Capitals look for a complete game against Sabres

By Katie Carrera

Ryan Miller stops Alex Ovechkin on a breakaway on Nov. 13. (Don Heupel/AP Photo)

The Capitals begin a stretch of three games in four days with a rematch against the Buffalo Sabres, who defeated Washington, 3-2, in overtime this past weekend. Losing in overtime isn't necessarily what has the Capitals looking forward to another chance against the Sabres, but rather the way they let Buffalo come back after a strong first period.

"The way we let them back into the game, you look at that -- guys like [Thomas] Vanek, he hadn't been scoring and now he's on a little tear -- you open that door just a crack and they find their game," Matt Hendricks said. "It takes discipline, that's the No. 1 thing [against Buffalo]. We can't take too many chances because they'll pounce on our mistakes. We just need to wait them out."

According to the Buffalo News, Ryan Miller will start in goal for the Sabres at Verizon Center and face the Capitals once again.

Miller stopped Alex Ovechkin, who has scored 11 goals in his career against the 2010 Vezina Trophy winner, on a breakaway in the teams' earlier meeting; the attempt was the Washington captain's only shot on goal in that contest. But it's also part of a recent stretch where Ovechkin hasn't looked quite himself.

Although Ovechkin has five points in the past three games, he only got four shots on net during that same span a surprisingly low number for someone who has averaged 5.39 shots per game over the course of his NHL career.

"I'm sure Alex, in a perfect world, would have 10 shots on goal every game," Coach Bruce Boudreau said when asked if there was any explanation for Ovechkin's lack of shots. "But when the other team defends a little bit better, it doesn't happen. If he is tired or he's played a lot or hurting or something, he doesn't get these opportunities. It is an impossible question for me to answer. He wants to."

We'll see if the latest round of line shuffling helps Ovechkin find his groove or if any of the other combinations can mesh as well.

--Each of the Sabres' past five games have gone to overtime, while two have gone to a shootout. Buffalo is 4-0-1 during that span.

--The Capitals aren't the only team with a defense that's chipping in. The Sabres lead the NHL in goals by defensemen with 13 tallies that account for 26.5 percent of Buffalo's total scoring output. Both Tyler Myers and Steve Montador, who also scored against the Capitals in the previous game, recorded goals in the Sabres' 4-3 overtime win against the Vancouver Canucks.

"I think the Capitals are going to put in a much better effort this Wednesday now after what happened a couple of days ago," Myers said. "They're going to come out hard and we just have to be prepared for that. It's always a tough game for defensemen to face them."

By Katie Carrera  | November 17, 2010; 3:13 PM ET
Categories:  Buffalo Sabres
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: It is Fleischmann's 'turn to sit'
Next: Tonight's lineup: Sabres at Caps

Comments

Does anybody out of town watch games on Center Ice through DirecTV?

For some reason, I don't see the game listed on the guide but every other game is there.

Update: Somebody just told me they're showing the game on NHL Network but the guide doesn't reflect that.

Can anyone confirm this?

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

yeah, the game is on nhl network and usually when a game is shown on nhl network you cant get it nowhere else.atleast thats what i seem to find,i may be wrong but yes the game is on nhl network tonight.GO CAPS!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | November 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

For those that can't find the game on TV tonight, or don't get it, I recommend:

It's definitely not the same, but in my opinion I'd rather see the Caps on my computer then none at all. In between periods, they often jump to another game, but will automatically put the Caps back on when the game resumes. This is also really great for those that want to watch games around the league that couldn't afford NHL Center Ice.

@ TMAC2YAO: Depending where you live, NHL Center Ice will black out the Caps game (which I'm sure you already know), but I did see it listed as GAME 3

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Also worth checking to see if you have a channel called TCN. It's actually Comcast +, but listed on my Guide as TCNHD.

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@grateful

Yea, that's right but I don't see the game listed on NHL Network either.

One of the admins over at Japers also said it was on NHLN so maybe the guide just doesn't reflect it yet for some reason.

Also, atdhe is a good option for free but for a few bucks, http://www6.hockeystreams.com is much better quality and you can purchase game to game. I used them last season for several games when Versus and DTV were in that dispute. The quality is excellent if you have even a decent home setup.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@pitts

I'm in Texas and the only add-on package I get is Center Ice so I don't get all those local stations.

