Posted at 12:21 PM ET, 12/15/2010

HBO's '24/7' catches Caps at a low point

By Katie Carrera

If you haven't been reminded enough, the first episode of HBO's "24/7 Penguins/Capitals Road to the NHL Winter Classic" will air tonight at 10 p.m. and be replayed immediately after at 11 p.m. So you can watch the Caps-Ducks contest and then settle in for the opening installment of this mini series.

Players and Coach Bruce Boudreau say that they'll watch the show at some point -- although when may depend on how the team does tonight and in the immediate future.

Yesterday, HBO senior producer Dave Harmon said that Boudreau's use of profanity would "make Rex Ryan blush," and this morning the coach admitted the vulgarity is one thing he wishes he could change.

"If I do watch it, I know the one thing I wish I could take back: I wish I wasn't swearing as much," Boudreau said. "I think I'm cursing more than I would want my son to hear me curse, but at the same time, the show has caught us at probably the worst point that it could have caught us in three and a half years -- at least the first portion of it -- so I was madder than most times."

Having their worst losing streak since March of 2007 chronicled by HBO's cameras is no picnic, but the players don't even consider the option of using the extra eyes as an excuse. They just want to get back on track.

"I'll probably watch it just to see what they can put together. HBO's an amazing [network]; they seem to make everything look real interesting and real appealing," Eric Fehr said before acknowledging that the world seeing the Capitals struggle isn't ideal. "It definitely sucks that we're going through all this during the HBO taping but it's going to happen sometimes. You go through highs and lows and we happen to be going through a low at a pretty important time at the season."

Said Tom Poti: "It's not the opportune time for us to be on TV, but I think it will still be a fun thing for people to watch and see what we go through day in and day out when we're going through something like this."

And as the Capitals' public relations staff has just pointed out, tune in for an inside look but remember that parental discretion is advised.

By Katie Carrera  | December 15, 2010; 12:21 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Boudreau, HBO 24/7
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varlamov to start, Semin questionable against Ducks
Next: Leonsis: Caps 'working hard; staying together; and trying to get healthy'

Comments

First!

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | December 15, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@vermont

forgot to ask..thought you had mentioned something about teaching a few weeks back...r u a private school teacher (since u jabbed at the public school)

Posted by: capscoach

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

wow again no comments on the actual subject of the post. it's really comical at this point.

I for one am excited to see how the Caps have handeled themseleves during this less then appealing point of the season. it'll be fun to watch and maybe people will lay off the guys, although I highly doubt it.

Go Boys, Go Get Em Tonight. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: capsfan387 | December 15, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach,
I admire your persistence. Your positive passion shines brightly. I certainly do not have the time and energy to post as much as you do. Thanks for fighting the good fight for the optimistic types.

Posted by: _Mark | December 15, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I am sure Hollywood BB is loving all of the attention.

On another topic, #28 is a joke. After his performance against the Avs, it is obvious this guy needs to go. Cheap cross check to the head because his is too big of a p**s to take someone one like a man. He skates over to sulk at the ref and Brooksie gets pummeled by the Avs players. I would loved to have seen Cody McLeod or one of the Avs completely destroy Semin. Semin reminds me of the freak Asisn gangster in "The Hangover." Get rid of Semin and get some veteran depth on our forward lines.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say, that HBO special is going to be pretty interesting, one team with a winning streak and another at a losing one.

Posted by: guer_j | December 15, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Penguins suck!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 15, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I dont have to watch this show to know that Sidney Crosby is the most boring athlete on the face of the earth...

If it wasnt for hockey, that guy would be driving a snow plow.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 15, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Crosby may be boring, but he is currently the best player in the NHL and has raised the Cup.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 15, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach,

Posted by: _Mark

Lol..thanks I think :) I have 5-10 minute periods of time where I can post stuff depending on the day. I also start work very early and get off around 3. Someone's gotta keep up the good fight.

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

anybody here listen to jim rome....he is now making fun of the price is right showcase showdown package that includes a trip to pittsburgh blows

Posted by: _stevo | December 15, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Crosby may be boring, but he is currently the best player in the NHL

Posted by: doughless

sad but true! He is the best player THIS YEAR...and only so far...we can hope the tides will turn (unlikely I know)

Posted by: capscoach | December 15, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Crosby may have raised the cup, but he is still a scared little virgin...

Posted by: SA-Town | December 15, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

He is a winner.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Is the HBO show going to feature an "MTV Cribs" style vignette featuring Sidney Crosby and Super Mario's basement?

"Over in this corner of the basement is my racecar bed, these are my Pillow Pets, and that's my 'Drake and Josh' poster -- signed by Josh but not Drake, these are my pokemon cards..."

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

SE Division is shaping up this year. Atlanta and TB made moves and look impressive.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

TB perhaps made the best and most important move by signing up Steve Yzerman as GM. That move will pay dividends for years to come. Meanwhile, GMGM plods along.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

He is a winner.

Posted by: doughless

Awesome good for him, Santa will be sure to leave him off the naughty list for Christmas this year.

Posted by: jdove80 | December 15, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Wowwww!

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

"Any man who forgets his number spends a night in the box"

"I wish you would stop being so good to me, Captain!"

Seems to me that some guys constantly hearing this will naturally tune Bruce out. When you're a coach or boss, one of the things you have to be is a psychologist. Some guys need to be yelled at, some need to be coddled. Screaming constant vulgarity does not work.

Posted by: puckman | December 15, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"And there is a reason all of you are not employed by the NHL! Express your ideas, but stop kidding yourself that you could do a better job than BB or GMGM or that all these changes that you want could all have happened with the right GM."

Sorry CC, that's a ridiculously inaccurate comment fraught with gaping holes. Defending specific moves that McPhee makes is one thing. To claim that someone who isn't employed by the nhl is automatically dumber than McPhee with respect to personnel acquisitions and overall team philosophy, that's a crock.

Follow the Redskins at all? Do you think that all the fans and media (not employed by the NFL) who knew for years that Vinny Cerrato was a bumbling idiot who ignored the offensive and defensive lines in the draft..do you think these fans knew less than Cerrato when it came to what ailed the team? He may have known more about the inner workings of the team and the nfl, but with respect to player acquisitions he was a tool. Drafting wide receivers for Spurrier etc, ignoring the trench positions on his team, that was a recipe for disaster long foretold by fans and media.

So get over this notion that you have to be an nhl employee in order to be more proficient at evaluating an nhl team's strengths or weaknesses than a specific GM or coach. They obviously know more about certain aspects simply because they're on the inside. But to claim that fans aren't knowledgeable enough to accurately criticize certain moves or foretell an impending disaster...don't project your "newbieness" on every fan out there. Just because you feel out of your element in critiquing a GM or coach, that doesn't apply to every one of us.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless

i wouldn't get caught up in Tampa's record. They have some of the same issues that the Caps do. Atlanta plays the right way and is on the "righter" path. They know how to play team defense and they play with better team toughness. Personnel-wise they still need a few players. But system and style-wise, they seem to understand how to build a team. They've revamped in a very short time. They just need more time to keep adding pieces. They're really still in the infancy stage of their rebuild but they've made big strides.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I was thinking the same thing about Tampa. They have very similar team to WASH. Lots of scoring and suspect defensively. Their probably a bit tougher than we are. Atlanta is certainly the more complete team and plays a more playoff hockey tight defense system.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | December 15, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse