Caps get Monday off after win over Penguins

Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau said the team would not be practicing on Monday but that the players shouldn't necessarily consider the day off as a reward for their 5-4 overtime win against Pittsburgh.

It's more about rest and recovery for a team that has played three games in four days, including Friday's 5-2 victory over Atlanta just hours after the blizzard began in the metro area. That was Washington's second of back-to-back games.

The Capitals are scheduled to practice again on Tuesday before departing for Montreal, where they play on Wednesday. That begins a three-game road trip for Washington leading up to the NHL's two-week break for the Olympics.

By Gene Wang  |  February 7, 2010; 5:04 PM ET
 | Tags: Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green, Bruce Boudreau on Caps' victory
Next: Ovechkin records hat trick in Caps' win

Comments

Well deserved rest.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 7, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Much needed and well dwarves rest. I'm going to have a much needed and well deserved Stonewall Jackson. I wouldn't mind Sloan and Poti taking some extra practice and Chimera on backhand flip shots

Posted by: JSchon | February 7, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

So excited and proud of the Caps that I have to break my 3-year vow of silence.

Read you guys religiously, and always learn a ton, especially when you play nice (which seems to correlate with Caps wins. Hmmm.)

Anyway, I have a question re: the Gordie Howe hat trick. Did Ovie get his first today? He got the two minutes for roughing when he was pummeling Letang, but the scrum had started before that.

If this was a legit GH hat trick, how many players have had both a natural and a GH hat trick in the same game? Gotta believe that Bobby Clarke or Phil Esposito may have done it.

Anyway, thanks for adding to the excitement and entertainment of rooting for the Caps!

Posted by: newbie1 | February 7, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Re the Penguins travel 'problems' in arriving at 2 am the night before a 12 noon game. Please. The Thrashers left DC early Saturday after Friday's game, got into an accident on their bus ride to Richmond, sat on the tarmac while their plane was deiced, and only arrived back at Atlanta airport at 6 pm for a scheduled 7 pm home game. The start of the game was delayed 50 minutes, the Thrashers quickly fell behind two goals to the Panthers but came back to win with their two newly arrived players earning stars.

Posted by: imback | February 7, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Phone service to Pittsburgh must be out, none of my friends & family there are answering my calls this afternoon.

Posted by: uncatim | February 7, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Knuble had a gordie how hat trick. Ov did not have a fighting major.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 7, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Newbie, I think one needs the 5 for five fighting for a Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

Posted by: uncatim | February 7, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!!
XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!! XIV!!

Way to crush 'em Caps! After all of those times over the years when the Caps seemed to have the upper hand on the Pens, only to fall victims to a bad call or a triple-deflection/lucky bounce...the skate definitely appears to be on the other foot now!

I say unto Emprick, Milfurry, McChoir and the rest of you DB's at the Nothing But Crysby network: Make no mistake: this Caps team is for real, and they will not be denied!.

Well done, boys-in-red. Rest and heal and carry the streak to/through MTL and OTT etc. into the Olympic break.

FEAR THE WEAGLE!!!
LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 7, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the Caps, I get the day off tomorrow, too! Woot!

Thanks OPM!

Posted by: MyJobsMyCredit | February 7, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I know this is really a moot point but I was watching the replay of the final goal and I am not sure Knuble ever touched the puck. It looks to me like it hits off Flurey's backside and goes in. I know Knuble was poking away but his stick didn't look like it was getting between the legs and the puck didn't seem to get in front of Flurey. I am not saying take the goal away or that it really matters but it looks like Ovechkin should have had four goals today not just 3. Either way great win and it will be fun to get out of the snow here in Pittsburgh and rub all of my friends noses in it.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, MyJobsMyCredit. LOL I'm not the Director at OPM, but I work there so I'll accept your thanks on his behalf. ;-)

Posted by: SlugGirl69 | February 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The GHHT is of course an unofficial stat - but I've never seen that you have to have a 5 minute major - its just a fight ( http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=514973 ). So I think we can award two of them this game - makes it that much sweeter!

Posted by: AlexVa1 | February 7, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Chimera, JSchon did, that guy had a rough afternoon. First, he gets an absolutely wide open net and takes about ten times longer than he should. Then BMo madse several great set-ups, only Chimera wasn't paying attention and never saw the puck.

He'll never earn extended time on a scoring line until he pays better attention.

Schultz...what a pass. He'll sign for between $2M-$3M this offseason, you heard it here first. And, the longer it goes, the more he'll get.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 7, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

OPM's site won't load...where did you hear about the closing???

Posted by: CheckingLine | February 7, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

icehammer97: Disagree. If Knuble doesn't give him a little poke, it doesn't go in. It would've ended up under Fleury's pads. Watch at 1:29 in the video and you will see he indeed poked the puck.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Figured you guys would know, and that there'd be disagreement, to boot.

OK, another question. Why didn't Ovie and Letang get 5 minutes, and yet Backstrom got 10 for simply getting stuck in the middle of it?

Posted by: newbie1 | February 7, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

CheckingLine,

I saw it on the NBC news site (nbcwashington.com) after my cousin posted it on Facebook. The web site is probably overwhelmed with people checking the operating status.

Posted by: SlugGirl69 | February 7, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if it was metioned before... here's Orpik quotes about Semin:

"He's a baby," Orpik said. "I don't know [if it was a high stick], but he does that all game long. I got zero respect for the kid. Yeah, it is tough to lose on that."

Someone needs to whoop his @ss the next game....

Posted by: guer_j | February 7, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else hate watching on NBC with Milbury and Doc totally in the tank for Crysby? Especially Milbury...totally dissing Ovie..practically called him dirty for targeting opponents to hit (ironic for Milbury of all people). I thought McGuire was fair and pretty much going tit for tat with Milbury everytime he sang Cindy's praises. But when they came back in the 3d all of a sudden they were more complimentary but MM was still bitter. I had to turn off the sound in OT I couldn't take them anymore. Can't wait to go back to JoeB and Locker, even though homers they may be.

Posted by: dalves999 | February 7, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

ENOUGH with all the silly NBC bashing... you people sound worse than Pens fans

they had plenty of nice things to say about the Caps, didn't know they weren't allowed to say anything nice about the Pens

Posted by: joek443 | February 7, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

@ uncatim

Your yinzer relatives wouldn't, by chance, be expecting a phonecall full of gloating laughter and gleeful mockery, would they?

Cause if I knew any yinzers, I'd totally give them a call right now.

Posted by: large23220 | February 7, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

gloat,moi?!

Posted by: uncatim | February 7, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Did the genius Orpik say anything about the phantom slashing penalty against Schultz with 4 minutes left in a tie game?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 7, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Joeky - do you work for NBC? Read the post....I said McGuire was fair but I had a problem with Milbury. I didn't hear him make any negative comments on Sid... only Ovi. And as I said, Doc and Pierre were complimentary as the game progressed but they were clearly gleeful after Cindy scored her 2d goal and the Caps were woeful in the first. I'm just happy they came back and showed these dopes why they're tops in the league. As far as Orpik, good point that one PP didn't cause them to give up a 3 goal lead and 'selling' a penalty (not saying I agree) is part of the game. Same refs who missed the call on Adams for boarding Ovi and called the phantom slash on Schultz. On to 15!

Posted by: dalves999 | February 7, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I find both Milbury and McGuire painful to watch no matter whose game they are calling. Emrick is a very good play by play guy, but he certainly knows that NBC wants to promote Crosby.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 7, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

According to Wikipedia (I am NOT claiming that it is authoritative, just presenting a different view) states that:

"In ice hockey, a Gordie Howe hat trick is an unofficial variation on the hat trick, wherein a player scores a goal, records an assist, and gets in a fight all in one game."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe_hat_trick)

Since nothing is stated about serving a penalty, especially a fighting major, after the fight, and Ovi DID participate in a fight, scored at least one goal, and was credited with an assist, he got a GHHT by the Wiki definition.

Now everyone, argue on about what constitutes a GHHT!

Posted by: critter69 | February 7, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Not trying to rain on the parade - But its time to focus on the playoffs

time to trade for a veteran forward w/Stanley cup exp and a solid stay at home defenseman that can lay the wood on Crosby and others during the cup run.

C!A!P!S! CAPS CAPS CAPS!!!

Posted by: Nats1924 | February 8, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

You have to have a legit, gloves off 5-min major fight, plus a goal and an assist to record a GHHT. The 5-min major part is one of those unwritten things, you have to get 5 to say you've been in a fight.

Posted by: rademaar | February 8, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Calls were horrible both ways. Caps got away with a decent amount of stuff.

That phantom Schultz slash still has me shaking my head though.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 8, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

As I first reported Saturday night, that was what Kovalchuk was doing when he punched Rangers’ pest Sean Avery several times during a stoppage in play with 2:16 left in the Devils’ 3-1 loss to the Blueshirts. Avery was trying to get under Kovalchuk’s skin with his usual trash-talking routine, but when Kovalchuk didn’t bite, Avery turned toward the usual target for his venom—goaltender Martin Brodeur. That, according teammate Mike Mottau, who was on the ice at the time, was when Kovalchuk got angry.

He dug the blade of his stick into Avery’s gut first and then punched him several times in the head with his right hand. One of Kovalchuk’s punches landed squarely enough that it knocked out Avery’s mouthpiece and it landed a few feet away on the ice.

“Avery is yapping off in his ear and then when he turned to Marty and started saying something, he stood up for Marty,” Mottau said of Kovalchuk.. “He was a captain down in Atlanta for a reason, too. He’s a quiet kid, but definitely is a leader.”

God, I love Kovalchuk.