DirecTV/Center Ice works perfectly for me now that Versus is back.

I've seen 3 separate people now say that the game is on NHL Network so maybe the guide just doesn't show it yet.

Worst case, I use HockeyStreams.

Best case, it is on NHL Network.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I've had the same problem in the past, where I know a game is on, but it isn't listed on NHL Center Ice. At game time, check GAME 3, sometimes your game will be on, and it's just labeled wrong. I really hope you catch the game tonight.....good luck. Also, calling my cable company saved me headaches last year when CSN+ wasn't listed as CSN+ on my TV.

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@pitts

Thanks... I've never had that issue with DirecTV/Center Ice or NBA League Pass where the guide is inaccurate. Maybe it's an issue with other providers.

I also see no reason for a blackout given my location and all the other facts.

I get the sense that the game was a late add to NHL Network or that the feed simply wasn't available for some odd reason.

But anything's possible... if it doesn't come up on NHL Network, I'll check all the CI stations... if no luck still, it's HockeyStreams which, again, is a fine options. Once I tried it, I couldn't go back to the free streaming. It's worth the few bucks for the rare instance when I have to catch a game online.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Does it depend on what coast you're on? I have Directv and it doesn't have the Caps playing on NHL Network. =/

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 17, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoast

You seem to be sharing my confusion.

I don't see it, either, and I wouldn't think that location matters within the states. NHLN shows different stuff in Canada and the U.S. but that's the extent to my knowledge.

Still not completely sure what's going on...

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Do those of you that have DirecTV have MSG-B? The Sabres site has it listed as being on this channel. Might be a dumb question, if so, sorry, I'm not familiar with DirecTV, but thought MSG was a channel they carried.

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

lol... okay, NHL Network is flipping out.

They just flashed on their ticker at the bottom under the Versus tab:

Capitals vs Rangers, Tonight @7pm ET

I've never seen them make that kind of mistake and I made sure to see it twice before posting.

Obviously they meant Bruins vs Rangers but it absolutely said Capitals vs Rangers.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@pitts

To my knowledge, you can get a specific add-on sports package that gives you a bunch of local stations from around the country.

Personally, the two sports packages that I pay for are Center Ice and NBA League Pass. They meet my needs.

If you get that particular sports pack, it's possible that MSG-B is within that set of channels. I can see those local channels if I set my guide to show "All Channels" but they're greyed out. I'll try to check it out later to see if I can determine whether MSG-B is there. Either way, I don't get it.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't sit Flash - trade his ass for a second line center

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh geez. As far as I've seen on Directv.com, they're showing Lord Stanley's Summer 2010 at 4pm (7pm East Coast time).

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Boston Bruins vs. New York Rangers is scheduled to play on Vs. On the NHL Network "Lord Stanley's Summer 2010" is supposed to be on (X2), followed by NHL On The Fly. My guess is that if there are any last minute programming changes, the game would be on the NHL Network. If not, I give up.

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoast

Don't you wanna watch Keith and Seabrook flaunt the Cup around their hometowns instead of watching a Caps game?

In fact, I may just skip the game and watch that... followed by Kane, Toews and Sharp doing the same thing.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

FYI, this is the post from Japers' Rink that I was talking about earlier. Check out the response to the first post: http://www.japersrink.com/2010/11/17/1820314/id-like-to-see-johansson-skate-like-he-did-the-third-period-of-the#comments

She's an Admin or something so hopefully she knows what she's talking about.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Brent (the alleged Assaulter) just got traded along with Ian White to the Hurricanes for Anton Babchuk and Tom Kostopoulos. Interesting.....maybe more defenseman will soon be on the move

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see this posted on the last thread, just wanted to get everyone take on the probable line combos for tonight.

8-90-22
21-19-28
25-39-10
26-15-16

I don't see anything wrong with mixing the lines in November, but I don't think MJ on the top line is a good idea. He hasn't even played 10 games yet, and only 1 game since mid-October. And WTF? Fehr on the 4th line?

Posted by: ablake70 | November 17, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

OK, I just saw it for the 3rd time on NHL Network's ticker:

Capitals vs Rangers, Tonight @ 7PM ET on Versus

I watch a decent amount of NHL Network and I haven't seen them make that kind of mistake before.

Maybe it was just an update fail in the IT department and they meant to say Sabres vs Capitals, NHL Network.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm in NJ and Directv is showing Caps/Sabres on 638, 638-1 and 643. NHLN is showing On the Fly
We'll see...

Posted by: jeets | November 17, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@pittshater:
regarding this link...

I installed it an the next thing I know, I've got a advertisement program installed in the background. I uninstalled it but it was popping things up all over the place!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 17, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are on the NHL Network on Friday when they play Atlanta. They are not on the NHL Network tonight.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 17, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@ FRANKM73:

It's good that you've installed it in advance. For me, at first I was highly annoyed by the ads, but like NHL Center Ice, at 7:01 (or whatever game time is for you) the game will come on, and not a minute sooner. I've always had success with this free online stream, and was surprised at the quality (I don't expect a lot when it's online AND it's free), but it should get you your Caps fix. Let me know how it works out after game time starts.

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

My Directv schedule shows the game on 786, 786-1, and 787.
I do not see it on the NHL channel, but I am out west.

Posted by: joepar703 | November 17, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

We'll see...

Posted by: jeets | November 17, 2010 4:35 PM

I just switched to "All Channels" and those are the local sports stations, not part of the Center Ice package.

That's the odd thing here.

The game should also be shown on one of the dedicated Center Ice stations which are 769 and up and all the game are listed except the Caps game.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe (hopefully) Calgary will shed some cap space and send us a defenceman? Wishful thinking, but I have to believe that McPhee is capable of shuffling things around, and maybe these recent trades will spark more trades. I fear that as the season progresses, teams will be less likely to help make the Caps a stronger Cup contender. I believe this was the case last year. So McPhee didn't come back empty-handed after the deadline, I think we acquired guys we didn't need like Corvo because maybe it would appear as something, which could be perceived as better then nothing.

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

My Directv schedule shows the game on 786, 786-1, and 787.
I do not see it on the NHL channel, but I am out west.

Posted by: joepar703 | November 17, 2010 4:50 PM

Winner!

Found it.

I think this is the problem: By default, when the season approaches, the guide doesn't force all the stations into your favorites list. I had to add 786 and up manually. Mine only had up to 785 and 785-1 and I suspect that this is what happened to other people.

The game is on DirecTV on the 3 stations you just listed... there must not be an HD feed for Buffalo, hence no 787-1.

Thank you, sir.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@pittshater:
As my TV isn't operational, I'll likely be at the bar having two Kilkenny's and some Buffalo wings... pun intended!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 17, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

My Directv schedule shows the game on 786, 786-1, and 787.
I do not see it on the NHL channel, but I am out west.

Posted by: joepar703 | November 17, 2010 4:50 PM

dirt tv doesn't even list these channels on their on-line guide. i've have to check them all when i get home. i do have the regional sports package so i can also check 638 & 643. i'll be p*ssed if its not on somewhere - in HD

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 17, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk

See my prev. post. You do get those stations.

I had to add them manually for whatever reason. I just did it.

DirecTV doesn't correctly and automatically force all the stations into your Favorites guide.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

And if you get the regional sports pack, it's also available in HD on 638-1.

So 786-1 or 638-1 for HD.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 17, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

FrankM73,
Enjoy your wings. Douse 'em in some really red hot sauce! You should bookmark that site, it might come in handy in the future. I tend to watch games online and on my TV simultaneously during the playoffs. GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

you know, we as a group, we sometimes argue and get mad at each other. but when it comes to making sure we ALL see the game we sure ban together. gotta love it!

Posted by: natresgroup | November 17, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. All in all, I think Caps fans are pretty intelligent, knowledgeable, respectful (standing ovations after a game 7 loss) I'm sure the banter on these boards doesn't come close to the crap thrown at each other on the Philly boards.

Posted by: pittshater | November 17, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao: I almost started crying like a school girl. Found the game on 638-1 and set the dvr to record it tonight. Thanks for the confirmation that we have it on Directv.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 17, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse