Capitals announce training camp rosters and schedule

The Caps announced the schedules and rosters for both rookie and training camp this afternoon. Rookie camp opens Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, while formal training camp begins with three sessions -- 10 a.m., 11:15 a.m. and 1 p.m. -- on Saturday Sept. 18.

All on-ice sessions at KCI are free and open to the public. You can check out the full schedule here and the rosters for both rookie camp and training camp here.

By Katie Carrera  |  September 9, 2010; 3:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps' draft picks eager to prove themselves at rookie camp
Next: Catching up with Braden Holtby, Mike Green and Eric Fehr

Comments

Theo is selling his house in DC. While that may not be a big shocker who he's selling it to might be. Backy! Guess that new contract is being spent on a lil real estate. So the question of the day is, what kind of deal did Theo give Backy? LOL! I'm sure it was fine. Truth be told OV, Backy & Theo were and still are very close friends.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 9, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3(from previous thread)

@sgm3

The Penguins also werent improving with that current group until they made the coaching switch and caught fire down the stretch. So something major did change, the way they played. Thats kind of important buddy.

Posted by: ThePat | September 9, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

True, buddy. They switched to a coach who made the Penguins play a more open and offensive style than they were before.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Its great to hear about caps finally starting again but,Right about now the only announcement I want to here about is when the caps make a move to strenghten the blue line and add a REAL 2nd line center.If GMGM rally thinks he can go into this season with the same line up and expect different results,well isnt that the recipe for INSANITY! Hes insane in the brain if thats what he thinks.But maybe I'm the crazy one for expecting him to change and actually doin something to help this team.Why is it so hard to be a caps fan?!

Posted by: gratefuldid | September 9, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

No Orlov or Kuznetsov.

Posted by: zmega | September 9, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Orlov and Kuznetsov have committments to their KHL teams whose training camps have already started.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 9, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

gratefuldid:

Have you joined the........

DARK SIDE???!!!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 9, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Belanger is not on the training camp roster. Wasn't he supposed to have a signed deal in hand that was awaiting a a purported trade involving Flash before being announced?

Posted by: braunt | September 9, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

OK, found an article in the Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2010-09-08/boudreau-capitals-wont-trade-tomas-fleischmann) that quotes Boudreau as saying that Fleischman will not be moved and there is no deal with Belanger. Hmm ...

Posted by: braunt | September 9, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

OK, found an article in the Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2010-09-08/boudreau-capitals-wont-trade-tomas-fleischmann) that quotes Boudreau as saying that Fleischmann will not be moved and there is no deal with Belanger. Hmm ...

Posted by: braunt | September 9, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I guess that report made me do a double-take!

Posted by: braunt | September 9, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

so when's Ovi gonna show up at Nats Park and hit one out like Crosby did yesterday?

Posted by: joek443 | September 9, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

argh say it ainn't so jason!

anytime i hear of a well-respected leader like Jason Smith doing something like this, I always wonder about concussion effects. He played the game extremely hard and definitely gave and took some heavy hits. I mean, yeah he could just be an a-holio but I have to wonder if he had diagnosed or undiagnosed concussions that could lead to erratic behavior.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 9, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Posted by: sgm3 | September 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

in sgm-speak, that means they went to a more finesse style. In reality, they really got their forecheck going and still played solid team defense. I posted this in the last thread but when I watch the Pens play, they know how to play with a lead. They know how to switch gears. The Caps don't. We're still giving up 2 on 1s when we have a 3rd pd lead. Its stupid.

the Pens PKers are also more aggressive and disruptive.

the lesson here isn't that the Caps need to play a more wide open offensive style. Its that they need to forecheck more aggressively and commit to playing team D.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 9, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton...I agree with you on that. I think that has been the bottom line comment from many fans. As I have said before, we will know within 10 games or so if the team has learned anything.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | September 9, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Here is an excerpt from a Hockey News article the day Dan Bylsma was hired and Therrien was fired:

"Bylsma wants the Penguins to get back to utilizing their skill, speed and world-class players Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. Malkin is No. 1 in the NHL scoring race and Crosby, the 2006-07 champion, is third.

Therrien relied on a system in which every player, no matter his skill level offensively, was required to play tight defence, and there were rumblings in the dressing room that the players were no longer buying into the coach's disciplinarian ways."

Well cstanton1, how was my staement of "They switched to a coach who made the Penguins play a more open and offensive style than they were before" wrong? Please enlighten me.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 9, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

interesting, no belanger. The Caps seem to be bungling this off-season. There's a deal; no-deal; awaiting a trage; no-trade. As the CAPs burn through another season, winning the SE and qualifying early for the playoffs, remember this as the first sign of another early first round playoff out. The CAPS mantra must be: I'd rather be lucky than good. They were lucky to get Ovechkin, Semin and Backstrum, but it takes competence to build a champion. The CAPS are built to fill seats, not win the championship. No one in the CAPs organization has yet to prove this statement false, and the CAPS have done NOTHING since McPhee took over in 99.

Posted by: festus75 | September 9, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

If someone had told me the day after the Game 7 loss to Montreal, that come mid-September the Caps would have only added D. J. King to the roster...I would have said they were crazy! At least S. Morrisson didn't mind occasionally putting a body on someone, and he's gone. Is this absurd or what? I guess the plan is go with what is there, and add a few pieces at the trade deadline. That worked out well last year didn't it? You never know what GMGM is thinking, however my faith in BB is questionable at best. He must really think Halak is the only thing that kept him from the Cup!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | September 9, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

===

cuz you're one slippery eel. And i can read between your lines my friend. I'm watching you fokker. Every breath you take. Every move you make. I'll be watching. Can't you see, you belong to me

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 9, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@festus75

Not sure if this strengthens your point or not but McPhee took over as GM of the Caps in 1997.

Posted by: MReilly9 | September 9, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

@mreilly9

My god, you're right. My how time flies when you suck.... I wonder why he's still here?

Posted by: festus75 | September 9, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

when will everyone remember everything GM does is pokerfaced and behind the screen? And Boudreau to the hockey media- what do you expect him to say- what the Caps are actually up to? Chris Clark- the captain- had no idea he was gone until you guys did.

Belanger has said he's signed, just can't say who. No way Belanger is not on the roster opening night.

Posted by: capsfan7 | September 9, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

My statement was a simple statement that meant what it meant. You can make up whatever things you want that fit whatever you wish the person was saying even though there is no evidence to support your cojured up statements. You like to do that.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 9, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

yeah everyone knows McPhee is the greatest GM since Red Auerbach... we're still waiting for his version of the McHale/Parrish for Joe Barry Carroll trade.

Posted by: joek443 | September 9, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

you're right. Poti gets chewed up by a furious forecheck. He plays well at times, but I don't see him holding a Cup over his head. I'm sorry to say.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | September 9, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Tom - ok so I said I'd give you my thoughts on our Centers.

Lets start with what we know. Last yr this spot was held by BMo. You know 1st and foremost that I like BMo, always have. I was on record as saying that if his injury was surely behind him he'd have a great yr and was well worth the risk. Well he ended up playing pretty good til xmas and then he kinda ran outta gas but still was never "awful". So what we know is this, BMo scored 12G with 30A's, his salary was 1.5M. I was thinking of Flash but Bmo played in 74 games last yr & the majority of them were at 2C so I don't believe it's a factor. Think of this as more of a position than a player. So that's what you got out of THAT position slot in 09-10.

Now what we don't know or what we need to learn more about. MP & MJ. We have a little more experience with MP but nobody questions who has the better skillset. Regardless if we're looking at this as a position then even if they split time there it's ok. MP is making 500k & MJ is 900k.

My conclusion is this. GMGM is saving .7M - 1M in cap space banking on the fact the he can get the same production if not better out of MP & MJ (or out of the 2C spot occupied by MP & MJ). None of the 3 players are a defensive liability so I didn't really talk about that.

My point. I don't know that it's a bad gamble to take. You've got the $ & cap space to do anything at any time if it blows up in your face. Even if MJ won the job and played exactly the same way as BMo that's not a bad situation. It's a win/win. Plus the intangible is he now has a yr under his belt and will only improve.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 9, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

i think we need more grit/sandpaper here.

gmgm has been nothing less than stellar during his tenure with the caps

poti is a top 2 dman - gmgm should lock him up for another 3-5 yrs the first chance he gets

Capt - aka avery cooke

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 9, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Tom - ok so I said I'd give you my thoughts on our Centers.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 9, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

woops. First time I ever did that. Sorry bout that folks.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 9, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | September

I feel your pain.

Posted by: underpants2 | September 10, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

Did you think the team needed to be blown up when they were up 3-1 in the series?

Posted by: SA-Town | September 10, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

@ pokerfaceI208

Thanks for the double posting of the novel :P

I agree with your sentiments on Bmo. My problem with the rest of your theory (on Chapter 2 I believe haha) is that if Flush is not shipped out, I have that sinking feeling in my stomach that he will be our 2C and BB will misuse MP/MJ on the 3rd line.

And quite frankly, Im not sold on MP or MJ. MP seems to go guns ablazing for a couple games, then starts to fizzle a bit. Very talented, but very small. When he is called up, he out to prove something. But the little guy seems to run out of gas to fast. Can he last 82 games? Im not so sure.

I have not seen MJ play, but from what I have read, it sounds like he couldnt use a year at Hershey first.

@Capt

Im dont think Poti is a top 2 D, but I could be swayed to vote he is a top 4 pretty easy. Only thing I know for sure is, we need an established 1D (high 2D) stay-at-home. Erskine/Sloan as a regular wont cut it.

Oh and we need to flush Flush. Sell him fast before his market crashes.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 10, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Man, that ticketmaster queue was brutal. Took forever, then sections were getting ate up fast. But snagged a couple extra. Score.

Winter Capssic BABY.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@underpants

Posted by: SA-Town

#1 - I am not suggesting the team needs to be blown up, but we do need some new blood. Some guys with playoff experience, and some much needed grit.

#2 - This team has now blown two consectutive series in which they had two game leads. Both in which they had home ice advantage. We have no killer instinct. Coach, players, gm, owner, no killer instinct.

Posted by: underpants2 | September 10, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Adam Proteau on the Caps:

"Everybody understands the Capitals have the talent, speed and coaching to dominate – at least, during the regular season. However, after last year’s sheet-soiling playoff exercise against the Montreal Canadiens (OK, against Jaroslav Halak), they’ve officially entered San Jose Sharks territory – the place where nothing you do as a team during the regular season really matters to anyone anymore. Let’s see how that pressure sits with O(vechkin) & Co. between now and mid-April."

Thats SJ Sharks comparison really hits home. I'll be watching during the regular season, hopefully with the same excitement I had last year. But the reality is, I wish we could fast forward to the playoffs, and REDEMPTION!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | September 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@Semin - hey it was barely a paragraph compared to "War in Peace"! LOL! Your statement is very true though. If and I mean IF, BB uses Flash at 2C more than a handful of games then you're right my whole theory etc is blown up. I really don't think that's gonna happen though.

I think they're gonna bring back Nyls for the 2C spot! Just kidding don't crucify me!

I really think it's gonna be MJ for like 50 games with MP playing maybe 15-20 & maybe Belanger or Flash pickin up the slack. As I stated before if in fact this does happen, I don't know that it's a horrific scenario and if it is you've got flexibility. You can make a move anytime you want. This is something we haven't had in the past.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@ pokerface

So you still think EB is going to be on the Caps roster this year?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 10, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

You know that's a good question. While I have heard & can confirm the Bieska deal, I haven't heard squat about Belanger. So I really don't know what to think about it. BB said the other day that Belanger isn't signed etc so I guess I have to go with that. He hasn't signed with anybody else yet either so I don't know. I must admit it's a very strange situation.

I do however hope he is. I think he is an upgrade and would do very well here given his short stint last yr then a whole yr here. So I very much hope he will be.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I kind of agree with Underpants.

From April to Now = +DJ King.

I was hoping for Hamhuis last spring. Nope. I was hoping for Zajac. Nope.

There's too much hubris on this team. From BB, from GMGM, even some of the players. What matters is the playoffs and we've failed miserably of late. I don't have the answers, but I don't think it's this team as assembled.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | September 10, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping for:

'52 Howe. Nope.
'71 Orr. Nope.
'82 Gretzky. Nope.
'89 Lemieux. Nope.
and Worf. Nope.

D*mn GMGM.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 10, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@Jordan et all - listen I agree with all of you to a point. Let me interject this thought though. I had lunch with a buddy who I've played hockey with for many yrs the other day & we were talking about this exact thing. He's not a Caps fan for the record. There's something out there called intangibles. And I'm not saying it's 100% right etc I'm just introducing a thought. This is kind of difficult to explain over the internet but I'll do my best.

When you win a Cup there's like that mental satisfaction that you did it! You finally did it! After all the hard work, all the weights, all the broken bones, teeth etc you finally did it. So maybe a "degree" of your intensity isn't there anymore. Follow me there? If you take a team who has underachieved then mentally maybe they're hungrier. They failed. If there's 1 thing a professional athlete hates is to fail. So out of this lets settle on the fact that this team is very hungry. Then you add to it young guys who are very hungry etc and you could be on to something special.

Some examples I have is this. When I moved here to Colorado they were a very dominant elite team in the league. Many of us here in Colorado (those of us who know how to spell hockey anyway) believe that this team started it's down fall when they traded away the heart & soul of the team like Chris Simon, Mike Keane, Stephan Yelle etc. The heart & soul of the team was gone. The skill was still there but the grit, the hard workers were gone and the team started to fade.

Now in our case we haven't done that. As a matter of fact we're trying to find that crash line, that checkin line that heart and soul so to say. However we have let some pieces go and injected a tough guy in DJ King and we're injecting inspired youth who have all won at the next best level to the NHL and some of them have won multiple times.

So here's where I'm at, would I have liked to have seen some help come in defensively or at center? Sure but here's the deal, inject some youth, inject some guys who have the hunger, the drive and the experience of winning in & maybe we've found "our" heart & soul. If I'm wrong & GMGM is wrong then we have plenty of room in contracts & cap space to make changes before the playoffs come around.

Just a thought and a different viewpoint. I don't think this offseason is a death sentence. I think it's a "lets see what we have" & if we don't have enough for the playoffs we'll get it. That being said I think GMGM & BB think it's a reasonable risk, meaning the players coming up won't embarass themselves or the organization. I don't think anybody would disagree that it's better to fill the gaps internally, it's just a matter of whether or not they can be is all. We'll find out soon enough.

Sorry for the novel but I think you get my point. Hoping anyway! LOL

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

so sgm lists "superstars" while most of us expect players who are just above average at their roles. Big surprise.

"We dont need new players...we need that playoff experience and fire this time around."

Posted by: SA-Town

the problem is, you don't just snap your fingers and make that happen. You don't get "fire" in your belly without some significant intervention. Usually via some new blood and a philsophical shift in thinking. Hate to use the Redskins as an example but if you looked at their defense under Blache, their statistical ranking was pretty good overall but in reality that defense wasn't very effective. They didn't put pressure, they were a reactive defense, and they had no idea how to pressure an offense to halt critical drives. Under Gregg Williams and now hopefully Haslett, you'll get a more attacking defense that may or may not statistically (yardage-wise) match up with Blache's teams but overall they are more effective and disruptive. The Caps are kinda like that, we're statistically great in some areas but not a team that really looks determined to win at all costs and not the kind of team to excel in trench warfare.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

-------------------

and also guys like Klemm and Deadmarsh.

the big trade there was also when they acquired Fleury and allowed Calgary the pick of their prospects. Calgary chose Regehr and Colorado included Rene Corbet in the deal. At one time the Avs had a great checking/4th line that included guys like Yelle, Corbet, Eric Lacroix etc.

And losing Regehr hurt them because besides Adam Foote they didn't have any great prospects at defensive defensemen. Still remember watching that draft when the Avs after winning the Cup end up picking 4 freaking times in the 1st round and end up with Regehr, Scott Parker, Tanguay and Skoula

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 1:58 PM

We have too many snipers and not enough guys who use the bayonet.

I just love those war analogies, cstanton. Keep em coming.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 10, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

CO is a good example (along with the Devils) of how important a GM really is, moreso than a coach. Pierre LaCroix won 2 Cups with 2 coaches who no one considers HOF (Marc Crawford and Bob Hartley)

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

In addition to all that, Tom can confirm that I am on the record as saying Chicago will not make the playoffs this yr. They just did the same thing which was to trade away all of their heart & soul.

The main reasons for them winning the Cup are all now playing for other teams.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm not generally a pessimist when it comes to Caps hockey, but a lot of people have it wrong here:

We are not +DJ King.

We are +DJ King, -S Morrisonn, -E Belanger, -M Jurcina, and -J Corvo.

I would only consider Corvo on that list as definitely addition by subtraction. My confidence in management is starting to wane with each passing day. On one hand, aside from Morrisonn, the team was rolling exactly as it stands before the trade deadline last year. On the other hand, this gun-shy thing is beginning to bother me. I get that we don't want another Jagr, but another R Lang might not be so bad...

Posted by: Raber | September 10, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

We have too many snipers and not enough guys who use the bayonet.

I just love those war analogies, cstanton. Keep em coming.

Posted by: tominsocal1
likewise tom, well played sir

we got our nutz shot off in some war and now we need new guys with bulletproof plums

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@ pokerface

Loud and clear, buddy. I'm just a frustrated long-time fan. I'm simply wondering when something gives I guess, re: new blood. Experience.

I hope MP or MJ can step up. Same with Alzner. We'll see!

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | September 10, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

raber, this boat's getting crowded but i'm willing to hang one leg off the side if you wanna climb aboard!

lookin at the camp roster, intriguing prospect is Patrick Cullity. I hope we get a good look at him. Skates well and plays physically on D. He's one of those "fire in the belly" types.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I agree with R Lang. Really like the guy and he's still a solid player and could very much help this team.

The problem that creates though is that GMGM believes MJ is a better option long and short term. None of us know if he's right or not but we'll know before spring that's for sure.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

the Hawks will definitely have a tough time. But they did draft some quality prospects with size and an edge (guys like kyle beach and dylan olsen) so maybe in 3 yrs they'll be able to backfill the guys they lost. Trading away Buffy, Ladd and then prospects like Aliu, that's tough to replace. They lost a lot of size and heart upfront. And they lost their abrasive texture when Colin Fraser and Adam Burish signed elsewhere. Not to mention Ben Eager,

Damn, they lost more grit in one offseason than McPhee has put together in 13 yrs!!!

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me for actually suggesting R Lang as an option *right now* (I didn't even realize he was available). It doesn't fit into our plans well enough unless he's priced on the cheap for only 1yr. Moreover with him being traded away during the height of his career, he might not even want to play for GMGM again (though we did trade him to Detroit).

Posted by: Raber | September 10, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Lang only made $1M last year but only had like 29 pts. The tank is pretty much down to fumes there. Not sure he'd be better even than BMo.

pokerface: I think we already have a bet on the Hawks. They have too much raw talent not to make Playoffs. However, they might do in the Playoffs as well as Caps did last year. I think I have another bet (offered anyway) with joek that Caps will win more Cups next ten years than Hawks.

And, finally, it is getting crowded on the "Dark Side." Pretty much every fan on here agrees Caps are not even as good now as last spring. When got whooped by the Habs, btw.

Mrs. McPhee: "Honey, do you think we should go to the store?"

George: "No, we'll just eat what we have."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 10, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse