Boudreau: It is Fleischmann's 'turn to sit'

By Katie Carrera

Tomas Fleischmann took part in the scratches skate at KCI and Coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed that the player who started the season as the team's second-line center will not play tonight when the Capitals host the Buffalo Sabres.

"It's his turn to sit," said Boudreau when asked why Fleischmann won't be in the lineup but did not offer any other details. Fleischmann has one point and seven shots in the past five games and he was also the subject of criticism after an untimely double-minor in the Capitals' first game against the Sabres this past weekend.

--Boyd Gordon, who said yesterday he felt ready to go after suffering a knee injury against Tampa Bay last week, will be back in the mix against the Sabres.

--Included in the latest round of line shuffling that will bring a different look for at least the start of tonight's game is that Marcus Johansson will skate on the top line with Alex Ovechkin and Mike Knuble. That combination first appeared in the third period against Buffalo this past Saturday when Boudreau shook up the lines in an attempt to ignite his offense.

"I'd like to see [Johansson] skate like he did in the third period of the Atlanta game and the second period of the Boston game," Boudreau said. "When he skates like that he's got the puck, and when he's got the puck he's creating things because his speed is allowing it. We've seen those flashes and it proves he's going to be good we'd just like to get on a more consistent basis."

If Johansson is nervous about getting his first start playing alongside Ovechkin, the rookie isn't showing his hand.

"Of course it's a big thing and I'm excited to play with him because he can create stuff all the time and make things happen," Johansson said. "It's going to be a fun night for me."

For those asking why Boudreau would choose to break up a top line of Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Semin when they've played so well together -- the answer is he's looking to get chemistry going on other lines. So far, a few lines have had a good game here or there but not many have had that intangible spark that you want to see out of a group of forwards all on the same page consistently. That's what Boudreau's trying to find.

"I know it's crazy to say because of where we rank in goals for and that, but we need way more balance," Boudreau said. "If you just load it up on one line as the season goes along it gets easier to check them....It gives us options and when push comes to shove and we're doing everything geared toward later on in the year, they probably won't be playing together. So as much fun as it is to watch them sometimes, we've got to get other combinations going."

By Katie Carrera  | November 17, 2010; 11:54 AM ET
Categories:  Boyd Gordon, Buffalo Sabres, Marcus Johansson, Tomas Fleischmann
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live Caps Q&A: Wednesday, 12 p.m.
Next: Capitals look for a complete game against Sabres

Comments

....and, it starts!

Posted by: j3rockstar | November 17, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Let's just have a "complete" game tonight no matter who plays. Go Caps!

Posted by: robostop10 | November 17, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

is the live video chat working? can't get the feed

Posted by: _stevo | November 17, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Katie might be running a little late today...I don't have a feed either.

Posted by: patrone | November 17, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

... and now the refrain: "Trade Flash for a D-Man..."

I think he'll be gone before the winter classic.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | November 17, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Healthy scratching Fleischmann for Game 19 of the regular season makes the decision to anoit him the #2 Center job for Game 1 of the regular season all the more baffling.

Especially since he was healthy scratched for Game 7 of the playoffs last season.

Posted by: CapsNut | November 17, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

BB: "as much fun as it is to watch them..we've got to get other combinations going"

following the same logic: yes, Richards, Jagger, Watts, Wyman good but we've got to get other bands going. Each of them will be paired with a front man from a bar band and we should get more balance...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 17, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I think Katie answered all the questions, b/c that is the 2nd time mine was answered...and it wasn't a really good question.

Posted by: capscoach | November 17, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

show up 20 minutes late and then spend 10 minutes answering questions...gee thanks.

Posted by: patrone | November 17, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedLitYogi

Awesome!

Strangely, I agree with BB on this one. There is a possibility the Caps meet a team in the playoffs that can shut down SOB. This is the perfect time to practice new line combos and give other players a confidence boost.

My gripe is that BB didn't put SOB together in the playoffs. Semin wasn't scoring, Backstrom hadn't scored a point since game 4, Ovi had only 1 goal since game 4, and the Caps lost two straight elimination games, yet BB still decided to roll KOB to the bitter end.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

And kudos to BB for finally realizing that playing favorites will get him fired.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi. Good one!

Food for thought on the new lines. Could it be this is BB's way of putting OV on the second line and yet let everyone think he is still on the first line? Lets face it, OV's play has not been stellar lately.

Posted by: hock1 | November 17, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the lines at this stage of the season ......... the big point here is the 2nd line center is having hotdogs tonight, pair that with the espn item
"It looks like the Washington Capitals GM George McPhee is looking for a defenseman on the trade market, TrueHockey.com's Andy Strickland reports.

Now, there aren't too many defensemen on the trade market right now, but several might become available as the season progresses -- Kevin Bieksa, for example."

I smell trade coming soon.

Posted by: bqts | November 17, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Finally...the guy is literally worthless.

Posted by: Moose33 | November 17, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

For those wondering about the progress of Joe Finley, here's comments from Bears asst coach Troy Mann in the Harrisburg Patriot:

With Oreskovic earning an extended look, Dylan Yeo playing well, and injured Sheldon Souray (hand) nearing a return to the lineup, Hershey reassigned Joe Finley to South Carolina (ECHL). Mann said Finley, scratched in all three games last weekend, will get more playing time there to work on his game.

“When you get him out there in practice in the drills by himself, he looks like he moves OK,” Mann said. “In terms of once you get playing in a game and getting that 5-on-5 play, I think his lateral movement needs to be better. And also his puck decisions. The last game he had played in Charlotte [Nov. 9], he had a number of turnovers. It’s just a matter of making quicker puck decisions.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 17, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

yet BB still decided to roll KOB to the bitter end.
----------

How can you even question that decision - don't you remember all that vaunted corner-work and net-crashing Knuble did against MTL, not to mention all those rebounds and deflections he buried in the net? Yeah, neither do I.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 17, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I have been reading quite a bit about needing a big D-men for quite a while, so I am curious to know, if the Caps acquire one, what would be the ideal new pairings? Do we split Schultz and Green?, the two young centers? would the new guy be playing on the third pair? who will go? OK. Here is your chance to be specific, lets have some thoughts.

Posted by: hock1 | November 17, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

While a trade could happen at any time, I don't think it necessarily means one will happen soon.

GMGM has been being patient and waiting for all the cap strapped teams to be put in a situation where they are forced to make a deal. This gives the Caps much more leverage in negotiations.

I don't see Vancouver wanting to take much salary back as they need to get rid of salary.

Another team to keep an eye on is the Devils. There are rumors they are considering dealing Zajac. He would be a perfect 2nd line center. But with Lou and the Devils, who knows what they are actually thinking. Zajac has about $4M/yr for a few more years. They may need to get rid of him in hopes of re-signing Parise.

There are other teams out there who are starting to get a little desperate. Toronto is one of them(although I have no idea who the Caps could get from Toronto who would be helpful. Possibly Kaberle, but who knows what will happen with that).

Calgary has its salary cap problems also. As do the Bruins(but I doubt the Bruins will deal with the Caps during the season since they are competing with each other in the East).

But the longer the Caps wait, the larger the salaries they can fit under the salary cap.

I still think the Caps will not make a major move until January at the earliest, and maybe even February.

But, you never know.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 17, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The two young centers? What the heck is going on the tiny brain? I meant the two young guys on the 2nd pair?

Posted by: hock1 | November 17, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Easy hock1 :)

Posted by: bqts | November 17, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@hock1 - you are dead on with my line of thought. I have felt that way since the B-lo game when Ovi was split up from Sasha/Backis. They created a chance and scored...Ovi didn't do much of anything. In fact, Ovi hasn't been doing much of anything the last few games...he hasn't been skating well, moving his feet, has been lazy with the puck, terrible in our zone...and he knows it, he admitted it. Semin has been the better Sasha all season, and there's no denying it. I totally believe that this is a demotion for him (albeit not stated)...but what do I know. I'm just a fan. :)

Posted by: justemmaroo | November 17, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: justemmaroo | November 17, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1

I remember Knuble getting tossed around like a rag doll when he tried to set up shop in front of the net. I remember Knuble being so gassed by the 3rd period of game 7he was trailing Schultz into the zone. Honestly, BB's reluctance to play SOB in the playoffs made me question if he really wanted to win.

I like Knuble and what he brings to the team, but is unreasonable to expect him to keep with Ovi, Backstrom, or MJ.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Mike Richards on Subban

"He's a guy that's come in the League and hasn't earned respect. It's just frustrating to see a young guy like that come in here and so much as think that he's better than a lot of people. You have to earn respect in this League. It takes a lot. You can't just come in here as a rookie and play like that. It's not the way to get respect from other players around the League.

"Hopefully someone on their team addresses it, because, uh, I'm not saying I'm going to do it but something might happen to him of he continues to be that cocky."

Their next game should be intereting.

Posted by: capscoach | November 17, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

For tonight's game...which line is consider the top line? The Ovi line or Backie line.

Posted by: instinct227 | November 17, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@ capscoach

Monday night rumble, will be interesting. Also nice to see that the players are idiots like their fans. Puck Philly, Flyers Suck !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | November 17, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

From one of the other threads...

@tominsocal1:
up to 6.7 mil would be nice for the Caps given the return. Semin doesn't like being the center of the press, he's comfortable where his is now. He's making 6 mil, likely to go up to 6.75 - 7 mil for the long haul. Could he get 7.5 or 8? probably... but why leave his comfort zone. People that are shy and resist change tend to compromise. I think 6.7 over the long haul HERE in DC is where it'll end for Semin, and all will be happy!

@RedLitYogi:
at 23 Points in 18 Game and on pace for 59G, 45A, 104Pts, puts him in the company of a lot of players on this list.

My question to you... at 6.5 mil (since 6.7 is too high), who on this list who you take over Semin and at their cap hit of 7mil+ ? Horcoff, Towes, Kane, Redden, Vanek?

The fact is, based on what Semin brings to the table, 6. is a bargain, 8mil on the market is probably right... I'm hoping for 6.7!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 17, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

This could also describe Backstrom for most games this season. Neither has played up to their standard thus far.

instinct-I think Ovi's line is always #1.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

I think the market has swung back down now with so many teams cap strapped. The huge contracts of two years ago are no longer as prevalent. Hell, even Kovy only received a $6.66M/yr contract.

Personally, I think the Caps could get him between $6M and $6.5M/yr, depending on the length of the contract. There are a lot of teams that would like Semin, but how many could actually afford him?(and you can't consider teams not willing to spend money like the Islanders, Stars, Panthers, etc. as they are highly unlikely to offer huge contracts to free agents)

The Kings and Maple Leafs would be possible options, but the Kings have Doughty to re-sign and I think the Maple Leafs know that playing in Toronto would probably not be good for Semin.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 17, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Cody Eakin will captain Team WHL in the final Canada/Russia Junior Subway Super Series tournament game Thursday night in Prince George B.C. Eakin who has been bothered by a hip pointer has 11 goals and 9 assists in 18 games so far in the WHL this season. The top Canadian players in the three Junior Leagues will eventually be selected to represent Canada in the 2011 World Junior tournament in Buffalo.

Posted by: dull | November 17, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

__________________________

Amazing that he and Backs are playing sub-par hockey, and yet we're still on pace for 123 points.

Or is it that the focus is more on defense rather than offense, and their games really aren't all that sub-par?

I'm happy with what's going on right now.

Posted by: Fro_2 | November 17, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

The extra years were added to Kovy's deal so it will be cap friendly. His contract is $100 million of which he will get nearly $90 million before his "retirement".

If Semin wants to get paid, he will be. There are a number of teams with the cap room to pay him now and other teams who will "find" the money to make room for him.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Tess, thanks for the update - from what I saw of rookie camp this summer at Kettler, Finely is not the fleetest-of-foot, to say the least - and if that stands out at devo camp, that usually portends trouble down the road.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 17, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

will = would

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

hock1

Responding to your question - I think the Caps are in the race for Bieska. I think as the cap numbers decline, a Flash for bieska trade seems reasonable for both sides. I, like you, am having issues deciding how the D pairings would work themselves out following this trade. I think the Alzner/Carlson pair is too valuable at the moment to break up...they are the closest thing to "shut down" that we have. The Green/schultz pairing is the perfect pairing to go with our top lines - green moves the puck and Schultz is extremely responsible and cautious about getting caught up ice. Hes good at making the top lines mistakes disappear without doing anything too flashy, something I dont think he gets quite enough credit for.

If we got someone like bieska, I think there is a much more likely chance the karlzner line is broken up resulting ins oemthign like this

55-52
Bieska-74
27-3

I'm not to fond of removing poti or erskine, but Bieska is better than either.

A bieska/Green schultz/poti pairing wouldnt be too wild. poti/schultz have shown they can play well together before. Schultz is probably our most valuable D man in terms of flexibility. You can plop Green/Carlson/Poti next to him and he'll continue to plug along. I think Carlson/Green/Alzner all tend to struggle initially with a pairing change.

Posted by: BACKS | November 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Fro - I agree. They *look* sub par but im under the impression Ovi and Backs have been playing calmer, more controlled hockey.

Posted by: BACKS | November 17, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@ablake - thanks for catching my sarcasm earlier, and I totally agree - I love the idea of Knuble and what he brings to the table, but, to these eyes at least, it has been painful watching him to keep pace with Ovie and Backs. Hell, it's been hard for him to keep up with Flash and Laich and MaJo. At some point, you just can't keep missing golden chances like he's been getting.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 17, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3:

I tend to agree with you that the market is swinging back a little... but... Kovy's cap hit was 6.66/yr cap hit because only the Devils were willing to give him a monster contract in terms of TERM.

If Kovy had been seeking less years, I would have to imagine that more teams would have been in and the cap hit slightly higher at 7.5 mil...

Just can't see the media-shy Semin bolting to Toronto or LA and leaving 'the guys' and his comfortable zone. I hung out with him as an 18/19 year old and he was a very reserved and shy young man. That's not to say he hasn't opened up but language wasn't the reason he was shy, he seemed naturally that way, very very private and reserved!

Signing a UFA contract somewhere else puts him in a new place with new teammates, out of his comfort zone and playing against his old mates. just can't see it!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 17, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Nope, apparently having "Ugh Flash" as your subject and later referring to him as Tomas "Flush" Fleishmann, gets your legit question vetoed. Noted for next time I guess. :) Lesson learned.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 17, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

What teams do you think will offer Semin a contract of $6.7M/yr for at least 5 years?

You must take into effect all the other players those teams will need to sign in the future(so any young players whose rookie contracts are about to expire), other free agents those teams are keen on keeping, the willingness of that team to pay money and the track the team is on.

I am curious to know who you think will be the Caps competition in re-signing him.

The only two teams I could come up with were Toronto and the Kings. I agree with FrankM73 that I can't see Semin bolting to Toronto where he has to deal with all the media pressure.

The Kings would be the only real possibility and they will probably be focusing much of the summer on re-signing Doughty and Jack Johnson.

IMO, if the Caps offer Semin a 5 yr contract at around $6.0-$6.5M/yr their only competition for Semin will be from the KHL.

This isn't meant to be critical on Semin. I like him and think he is a great player. But it is the reality of the UFA market now in the NHL.

In addition, teams may be more hesitant to hand out big contracts this summer to UFAs with the pending end of the current CBA.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 17, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@frankM73,@ablake - good arguments. no doubt, other teams will be able to offer more. I have the feeling the Caps have set their "2nd peg" marker at the 6.7 they're giving Backstrom and will not exceed it for anyone. And your comments on Semin's "shyness" (I think it goes a little beyond that and it's a good reason to root for him and to be touched by his friend Ovechkin's looking out for him) are apropos. It's a tough situation - the Caps do have to sign Green, and, in a few years, Carlson and Maca. (I hope they can swing a Neuvirth type deal with the latter, tho...)

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 17, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sgm im with you on the Semin talk. Its either the Caps, the KHL, or an incredibly bloated contract. Semin has NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to be the head honcho on a team. I dont think he would even be playing for the Caps if it wasn't for Ovi. Its going to take a ridiculous contract from NY, Toronto, or the like for him to not be in Russia or DC next year.

Posted by: BACKS | November 17, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Kings, Maple Leafs, Sens, Wild, Oilers, Islanders, Panthers, Flames, or any team that needs scoring. Teams are always willing to make trades or use creative cap numbers to get players they want. If that doesn't work, they can make players disappear like the Oilers, Rangers, Devils, Blackhawks, and Caps have proven.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Semin at 6-6.5m? I'll bet the over.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 17, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi

Semin and Green are not good comparisons to Backstrom because they are older. Backstrom was 22/23 when his new contract kicked in, so the Caps were able to tack on a few years to lower the cap number. Green and Semin will be 27 when their new contracts take effect, so their cap hits will probably be higher unless they take pay cuts.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

If Semin were negotiating right now, this second, McPhee would be offering DSedin $6.1M/yr and almost same stats as Semin this year and comparable over time.

The high end is probably Gaborik 7.5.

Frank, your cap geek numbers were actual salary, not cap hit.

I think they will settle in the middle of the comparable players. They will give him a little over Backie maybe since it included RFA years or else kick out the first four years on Backie and average the last six. Either way you work the numbers, range says 6.0-7.5. It will come down to who wants to blink first.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 17, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@redLitYogi:
thanks! Semin jumping from DC to Toronto or another high profile market would be akin to jumping from Bora Bora to Death valley... in summer! one's comfortable, one it darn close to hell!

another way to look at the #'s is this:
Semin's increase this coming off-season (assuming he resigns) won't be much more than 1 mil overall (6 to 7 mil) hopefully!
Green's increase the next off-season won't be much more than 1.5 mil (5.25 to 6.75mil).

That's a total of 2.5 mil to potentially retain both Semin and Green. Not bad cap management when it comes down to it!

Carlson is much more difficult to project for his RFA off-season. I (as well as tominsocal1) think it's prudent to assume progression and expect 3 mil minimum. Tom mentioned Hjalmerson (sp?) as a good salary comparison... 3.5 mil, was an RFA as well, Carlson will likely get offers if the Caps dilly-dally).

Too early for Makan projections at all...

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 17, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1:
you don't miss a thing do you? I noticed that after I clicked submit... lol

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 17, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@ FrankM73

None of us really know Semin, so who's to say he wouldn't survive in Toronto? The DC press, bloggers, and fans give him a hard time. It doesn't really seem to affect him, he still does what he wants. Who is to say he won't carry that same attitude to Toronto? I don't think Semin is as mentally fragile as some think.

Also, Ovi is not the only Russian in the league. Kulemin plays in Toronto, so there would be another Russian buddy if he chose that team. Just because Semin wasn't comfortable in America at 18/19 years old doesn't mean he'd be unwilling to spread his wings at 27.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Frank: BTW, FWIW, over last year and this year, so far, DSedin = 41 + 67 = 108 and Semin = 53 + 54 = 107. And they play the same type of game.

If just for grins you say goals are worth twice the value as assists, Semin is +29% for the extra goals and loses half of 24% (or 12%) on the assists. That gives Semin 6.1 (Sedin salary) + 17% = 7.137, which is coincidently almost to the penny the vanek salary.

If you say goals are worth 50% more than assists, you come in more like 6.7.

Semin's numbers aren't quite Gaborik like, and Semin will be discounted in people's minds due to Ovi and Backie, whereas Gaborik put up bigger numbers with less help, so I really can't see anyone offering Semin more than 5% less than Gaborik or...7.125 (again, Vanek number).

So, if open market number is 7.0-7.5, tops, a Caps offer of 6.7 and maybe a settle of 7.0 isn't that much of a hometown discount and should be enough to make him happy.

They settled this year round number 6.0 so can't you see round number 7.0 going forward?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody out of town watch games on Center Ice through DirecTV?

For some reason, I don't see the game listed on the guide but every other game is there.

There shouln't be a blackout for any reason that I'm aware of.

I'm wondering if there is just an issue with the guide. If not, I'll have to stream this one.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Somebody just told me they're showing the game on NHL Network but the guide doesn't reflect that.

Can anyone confirm this?

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 12:46 PM |

I am sure that's why BB is sitting Flash....cause he is feeling the "heat" for being in first place.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 12:46 PM |

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

it's not on NHL network as far as I know. It's not listed on my cable here in LA. Also I looked at the direct TV center ice listings and I don't see the caps game. It might mean that it's on a channel that Direct TV doesn't carry.

Some people were talking about the game being on CSN+ or something, I don't know I don't live in VA anymore. Also, the Rangers and Islanders are also at home so maybe all the MSG channels are taken up covering those games.

I hope you find the game so you don't have to watch it online.

Posted by: natresgroup | November 17, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsfannmiss

Funny, I remember these same arguments about points, 1st place, and the Presidents' Trophy last season. How did that work out in the playoffs again?

I think BB and GMGM are under an enormous amount of pressure to at least make the ECF.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70:
You are correct. No one here really knows Semin. but based on personality that shows and people that I've known that are like that... they don't like change much, they like comfort areas and in their jobs, tend to accept less $ to stay where they are comfortable. That's how I see the Semin situation playing out IMHO.he's still gonna make great bank for playing a game... lol!

@tominsocal1:
i can see a flat 7.0 mil on a long term contract for Semin... it's what I had in my projections on a previous post that showed we can keep both Green and Semin if done right.

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

For those that can't find the game on TV tonight, or don't get it, I recommend:

It's definitely not the same, but in my opinion I'd rather see the Caps on my computer then none at all. In between periods, they often jump to another game, but will automatically put the Caps back on when the game resumes. This is also really great for those that want to watch games around the league that couldn't afford NHL Center Ice.

@ TMAC2YAO: Depending where you live, NHL Center Ice will black out the Caps game (which I'm sure you already know), but I did see it listed as GAME 3

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@natresgroup

Thanks... it was one of the admins over at Japers Rink that told me.

Worst case, I'll catch it online what isn't so bad @ HockeyStreams.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@pitts

I live in Texas now. There is no reason I can see for a blackout. All the other games are listed. I've never seen this happen before.

I think Versus had a blackout thing at one time. I don't know if they still do that but I don't think that has anything to do with this situation either way. All the other games are listed.

atdhe is a good option for free but for a few bucks, HockeyStreams is much better quality and you can purchase game to game.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

as pittshater also said: http://atdhe.net/

hopefully it will show up. Looking at the two teams websites the buffalo feed will be on MSG-B and the caps feed is CSN-DC+. I went to the MSG website and they don't even list MSG-B. I guess the Sabres are on the "pay no mind" list.

Posted by: natresgroup | November 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

Fair enough. I'd like to see GMGM work out a reasonable with for Semin. My impression is that Semin isn't looking for longer than 3 years based on his contract history. I believe GMGM would have signed him longer if possible.

Of course, tomorrow Semin will sign a Carter-like deal to prove me wrong. LOL!

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70:
I know you are kidding, but in case you don't know, GMGM and Semin's agent can't start negotiations until 1/1/11

damn all these new threads!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 17, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I thought GMGM and Semin's agent could negotiate whenever they wanted, they just couldn't actually ink a new deal until Jan. 1 - is my understanding incorrect?

Posted by: Timbo_1 | November 17, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse