Caps 2, Predators 1, Overtime

The Caps got back on the road and finally won one tonight after dropping four straight at home. Sergei Fedorov's goal 2:20 into overtime gave Washington a 2-1 victory over the Nashville Predators in a game that featured several nasty altercations.

Tarik is working on a story and will post in much greater detail sometime soon. In the meantime, tell us what you think.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 10, 2009; 10:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brashear Out (Updated)
Next: Slump Buster

Comments

Newposted:

Maybe I'm just the minimizing here, as I am not as astute of hockey person as others, but why was there such a panic over a four game losing streak?

I mean, Boston had a bad stretch this year, as did Philly and the Pens and just about every other team this year. Carolina has been hot of late, but have sucked WSA at times...

Prior to this game, we had a nine point lead on Carolina and were one point from second overall in the East.

I am glad the losing streak is over, but we aren't talking Armageddon here...

Posted by: TimDz | March 10, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

... and a beautiful goal it was, Thanks Feds!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | March 10, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Laich, Feds, and Semin were absolutely SICK tonight. Kudos too to Morrisonn for some outstanding work on the blue line.

I hope Brash is OK for Thursday.

Posted by: ThomasJefferson | March 10, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Can't say enough how big of a win this is, not just for the 2 points but how we got them. Puts us in just the right mood for Philly on Thursday.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 10, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Tim people like to freak out over very small losing streaks because we've been SO good this year. No one likes to mention that Boston/Det/SJ have all been playing poorly of late along with us...it's always some terrible flaw we've missed all season that is just now coming to the forefront to be our undoing.

No panic, just play our game.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 10, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Sergei Federov says: "From Russia with... GLOVE SIDE!"

great win Caps!! now let's carry the momentum with us into Philthy!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 10, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Mo played a great game, as did Erskine.

We made an average goalie look great, but 2 points is 2 points. Best possible outcome.

Ovie looked like the Caps 5th best winger

Posted by: gtydings | March 10, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@scmonty1

Bradley got busted up pretty good. Erskine faired well considering he had 3 or 4 punches thrown at him before he realized he was in a fight.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 10, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

That's a relief. Way to go Caps!

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 10, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Dave: I guess that was my point...It's the law of averages here. A 4 game losing streak now is no big deal. a 4 game losing streak in April and it's "bring out the golf clubs" time...

I think now is as good as time as any to have a streak of bad games...especially given our place in the standings...

Posted by: TimDz | March 10, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

TimDz,
You are right about a losing streak and the other teams as well, but this 4 game losing streak is happening now. Armageddon no, but the regular season ends in only a month (last game April 11th) so this losing streak is abit more amplified, thats all.

Great win again boys. Where is cheef? lol....

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | March 10, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

scmonty1:
Brash just crumbled; it was weird. Brads stood his ground but was pummeled bloody (big time). Erskine did well (but, then again, it was Baleak's second fight of the night!). Crazy. Gotta say, I am not a fight fan, but maybe that's what they needed to get going, especially since Brads fought seconds after Brash fell (he was also finishing off some dirty stuff from earlier in the period). Who knows. Regardless, it was pretty odd.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 10, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

wow, Dan Ellis is the losing goaltender and gets the FIRST STAR of the game. that tells you just how insanely ridiculous he was in goal tonight.

I think Nashville dressed Patrick Roy up as goalie tonight in Dan Ellis' uniform.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 10, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

great win, ellis def stole a point for the preds because it should've been a run away win. poor ovie got robbed so many times. oh well we got the W and i'm ready for the game in philly. see all other caps fans there

Posted by: capsfan387 | March 10, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

So it Brash is going to be out for any length of time, who gets the callup from Hershey? Grant McNeill can throw a good punch but I'm thinking he's on a Hershey-only contract.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 10, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

i think that was the sexy lumberjacks best game of the year........who are the p***y's saying they dont like the fighting? go watch soccer

Posted by: _stevo | March 10, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

@sarge: No kidding, the guy stood on his head. And he wasn't even supposed to play tonight. He definitely stole them a point and I think he deserved the first star.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 10, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I'd call Ovie our 5th best winger. Set up Backstrom's pretty goal and if not for a great stop by Ellis he would've pumped home the game winner. I wonder if his heel injury is causing him to shift his balance when he goes on one leg to take a shot though, because he's fanning on a lot of stuff.

Laich was very strong tonight though, I'm not hating on what Brash brings to the team but Bradley and Gordo seemed to have more spring out there playing with Brooksie. Can't say enough about what Brads does for this team...I wish he'd chip in a little more offensively from time to time but the guy always gives it everything.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 10, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think TooToo jumped into that hit on Bras?

Posted by: capsnation | March 10, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Tootoo says (about the Caps) our "defensive game isnt where it should be". Thats telling...

He said it "matter of factly", like everyone knows it. Do we have a notoriously suspect defensive?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 10, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

yeah we do. It's been noted since the beginning our blue line regiment isnt exactly the strongest. But we play an offense first system.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 10, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

stevo:
That would be me. You got somethin' to say about it?!? ;-)

Erskine has really stepped up his game lately, eh?

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 10, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Lost the fights but won the game.

That's all that counts.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 10, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I think with Pothier potentially close to coming back, all of our defensemen are stepping it up, because nobody wants to be the one who gets replaced.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 10, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

TimDz

It's the time of year. That and we remember how the Caps got into the playoffs last year. We went on a tear and Carolina stumbled - a lot. They were 11 points up on us at one point when we were making our push. The fear (rational or not) is that it could happen again only this time to us.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 10, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

@boo

i might have something to say, 3 fights is not that many, but i wont bust yourchops because you acknowledged erskine's solid play tonight

Posted by: _stevo | March 10, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Fighting is a part of the game, but i think the whole fight when theres both team have their enforcers on the ice is stupid. If something goes down and there needs to be a fight then it should go down right then, not until theres a faceoff with both enforcers on.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 10, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

@ TimDz

I think that a lot of this worry over the losing streak is because of our (long) history. To make an analogy: we have been dating the hottest girl on campus (for JMU, Kittpawz, and the rest of the ladies: please substitute "guy" for "girl" in this analogy) all year and we cannot believe she is still knockin' boots with us (leading the division).

But now it is March. She went away for Spring Break and we did not hear a thing (four game losing streak). We are absolutely terrified that she met some new guy and we are going to have to go back to bachelor days, which involve no booty calls (or playoffs).

Tonight, the girlfriend came back from spring break (road win).

We do not have a great hockey history in DC. (No offense folks: I am a long time fan, attending games in 1974, and a former season ticket holder, until three little ones convinced me there is not time to attend so many games in person.) Until we put a ring on this hot chick (Stanley Cup) a lot of us will be afraid that she is running away to some other guy (or we have lousy records again).

(The most disturbing part of this post for me is that you can make a pretty good argument that the hot chick I refer to is actually Bruce Boudreau. That is simply disturbing.)

Posted by: crooks_c | March 10, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

not only we got the 2 points but we definitely looked like the old Caps. Ferocious forechecking, and tons of scoring chances. This game should have been 5-1 or something. What's good is that they didn't stop the pressure on Ellis even though Ellis was stoning them point blank range. They didn't get frustrated and did things individually like before.

You know what's really funny and really pathetic, is that there are losers out there who watch Caps game, follow the Caps, post on these boards religiously, yet they hate the Caps. I mean, to dedicate a huge portion of your life to something you hate is both pathetic and incredibly idiotic.

Posted by: Andoy | March 10, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

stevo:
lol - pfew! But seriously, what do you expect? I'm a chick, after all ... wouldn't it be kinda scary if I was into fighting?

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 10, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Stevo

I don't mind a hockey fight. But 3 in one game is a bit much. Specially when you lose them all.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 10, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Bears at home tomorrow night against Springfield. Anxious to get a look at Pothier now that he's gotten a couple of games under his belt. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 10, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

BB is a man's man.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 10, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tess!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 10, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

crooks_c:
good analogy :) (except the BB part)

Posted by: tess2201 | March 10, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

i would hardly say erskine lost that fight, the other two yes

Posted by: _stevo | March 10, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@greg

I don't think Erskine lost his fight. A draw perhaps but he was definitely landing some rights that seemed to connect a little more than Belak's.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 10, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@Andoy

They only post religiously when the Caps are losing. So I guess there is alot of extra anger spewing out of them this season when they finally get to post since they haven't been losing too much.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 10, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Dropping the gloves at the faceoffs for a challenge fight like tonight will get you an extra 10 min. according to the word coming out of the GM meeting. More instigator penalties for fighting because of a clean hit also.
Change the channel to the extreme fighting garbage if you like that stuff. It demeans a great sport.

Posted by: OldFan | March 10, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@ crooks: I am a psychologist by trade (seriously) and that BB reference is disturbing on many levels...

Your point is well taken nonetheless. I have watched from the beginning as well (Memories of going to games with my late father back at the old Cap Centre...my first game ever I witnessed a penalty shot by Hartlan Monahan...not sure of the spelling there) and know of the heartbreak. I just believe that a losing spell now is better than one in Mid April...

Posted by: TimDz | March 10, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

TimDz, it is because we are Caps fans. We are conditioned since birth to expect to see all our hopes and dreams dashed in the most painful ways possible. This year, this year has been UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE! Finally, an elite team, and the rest of the world says "Yep, that's one fine hockey club they've got there!" (unless they are from Pittsburgh, but the less said about them the better.) And we've been waiting, rightly or wrongly, for the other shoe to drop since the moment the season started. Just as hating the Penguins is in our blood, watching the greatest hopes be smashed in the most cruel of ways is something we have come to accept as fully part of being a Caps fan.

God (Vishnu, Buddha, Allah, Yahweh, and the rest of you) willing, this is the year that all changes. But I'm a lifer, so until I see that sacred cup being paraded down Pennsylvania Ave., I'm not quite ready to believe the pain is over.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 10, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

The problem with the losing streak wasn't that they were losing, it's that they weren't even trying. Given the relative youth and inexperience on this team, getting into a mindset that it's okay to take the night off when they're up against a team they should beat is a dangerous thing, and a slump could easily turn into a catastrophe. Not having a real captain in the locker room and on the ice every day is a real problem for this team, in my opinion.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | March 10, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

@-Boo-: In my Line of work, 75 percent of my clientele would love to meet you...

hows THAT for scary?

Posted by: TimDz | March 10, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

@ TimDz

Agree totally about this being the right time for a losing streak. If you read Boswell's recent column on the topic it would further bring things into perspective. However, as a long time fan, I am still terribly anxious.

BTW: don't tell my wife about the BB reference. She already thinks that my Caps habit is unhealthy. If she thinks I am looking at BB the wrong way I will never be able to watch the games again.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 10, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Why did Benanati do the game on vs tonight-buff at philly and not the caps game? I can understand picking up some extra work when the Caps are off but come on man. Smokin Al did a good job as always but Joe you are either with us or against us.

Posted by: daddy_axe | March 10, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

@crooks: As a shrink, I've kept more damaging secrets than that...

Posted by: TimDz | March 10, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I think with his contract with Vs, if theres a tuesday night game, he's one of the guys calling it.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 10, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Erskine v. Belak tilt just happened and is fine with me. But get rid of the staged fights.

If the NHL wants to limit fighting and raise scoring chances just make the teams play 4 on 4 for the coincidental fighting majors, just like they do for minor penalties.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | March 10, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

OK. I can give Erskine a draw. I still think it would go to a decision of the judges and not on points.

Brash was a TKO, Pretty boy Brads was a loss on points.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 10, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Stevo,
If you like fighting so much, there's plenty out there for you to watch also; what with the Cage/ Ultimate/ MMA Fighting craze that's sweeping all the non-p*$$ys off their collective feet.
I like to watch graceful skating, crisp passing, ridiculous goals and saves, and some teeth rattling hits, but the way fighting has been regulated in the NHL, it means very little anymore. So, if your guy cheap shots my guy, we have to send two totally different guys out there to duke it out? Hunh?!?

I also like soccer. And I'm not a fan of any bloodsports. After all, the object of hockey is to score more goals than the other team, the object of boxing or MMA, etc. is to pummel another human into unconsciousness. Not down.

Posted by: kevbnyc | March 10, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Thursday will be huge for the Caps collective confidance -- win and the losing monkey is truly off their back

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 10, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Re Beninati and Vs - remember too that Comcast owns Versus - so I guess they can decide whether he does the Caps or the Vs game. Either way - I was so happy with the result I didn't care who was talking!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | March 10, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

@crooks_c: you're a sick mofo... but I like it. lol.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 10, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Personally I loved the fact Joe B. was missing. I did not have to scream at the TV once tonight about letting us know what was going on in the game. As a matter of fact I think I actually enjoyed the broadcast.
Versus, please KEEP him.

Posted by: OldFan | March 10, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody else notice that the cameraman was very slow to react to big shots and quick passes? He would pan over like, la ti da, gonna take my time here. Somebody needed to give a 5 hour energy!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 10, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

*drink*

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 10, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

@kevbnyc

oh god, go watch soccer or the nba or the russian hockey leaugues...this nhl hockey, there is fighting. when there is a cheap shotthere should hell to pay for the other team

@ greg s

how do you call brads a pretty boy? you are better than that

Posted by: _stevo | March 10, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I believe, Joe B. is the number two play-by-play man for Vs. Usually either he or Doc (I think the number 1) will call the game on Vs. when they already don't have a game that night. Tonight both were suppose to call games so Joe B. took the Vs. game. Of course, I could be wrong. :)

As for the camera work. Comcast's camera work is perhaps the worst in the NHL, or at least in the worst five. Bad camera angles used, focusing on players on the bench during action, slow cameras.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | March 10, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Best game in weeks. We should have won 5-1.

Cameraman definitely was snoozing.

Love the hit my Mo. He is not as solid as last year, but he definitely shows more of a snarl at times. I wish it was more consistent.

The entire team showed desperation.

Semin is on fire.

Posted by: bugboy | March 10, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95

Yes, I was bothered by that too. I decided he was talking on the phone or looking around at something besides his monitor.

It's not like thousands of people are watching what his camera shoots or anything

Posted by: austinsteve | March 10, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Ellis' save on Backstrom was the highlight of the night on NHL Network.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 10, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I've ever seen Bradley win a fight. He will go, but he holds his own at best.

You can not keep that guy off the ice though. No matter how many stitches it takes, he comes back.

We won a game earlier this year or late last year where he came back from mid-game surgery and Ovie was talking about it after the game. Anyone know what game that was?

Posted by: bugboy | March 10, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Brasher just got himself knocked out of the NHL. Bradley.... May the force of punches be with you.

Just call up two guys who can chip in. Again, no support from the last two lines. Hello Giroux!!!

Posted by: blanknerc | March 11, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

as it stands after todays games, if the season ended today - 1st round would be against the pens. i'd love to see the caps sweep them

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 11, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: austinsteve | March 11, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Awesome game. Go Caps!

Posted by: Sonyask | March 11, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Miyagi hate fighting.

Posted by: kevbnyc | March 11, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Will someone please get Bradley to stop fighting. I enjoy a fight as much as the next guy, but it's painful to keep seeing this guy get hurt and get more facial scars.

Posted by: Padow1 | March 11, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Well that was fun! Bummed I missed "Pretty Boy" fight, if only because he needs moral support. You know he probably goes into every fight expecting to get his butt whooped, yet does it anyways. God love him, he's one tough cookie. Speaking of, Brooks certainly seems to step his offensive game up after the trade deadline.

Tess (and other Bears fans), thanks for keeping us up-to-date on Pothier!

Oh, one more thing about the game yesterday. As much as I love our team and am okay with not doing anything, Morris was by far the most solid Ranger on the ice and would have looked darn good in a Caps jersey. The few times I saw a Ranger make a good play, it was him.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 11, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

stevo,
oh god, I am a fan of NHL hockey, I just think they have regulated the fighting too much. I got nothing against the rough stuff; but giving Clark a game misconduct and 19, that's NINETEEN, penalty minutes for dusting up a Flyer who desperately needed it in BB's first game last season; that's lame and it sucks. And don't tell me what to watch or call me a p***y from behind your keyboard tough guy. Tarik invited my opinion so I posted it.

Posted by: kevbnyc | March 11, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I like the fights, even if they didn't have the best endings, and I like the fact that Mike Green learned how to hit in time for tonight's game.

Nashville's goalie had a great game. This could have been 4-1.

But it's 2-1 and it's a win and I'll take it. I thought Washington did a great job carrying over its third period play from the Pittsburgh game to this one.

Posted by: writered21 | March 11, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Excuse me, Lindsay invited me to tell ya "what I think".

Posted by: kevbnyc | March 11, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I have been a hockey fan for 50 years, had season tickets to the Caps first season (and others), played over 1,000 amateur games, and don't like fighting in the NHL.

Allowing fighting is the main reason the NHL is considered the equivalent of a "mid-major" compared to the NHL, NBA, and MLB.

I agree completely with getting rid of staged fights. Get rid of fighters like Brashear and Georges Laraque and replace them with hockey players.

--and _stevo, before you blast me too, put on some skates and fight Brash, Brads or Laraque, then tell me how you feel about fighting.

Posted by: rw-c | March 11, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Bradley memorably won a fight last year (Feb. 26, to be extact, trade deadline day) against Aaron Voros from the Wild. There's actually this great picture of Bradley's fist coming at Voros, maybe some blood, and this crazed, I-am-going to beat-you-to-a-bloody-pulp look on his face. (I think Voros had been taking some liberties with Semin that night and Bradley had just had enough)

I don't think the video does it justice, but here it is on hockeyfights.com: http://hockeyfights.com/fights/41813

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 11, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

My buddies and I cringed when Bradley engaged Too-too.

I appreciate the old school fans that expect to see a lot of fighting. In this era, however, the skill set is different and the fights are often diluted or lame. So boys, keep your gloves on its warranted or can benefit the team.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | March 11, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

but some days, I just really want to see an all out brawl, like the Wings-Avs in 1997!

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 11, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I only like fights when we win them. Watching Brash get dropped kind of hurt a little. It was like when I was 7 and I saw Buster Douglas whip up on Iron Mike. Well, not that sad but still. He was due for one, I don't see this as a reoccurring thing.

Posted by: epostell | March 11, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Take it back OldFan.

JOE B is the best play by play anouncer ever! I cant stand when he isnt calling the game.

Al Koken is absolutely awful!!

Posted by: digster1013 | March 11, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse