Posted at 3:09 PM ET, 12/ 1/2010

Scott Hannan makes his practice debut for Caps

By Katie Carrera

Scott Hannan took part in the typically grueling scratches skate run by the Capitals' assistant coaches during his first day with the team. It's a scenario the veteran defenseman hasn't usually found himself in over recent seasons, as he's missed just two regular season games since the 2008-08 season.

But although Hannan will spend tonight watching his new team take on the Blues and soaking up as much of the Capitals' game as possible, he's not worried about being able to adapt to Washington's system.

"I don't know if there's a tough way or if you've just got to read the play. I think that's one of my strengths, being able to read the play," Hannan said. "You can have your systems, you can have your things, but sometimes when you get out there, things break down and you've got to be able to read and see what goes on on the ice.

"I think I'll be able to fit in pretty good as far as any system. We used to play a system similar in San Jose at times, in Colorado it was a little bit different...but I can learn quickly."

Hannan said when the Avalanche approached him to waive the no-trade clause in his contract Monday night, he and his family took the night to mull over the option but decided it was time to move on from Colorado. His wife and 10-month-old son, Gage, will be joining him in Washington as soon as possible.

Several questions in today's live Q&A asked whether Hannan, nearly 32, could still carry the load that he did as a younger player.

Hannan averaged at least 20 minutes of ice time since 2000-01, but through 23 games with Colorado this year saw that number drop to around 18 minutes per game. Although he no longer fit with the Avalanche's plans, Hannan believes he can still be relied upon to play 20 minutes or more a night.

"I feel like I can still play a lot of minutes, play a lot of tough minutes against top lines," Hannan said. "It's what I've been doing my whole career, I look forward to that challenge every night and it's something that I want to be put in that position."

With the Capitals flying to St. Louis shortly after news of the trade for Hannan broke Tuesday, the first time Coach Bruce Boudreau had a chance to talk about the move was this morning just as the team hit the ice here.

"You look at what our goals are -- and who knows if we can achieve them; we're going to try -- but you need depth on defense," Boudreau said. "We just think that this is a solid defenseman, a defender that can play, and if you want to go far in the playoffs you need those kind of guys. It gives us great depth at a position I don't think we had great depth at."

This trade was a personal one for Boudreau, who was close with Tomas Fleischmann after having coached the Czech forward either in Washington or in Hershey since the 2005-06 season.

"It got fairly emotional in there," Boudreau said of his discussion with Fleischmann after he was informed of the trade. "He was the main factor that helped us win the Calder Cup that year. He came from a team the year before that he didn't get much ice time [on], didn't produce to a team where he was the best offensive forward, maybe in the American Hockey League. He helped carry the Cup. Ever since then, we've had a great relationship, been able to talk to each other and all of these things."

By Katie Carrera  | December 1, 2010; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Boudreau, Scott Hannan, St. Louis Blues, Tomas Fleischmann
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scott Hannan will watch in St. Louis, play in Dallas
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Blues

Comments

Yes, godspeed, Tomas! He competed, he tried, he wasn't everything all the fans wanted but he did his best and was definitely was part of the turnaround. I do wish him well.

The cooler heads here I think see the situation for what it was: he was on offensive winger on a team loaded with them, and he was not really able to function as a center (although his stats were not bad, +- wise, I don't think).

A trade of a serviceable and hard working spare part for another. He's an NHL player.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | December 1, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi: Exactly. Fleischmann simply was too far back on the Washington depth chart to play the position and skillset he's most suited to. Let's face it, Washington has seven or eight guys that would be top line forwards on half the teams in the NHL. They just have that many weapons. This trade is in the Caps' best interest (need for defense) and in Flash's best interest (opportunity to play in a role that suits him).

I don't think Fleischmann deserves a lot of the rap he gets from the fans on CI and elsewhere. He's a legit NHL forward with some issues on the defensive side of the puck, suited to a top-six wing role, and with all the injuries that Colorado has right now, he could be a real boon to their power play. I wish him the best of luck in Colorado and hope he kills it against everyone except the Caps.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Let me second @RedLitYogi's comments before the snide remarks from the lower functioning posters chime in. Flash has skills and hopefully he'll put them to good use (on nights aside from 12/11).

Posted by: Justafan | December 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi

Well said.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Even after two years of this, I still can't get used to seeing players go. All the best to you, Flash!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | December 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Flash. hope you get in the groove and get to 25 or more.

Posted by: billd2 | December 1, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

If you watched Flash in the '06 playoffs for the Bears, you'd understand why Bruce liked him so much. Most of the haters probably didn't watch a single Bears game that year, if ever. That being said, I still like the trade for Hannan. This move was good for everyone.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 1, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Sorry it didn't work out flash but hey, you had some big shoes to fill and were a small fish in a big pond of scorers. Enjoy those snowy peaks.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | December 1, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I would love to be the first to post a snide remark but, I thought Flash was a good player during the regular season. He was a no-show during the playoffs. The Caps traded a a good wing for a good d-man. This trade helps both teams. IMO Flash will do well with the Avs. The real trade was Hannan for Sloan/Fahey, now that is a great trade!

Posted by: chriscaps | December 1, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

How did this post become the official Farewell Flash section.

Shouldn't it be the welcoming of Hannan Montana to our team?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

OK, now that he's gone, Flash love flows like the Mississippi after the snow melts.

What he did for the Bears five years ago is meaningless. McPhee did a good thing to break up the Flash/BB relationship.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Flash's time with the Caps was coming to an end at the end of this season. He was seeking over $3 million a year last year. He was not going to offer a hometown discount in contract negotiations either.

With Semin, Laich and others contracts coming up at the end of the year as well, he was going to me the odd man out anyways. Basically, Flash was destined to follow the same footsteps ShaMo took leaving the Caps.

As most have agreed, this trade was good all parties involved.

Posted by: puckman | December 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Well therein lies the point that matters: he was a 'no-show' in the playoffs; granted, there were more than a few that seem to disappear during last year's playoffs. Also, I really don't think it matters how great you were with the Bears; we've all seen plenty of players play great football in the college ranks but can't make the transition to the pro game. Flash may prove beneficial to an offense-focused team (other than the Caps... we have plenty of offensive juggernauts), but the Cap's needs were greater in the gritty, defensive arena. Good luck to him, but I for one will not miss him giving up/losing the puck if anyone so much as breathes near him.

Posted by: HokieSkin | December 1, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"What he did for the Bears five years ago is meaningless."

In what sense? To you, maybe. To others, well that is up to them to judge.

It wasn't meaningless to BB, Flash, Flash's teammates at the time, opponents who faced the Bears, fans of the Hershey Bears or fans of the opponents of the Hershey Bears.

On that note, a person could reasonably state that what Toews did for Chicago last year is meaningless. To that person it may be 100% true, but to others it may not be.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Let me make it clear, I am glad to see Flash go, especially for what we got (Hannan), whom most of you never heard of until yesterday! I was making a point about why I thought BB was so loyal to him.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 1, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, am heartened by the humanity of the sadness felt in parting with Flash from Bruce and even GMGM. He is still a very young player, full of promise, and has been a great contributor for the organization, although mainly at the AHL level. I DID see the games in Bruce's Calder Cup campaign, and Flash was a force of nature that year for him and Hershey.
Good luck in Denver, Flash.

Posted by: pcalver1 | December 1, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

sgm: You are taking analness to a new level.

What a guy did five years ago in the minors is not nearly the same as what he did in the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs last year.

OK, let me rephrase - what he did at Hershey five years ago has almost no meaning now just like Fehr did in the WHL has no meaning. At a certain point, the promise no longer counts and it's "what have you done for me lately."

I really don't think I should have to point this out.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

If you are saying what Flash did 5 years ago in Hershey will have little to no impact on how much he improves from here on out, then I would agree.

If you say what Flash did 5 years ago in Hershy is meaningless, then I strongly disagree with you.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

More Flash love here!... well, that's enough.

Posted by: guer_j | December 1, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

tominsocal,

Best walk away from that argument unless you're prepared for endless hair splitting and no resolution.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 1, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_R

Yes, in a medium where there is no tone of voice or facial expressions to help determine what a person is saying, I take posts at their written word. If someone wnats to convey a different meaning to their statements than what is clearly written then they should clearly express that.

tominsocal1 stated that what Flash did for the Bears five years ago was meaningless. Those were his exact words.

How else should I have taken his comment except to mean that what Flash did for Hershey five years ago was meaningless?

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Some people hated Fleischmann--I get that--but I was not among them.

I understand why he (Flash) had to go, but I still wish we had gotten BXӘ instead...I guess we'll see, eh?

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 1, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

You guys are funny

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 1, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

IMHO everything that has happened (or will happen) in the NHL since the dawn of time is meaningless until Ovie hoists the Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: allCAPS | December 1, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I'm with you on Flash, as a Caps fan I don't really care what he did in the minors (just as I could care less what O's prospects did w/the Bowie Baysox).....you'll have to forgive sgm3 as he still think Alzner's captainship in the juniors qualifies him for automatic ice time in the NHL, too

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

What Flash did five years was meaningless compared to what he did in Sunday night's game as to how you project him going forward.

I'm sure what he did was meaningful at that very moment. The guy who unclogged my grandparents' toilet in 1938 was meaningful at the time too. At least to my grnadparents.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

In PROFESSIONAL sports it's what have you done for me lately? 5 years ago at a semi pro level means absolutely nothing. Sorry, just the facts. Eminger was the second coming of in juniors, now he keeps a suitcase packed in preperation for his next trade.

Either way best of luck to Flash...

Posted by: FLDave | December 1, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I personally think that the unclogging of any toilet within a quarter mile of my location, at any given moment, is meaningful.

ALL OTHER TOILETS ARE MEANINGLESS!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 1, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@FunkyGloveFacewash:
Blanketed statements such as "...especially for what we got (Hannan), whom most of you never heard of until yesterday!" make it sound like most of us are newbies at watching the NHL.

I would bet most here (who post during *cough* work hours *cough*) are like me that look at capgeek, nhl.com, hockeydb.com, prosportstransactions.com,, tsn.ca/nhl and others for news and stats... alot more than we should!

saying that is kinda of an insult to alot of people on here!

I'll end on humor:
Not a sermon, just a thought!
brought to you by the church of jesus christ, latter day saints

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 1, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps

No vermontcaps, I said it was a good indication that Alzner has heart, approaches the game with heart and plays with heart.

But I do think Alzner is leaps and bounds a better player than Erskine is now and will be a significantly better player than Erskine will ever be.

This isn't to say that Erskine doesn't have heart. I actually think Erskinse has plenty of heart and always gives a full effort when he plays. Unfortunately Erskinse just doesn't have much talent.

Luckily, Alzner has both.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@Hunterforcoach

here's some love for you: "Hunter and his brother Mark have a great situation in London; they own a highly profitable and successful franchise in a fairly new arena so it will take an ideal opportunity for Dale to pick up and leave. That said, many think he'll be coaching in the NHL sooner than later" (The Hockey News, latest edition)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to Flash. God I hated having to watch him play. Should never have brought him back, thank god we were able to rectify that.

I am excited about Hannan. We needed: Dman, North American, Veteran, Team Leader, we got them all in one player. Well done.

Just one more player, and we are the team to beat.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Just one more player, and we are the team to beat.

Posted by: underpants2

Thankfully we didn't get Lidstrom as that would not have met all of your requirements.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

i do appreciate and respect your passion and love for the sport in general, the Caps in particular. You think we need Alzner's "heart" and skill (of which we have plenty skilled dmen), I think we need Erskine's determination and toughness (which no one else on the backline provides)...as for Erskine's talent, he's got more than enough to satisfy holding down the 6th spot w/12-18mins ice time per game....I'm having a hard time thinking of a team that wouldn't want Erskine in their lineup, but I guess here he's just chopped liver

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Just one more player, and we are the team to beat.

Posted by: underpants2

Posted by: sgm3

Lidstrom would be ok, he plays like a North American.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 1, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

FrankM73

I have Center Ice and get my money's worth! I have watched Hannan over the years and he is not a 'stand out' player. He reminds me of an Erskine type without the physical element. Plays well positionally, blocks shots with the best of them, nothing about him stands out yet he gets the job done.

Posted by: FLDave | December 1, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Flash in Colorado. I hope he fits in well and is re-signed there.

Posted by: alanb1 | December 1, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

just wondering, who was paired and on the ice w/Erskine the night he had to confront Bfuglyin after he ran our goalie?? that instance alone demonstrated why Erskine needs to be in the lineup, and not dressed after the fact to try to show teams we wont be bullied

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Sorry FrankM73 and anyone else that was insulted by my comments. I was just responding in a like manner to comments to my post about BB's loyalty to Flash. Everyone (but you)seems to have jumped on sgm about MY comments which were merely pointing out why I could see BB trying to give Flash every opportunity at the NHL level.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 1, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave:

I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of Hannan.

I find it most comforting that Avs posters in forums and blogs are none too happy about losing their best Defensive D-man, even when getting Flash back, whom they seem to very much like.

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 1, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Good bye and good luck, Flash. At least he was traded to a good team (and one where he should have a decent role).

I agree with the trade. I had been figuring that he would be the logical person to trade for a 2nd pairing caliber defenseman and that's what we essentially got in Hannan. (People here might disagree on where he ranks in the actual pairing but, in any case, he can certainly do more for us than a d-man who's a spare part and can do some PK so Green doesn't have to do as much of it.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

@FunkyGloveFacewash:

no worries bud! I wasn't insulted, just thought it a bit pretentious to state, but it's all good! I type stuff that when I re-read it I go "dangit, that sounds arrogant!"

We're all just passionate hockey/caps fans and just want to see that cup raised ASAP...

I would imagine that BB did want to see Flash succeed and probably gave him more than his fair share of chances. Do I have proof? no! Is it a bad thing that BB gave him more? Not at all! Why? if he hadn't, then Flash wouldn't have netted us Hannan this season. ;-) It's all perspective!

Eerything will be just fine once we win the cup... that is, until the next pre-season, when people complain... Again! LOL

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 1, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what channel the game is on tonight? I know it's CSN+ but for Comcast in VA, what's the channel number?

Posted by: REST0NCAPSFAN | December 1, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you guys can turn anything into a fight. I'm truly impressed. No, really. (/snark)

I'm also (genuinely) impressed by the fact that most commentors had the class to say something nice about Flash's departure. Too bad it wasn't everyone, and if you didn't, you know who you are.

We'll see Erskine again. Injuries do happen. We now have 8 D, which is a luxury because it means we can rest those who might not be 100%.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 1, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

FunkyGloveFacewash

I didn't take your post as offensive. Hell if I had watched him perform like he did I might be more loyal to him than I've been. However, I did not 'see' it and have based my judgement on what I have seen which is iffy at best.

Now that he's been traded he will in typical Capitals style excel beyond our wildest dreams. The old joke amongst Caps fan was something like "How do you turn an under acheiving Caps player into an All Star? Trade him!"

Posted by: FLDave | December 1, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

I have to agree with you on your Lumberjack position. Although Erskine will only be a 5/6 defenseman, he has played well this year (healthy) on a consistent basis and has the chops to be the grittiest on the team (except maybe Hendricks). He has a place on this team and it is valued. Away with the Erskine haters!

Posted by: AADCDERM | December 1, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73: I'd rather people complain, in some ways. When people don't have enough to complain about, they turn on each other in the most spectacular case of middle-school drama you ever did see. It's not pretty.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 1, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz

Erskine has been our most consistant D man so I would be shocked if he is rotated. Hannan does NOT bring the physical element Erskine can. This team is soft enough, Erskine needs to be in the lineup EVERY game. Rotate Hannan out if need be.

Posted by: FLDave | December 1, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

CF75: I agree. I think McPhee might have done this trade earlier if not for the salary cap consequences. Actually sgm has been pointing out that the most logical time for a deal was when the dominoes started to fall from the teams that are/were over the cap, but protected (temporarily) by the LTIR. Well, that started when Boston traded that young d-man to the Avs. So the Avs then with an extra d-man move Hannan for Flash. There should be more of this when Marco Sturm and Sammy Salo come back. I don't know if it will be an opportunity for caps to do more, but we have enough space at say the 41-game mark to acquire $3M in contract growth prorated to half the season. This could mean, for instance, Erskine and a pick for Bieksa. (Sorry, vermontcaps, just an example.) Or it could be Eric Fehr and a pick for Krejci. Many possible moves.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

Simply put, Erskine deserves better than being an injury fill-in. It's just too bad he didn't play for BB in Hershey because his ice time would be guaranteed

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Would people take Krejci if we had to give up Eakin and a #1 pick? Would Boston do that? They might be stuck to have to do something.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | December 1, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz:
That's actually a very good point... good call on that!

@tominsocal1:
good point on the LTIR affecting Boston... GMGM said in the interview directly that the trade with Boston that Colorado had probably did have an affect although the caps agreed to the trade before the Avs traded with Boston... if that makes sense! lol

Regarding Erksine, for the record personally, I think he's earned his #6 spot this year and don't have a problem in the lineup. The Hannan trade eliminates Sloan from the lineup which is a good thing. I know he's a good story and a good kid but he's not a top 7 on a Cup-contending team... BUT, he is a vital contract type/player to have... versatile (can play both D and F) and cheap!

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 1, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I read that Sturm is rumored to be waived soon.

Also, I read an artilce on ESPN about LTIR and the bonus cushion. I guess since Boston used so much room on LTIR they will likely lose the $4M of space in next year's cap because of the bonuses of their players(the ESPN story details it clearer). The Flyers about $1.9M.

In addition, there is no bonus cushion next year(as of now, unless CBA is extended, which it may be). That would mean that remaining bonuses for Boston players(decently high because of Seguin) would count against the cap next year. So Boston could be in a world of cap trouble next year.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I would take Krejci for that. But I don't think Boston will be getting rid of Krejci. It will most likely either be Sturm or Ryder.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

note to all Caps fans... Hannan's locker stall is next to Alzner in the interview on NHL.com

Posted by: FrankM73 | December 1, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

no offense; i'd offer shultz or alzner for Bieska instead (i'm convinced if Erskine were having this year on another team, he'd be awfully attractive to us and we'd be talking about him as a potential addition)

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I agree with the poster that this was really Hannan for Sloan/Fahey. Then Erskine becomes the injury swap in which is good because he is solid and he isn't hurt by being a nightly scratch in the big leagues like the young kids are. Too bad for him though because he has been having his best season as a Cap so far, though he does have a clunker from time to time. As far as Flash goes, this could have just as easily been Fehr but Fehr has NO value on the open market! At least Flash has been productive for a couple years. I hope Flash gets some good ice time opportunities in Denver and I think he will.

Posted by: 30yrcapsfan | December 1, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

FTR, Flash wasn't just good in the '06 AHL playoffs, he was one of the best players on that Bears team which is why I think BB was so loyal to him. Flash hasn't however, played to that level in the NHL thus far. This is why I say the trade was good for everyone. It gives Flash a fresh start with another team that should give him every opportunity to excel and the Caps are unquestionably improved in an area most fans would agree, needed improvement.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 1, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

boston won't get rid of sturm, it'll be ryder....that's the buzz up here

Posted by: vermontcaps | December 1, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

But I don't think Boston will be getting rid of Krejci.
-----------

You are correct. Boston is definitely holding onto Krecji - outside of their goalies and probably Chara, mgmt [especially Neely, who knows the value of a good setup man] view him as their most important player - witness their strident efforts to move Savard this summer. Boston was cruising in the playoffs [7-2, IIRC] until Krecji got hurt - and promptly lost three straight to get eliminated once he went down.

Krecji stays, unfortunately. Savard, otoh, might be available. Whether he's worth the $ and the headaches [throwing Sobotka under the bus, ATL, etc.], is another matter.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 1, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Let me join in wishing Flash well, he's done a lot for the org and 51 pts in 69 games is nothing to sneeze at, not on the first pp. Maybe he didn't have the greatest playoffs but outside of Carlson, Varly, Poti, Backs and Ovie nobody did.

I happen to think he could do very well in CO with the way they play and esp. if he's paired with guys like they're talking about pairing him with {Stastny and Duke] but, in any case, it should be a trade that hopefully works out well for everyone. Good luck Flash and I hope Hannan works out well here also.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 1, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I would also add that Steckel was one of the other best players on that '06 championship team, so I'll let you all have fun with that, LOL.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 1, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Man if it's Ryder they're offering I hope we pass - talk about a big guy who plays way smaller than his size, or seems to anyway.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | December 1, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Until we get a better "physical" D-man, Erskine should absolutely be in the rotation. Unfortunately, I don't know that BB sees it that way. Fortunately (if you will), injuries will force BB to play the Lumberjack on a regular basis.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 1, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I think this trade keeps us from having to look outside of the organization for players. One thing lacking was a veteran shut down D man and now we have him. IMHO GMGM is done for the year unless someone/something goes WAY off course. I know that won't stop the rumor mill from churning, but the Caps are stacked from goalie to top line with talent. If they fail it is ALL on BB.

Here's to hoping BB will grow a pair, play King regularly, not overlook Erskine just because Hannan is 'new' and in style, stay the course with defensive play and make it out of the 1st round!!!

Posted by: FLDave | December 1, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------

Isn't that a little premature? Calling him a "shutdown D"??

From what I've read since yesterday, Hannan was a legit shutdown D when he was in SJ but not so much lately.

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Hannan is a good pickup for the Capitals. He's a good stay-at-home defenceman who plays physical, blocks shots, and can kill penalties. And takes almost no penalties himself. In a playoff series he's a great player to have. Hasn't looked as good in Colorado as he did in San Jose, but the Avalanche have a pretty different squad and system. Really good idea to do this early in the season as well. I don't like the idea of getting trade deadline defencemen. Not much time to learn the system or work on finding good line pairings.

I think the 18 minutes time on ice is pretty misleading. He plays essentially zero powerplay minutes but a ton on the penalty kill so his time on ice really depends on the special teams split. It seems sort of silly to say he 'can be relied upon to play 20 or more minutes a night' when he has a number of games this season where he's played well over 20 minutes and has a number of games this season where he's up around 24,25,26 minutes. In October he was only averaging about 16 minutes a game, in November he averaged about 21 minutes a game.

Posted by: Stu_c | December 2, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse