Canadiens 3, Caps 2

The Caps came out slow against Carey Price and the Canadiens, then poured it on late. But in the estimation of Coach Bruce Boudreau and several of his players, this game was lost in the first period and the opening minutes of the second.

"The biggest thing is I don't think we were ready at the start of the game," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "I think we thought, 'We're the Washington Capitals and we're going to go out there and it's going to be an easy win. But there's no easy wins in the National Hockey League."

"When we got the sense of urgency in the last two periods," he added. "Sometimes it's too late when the other goalie is on top of his game."

I covered a decent bit in my game story, but after you finish reading that, come on back for a few notes and quotes:

*With Tom Poti likely out tomorrow, Boudreau said the Caps will make a recall. It sounds like Poti or Shaone Morrisonn could be back, but they'll want to have someone there - just in case. Boudreau wouldn't say who it will be, but I'm guessing it will be a winger.

Losing Poti, by the way, forced Boudreau to put Tyler Sloan back on defense and scramble his forward lines with limited success early on.

*Alexander Semin (wrist) won't be making the trip, so that means the team doesn't expect him to play tomorrow or Monday.

*How do you send back Mathieu Perreault at this point? Forget about his third period hooking penalty for a second. I thought he was one of the Caps' best players tonight, especially considering he out muscled the much bigger Ryan O'Byrne before setting up Eric Fehr in the first period.

"That's the way I like it - Matty goes in the corner and brings it out for me," Fehr joked. "I wasn't sure if I was going to go [into the corner] and help him our or not, but he seemed to be doing alright, so I stayed back and waited for him to give me the puck."

Perreault now has six points in eight games.

*Green had one of his best games of the season. In addition to skating 26:21 and assisting on both goals, he took five shots (tied with Alex Ovechkin for the team lead), blocked three shots and almost tied the game late. He now has 22 points in 21 games and is tied with Toronto's Tomas Kaberle for the league lead among defensemen.

*John Carlson, who at 19 became only the ninth teenage defenseman to suit up for the Caps, was pleased with his steady, five-hit performance. But he was especially happy about getting his NHL debut out of the way.

"I guess it's all uphill from here," he said.

*In addition to Price's outstanding effort, I thought Tomas Plekanec really stood out tonight for the Canadiens. In addition to posting a goal and assist, he led his team in shots (5) and blocked shots (4).

*The Caps didn't say anything about the goalie situation after the game. It's hard to believe they'll take all three to Toronto, but ...

That's it from me tonight. I'll check in from the Air Canada Centre in the morning.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 20, 2009; 11:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poti suffers upper-body injury
Next: Varlamov appears set to start

Comments

it's to bad they couldn't pull this one out. this isn't the first time they have had to switch up lines as someone goes out mid-game with an injury.
better luck tomorrow north of the border

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 21, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

I agree. Too bad they couldn't pull it out. They had the lead at one point. But Carey Price looked like a Vezina Trophy winner against us.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

May I make a special request to the folks at VC. Please, oh please, do not EVER play "The Hockey Song" EVER again. I have never seen the Caps win when I hear that song played at VC. They played it tonight, soon after the Habs made it 3-1. The LAST time they played it, they had the lead against Columbus and blew it. They also played it when we saw the Rangers earlier this year.

Yes, I know there's no scientific basis for correlating the songs played at the game with the Caps' results but I'm superstitious in that regard. That song should be retired.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

@wocoliz (from previous thread)

You may be right. Women may have a different idea of "tough" than guys.

So many people think that Semin will sit out for the least little problem, on the health front. Yes, he's missed a lot of time but he seems like the type who tries to come back too soon.

He had a sprained ankle two years ago, tried to come back too soon and reinjured it. (The vast majority of his missed games that year were due to the ankle.) Last year, Fedorov had a sprained ankle as well. (He also tried coming back too soon.) I think the amount of time they missed was about similar.

Last year Semin had a pinched nerve in his back which took him forever to get over. He was back and then was cross-checked by David Backes of the Blues and was out again. (He also got sick in spring, missed a practice, but came back & played in a game the next day despite being totally subpar. They scratched him for the next game since it seemed like his sickness was dragging on and on.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Perreault probably won't be going back down for a while. Not with all the injuries.

Anyone ready to take a poll on who will be the next Hershey callup.

Candidates:

1) Alzner (provided that Knuble or Semin is put on LTIR or Nylander's ever gone)

2) Osala

3) Aucoin

4) Giroux

5) Bouchard (who's Perreault's best buddy)

6) Wilson (who had a good training camp)

7) Andrew Gordon (who's doing well at Hershey)

Or even Pinnizoto, Joudrey, or someone else.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Losing to Montreal sucks ... but I'll forget it soon. That's because I'll be in ATL on Saturday night rooting for the Thrashers against the hated Penguins.

Time to boo the crybaby.

Posted by: Cerealman | November 21, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 -- I've been at kids' hockey games tonight. So disappointed Caps lost. Re the bumper sticker, I ordered it. I've been telling my 3 hockey playing sons for at least a couple of years that Semin has the most skills. I derive pleasure watching him on the ice. Lately it seems he's been savaged, unfairly so considering others make similar mistakes. There's a certain vulnerability to him and certain types of people zero in on that and cannibalize. I am a little like him -- not interested in the spotlight, so understand it somewhat. I just felt he needs support! I don't usually jump out there on these things, but I REALLY hope he stays here. I also have one that says Trending Sasha -- it was a phrase on Japers' that summed him up: accept Semin being Semin (although they meant he's neither up nor down, just Sasha!). Do I hope he will improve those weak areas of his game? Absolutely, but I will take the whole package right now, too. I have a few extra and would mail one to you if you want it. I am @cox.net.

Posted by: Steakum | November 21, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

@Cerealman

There's only one problem with rooting for the Thrashers. While the Caps have a decent sized lead, the Thrashers have played less games so if they got hot, they'd be close to the Caps in points.

Of course, they are playing the Penguins and I agree that Atlanta is the lesser of two evils. At this point, I would root for ANY other hockey team against the Penguins, including the Rangers, NY Islanders, Philthy, or NJ.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

@Steakum

I agree Semin has been unfairly savaged. I'd say it's even worse than Schultz. Back when B Gordon had costly penalties in two consecutive losses, I was thinking "if that had been Semin, can you imagine the outcry."

Sure enough, he takes two penalties in the Detroit game, one costly, and the bloggers and writers really went to town on that one (when Semin had had a good game, up to that point.)

Time passes. Ovi goes out. And Semin has the "Game from Hell" versus NJ and, by this time, the writers and bloggers are really cutting him down, big time. To the point, where he's blamed for everything that has gone wrong with the Caps.

Other guys take costly penalties (Green, Knuble, Morrison, Clark; etc.) Other guys make turnovers (Ovi, Green, Laich; etc.) But Semin gets a disproportionate share of criticism. Sure, I'd like him to improve his weaknesses. Don't we all.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan (from a previous thread)

I saw your "good morning" greetings. Since it's late at night, I'll wish you good night.

Hope our boy is back soon. And healthy. Those wrist injuries are tricky.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

A. Gordon recalled.
Seriously.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | November 21, 2009 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Mike Green had one of his best games?? You can blame him for the 3rd goal scored by the Canadiens, he had a clear lane to get the puck out of the zone and failed to do so. Too many turnovers. Give me a break.

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

What a weird game. Caps hit the post like 21348123846812348 times. Price was actually playing decent, as was the Hab's defense. We had about 8 chances to tie it up, but it seems people couldn't bury it tonight. Oh well.

Calls in the game were weird.

Weird game. weird.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 3:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 12:47 AM |

Don't they play this every game?

If not, they should.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 3:07 AM | Report abuse

SOMEONE YELLS, BONZAI SCORES ! ITS A GOOD OL HOCKEY GAME!

THE GOOD OL HOCKEY GAME.....

(I may or may not be a little inebriated right now.)

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

And before one of you old geezers tell me it's Bobby, I know.

But for Caps fans it's Bonzai.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 3:12 AM | Report abuse

@Steakum, CapsFan75

Semin is easily our most skilled player. Datsyuk has been quoted as saying Semin will not only be a leader for a NHL team in the future, but that he also has the best hands ever. He put Semin in front of himself (humble, but Datsyuk's hands are impeccable), Kovalev, Parise, etc.

Should everyone take Datsyuk's opinion on hockey about anything?

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 3:19 AM | Report abuse

crosbyisajoke; take it from me whatever you do don't criticize Mike Green.

Posted by: capsfan01 | November 21, 2009 4:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

This is the definition of blind hate.

Posted by: JSchon | November 21, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

This is the definition of blind hate.

Posted by: JSchon | November 21, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

I mean the perfect example. There have been plenty of times that Mike Green can be pointed out for some criticism, but not last night. He was everywhere, skating like a mad man, defending his goalie, assisting on both goals and almost scoring the tying goal late in the game.

He was one of the best players on the ice last night period.

Posted by: JSchon | November 21, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

That was an exciting last 2 minutes...I really thought they would take it into OT! I have to agree, Perrault at times seemed to be the only Cap with his heart in the game! And as far as his penalty, there were a few weak and missed calls in this game...case and point would be the B.Mo "diving" call! Green did have some very good shots on goal and I reall thought one would make it in, but best game of the season I am not too sure about. For the first 25ish, maybe more, minutes the Caps looked lazy. Oh well...today is a new day and new game! Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: NatyBG | November 21, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I like Dave Steckel, he's good at what he does but he needs to contribute more on offense... 0 goals and 2 assists in 21 games are okay numbers if you are Rod Langway but they're not acceptible numbers for an NHL forward.

he has to contribute more on offense and/or has to become more of a Joel Otto type defensive center.

Posted by: joek443 | November 21, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

@joek443

Yea, it'd be really nice if Steckel could help a little more with the scoring. But BB is keeping him around for the playoffs, which is when he seems to shine. I know Stecks has been with us for just the one playoff last year, but I remember Bruce saying he was the same way in the playoffs in Hershey.
As long as Stecks can keep winning those faceoffs and not being a hinderance at the other end, I have no problem keeping him around. Notice how he took that second draw at the end after Backstrom didn't win the first one?

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | November 21, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

They don't play "The Hockey Song" during every game. As a 1st year STH, they've played it 3 times this year. All three times they lost.

I heard it a few times last year -- all losses. (Did poeple used to yell "Bonzai" instead of "Bobby" during it?)

On Bonzai, they actually had a cheer for our kids' swim team where they'd yell "Bonzai"

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"crosbyisajoke; take it from me whatever you do don't criticize Mike Green."

Posted by: capsfan01

If I remember correctly you didn't criticize him but rather made personal attacks on his faux-mohawk hair and being too into his car. This is not constructive criticism but hate talk. That is why posters went after you.

I think you and crosbyisajoke (like your moniker though) are not rational about Green. I absolutely agree that he needs to be stronger in the defensive side of his game, but his high risk, high reward style does fit well within this team's style of game.

I also agree with many posters (span of many many months of commentary) that what the Caps need is a better d-man balance--not in lieu of Green but in addition to Green.

What baffles me is how you and crosbyisajoke can still slam Green after last night's game. I agree with Richmondphil, weird weird game but last night's loss was NOT due to Green's efforts. So the negativity just doesn't come across as terribly useful or enlightening to this poster.

Having said that I do agree with you capsfan01 about Clark--not that he's better than Green--but that he is great gritty player and he's playing well this season so far. I've always been a fan of his and thought it was tough when he was injured.

Also I really miss Knuble. He's valuable enough I don't think he should be on long-term injured reserves because if he can be back before ten games then we want him.

How it affects the salary cap and call-ups I leave that to this board's capologists (sp?) to comment. Nylander finally making a decision would really give us breathing room though--please do it Nyls!

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I missed Poti going out injured--I was confused by all the line changes and saw Sloan switch back to d. Just didn't realize why. That is also a reason for the player's lack of "being-in-sync" last night.

We were also surrounded by a lot of drunk young guys yelling. I don't mind the occasional curse word but last night was exhausting. And the two rows in front of us kept standing up while play was in progress. I guess this is when I realize that I am definitely not new anymore although my husband very kindly made sure I knew proper game etiquette. Yeah weird weird night. The Caps/Rangers game was so much more enjoyable.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday, Hockeybuzz posted the rumor that Edmonton is trying to make a deal for either Kovalchuk or Semin. That generated a small amount of discussion here. The report on HB is that Atlanta flatly turned them down. I'd say, if Atlanta lets Kovy go (either in trade or as FA), they might as well close up shop.

What would Edmonton offer? Their best player is Justin Penner who is currently ahead of Semin in points, both goals and assists and is slightly older. In no previous year, has he ever topped Semin in points. So, if a trade was to happen involving those two players and if both sides agreed on a deal.... Last year (or any previous year), the Caps would NOT have agreed to that trade, even up. This year, on the other hand, Edmonton fans would scream bloody murder if Penner were traded even up for Semin.

Of course, how reliable is Hockey Buzz, anyhow?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Steckel isn't going anywhere as long as BB is here, and I totally agree. Steckel is a demon on the dot, is on the first-team PK, and centers what is usually the over-energy line. I love Steckel. Also, and I may be wrong, but Stecks' faceoff technique of getting his hand down at the blade, wide stance, and head right down on the dot - I think Gordon and the others have learned from him. And, Crosby just hates facing off against him. For his money, and I'd get him up over a mil in the off-season, he's gold.

Posted by: saintex | November 21, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you saintex--Stecks is a face-off demon.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Eh when it comes to hockeybuzz I like Steve Hindle on the Caps. Otherwise It's about as useful as week-old newspapers. I'd be shocked if there really were trade rumors with them with Semin. Our team missed Semin last night on the PP.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, anyone concerned with OV's play? I'm hoping its a conditioning thing, and not that he's still nursing the injury. If its the latter, he most certainly will re-aggrivate it.

Posted by: floms | November 21, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Like I said earlier I like Steckel and he had good playoffs last spring. But even your defensive forwards have to contribute on offense occasionally. The only guys who can get away with numbers like 0 goal and 2 assists in 21 games are shutdown d-men like Langway or goons. 10 goals and 20 assists/year are achievable numbers for any forward who takes regular shifts.

if he can't contribute more on offense, he has to start playing more physical hockey and really become a shutdown defensive center like Joel Otto who could always do a superb defensive job against Gretzky and Messier during their prime when he played for the Flames. Otto and Steckel are about the same size, 6'5 220, both from the mid-west and college hockey. He needs to start punishing guys like Crosby and Malkin the way Otto used to do it to Gretzky and Messier if he can't contribute anything on offense.

Posted by: joek443 | November 21, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@ newbiecapsfan07

Agreed. Our Power Play did not look too good last night sans Semin. 0 for 3.

The Caps won the two games where Semin missed due to illness but the Power Play unit was the "Shorthanded Scoring Opportunity for the other team" unit in those two games.

(The only PP goal they scored w/o Semin all year was Ovi's goal against the Rangers.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Per Tarik and Corey on Twitter:

Andrew Gordon recalled from Hershey.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@floms

Boudreau himself said that Ovi wasn't on the top of his game yesterday.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@tess2201

No surprise that Andrew Gordon's the callup. We need forwards even worse than defensemen. And AG is having a great year at Hershey. What line should they put him on? We have a vacancy sign at 1st line right wing (since the usual suspects for that job are out with injury).

Someone else hinted that this was happening in a late night post.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 10:39 AM |

A lot of their bloggers are reputable..some of them are as retarded as Eklund. Steve Hindle does a nice job covering the Caps over there.

@Capsfan75
I don't know if they actually play it every game, but they should! When I was a kid, one of the things I remember is singing along to the hockey song at the Pringle Center.

And for a time, the Caps altered the lyrics and had on the screen "Someone yells, Bonzai scores!" (or was it just Bondra?) Song is quite nostalgic to me.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | November 21, 2009 11:04 AM |
I agree, but I don't see it happening. Steckel just isn't that guy to swing his body around, which is sad since he has the frame for it.

Stecks gets quite a number of scoring chances though, he just never seems to bury it. He skates kind of awkwardly, but then again, he's 6 foot 5.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

With all this Semin bashing going on here I’m compelled to say something good here. Semin is like a box of chocolate, you never know what … That’s why he’s such a joy to watch play. He’s an integral part of why this team is so thrilling to watch. I really hope we keep him.

Posted by: guer_j | November 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm not too concerned about last night's loss. They had a lot of new guys in the lineup, so of course the chemistry was off. Ovi was really having an off night, but it happens.

Carlson looked good. He was a hitting machine and had a couple scoring chances. Of course I still think that GMGM should send him, Perreault, Semin, and Green to Atlanta for the greatest hockey player in the world...Rich Peverly! Gotta sell high, McPhee! j/k

@Board Capologists

How are the Caps able to call up so many Hershey players? I guess Knuble, B. Gordon, Laing and maybe Jurcina will go on LTIR but is that enough to cover Carlson, Neuvy, Beagle, Perreault, A. Gordon and another defenseman?

Posted by: ablake70 | November 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm no capologist, but wasn't there speculation about sending Neuvy down and having Theo back up Varly on the trip. That would free up space to call up Gordon I would think.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

_____________________________________
Peverley is the man! His cap hit is below the minimum! I believe he is the most productive person in terms of pts per salary.

But I would only trade Varlamov, Ovi, and Alzner.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2009 11:50 AM |

Really..how?

Theo makes a ton more money.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

But Theo's salary is already being counted in the salary cap. He's not on LTIR. So right now they're carrying 3 goalies. Send Neuvy down and it frees up space.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 21, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

But I would only trade Varlamov, Ovi, and Alzner.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 11:51 AM

I don't think Atlanta would take Alzner. Clearly, the kid is a bust. If he were any good he would have made sure his cap hit was less than Carlson's so that he would have been called up. Maybe they'll take Backstrom instead?

Posted by: ablake70 | November 21, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

richmondphil--yes I agree with you about steve Hindle--you were in fact the one who suggested I read him. I guess I was really referring to Ekland--this is the third Caps rumor this season thus far (I think) and I just don't bother with him

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Don't think I want to hear "Hockey Song" at every game. That would consign the Caps to the cellar. (LOL) Okay, I'm kidding about that last remark but have yet to hear it in a winning cause in Caps Land.

Where is Pringle Center, anyhow?

A co-worker of mine says he hopes they retire "The Hockey Song". He could never stand it. (He is not as superstitious as me, in that regard but had heard my carping.) He went to the infamous Columbus game and when they played that song, he thought of me.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@guer_j

Interesting comment on Semin -- like Chocolate. He's like my first born, witgh similar strengths and weaknesses. (But she's more extroverted.)

Like you, I don't want him gone but he was being bashed so badly even before the 1st NJ game and that game was the last straw for many.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@rishmondPhil

I'm sure your comment on the players to trade (Ovi, Varly, Alzner) for Peverly are sarcastic, of course.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | November 21, 2009 11:57 AM |

Backstrom isn't worth half a Peverley.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

andrew gordon has been recalled from hersehy, hes on a flight to toronto now

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 21, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 21, 2009 11:59 AM |

The CBJ game this year? That was one of the few I went to this year.
That reminds me, I put in a bid on a silent auction for 2 Caps tickets behind the glass. I only put 150$, but I'm thinking there wasn't too many Caps fans there. I think most people were going for those Redskins/Dallas tickets.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

That Semin to Edmonton rumor was started by a bunch of web GMs trying to find a place that would take a risk on Semin. Right now these web GM have foreseen a second line of
Semin-Horcoff-Jagr

This just in from Ecklund

Jaromir Jagr returns from the KHL to the Edmonton Oilers so he can be reunited with his old teammates Alexander Semin and Michael Nylander.

Better make that 2nd line
Semin-Nylander-Jagr

Posted by: ablake70 | November 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom isn't worth half a Peverley.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 12:17 PM

Backstrom, Ovi, Green, Semin, Carlson, and Slaphot for Rich Peverely. If GMGM can't make this happen, he should be fired!

Posted by: ablake70 | November 21, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70 | November 21, 2009 12:26 PM |

As long as Brett Stretch Leonhardt stays.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 21, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@Capsfan01 and Newbiecapsfan07

First of all, I have never criticized Green for his hair or his car, I don't care, get your facts straight. Mike Green is a terrible defenseman, period. He is an excellent skater, has a great shot, but is not accountable in his own zone. He turns the puck over CONSTANTLY, maybe you should pay more attention to his defensive play than being caught up in his offensive hype. Why do you think Clark got in his face?

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Green played a great game last night and if no objective observer could think otherwise. Just because he doesn't put people through the glass doesn't mean he wasn't playing good defense. His puck rushing was great, oh by the way, moving the puck up the ice is part of being a good dman. Two assist no minus and all while logging serious ice time in poti's absence.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 21, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@crosbyisajoke--I don't think you read my post very carefully---I was responding to capsfan01 not you-that poster was defending your opinion of Green. Capsfan01 was the poster who referenced Greenie's hair and car and also spoke highly of Clark.

Since you both had come out strongly against Green in previous threads I decided to discuss Green's play with both of you.

My point--which you still have not addressed--is that according to last night's game you are wrong in your estimate of Green. He did play well last night.

If you read my post then you will see that I agree with many Greenie critics that Green has aspects of his game that he should improve upon. However I believe that we need to find defensive players that complement his style. Not simply trade him away. Whether you like Green's d-style or not, he is an unusual defensive player that many GMs would happily add to their roster.

Moreover, we fans have no idea of why Clark and Green got into a fight--it may well have had NOTHING to do with hockey. So all you are doing is making an assumption and we all know what word is in "ASSumption"

Capsfan01 had felt that criticism of Green was not allowed on this board. That simply isn't true for many of us. I am open to constructive criticism but not personal attacks. The same goes for you. Your rant is only a rant. And rather mean-spirited at that. I was actually trying to discuss the issue. Not flame you.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

As for pushing people into the glass, I did enjoy Laich upending one of the Montreal players onto their bench. It was one the better moments.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I am not saying that "putting people through the glass" makes a good defenseman. I am saying that he turns the puck over way too much and is out of position far too often in his own zone. I agree, moving the puck up the ice is part of being a good defenseman, but you can't move the puck up the ice if you are constantly turning it over. In regard to the Clark incident, I know for a FACT the altercation stemmed from Green "not being a team player" and not "giving 100 percent in practice." Do any of you go to the games and watch warm-ups? Do you see how Green is a show boat (one of the only guys not wearing a helmet, playing with the puck etc.) I think that maybe all of the publicity did get to him this year, he needs to come back down to earth and play his position, that is all I am saying. Thank you.

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@crosbyisajoke--um a lot of us go to the practices!!!! That won't work on this board.

So you are telling me that YOU WERE THERE at THAT PRACTICE and not only WITNESSED but HEARD the full ALTERCATION. So you are saying you were ON THE ICE with them getting into it with them.

Sorry but when ANYBODY tells me that they know something FOR A FACT and it sounds a lot like GOSSIP and INNUENDO then NO I don't buy into YOUR story.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@crosbyisajoke--

So if you saw last night's game, which was a good one for Green, why don't you list all of the turnovers and other bad plays Green made--please do be specific--especially with any horrible turnovers that turned into breakaways for Montreal.

Then list all of the things he did right last night including moving the puck, assists/shots and takeaways etc. etc. Throw in a hipcheck or two--don't actually recall if he did.

See which list is longer. But be fair--list everything you can think of both god and bad plays.

Somehow this awful awful player got two assists and a star for the game last night and is a near leader in points for d-men across the league.

Sorry I don't buy your he's the worst d-man ever. I do buy he needs to improve his game and here is where---and state them.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I meant "good" not "god." I like Green but he's definitely not god-like. I reserve that for Ovi and he certainly wasn't that last night.

Hope tonight's game is better. They are a banged-up bunch.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

BTW I finally got a copy of BB's book--I'm only up to when he arrived in Hershey. It definitely reads like he talks--Gabby and stream-of-consciousness. Very good though. I'm thoroughly enjoying the behind the scenes view of the hockey world at all levels. I'm can't wait to get to the chapter where he discusses his system so I can understand it better.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@newbiecapsfan

I do not care if you believe me in regards to Chris Clark. No I was not there, I would not waste my time going to practices, but you can take that info to the bank, lets leave it at that.

Once again, Montreal's third goal last night can be directly attributed to Green. If you were watching, Montreal was on a PP and Green had a clear lane to clear the puck. But he didn't, instead he put it right on the tape of the opposing D Man, 10 seconds later the puck is in the back of the net. It doesn't matter that Laich was in the box, the fact is Green HAS to make that play. I am not saying he is a terrible player, just that he may be better suited as a forward, he seems to play that position better.

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@newbiecapsfan

Your name seems to suit you, you do seem like a "new" caps fan. FYI, before you try and discuss hockey, maybe you should get through that new book of yours, it will do wonders for your knowledge of the game. Maybe the deadskins will start winning and you can go back to rooting for them, but learn the game before you comment on a game that you just don't seem to understand.

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Okay crosbyisajoke--enough of the flaming. It's gotten out of hand. Where on earth did you get the idea that I liked football. And I'm new to hockey in that I started watching the Caps in 07. But calling me ignorant really isn't a good way to persuade me to your point of view. You were calling Green a terrible d-man in your posts. I originally was attempting to discuss it with you and another poster. You misunderstood to whom I was directing my points in that post. We can agree to disagree on Green.

As to the Clark/Green incident, if you don't go to the practices as you suggested in your post and you didn't see the altercation then you don't know ANYTHING about the fight between Clark and Green other than what was reported here. We are back to you making ASSUMPTIONS.

And I might add that Ovi does not wear his helmet during warmups before the games. Does this lessen him in your eyes.

Your hyperbole is beyond the pale!!!! Good day to you. I'm going to watch the game now.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 21, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

@newbiecapsfan07

Again, I do know about the incident, you don't know who I am, how do you know what I do or don't know, it doesn't matter. Again, with Green, go look up the give-away stats on NHL.com. That will say it all, and before you say Ovechkin is near the top of the list with Green, he is a forward, for a defenseman to turn the puck over as much as he does is unacceptable. And finally, the helmet, Green used to wear his helmet during warm-ups, until he was "too cool", it's not just about the helmet, it is the way he carries himself on and off the ice, again, that was why Clarkie was upset, not being a team guy and slacking off. Period.

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Green has made at least 4 turnovers in OT tonight, just OT. Plus rushing the puck down the ice, turning it over, and then coming back in to the play and being offside, joke.

Posted by: crosbyisajoke | November 21, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse