Posted at 6:35 PM ET, 02/20/2011

Mathieu Perreault's two points help boost Capitals over Sabres

By Katie Carrera

Mathieu Perreault knows his biggest challenge in the NHL is consistency, and in 33 games with the Capitals this season he has struggled to make an impact on a regular basis. But on Sunday afternoon, Perreault chipped in when Washington couldn't accept less than two points against the Sabres at HSBC Arena in Buffalo.

Perreault recorded two points for the first time in eight games and scored just his second goal in a 21-game span as he played a significant role in Washington's 2-1 win over the Sabres that improved the Capitals' record on this road trip to 2-2-0.

"It was a big game for us," Perreault said. "This was one of those games I needed to come out great because I've been cold for a couple games, so that was good for both me and the team."

In 12:04 of ice time Perreault managed to take only two shots on the Buffalo net, but when both of them translate directly into goals no one will complain. Facing goaltender Ryan Miller the Capitals' intent of taking as many shots on goal as possible while driving the net was easily apparent. And for Perreault, both of his points came from being in the right place at the right time.

For his goal just over six minutes into the second period, Perreault drove to the net as Matt Hendricks dumped the puck in below the goal line. The puck caromed off the end boards and directly to the slot where the rookie center waited.

On the game-winner, Perreault was entering the left faceoff circle in the Buffalo zone as Alex Ovechkin took a shot from the opposite side of the ice and the puck rebounded off Miller's pads directly to him. Rather than over-think the play, he threw the puck at the net where Marcus Johansson was able to deflect it in the net.

"It was such a great rebound when Alex shot it on net," Perreault said. "I wasn't really expecting it but the puck came out to me and I just tried to shoot it on net and Marcus was there to deflect it. Sometimes you need plays like that."

By Katie Carrera  | February 20, 2011; 6:35 PM ET
Categories:  Buffalo Sabres, Mathieu Perreault
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals finally cash in on the power play to defeat Sabres 2-1
Next: Capitals pursue a perfect set of back-to-back games

Comments

good game by MP but this just means he'll disappear for next two weeks.

Posted by: joek443 | February 20, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

if by disappear you mean leaving on a jet plane and he probably won't be back again...I hope so.

Posted by: ThePat | February 20, 2011 7:01 PM | Report abuse

MP showcase with all those scouts there was no. McPhee has a lot of options right now. Better pull the trigger soon.

Richards has to be off the table right now. How bad is his head?

Posted by: underpants2 | February 20, 2011 7:10 PM | Report abuse

@underpants

no idea how bad Richards is hurt. I never even saw the highlight of the hit that hurt him.

Posted by: ThePat | February 20, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I meant nice, not no. Sorry.

When will they move Poti to LTIR?

Semin, Neuvirth, Perrault, 1st to Ottawa

Spezza, Anderson, Neil to Wahington

Posted by: underpants2 | February 20, 2011 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I got one name to put out, SPEZZA SPEZZA SPEZZA SPEZZA SPEZZA ,,,GET IT GEORGE ?

Posted by: muthapucker1 | February 20, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Semin, Neuvirth, Perrault, 1st to Ottawa

Spezza, Anderson, Neil to Wahington
----------------------------------------------------------

Normally I think our goaltending is good enough but Anderson is somewhat intriguing.

His performance against SJ in the playoffs last year was simply phenomenal even though they lost the series.

Posted by: joek443 | February 20, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

no really, SPEZZA SPEZZA SPEZZA SPEZZA SPEZZA !!!

Posted by: muthapucker1 | February 20, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Spezza is 10-16-26 (-9) in 39 games this season. 8.00 for the next 2 years and 5.00 for the 3rd. I'm sorry, I don't see the appeal at all.

Posted by: j3rockstar | February 20, 2011 7:46 PM | Report abuse

$7M/yr cap hit for 5 more years of Spezza is too big of a contract to take on. He would be a great add for this year but that contract would be detrimental for later years.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 20, 2011 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Semin for Iginla, straight up.

Posted by: griz0615 | February 20, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Spezza does not possess the type of character and leadership this team is missing.

How about Semin and a pick for Iginla? We could really use that guy...

Posted by: sca187 | February 20, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Calgary is not trading Igninla. Especially for a player who would likely be there for one season and then leave.

Remember, Iginla is the face of that franchise. He is a great player alone, but he is the superstar that the fans love up there. The only way they trade him is if they got a boatload back.

In addition, they are fighting for a playoff spot and have been rolling lately.

Iginla will not be moved. Especially to the Caps for Semin.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 20, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know hoe Jordan Staal is? What did he hurt?

Posted by: capscoach | February 20, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

havent seen anything, but looked like it caught him in the jaw.

Posted by: ThePat | February 20, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Why are the Bears and MJ carrying this team? Where is the first line again?

Posted by: cirrus_nine | February 20, 2011 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it is too long for Spezza. Fisher would have worked though.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 20, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

1st line was shortshifted due to all the PP time and the overuse of OVI on the point. Bruce Alzner was on the top PP line in Hershey. Please play him. It's the only reason I root for Poti to return so we can move Ovi to the 1/2 wall.

Posted by: bricucci | February 20, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

@cirrus

um...actually Ovie has had points in almost every game this road trip, Backie has some goals, Semin has a hat trick, Laich's got two, and knuble has at least 1

Posted by: capscoach | February 20, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

NO Spezza. Kovalev would be a nice rental. Our PP woul come back.
Russian rejuvenation in DC.

Posted by: bricucci | February 20, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Kovalev would be a nice rental.
-----------------------------------------------

Kovalev was the original Semin, one of those guys on the team is more than enough.

Posted by: joek443 | February 20, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

@joek

spot on with that.

Posted by: ThePat | February 20, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

On all the trade suggestions. Agree that Spezza would be too expensive, given the term of his contract.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 20, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Montreal writers and D Chesnokov speak very highly of Kovalev and his leadership ability.

He is a guy who has played with both Messier and Gretzky.

I'm not saying he is the right guy to get as he is getting old, and there are other better options. But he wouldn't be the worst plan B if it only cost a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 20, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Not Gretzky, I meant Lemieux. I'm tired.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 20, 2011 10:46 PM | Report abuse

sgm: Really, honestly, I have posted many, many, many times that we have too many snipers and not enough tanks.

Too many light mortars and not enough artillery.

Too many...oh, forget it.

Kovalev is more of what we have. A perimeter sniper. I could see him being an answer to a need if he were a Ciccarelli kind of sniper.

I realize I said I would take Kovy for Chimera and a mid-pick because it helps for next year and actually makes us a little better this year.

joek443 makes a wonderful point when he says that Kovalev was Semin before there was Semin. They say a picture is worth a thousand words but in this case one sentence from joek443 is worth a picture.

If we moved Semin say for a hard-nosed blueliner, then backfilling with Kovalev isn't really a bad thing.

Like, Semin, Chimera and our Schultz to Minn for Clutterbuck, their Schultz and they give us a #2. Love that deal. Then we send our #3 for Kovalev. Right away we are tougher on D and we have the makings of a great checking line with Clutterbuck.

Somehow when the dust all settled we'd have more armor and less rifles with which to attack the enemy.

As we can see, right now, our bullets are no match for their bunkers.

We have constructed a great team for WWI, where the snipers could pick off the enemy at night as they would light their cigarettes. This is 2011, though, not 1917.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 20, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I realize it's getting old with some of you that every potential deal I propose includes Chimera.

Yes, it's getting old all around.

mrstominsocal1: "I was thinking of making chicken for dinner."

tominsocal1: "I was kinda wanting steak."

mrstominsocal1: "All we have defrosted is the chicken."

tominsocal1: "Tell ya what. I'll eat the chicken if you take Jason Chimera and give me a third round pick."

mrstominsocal1: "You need to stop with that."

I did tell mrstominsocal1 as I was eating that I appreciated that the chicken gave us grocery cap savings vs the steak.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 20, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

Ahhhh tom, you didn't read everything. I never said don't go after bigger guys(I want Chris Neil). I never said Kovalev is THE guy to go after.

But Kovalev would clearly help out the PP. Unquestionably.

If you replaced Chimera in the lineup with Kovalev, would the Caps be a better overall team?

Yes. Chimera is not good at D and doesn't hit much. There would be no loss in that and only a benefit with someone skilled.

You keep on saying the Caps have all these snipers, who? Semin. Ovie is a sniper but he is also a tank. Backstrom isn't a sniper. Who is the other forward on the Caps that is a sniper? It's really just Semin.

Improving the PP is incredibly important too and Kovalev would help out tremendously there.

While I do agree that adding some physical guys is important, I think the Caps need to add guys who are better skaters up front. Not Chimera type of skating, but skaters like MJ and who are also skilled. The Caps do not have speed that scares anyone. The Caps are big(not overally physical though) but pretty slow in overall team speed.

If the Caps acquired bigger and slower guys that could be a problem.

When I say acquire guys with good skating I don't mean that they have to be wimps, but just guys who are good skaters and skilled. If they are physical also, then great. But the Caps need some better skaters.

Also, I'm not sure Kovalev would fill that better skater need.

Also, Kovalev won a SC and scored some very big goals for the Rangers on the way to their SC victory, so if that is what Semin is then I'm all for it.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 21, 2011 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Sgm3 agreed. Where are the snipers? People need to get off dealing multiple players. We need to add a 2 line center who can be play at Least 2-3 years here. I think adding 1 rental player would help also. I still think this team should move Neuvy, hightrade value Look at Montreal, you need to pick 1 and we still have Holtby.

Posted by: bricucci | February 21, 2011 12:39 AM | Report abuse

@tominWE'REBROKEcali

WE need tanks !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 21, 2011 1:21 AM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

"I got really f**king lucky when Alex's hot shot rebounded right to me," Perrault said. "I thought - wow, is it possible that I could get ANOTHER cheap goal, so I just tried to heave it on net and that other f**king Swede, the new guy, stole my chance at a deuce by getting his jersey to skim my floater. Sometimes you get lucky that a hope and a prayer may actually go in, but it is a real bummer to miss out on a 2 goal game."

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | February 21, 2011 1:22 AM | Report abuse

@vermont
@cstanton

Notice Chimy has ZERO hits in the last 5 games. Man is putten' on his "war face" for the play offs in a big way.

How did we end up with this "weenie" and his concrete hands

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 21, 2011 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Nice Job MP!! Fvck the haters!

Posted by: Presbyter | February 21, 2011 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Chimera doesn't play good D and never hits? What games are you watching?! Chimera is one of our best PK'ers (that means defense) and is always first in on the dump and chase due to his speed and mucks it in the corners (that means he is physical and hits alot). Chimera cant finish. He needs Fehr to get healthy again so he can muck the puck out of the boards and center to Fehr the sniper.

It amazes me what some of you actually type on here without thinking or watching games.

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 21, 2011 8:23 AM | Report abuse

15 01/23/2011 11 27 22 3
16 01/30/2011 15 27 24 4
17 02/06/2011 15 28 25
18 02/13/2011 17 29 27 2
19 02/20/2011 20 30 29 3

Posted by: alling | February 21, 2011 8:38 AM | Report abuse

perrault's stats are far better than johansson's...so why are you challenging his consistency? he's also better in faceoffs...and he never takes a shift oft. honestly, perrault is one of the few players who actually earn and deserve more ice time. wake me when johansson has as many points per games as matty p. wake me when ovechkin skates as hard in the defensive zone. wake me when gordon or steckel equal perrault's goal total. katie, it's time you stopped regurgitating bruce boudreau's talking points and come up with an opinion of your own...and one that is actually based on what's happening on the ice.

Posted by: dingram3 | February 21, 2011 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Glad that the Caps could beat a non-playoff team. Now they have the Pens, whom the Caps like to beat like a pinyota. I am glad for the players getting the win, but sad too because BB is still the coach.

I am still intrigued to see if the Caps will grab Souray or perhaps trade away some salary for Souray to Edmonton, like Schultz, Chim-Chim, or Knubes (Poti, I just can't see anyone taking him).

And as for that 2C, the Caps are getting close to the desperate range. Who can they trade for and not get rippped off. It's clear to any GM that the Caps need a 2C, so they are in a weak negotiating position. Really, what 2C's are out there the Caps can afford and teams are willing to trade? Arnott seems happy in NJ and the Devils are making a good push for the playoffs. Maybe one of the younger centers from the Bluejackets, but what will the BJ's want in return that the Caps can afford? Do the Caps want a center from the Sens, Isles, or Oilers? None that fit the Caps' cap or the job description.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 21, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

For those with Center Ice who can't view the game, did you know that your Center I ce package qualifies you for the free NHL Game Center online from nhl.com? You should be able to get a promo code from your cable company to use when registering for the online game viewing with Game Center. I am watching this game today online at nhl.com, even though it's not on tv/center ice inmy area. Hope this helps someone and if it does let others know as well.

Posted by: kgain73 | February 20, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to chime in, and if someone in the US already has, sorry to bring it up again. I have NHL Center Ice, and NHL Gamecenter Live On-line because I travel a lot for work. Canadian Center Ice customers are offered a discount, US customers are not. That was directly from an NHL Gamecenter On-line customer service rep. So I have both and paid for both.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 21, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

One guy not often listed in trade rumors is Florida's UFA Marty Reasoner. He is a + player on the woeful Panthers, and has only been in FLA since July, part of that odd Atlanta, Chicago, Florida swap. I imagine after stints in Atlanta and Florida, Reasoner wants at least a sniff at the playoffs. The Caps may be able to trade a prospect, pick, or UFA/RFA for Reasoner.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 21, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Kovalev would be a nice rental.

I agree with this.

-------------------------------------------

Excuse you? Kovy won a Cup with the Rags. We could always use another Russian.

Posted by: fbutler1 | February 21, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse