Cam Janssen gets five games (updated)

The NHL delivered another stern message regarding head shots this afternoon when it suspended St. Louis enforcer Cam Janssen five games, without pay, for elbowing Matt Bradley in the face on Feb. 13.

Janssen's punishment, according to the league, was for "a late hit to the head delivered to an unsuspecting forward." The Blues winger was assessed a five-minute major for interference and a game misconduct after nailing Bradley with a forearm/elbow to the face as the Washington winger looked around to follow a pass he had just made.

Although Bradley was knocked woozy by the hit and did not return to the game, he said Wednesday that he does not believe he suffered a concussion. He has practiced each of the past two days and said he will be ready to return to the lineup March 3 when the Caps return from the Olympic break in Buffalo.

One has to wonder whether Janssen, who has a prior history, would have faced further punishment had Bradley missed playing time. I'm thinking he might have.

As it stands now, Janssen will forfeit $14,248.70 in salary.

Update:Janssen responded to the suspension this afternoon, telling The St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

"I was surprised by the five," Janssen said. "We had a great hearing and everybody said what they had to say and they still gave me five games. It is what it is and I'm going to have to accept it. I respect Colin Campbell's decision and what he says, but it's not going to change my style whatsoever."

And ...

"When you watch it in regular speed, you can see he had no idea I was coming," Janssen said. "But it shows in slow motion that it was a little late. I was committed to the hit, though, and I drove through him as hard as I could. But hey, they've got to do what they've got to do."

Read the whole story here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 25, 2010; 4:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green on watching the Olympics from home: 'My time will come'
Next: Igor Larionov on Russia's loss, Canada's strength

Comments

I believe this is a very fair suspension, especially considering the three games Green received for the elbow v. Florida.

Posted by: nomarjax01 | February 25, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Good. There is no place for that crap in hockey. Thats the kind of stuff that relegates hockey to a second tier sport in America, which is a real shame because its a great game.

Posted by: lavar609 | February 25, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Certainly warranted. Gee I wonder what took so long though. I mean really? I would've been more shocked had he NOT gotten a suspension.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 25, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Some quick math shows that his salary only comes to a little less than $234K, so he may actually feel this fine in his pocket.

Posted by: cao091402 | February 25, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

sounds fair, sure glad won't have to listen to any more whining on this

Posted by: joek443 | February 25, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a fair suspension from the player perspective, in relation to other suspensions such as Green's. But the league's apparent new policy will have no teeth unless the team suffers some penalty. Janssen contributes nothing to his team in terms of hockey ability, so his loss for 5 games has no impact on the Blues. Blues management pays this guy to do what he did to Bradley, so they are at least as culpable as Janssen. At a bare minimum, the Blues should not be allowed to fill his roster space while he is suspended. I would also like to know whether the league has any oversight system in place to assure that the Blues do not reimburse Janssen in some manner for his lost income.

Posted by: zmega | February 25, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's cross our fingers and hope this is a sign of future consistency from the league...

Posted by: jakopz | February 25, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

+1 for zmega's comments - well said.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | February 25, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Good, glad that's settled. Now, St. Louis, what would it take to get your second best D-man?

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 25, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

"..I drove through him as hard as I could."

Cam, dude, shut it before they give you another 5.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 25, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"..I drove through him as hard as I could."

So, much for being apologetic and remorseful. Can he still get the "Mike Milbury" award for opening his mouth and inserting his skate?

Posted by: robostop10 | February 25, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"..I drove through him as hard as I could."

Haha wow what an idiot. Next time he lays a hit like that, then Campbell will immediating know he's intentionally trying to injure someone.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 25, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

hitting someone as hard as you can and trying to injure are 2 different worlds.

Would have been 6 games against a non-cap player.

I like the can't fill the roster spot idea but even more punitive would be a suspension length game 5 minute major. You get suspended and your team starts the next suspension length amount of games with a 5 minute major. GM's and coach's would stop this crap in a second and stop paying goons with no actual hockey skills.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | February 25, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Janssen is a thug. He played junior hockey and was offered an opportunity to get paid $200+K continuing to be a thug in the NHL. His only option likely was to get some blue collar job and get involved in the occasional bar fight in his spare time. I doubt he was going to med. school. So he took the NHL's offer. Of course he is going to continue doing what he has always done. What are his options? Take the blue collar job, or be a bar bouncer I guess. Don't hate the player, hate the NHL owners and management for continuing a system that allows people like Janssen to play professional hockey.

Posted by: zmega | February 25, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

A five game suspension for Janssen seems fair, given that Green got 3 games for a hit that wasn't as bad.

If I remember correctly (but I could be wrong), I didn't think teams could replace suspended guys on their rosters for the duration of the suspension.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 25, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

This is precisely why the Caps need a GOON of their own. When this crap happens you send your guy out the next shift when the other team's best guy is out and go right for his throat. That's the ONLY way this stops in the NHL.

Posted by: bundy44 | February 25, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

5's good.

No goons, please. Going the way of the dinosaur.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 25, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

@wtf_fehr (from previous threads)

I must apologize for not replying earlier. Yes, you deserve a reply. I was too upset by the comments of Milbury and the other announcers last night to think straight enough to compose a good reply.

In the past, I have noticed when sportwriters and bloggers complain about the lack of effort of certain Russian players and say "he takes games off or shifts off". I have heard that comment numerous times for numerous Russian players, the only difference in many cases, being the specific Russian player being discussed. Plus, I have only heard that comment in relation with Russian players, never with a Canadian or an American or a Finn or anyone else. Only with Russian players.

I know that the Russians do not have a monopoly of players who underachieve or have an uneven work ethic. They just seem to get credit for it. I've never heard an American or a Canadian to be "taking shifts off". It's as if that is a stereotype, similar to stereotypes applied against black athletes in the past; hence my comment comparing them.

My timing was bad, probably, given the epic fail of the Russians last night in the Olympics.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 25, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

ONLY 5 GAMES!?!?!?!?!

Ø He should have been Banned For Life!!! Ø

hahahaha....

Seriously, though, folks, IMHO it's about damn time the NHL office started balancing the scales for a change!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 25, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

Your apology is of course accepted, thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 25, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

hmm, he seems like a nice guy

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 25, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Hershey Bears update:
Bears at Toronto Marlies tonight, with an early 1-0 lead thanks to Andrew Joudrey. Holtby in goal.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 25, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Janssen deserves 5 for that at least. Then the chicken shyt hits Laing, tries to eye gouge him and then hits him when he is down.....absolutely gutless move all around by Janssen.Laing getting the instigator is a joke .......

Posted by: wendel2 | February 25, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

5 games sounds exactly right. Bradley didn't miss any games (which, as Tarik said, probably lessened the punishment), but it was still a late and deliberate hit to the head, which can cause major injury. It's about time the NHL suspended a player for a blatant attempt to injure a Caps player. It's only the fourth one this year.

Posted by: timmyv38 | February 25, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching Canda vs USA womens hockey?

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 25, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Honestly don't really like watching women's hockey... but go USA still!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 25, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe people are complaining about 5 games...seems fair to me...We finally get a little justice for our team...lets just be happy :)

Posted by: capscoach | February 25, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

@LloydChristmas

Yes Good game, hopefully the US team can score here in the 2nd period.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 25, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's not quite the same pace but it's hockey nonetheless. It's sorta like college hockey. :)

GO USA!

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 25, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

After he gets out & goes out on the street, I hope he steps accidentally in front of a bus.
No remorse whatsoever from jenny so it begets my statement.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Geeejust allah christ - watching that makes me want that guy & all his supporters to die.
The puck was no where near Brads.
I'll go run jenny down myself if I am in St Louis.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

@cao091402:

To explain the suspension with regards to salary...Janssen was fined $14K along with the five games. His salary is $550K. The NHL season is defined as 193 days. You were dividing 5 by 82 and you were thinking he was losing 6% of his salary and then dividing the $14K by .06 and coming up with that $240K figure as what must be his salary.

And this, folks, is why you always should leave the numbers crunching to us true professionals. Just today, I tell you, a senior vice prresident here at the rocket factory told me I was the "Alex Ovechkin of cost estimating." (OK, so that didn't happen.)

Now, the explanation: when they fine a player five games, due to the CBA, he only loses 5 as a percent of 193 days in the season, not 5 as a percent of 82 games. The fine is in games and days and the players only lose saalry for game days. They are not fined for the practice days between games. Doubtless millions were paid to lawyers to arrive at this.

If the early humans had never invented numbers, I'd be completely useless. As it is, I have extremely limited use but am able to make a good living out of it. Kind of like an overly tall person who can't do anything but throw a round ball through a hoop. The Lord, they say, moves in mysterious ways. I'll put ten on that.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 25, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm amazed that Cam is still complaining -- he led with his elbow and left his skates on a guy who clearly no longer had the puck. It was a cheap hit, so 5 is about right. Jannsen is not a quality player; he is a goon. Campbell, keep suspending the goons!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | February 26, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watching Canda vs USA womens hockey?

Posted by: LloydChristmas

I did, great game. The two teams really went after each other. I'm proud of the Americans for competing to the very end.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | February 26, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Why can't Jannsen just say "Sorry. I came in a bit late and too high. Didn't mean to hurt him." All of his comments make him look like a DB. I am happy with 5 games.

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 26, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"I respect Colin Campbell's decision and what he says, but it's not going to change my style whatsoever."

Then keep receiving 5 game suspensions you goon.

Posted by: Moose33 | February 26, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

A d-bag is gonna be a d-bag even when the evidence in incontrovertible

Posted by: doughless | February 26, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Forget Colin Campell.

The way to deal with this is to knock Janssen on his backside the next time the teams play and give him a bloody nose.

Posted by: leopard09 | February 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Watched it again and counted to 3-Mississippi after Bradley had passed the puck to the corner before Jansen hit him. That's unacceptable. Jansen may have been on his way skating in to hit him, but when the puck has been gone for more that 3 seconds, that hit is VERY late, even in real time. What a goon!

Posted by: Eler | February 26, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse