablake. That team doesn't sink or swim with Crosby. They added enough strong role players around him that he doesn't have to be a leader in the sense of carrying that team. He's just a piece of that team, which plays as a team, so they don't miss an individual piece to the extent that it cripples them when that piece is out of the lineup.

And that's why when the Pens hit the playoffs esp over their 2 Cup appearances, it wasn't easy to tell which line was the checking line, which line was a scoring line etc. Every line seems to be buzzing around the ice. When you're truly playing as a team, you end up having to check jersey #s to figure out who's on the ice because each line carries the flow almost evenly.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 16, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

We need some Flash

Posted by: sgm3 | December 16, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Nice to see some humor in the sports section. Keep it up Katie!

Posted by: gnou90 | December 16, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Fear not Mrs. Boudreau if the team continues to slide, and I have my way, your son Bruce will soon have plenty of free time. Then you can console him for being fired and work on his language skills...Win win. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 16, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I dont think the caps revolve all around OV. OV wasnt tearing up the league in October and November but before we went on this 7 game skid, we had the best record in the league.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | December 16, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau is hilarious, though for me not in a good way. Very comical, though.

Curious about his effectiveness, the locker room looks dead as if they don't care, and I don't know if Boudreau is relating to anyone, especially his captain.

Posted by: UpNorth6 | December 16, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for Mrs. Boudreau. My mother has never heard me cuss. Even in my own house I'm not supposed to say that stuff. If I'm walking barefoot and smash my toe against the metal leg of a coffee table for ex the most I can get away with is "FOOOOOK!"

The maddest I ever heard my grandfather get he said, "Oh, sugar!" I guess he couldn't have coached in the NHL.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 16, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

We need some Flash

Posted by: sgm3

Give me a break, that ship has sailed.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 16, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by cstanton1

Excellent point. I've never seen this with the Caps.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 16, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Nice to see some humor in the sports section. Keep it up Katie!

Posted by: gnou90

here's some more humor for ya!

----------------------
We need some Flash

Posted by: sgm3
----------------------

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 16, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break, that ship has sailed.

Posted by: Steve_R

more like a dinghy I'd say.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 16, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse