C. Bourque: 'I'll Do Anything'

In this article from today's Salem News, Caps prospect Chris Bourque said he's more determined than ever to win a spot on the big club's roster. But the reality is that the 2004 draft pick will have to beat out someone like Eric Fehr, Tomas Fleischmann, David Steckel or Boyd Gordon in order to start the season in Washington.

And I just don't see that happening. I do think that with a strong showing in camp Bourque could put himself on Coach Boudreau's shortlist of injury call-ups. But even that list is getting crowded.

"To win a job I've got to go in and play well right off the bat," Bourque acknowledged. "I have to keep my work ethic up, finish my checks, be responsible defensively, maybe score a goal or two in the (exhibition) games and get some points."
"Basically, I know I've got to go there and take someone's spot."
"I'll do anything I can to make the big club -- even be a fighter," Bourque, who has one career fighting major in three pro seasons, joked. "I'd probably get beat up all the time, but I'd be happy if it was in the NHL."

At least he seems to have the proper mindset heading into camp.

Thanks to KuklasKorner for the pointer.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 3, 2008; 7:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching Up With Shaone Morrisonn
Next: Single Game Tickets On Sale Sept. 20

Comments

Right mindset . . good genes too!

(First!)

Posted by: WhooHoo | September 3, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

i think he could take T.F's spot as he never finishes.

Posted by: its true. | September 3, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I think Flash should be player most nervous of keeping his place this season. I hope Osala has a great camp and makes the opening night line up as 3rd line LW.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 3, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

While I'd rather have Bourque than Flash on the team, I think it is more important to Bourque's development that he is playing in every game. Unless he is playing on a nightly basis with the Caps, you keep him in Hershey.

Posted by: reekie | September 3, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

@Tarik, everyone

I am absolutely confused about this roster. I see the four centers as Backs, Feds, Nyls and Stecks. Unless Stecks sucks, and I don't see that happening, these are pretty much set.

At wings, OV, Semin, Laich, Clarkie, Kovlov & Brash have for sure roster spots. Bradley was signed to a 3 yr deal so I see that pretty set.

That leaves ones roster spot up for grabs and in my humble opinion, it goes to Fehr or Flash depending on who has the better camp. I am thinking Fehr broke out during the playoffs and it is his time to shine but again "its up for grabs for a reason".

Posted by: 94 | September 3, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

@94

Fehr is RW, and Kozzy is a UFA next season and Clark missed more than half the season... Its more important for Fehr to develop than Flash, although both are important. Semin, OV and Laich can all play LW.

Fehr is still considered a top prospect in the NHL, not just here in DC.

We have some decent RW's coming up in the system but none of them are ready at the time.

Posted by: JSchon | September 3, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't really see an issue. Adding Gordon, that's 12 forwards and 2 scratches. I imagine Fehr, Flash, Gordon, Steckel, Brash and Bradley will rotate in and out of the third and fourth lines depending on matchups and whoever's hot. Right now though, Flash really needs to start on fire if he wants to wear sweaters instead of suits.

Posted by: tallbear | September 3, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Bourque has a great camp, scores in exhibition games, gets points, fights, and takes Flash's spot.

Posted by: Jordan | September 3, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I would much rather see Borque playing than either Flash or Bradley. Bradley is a contract I just never did understand, too much, too long for what he does for the club.

Posted by: Bob | September 3, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Bourque looked real good in Hershey last year. He was solid all around and was even controlling the PP. He's at that stage Mike Green was at a couple years ago (different position) but Green still looked a little young in the NHL, but sent down to Hershey he was dominant. Its going to be tough for Bourque, but he has a lot of potential and I really hope he gets a shot.

Posted by: Grape8 | September 3, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Dave UK,

I agree on Oskar. That kid was fun to watch at prospects camp.

Posted by: Steve R | September 3, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

any info on nylander?????????

Posted by: joe | September 3, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Poor Bourque. Seems like a great guy, probably talented enough to fill some role with the parent club, but a victim of numbers.

LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: SarahPalin=MILF | September 3, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Gordon should be a lock IMO. Fehr has yet to impress me with anything. Bourque still looks like an AHL'er to me. And Flash is aptly named. Flashes of greatness too far and few between.

Posted by: Sapper | September 3, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

I think Osala could be the player Fehr promises to be. Size, strength and scoring. Fehr showed a glimpse late last year that he has an eye for goal but he doesn't seem to use his size.

Third line of Osala, Feds and Laich would be able to shut down teams but also wear down defenses and score some goals.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | September 3, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

extended headline:

"I'll do anything... for a Klondike Bar!"

Posted by: Sam | September 3, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Tarik. CB needs a good showing to get himself on the short list for a call up but I don't see him beating anybody except maybe Flash for a roster spot. Next season is a different story though as Kozlov will likely move on down the road.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 3, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Flash only fits in at LW, which we have covered. Switching him to RW pits him against Fehr. I think Flash will hit the road. Last season, Fehr hadn't played in a while yet was just as good as Flash, who played for quite some time. He's a natural RW and scorer. If he's hungry enough, he'll get the spot.

Posted by: oo7 | September 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow I actually agree with 007. And now I think Sapper should not start thinking about blogging until he takes a look at the Philly series.

Fehr didn't show anything? I think everyone one on here pretty much agreed that he was one of the best players on the ice for the Caps during that series. Only person I thought played better was Semin.

Posted by: 94 | September 3, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Just to give everyone an update on this Sept 18th rookie game. I just spoke to a person at the Caps to get a bit more info and it looks like there will be no tickets for this shindig.

The gentleman said that there will be sort of a "VIP" list in which Tarik announced how to get on (RSVP via website). Anyone and everyone can jump on this list and the will be a maximum. The gentleman is calling me back with that info so we have a general idea of capacity.

Posted by: Roger 94 | September 3, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I like this kids spirit and would love to see him step it up and take flash's spot

Posted by: troy | September 3, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to seeing Bourque in camp.

Posted by: Jill | September 3, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I can just see Bourque calling up Coach and saying "My attitude is right..."`

Posted by: AP | September 3, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

CB is indeed a victim of the numbers game... 5'8" 180 lbs to be precise... and those a very generous numbers.

You can't coach size and he just doesn't have it. I love his heart, attitude and pedigree but he just doesn't have an NHL body. Go ahead, tell me he's bigger than St. Louis, but he doesn't have nearly the quicks to survive and thrive at his size.

Posted by: Dave in Alexandria | September 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Bourque will get some time in DC with how long the NHL season is. Someone will get traded, demoted, the flu (or heaven forbid, worse). Who expected to see so much time for Lepisto last year. This is a professional sport, so stuff happens. If Bourque can play RW well, he is very likely to replace Flash or Fehr if they do not pan out.

Posted by: JIM | September 3, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Bourque has the hockey smarts to make it in the NHL -- plus the hustle of a Kevin Todd or Corey Millen

can we keep Brashear at the door of the KCI to keep out any orange Vengence riff raff -- would be nice if season ticket holders got an advance chance to the rookie game -- and I hope there is a way set-up to keep out the Obnoxious Orange

Posted by: capsgary | September 3, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

everyone real quick....The RSVP sign up will go on the website at 10 am.

Posted by: 94 | September 3, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you have to worry about Philly fans showing up for a rookie scrimmage on a weekday afternoon.

Posted by: Jill | September 3, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Bourque have a chance.

Posted by: MNMNT | September 3, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Noooo it would be awful if season ticket holders got first chance at anything! I'm still bitter about the way us regular (poor, student) folks were shafted at the development camp scrimmage festivities.

Posted by: Jordan | September 3, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Jordan, I wouldn't be too bitter about the Development camp, and anything you missed out on, the only thing I really saw that got snapped up fast was the game used sticks and goalie pads, most everything else they had some selection for a while. Granted just not the same names on everything.

Posted by: AP | September 3, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

any more news on the informal practices?

Posted by: Catalyst | September 3, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Would Bourque fight Brashear?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't get all the people who keep saying "Fehr didn't show me much". Of course he didn't. He was just coming off a year-long layoff due to the back/hip ailment and he got thrown into some pretty tough games. If he comes into training camp healthy on day one, and plays up to his potential, I think you'll like what you see.

Posted by: tess | September 3, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@Jordan
I have two season tix--- I go to every game but may be stuck with a ticket now and then -- be willing to help out a regular poor folk, myself being a working poor folk, once and a while

Posted by: capsgary | September 3, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@ AP,

All that was left when non-season ticket holders got in were left handed sticks and overpriced practice jerseys. All I wanted was a damn Kozlov stick, and I saw season ticket holders carrying around bundles of 6 or 8 all day long. They could have at least put a 2-stick limit on them or something! Anything!

@capsgary,

Awesome, that would be great. I doubt they'll be doing Student Rush nights again this year so I probably won't get to go to 15 games this season without a little help and savvy eBaying.

Posted by: Jordan | September 3, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

As A Bears season ticket holder, I would selfishly like to see #17 stay in Hershey.

Posted by: odessasteps magazine | September 3, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Dave in Alexandria:

I've watched Bourque plenty in Hershey and at two development camps. He has great instincts and athleticism. While I do worry about his size, he may be one of those few able to surmount that problem.

Posted by: uncatim | September 3, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I would rather see Bourque than Flash. Flash has not gotten it done on the main stage. He is a great AHL player, but that seems to be about it.

Posted by: Bobby Gould | September 3, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse