Posted at 10:59 AM ET, 01/19/2011

Capitals recall Braden Holtby

By Katie Carrera

The Capitals have recalled goaltender Braden Holtby from the AHL's Hershey Bears. Both Michal Neuvirth and Semyon Varlamov are not participating in practice today and are listed as day-to-day with undisclosed lower-body injuries.

Neuvirth, who was unable to finish last night's game in Philadelphia, and Varlamov have both dealt with groin injuries this season.

By Katie Carrera  | January 19, 2011; 10:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A look at the Eastern Conference standings
Next: Capitals practice update from Philadelphia

Comments

What else can go wrong with the Caps!! Hope it's nothing serious with Varly. It would be nice to see Holtby vs NYI.

Posted by: instinct227 | January 19, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

More proof that the Crosby-Steckle hit was Crosby's fault...just look at how they drive in Pittsburgh. Skate with your head down, drive with your head up your a$$...same difference. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 19, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The offense had really better pick it up now if they're faced with Holtby/Sabourin back there.

Posted by: GFisher1 | January 19, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Beginning of the end for this team.Conveint excuse to tank the season

Posted by: jp14710 | January 19, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Why did they even start Neuvy last night if he wasn't feeling right during the morning skate (this was mentioned during the broadcast)? Now Varly is probably injured since he was rushed in without enough time to warm-up. Makes no sense...

Posted by: rebecca17 | January 19, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"If you honestly think that the majority of people here think that the answer involves firing everybody and rebuilding the entire, then you have very poor reading comprehension skills.

But you don't honestly think that. You know exactly what you're doing - and it's taking every "opposition" viewpoint to yours, conflating them all into a single viewpoint, and then exaggerating that viewpoint in an effort to mock everyone who disagrees with you."

@VTDuffman

I feel they need to get rid of the entire coaching staff, team, trainers, assistants, scouts, etc. What have they ever won? What success have they ever had in the playoffs?

The team is a bunch of losers led by a coaching staff of a bunch of losers and a management team of a bunch of losers.

IMO, I think this would be the best way to go and give the Caps the best chance of winning a SC. Although that would be at least 3 or 4 years away.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 19, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, anyone else noticing a trend this year...

Poti = bad groin
Semin = bad groin (logical guess)
Neuvy = bad groin
Varly = bad groin
Green = bad groin (think earlier this year)
Majo = hip flexor (close enough to the groin)
Ovie = hamstring

etc, etc (yes there were others, just cant remember off the top of my head)

Sounds like our strength and conditioning coach may need to tweak his routine on the lower body exercises. Perhaps stop playing roshambo with our players. Sheesh.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 19, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"I didn't say that most people on here had the EXACT same idea as me for changes, there are many variations but they all involve similar things.

It's time to bite the bullet and start changing things around here now. Better now than having to go through this garbage year after year."

---

It's not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 19, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

Posted by: sgm3 | January 19, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised they started Neuvirth yesterday if he was showing signs during warmup. Holtby had a couple of strong games with Washington but followed those up with a couple of pretty brutal ones. Hopefully he has a bit more confidence this time around.

Posted by: Stu_c | January 19, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Put D.J King in net...His head is big enough to have a .903 sv% at least.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 19, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Trade Mike Green for a defensive dman!

Ovie and Carlson can take his place on the point position during a Power play

Posted by: Nats1924 | January 19, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

if varly and neuvy are day to day wouldn't we need 2 goalies?

maybe brett or brent the web video guy will dress again.

i hope a better holtby shows up this time, can't say i was excited about him after some of his performances, but i'm sure he's got potential.

Posted by: natresgroup | January 19, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

It's not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman

It is the players, coaches and managements fault.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 19, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Put D.J King in net...His head is big enough to have a .903 sv% at least.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 19, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Made me think of a comment I saw yesterday where someone referred to him as Yeti. Both comments very funny.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 19, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@ Nats1924

"Trade Mike Green for a defensive dman!

Ovie and Carlson can take his place on the point position during a Power play"

Funny you should post this as a couple of weeks ago I said bench him or something to that effect and everyone had an issue with it. But at the game on Sunday I suggested to a group, people at the game, bundle Green and Semin and trade them for half a bag of pucks. Right now you would lose nothing as neither is producing but what you would gain would be a huge kick to the teams ego. Several players could use a huge mental kick and if GMGM had the balls to do this just think what the rest of the bench would think. "Hell if they're not safe I sure as hell am not either, guess I better step up or I'm next"

@ SAOTI

"Sounds like our strength and conditioning coach may need to tweak his routine on the lower body exercises."

We have one?????????? Really???????? Is it me or do several players appear to be out of gas by half way through the 2nd and old man 22 dosen't count

Posted by: bqts | January 19, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"Of course it isn't. I'm not involved in making decisions for the Caps and I don't play on the team. I'm just a person who watches.

It is the players, coaches and managements fault."

---

It's not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 19, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

VtDuff,

Posted by: Steve_R | January 19, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Players including Poti have complained about the bad Verizon ice and said that it contributes to the groin problems players have. Ted needs to pony up the cash to overhaul the ice equipment.

Posted by: coolcraig | January 19, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

coolcraig,

And how would that help Philly's ice? As the goalies hurt themselves there.

Posted by: Steve_R | January 19, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"You're better off ignoring him, he's going to be bleating nonsense everytime you reply."

---

Robin Williams didn't reach that point of cathartic sobbing on the part of Matt Damon by ignoring him.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 19, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@ bqts

its just that seeing how overrated Mike Green is, makes me quiver.

don't get me wrong, he's good offensively -its soo annoying to watch him lazy skate back into the def zone.

lets go back to the Canucks game - He was the sole reason why they went up 3-1 (if i remember correctly) it was him who was sooo out of position on the breakaway goal

trade him!

Posted by: Nats1924 | January 19, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

It's not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman

lol

Posted by: TwoBuckChuck | January 19, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

It is the players, coaches and managements fault."

---

It's not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman

Also, it really isn't a good time to use that. Because the "it's not your fault" routine is meant for a person who was involved in something and blames himself for it. As I am not, and have never been involved with the Caps and how they choose their team or how they play on the ice, the Good Will Hunting routine does not work here.

Nice try, but next time get something more on point.

-----

Posted by: Steve_R

All I said was that the Caps need to gut the team and rebuild. Not that much different than many other posts on this board.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 19, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Nats1924,

Actually that play against Vancouver was no one elses fault other than............you guessed it, hands of steel Chimera with that horrible giveaway in the neutral zone.

Posted by: PhilR | January 19, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I've been critical of Green in the past - and gotten hammered for it here - but I'm not advocating trading him [not until we see if Orlov's the real deal, anyway].

But, does MG have to be out there, for the full two of every.single.PP.?! Bad shots from terrible angles, guys stop moving their feet and puck movement slows to a standstill.

But it's moot because BB loves his boy Greenie, anyway.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 19, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

maybe start thinking about acquiring Brodeur or Khabibulin for the playoff stretch? Varly & Neuvy are great when healthy, would be nice to have a veteran to help out.

Posted by: choptank17 | January 19, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"I know it isn't. Many of us saw the Family Guy episode when they did this. Try coming up with something on your own or at least state that you are referencing it."

---

No one ever joking referenced that scene from "Good Will Hunting" before Family Guy, good point.

/It's not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 19, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

/It's not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman

Just saying it's not very clever. However, that is what I expect from you.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 19, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Just saying it's not very clever. However, that is what I expect from you."

---

Well, once you set the gold standard for cleverness by pretending like you wanted to gut the entire franchise and re-build, I didn't see the point in trying to be clever at all, so I just started copying Family Guy.

/Still not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 19, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Still not your fault.

Posted by: VTDuffman

What isn't my fault?

Posted by: sgm3 | January 19, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Vtduffman and Sgm3 you all are a pain in the A$$ with all all your text back and forth why don't you call each othe and stop filling up the columns with your garbage

Posted by: fs02 | January 19, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse