Capitals rookie game vs Flyers set for Sept. 16 at KCI

For the fourth straight year, the Capitals' rookie camp will conclude with a game against the Philadelphia Flyers rookies, with this installment slated for 3 p.m., Sept. 16, at Kettler Capitals Iceplex. Admission is free but will require a ticket, which can be obtained online beginning Sept. 1.

Washington opens rookie camp at KCI on Sunday, Sept. 12, and the game against the Flyers rookies will mark the conclusion of those practice sessions. Regular training camp opens Saturday, Sept. 18, with the veterans and select rookie camp participants taking part in the workouts.

Full practice schedules will be announced in September.

By Katie Carrera  |  August 24, 2010; 3:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Single-game tickets on sale Sept. 10
Next: NHL releases national TV schedule; Kings sign Willie Mitchell

Comments

Capt Kirk: re: PHX. I am liking the $45 tix that are closest to the $80 tix (I think these are STH prices, indivdual games they say vary).

Anyway, FWIW, two places I have never liked as much are:

1) directly behind goal, since the other end of the rink hard to see
2) too close to glass, since the glass obstructs the view.

So, I prefer back of lower bowl between goal lines or upper deck between blue lines.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 24, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Flyers Rookie meet up is one of the best additions the Caps have made the last couple of years. Keeps that bad taste in your mouth almost all year long....

Katie, any word on the Caps bloggers?

Posted by: stork95 | August 24, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

i'd like to see the caps rookies take part in that rookie tournament they have every yr.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 24, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

tominsocal1:
those ticket prices are for ST - i'm sure they'll be a bit higher than that
the view from sec 113, row O or higher looks pretty good to me. can see the bench, caps on O twice and still have a decent view of the other end of the ice. i'll check with coyotes sales again in a couple of weeks and get more specific info on prices - and how many it might take to get a 'group' rate.
* check your yahoo mail tonight

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 24, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Get ready to rumble...

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | August 24, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Capt Kirk: OK.

PF: I just checked map quest. Goodyear AZ to Anaheim about 330 miles, not 250. And Anaheim to SJ is 366 miles, 6 hrs (but not during rush hour).

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 24, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

hey what is this. A freaking mapquest blog! Biccches!

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 24, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

The sewers will run red today with Ron Burgundy's blood!

Posted by: AADCDERM | August 24, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Flyers rookies: only way to impress is to goon it up (try to injure our guys) as they are always mismatched in terms of skill. Where's SDR now that we need him?

Posted by: CAP-lanta | August 24, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I am going to do the West Coast swing with my girlfried... I would love to meet up with some fans out west... I will have tickets already... I am so ready for any hockey!!!

Posted by: Hunter21 | August 24, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Is anything ever gonna happen with this team?

Posted by: underpants2 | August 24, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Hunter21:
'california' west or will you be trying to follow the whole 'west coast' trip. it would be nice to try and get a dozen or so caps fans close together for the phx game.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 24, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

underpants2:
yes - they will win the cup with flash being the hero
hahaha - just trying to push your buttons

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 24, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hunter21- hey buddy you guys are more than welcome. You can contact me also at jim.baratka@yahoo.com. We'll make this thing happen though. It'll be a blast for sure.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 24, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

"Capitals Dream Team"

maybe something interesting to talk about until the next update

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 24, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I just pout in Expedia mid-size SUV renatl (5 adults) from Feb 14 11 am in Phoenix to 11 am Feb 18 in San Jose. Incl drop charge of $311, the full charge with taxes is $745.

Now, at work, we have a Corporate Avis rate of $35/day + taxes for full size car and drop charge is 26 cents/mile. So, if someone in your party has a discount like that, you would be for 4 adults 4 x 35 + $175/drop + taxes (50%) for a total of $480. For four people, $120/each, is that cheaper than the train? It's certainly more convenient to have a vehicle.

Anyone who wants to go, you fly into Phoenix Sunday the 13th or Monday morning the 14th (you get the time change going west) and you go home from San Jose on Friday the 18th. With a free day on Tuesday the 15th, there's plenty to see in SW AZ and SE CA over that time. I would suggest I-10 west from Phoenix and then a short detour through Joshua Tree National Park. You can get on from I-10, drive 40 miles through the park, spend night in Yucca, CA (nice town, cheap hotels, nice restaurant), get back on the 10, and you are 90 miles to The Pond. Joshua Tree NP will teach you about the west - at the southern entrance, at 1700 el, in Feb it might be low 80s. Then in mid-park at 5000 ft el it might be about 60 degrees.

Or, if you aren't into that sort of thing, I-10 also runs right by Palm Springs where it might well be in the 90s. Or drive to the coast directly from Phx and go to the beach Tue pm and Wed am.

In socal, just pick a temperature and then find the spot to match.

signed,
Rand McNally Jr.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 24, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Tom - you flat have too many hats my friend. I bet you saw it coming though huh nostrathomas! LMAO!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 24, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, one more suggestion, if you take the southern route from Phoenix, I-8, you go though Yuma. I have never been there and want to see the Yuma Territorial Prison. After crossing the Colorado into CA, supposedly there are some really cool sand dunes to see. Then you go through the Imperial Valley. Contrary to popular thought, Death Valley is not the largest area in the US below sea level. The whole valley here is below and the north shore of the Salton Sea is some 200 feet down. Just don't expect anything from the Salton Sea but a shoreline of dead, stinky fish and you won't be disappointed.

The southern route, anyway, takes you to San Diego, 350 miles from Phoenix. Then Wed it would be 90 miles up the coast to Anaheim. I would suggest this much more than the direct route into (boring) LA. Anaheim anyway is on the SE side of LA so you wouldn't be near any of that Hollywood stuff anyway. I'm not disparaging LA, I'm just saying San Diego downtown is pretty cool. You get to SD by Tuesday evening and you can spend a leisurely Wed afternoon driving up I-5 right along the coast for about 60 miles and then inland for a few into Anaheim. It's a fine trip.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 24, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

If there's a group going to the SJ game from the blog I'd love to get seats with people. The Shark Tank is a generally loud building and the more fellow Caps fans there are the better!

Posted by: Raber | August 24, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Just on a chance that this caravan could be improved if the Kings were home on the Caps off day, Tue Feb 15...

Get this, the Kings are in the middle of a ten-game road trip from 1/26 to 2/24.

Ten games. One-eighth of the enire schedule. Not one home game.

Just who in hockey do you have to pi$$ off before you get stuck with a month-long, ten-game road trip?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 25, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Obviously Mitchell has made his decision yet. Here's another recently released article about the Canucks. Nothing more than speculation but at least it's something. http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2010-08-25/canucks-injuries-dampen-kevin-bieksa-trade-possibility

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 25, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Man, it is early. I meant to say Mitchell HASN't made his decision yet.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 25, 2010 6:22 AM | Report abuse

@Raber

Great that you're trying to get some of the West Coast fans to come see the Caps in the Shark Tank. The Caps need all the support they can get there. They've had an awful track record there -- like no wins there for a VERY long time.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 25, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

There must be some Sharks fans, Ducks and/or Vancouver fans on the NHL scheduling committee this year. The Kings are looking much better than they have in past years and are perceived to be a threat.

(Okay, I'm just being snarky here. But it would get a Kings fan paranoid.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 25, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

UGH!!!! Still nothing??!!

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone find it absurd that we are waiting for Willie Mitchell to decide? Not exactly Scott Stevens.

We made a mistake not getting Volchenkov. Especially if we would have let Flash go, or traded him prior to July 1. We could have absorded AV, with little sacrifice.

McPhee screwed up.

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I went to this game 2 years ago.

Pros: Great game, everyone played their ass off, great goal(s) by Perault, good play and fight by Carlson.

Cons: The asinine conversation amongst the die hards, speculating/arguing about:

i)the merits of insignificant role players

ii)the chemistry in the locker room (as if these people have been in there)

iii)the decisions of management while referring to said individuals by their first names (as if they know them personally)

iv)agonizing over obscure statistics ad nauseum

Posted by: LesGrossman | August 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I think it's a little early to say that GMGM screwed up with AV. Let's see what he can get done and what he has to spend on his moves.

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: j3rockstar

I hope you are right. I am hoping for a bigger move than Willie Mitchell.

Maybe Kovalchuk signing will shake things loose again.

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Mitchell signs today with somebody.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 25, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

underpants2 -

Perhaps. I think alot depends on what WM decided to do. If he stays withe Canucks, obviously the GMGM's focus will shift to another plan. Of course I'm a kool-aid drinker, I wouldn't lose sleep if this was the roster we went into the season with (add a MP or MJ of course).....annnnnnnnnnnnnd flame away. :)

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

We should sign Staal to an offer sheet. The cost would be a 1st and a 3rd. Is there anyone who would not give up a 1st and a 3rd for Staal?

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

underpants2,

I suggested that yesterday and was informed it would cost a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and since GMGM traded away our second at the deadline last year we don't have the necessary 2nd to give up. But I agree, would love to have Staal.

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Eric? LOL

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

underpants2,

Posted by: PhilR

I think I read a 1st and a 3rd would do it.

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The Rangers would match any offer the Caps could afford to give Staal.

Mitchell is a clear cut first pairing defensive defenseman. He may not come here but that is exactly what most people on the board have been clamoring for.

Read this article and look at what the Canuck media/fans think of Mitchell. He is thought very highly of in Vancoucer:

Posted by: sgm3 | August 25, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

underpants2,
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Kind of a little payback for that Chris Bourque move. lol

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@underpants and Phil R

If the offer sheet to Staal is less than $4M per year it would be a 1st and 3rd rounder. If its more than $4M it would take a 1, 2 and 3rd round pick. I figure the offer sheet above $4M would be the only way the Rangers contemplate walking away from him. And like you mentioned the Caps dont have the 2nd rounder so I dont believe they can make an offer that would make the Rangers contemplate walking away.

Posted by: ThePat | August 25, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm obviously over caffeinated, and under stimulated today. Please Hockey Gods, let the Caps make some kind of move today!!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that Billy Ryan is on the trading block....How about him for the 2C? Not sure what his contract looks like though.

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Offer Stahl $3.5. I am not sure the Rangers can match that. And if they do, so what. Odds are Sather will be out of there by next year anyway.

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that should be Bobby Ryan and I'm an idiot, he is a RW. Sorry!

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

bobby you mean?

Not sure why he's on the block. The Ducks don't exactly have a ton of depth at that position. He's one of their very few young skilled forwards.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that should be Bobby Ryan, and I'n an idiot....he is a RW. Sorry!

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

And a double post....man I'm having a bad day!

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

PhilR-
I had to google Billy Ryan. I was so confused...this guy didn't look like the answer at all. LOL

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1,

Read that rumor on ESPN this morning. Most likely means it won't happen considering the source but sometimes they get lucky.

ESPN also said Mitchell is leaning towards one of the California teams.

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

again, why the heck is bobby ryan on the block? I heard the same rumor but its nuts. You're going to trade an 80 point physical forward who's just coming into his own? And Kevin Lowe should be eating crow right about now. Part of Lowe's public rant against Brian Burke had to do with what a bust Bobby Ryan was going to turn out to be. Boy was he wrong.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

j3rockstar,

Yeah, sorry about that....not one of my shining moments there! I am going through some serious hockey withdrawals!

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1,

---------

the Ryan on the block rumor has been around all offseason. He was rumored to be going to Toronto to be reunited with Burke. He was rumored to be going to Pittsburgh. He was rumored to be part of a blockbuster deal with the Blues and Backes.

The Ducks thought they'd have a hard time signing him and having Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan's contracts all expire at around the same time.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1,

I have no idea why he would be the one leaving but he would be a great addition if the Caps could make room for him but they are just too loaded at wing. That would be a great competition between he and Fehr for that 2nd line spot assuming they are indeed going to dump Flush.

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------

we don't need to. Most of us have watched him play over the years and like his game independently of how folks feel about him. Whether a Vancouver poll gave him high marks or low marks its of little relevance. Mitchell is a quality dman no doubt. If he didn't have a concussion history I'm sure some team would have already swooped in and signed him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1,

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

it'll never happen because it would take an awful lot to pry Ryan away. But any trade involving Ryan would also include Fehr. The Ducks would want a cheaper player in return who plays the same position and Fehr is the logical choice off our roster. Probably Fehr plus Sarge plus Alzner would be a starting point for discussion.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

99.9999% of all the attractive names tossed about in rumors and wishlists never occur, esp for the Caps. Unless I'm missing something really obvious, I think the last time we got some big prize was back in the Zubrus/Linden trade. And Linden was already lookin old and beat-up by that point.

yes, i excluded jagr for hopefully obvious reasons.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1 -
I think the Knuble pick up was a pretty good/important one.

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Give me some news, any news would be good. I'd be happy hearing that GMGM is in talks with the Hanson brothers to come in and be the "energy" line.

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

--------------------

knowing McPhee though, he prefers these guys

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1 -
I think the Knuble pick up was a pretty good/important one.

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

it was, and i've never once complained about that pickup. But even MK wasn't a bluechip type of FA pickup. The Caps don't really dabble in the upper tiers of players available in trades or FA.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Newest rumor I see is that Jersey is trying to ship out Bryce Salvador. He is making 2.9 a year and they won't want any salary back as they need the space for Kovy. Thoughts??

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I suppose I can't argue with that. They've been pretty smart (lucky?) with their "build from the draft" approach. I guess the Nylander Project has made them very gun shy in that dept.

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Robert Lang was a top GMGM pickup, unfortunately it coincided with the failed Jagr experiment.

Posted by: MReilly9 | August 25, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Boomer Gordon and Scott Laughlin were talking about Bobby Ryan on NHL Home Ice a few weeks ago. First Bobby Ryan wants a shorter deal than the Ducks want to offer. The Ducks were offering 5years at 5 mil each (I believe), and Ryan wasn't really hung up on the dollar figure he wanted a 3 year deal though. Probably because he thinks he can build on what he's done already and sign an even more lucrative deal in 3 years, that's just my opinion.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 25, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I would also not do anything to help NJ sign Kovalchuk.

Also, re: Staal, you can bandy about any figure you want but must remember 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, whatever, the player must also agree to that price. I guess I'm just remembering that he "wanted" 5.0.

In a world where Mike Green gets 5.25 as a RFA, and Staal being a RFA, so comparable, how do you all rate him as compared to Green? Are there any other comparable RFAs? OK, Jeff Schutz at 2.75. You have Schultz at 2.75 and Green at 5.25. Now go ahead and slot Staal.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 25, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Im not sure its been mentioned but Vancouver did sign Raffi Torres for 1 year, $1M. Puts them further over the cap, which means they probably couldnt trade Bieksa for a F. It also means they probably took themselves out of the Mitchell sweepstakes just by the numbers.

Posted by: ThePat | August 25, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

fanohock: That's interesting about Ryan. If he signs a 3-yr deal, he'd still be a RFA July 1, 2013. If he signs for 4 or more years, he's a UFA when that deal would end. Why would he want the three years?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 25, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Ryan and the Ducks can't agree on terms. Deal Semin and sign Ryan.

Posted by: doughless | August 25, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

The guys on NHL Home Ice eluded to expiring CBA. Bobby Ryan probably doesn't even know, he's just following his agents advice. I'm sure he would have been happy to sign for $25mil a month ago and been relaxing on the beach with SoCal girls helping him count his cash.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 25, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I read the same thing about Ryan, it is a bit strange that he would prefer the 3 year deal if that would still make him a RFA.

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

it is because of the expiration of the CBA. hockey blogs have been talking it up.

Posted by: doughless | August 25, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless | August 25, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

big fan of Salvador's but he didn't look very good in the postseason. He's still very physical but his skating seems to have taken a hit. I'd take him but not at a big price. Its still amazing that the Devils were able to get him for Cam Janssens

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the Habs are in on the Bieska rumors offering Jarred Tinordi in return. Much cheaper than Flash so the Nucks may go that route. GMGM better get busy!

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@Pat

Didn't hear the Torres signing. Another reason I didn't think a Flash for Bieksa trade was really realistic since the Canucks generally don't like Flash types on their top lines. They like the abrasive ornery types (Burrows, Kesler). The Sedins are about as much pure skill without the physicality that the Nucks are willing to go with.

some guys have it rough..

revelation: If you moan and bi__h enough, the offseason sure goes by quickly I've found!

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

---------------

probably enough to get him i'd imagine

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | August 25, 2010 11:44 AM

But they are about to put a couple guys on the LTIR and clear some cap room. Rumors from one of the above reads states that would lead you to believe they plan on keeping Bieksa and his cap hit AND making an offer to Mitchell.

To me, signing Torres at that price means they got the forward addition they wanted without having to trade their Dman, and now IF they put those 2 guys on LTIR and clear the cap space, they wont have to worry about being over the cap and trading away players to clear room.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | August 25, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

If the Tinordi rumor is true, and he ends up on the Canucks, his family might be ticked because he decided to pass on the full ride he had at Notre Dame because it appears Montreal wanted him to play in the OHL.

"Tinordi has committed to playing for the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) for the 2010-2011 season. It has been suggested, however, that the Canadiens may want him to play in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). The London Knights hold Tinordi's OHL rights."

Since the OHL season hasn't started I wonder if Notre Dame would be willing to let him reconsider. Not sure what the committment rules are for NCAA Hockey.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 25, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, my 2nd paragraph made no sense. Let me try this again...

But they are about to put a couple guys on the LTIR and clear some cap room according to the rumors from one of the above reads. That would lead you to believe they plan on keeping Bieksa and his cap hit AND making an offer to Mitchell.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | August 25, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

I understand they are going to put Burros and Salo on LTIR. That gives them $2M in cap space to play with. Problem is both those guys are coming off it during the season Burrows, less than half way into it. So he'll be owed over $1M, so you are really looking at a few hundred thousand dollars to play with, which isnt much at all. If they'd sign Mitchell, someone would have to be traded before Burrows comes back in December. If they dont sign him, then they dont need to make a move till Salo comes back. They do still need to shed salary is the point but not now.

Posted by: ThePat | August 25, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Salo is done for the year. Ruptured Achilles = year long recovery. Maybe 9 months for a pro athlete who can dedicate to rehab and such.

And Burrows only might be back by December. Better to worry about that when the time comes, and keep who you want now dont you think?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | August 25, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

Burrows will be back in December most likely, I know Salo is out that why I didnt really factor him in. If Burrows comes back in December on schedule than in reality both of them on LTIR gives them like $700K to play with. Mitchell would have to sign a one year deal for league minimum plus bonuses...I really don't see that happening. And if Salo happens to come back in March, doubtful I know, but that would mess their cap up big time. To me the risks in going after Mitchell at this point with Torres signing arent worth salary cap hell during the season.

Posted by: ThePat | August 25, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

i dunno, Salo's a big load. To heal from that achilles may take him longer. And he's old. Probably can't handle more than 2 beers before passing out.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, Burrows is a Left Wing, had 35G, 32A in 82 games... Fleischmann is a Left Wing.

Vancouver's D seems set... seems like they have a need for a top 6 and have an extra D in Bieksa... AND are over the cap...
without Bieksa...

Hamhuis
Ballard
Elder
Erhoff
O'Brien
Alberts

not a bad top 6 at all... even without Bieksa... makes sense to trade an extra for a need!

Posted by: FrankM73 | August 25, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

cstanton are you Salo?? You are the only person I know that passes out after two beers! LOL!

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

actually i had two beers last night. Didn't pass out but got a little buzzed. I guess I should stay away from RoofieLights.

btw, Downie officially signed a 2 yr deal today as well for 3.7m

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | August 25, 2010 12:36 PM

now you know two - although i prefer to call it a nap.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 25, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@underpanties...I like AV for one year @ 4 mil.also. Now add in 5 more years with a nmc and tell me what you think.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | August 25, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Here's an article on Bieksa that I just found that sums it up nicely: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Good+chance+Bieksa+will+start+season+Canuck/3438149/story.html

Posted by: ThePat | August 25, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

cstanton: Were those 12 oz man-sized beers or the 7 oz ponies?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 25, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

o hell no, they were full 12s. Maybe I need to drink water. I don't drink enough water. Man I used to suck down a dozen rum n cokes with no problems. Stupid aging

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

currently, our D is worse than it was last yr because we lost Morrisonn. That's the way things currently stand. Alzner is not going to step in and suddenly be a more effective defenseman than was ShaMo. Down the road, remains to be seen. But adding Alzner and subtracting Mo is not a positive gain to start the season.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nimrodrsp

He's young, still like it. We signed Poti to a 4 year deal, for $3.5. He essentially fills his spot and salary. Count on AV to be a 1st pair guy for the next 6 years, sounds good. $4.25 may turn into a bargain (see Wade Redden).

Going into the offeason, he was the guy we all agreed we needed. That contract was doable.

Uncle Lou has a pretty good track record, no?

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

yep I'd get on board with that contract based on what Underpantalones said. That's what it took to get Volchenkov obviously and I don't think anyone here (the lovers or the haters) would have been up in arms if we'd signed AV to a similar contract. His age makes that contract worthwhile.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Carlson was added as well. Then when you consider Carlson's, Alzner's, Schultz's, and Green's ages each is likely to improve a good amount. With Alzner and Carlson likely to improve the most.

On AV, how does anyone here know if AV would have accepted the same contract with the Caps? Maybe he didn't want to come to Washington. Maybe he and his wife like the idea of living in NYC better than living in DC. Who knows what else went into that decision.

On Unlce Lou, he actually has been a part of some of the worst post lockout deals. One was letting Scott Niedermeyer go, another was letting Raflaski go, the last was signing Vladamir Malakhov.

Here is the list:

Posted by: sgm3 | August 25, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Carlson was already here. And other teams have young dmen who can improve also.

I agree. AV probably didn't want to play D in Bruce's system. Can't say I blame him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

regarding ThePat's article...

"Note: Willie Mitchell was skating with Bieksa, and some of the other Canucks Tuesday. Mitchell hadn't announced his decision on where he will sign. Vancouver fans should probably not read too much into the fact he's skating in the city and with Canucks.

'We've been close for a long time," Bieksa said of Mitchell. "It's nice to hang out with him a little bit before he makes his decision.' "

Posted by: FrankM73 | August 25, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

ShaMo also did a lot of (uncredited) heavy lifting for this team. Who's filling that void? Too much to ask young Carlson to really do it. And Schultz, Poti, and Alzner seem pretty unwilling/incapable.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

sgm3

Guys signing somewhere else is not letting them walk. How do you know they were not outbid?

Also, on AV, with the Russian contingent here, one would assume he would have played here, maybe for a little less even.

How are any of the moves you mentioned worse than:

Redden
Drury
Gomez
Luongo
Nylander
Thomas
Dipietro
Campbell
Jokinen (twice)
Huet

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Other teams do have young D-men who are improving. How is that relevant to determining if the Caps D is improved to the Caps D from last year?

Other teams also have older D-men who are getting worse because of their increase age. The Caps do not have any of those.

But the comparison YOU decided to make was not a comparison of the Caps D to other teams, but a comparison of the current Caps D compared to last year's Caps D.

Maybe AV did not want to play in Bruce's system. That is a possibility. Maybe AV didn't want to be in DC because he doesn't like Cherry Blossoms. Maybe he hates hearing about the Redskins. Maybe he doesn't like national monuments.

We could go on and on speculating, but the fact is none of us on this board have any idea what things factored into his decision.

Posted by: sgm3 | August 25, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell signs in LA- 2 year deal. I don't know if I am pissed at this or not, but once again the Capitals and GMGM prove that they just won't take a risk to try and win! This along with the news that Vancouver is probably keeping Bieksa, really doesn't leave a whole lot else. Just announce the Belanger deal and lets get this offseason over with.!

Posted by: rockinthered1 | August 25, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

Let me try. How about money and years?

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

--------

because any improvement that is ever talked about should implictly imply that you are comparing it with other teams around the league. Which is why the whole "our young guys should be better next yr" thing doesn't fly with me. Assume that type of improvement is basically canceled out because many other teams are in the same situation we are in with regards to that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Let me try. How about money and years?

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

add to that McPhee's comments that he had no interest in pursuing AV. I tend to believe him and not assume he was just posturing.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

--------------

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@underpants2

Read the linked article. They did mention a few of the signings you spoke of.

Maybe AV would have signed in DC because of the Russian flavor on the Caps. But the eventual Kovy signing in NJ dispels that. Who knows how important that was to AV? It may have been something he liked but it could have ranked far below any number of factors.

Posted by: sgm3 | August 25, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

can't wait for the "explanation" by the McPhee lovers as to why the Caps didn't get Mitchell.

let me save you the trouble

- hey he's not worth the risk!
- too expensive!
- too many years!
- we already have a great young improving D!

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

LA Times is reporting it.

Now what? Erskine/Sloan? Great!

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

GM: "Frankly, we weren't interested. We looked around and talked it over internally and came to the decision that what we had was better than what was out there. We're prepared to go into the season with the team we had last year. The same team who did win the President's trophy. We've done a great job of building from within and we'll continue down that road until I get fired. Which won't be anytime soon because I have Ted sniffing my drawers like a happy little puppy"

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

Not true. At the time we signed Nylander and Poti they were fairly decent signings (at the time). Far from scraps anyway. Just recently as last off season we got Knuble on the 1st day. We also got the best goaltender of the 2008 off season after we let Huet go (which looks like a brilliant move today doesn't it).

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Money and years are always the most important. But the discussion was whether AV would have accepted an identical contract with the Caps over the Devils. So those points become moot in that comparision.

"if its true, its not surprising in the least. The Caps are never serious players in the FA/Trade markets. They'll get scraps (if anything) and claim its what they wanted all along."

I love how this is immediatley assumed that the Caps didn't go after him. That's why they brought him in for a tryout? I'm sure Mitchell's desire to stay on the West coast had nothing to do with it. You're an idiot.

Posted by: sgm3 | August 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

SGM3 - Money and Years. That's all. There is no magic formula. Money and Years.

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Kings just became even more fun to watch.

Jack Johnson, Doughty, Mitchell, Greene with Scuderi, Drewiske and Teubert in the fold. That ladies and gents is a quality NHL defense, at least on paper.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

WM could have lived in Arlington, VA or Los Angeles, CA. I'm sure that was a factor. How can you blame GMGM for WM's decision without hearing the factors (which we may never hear)??

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

-------

hilarious. They were both outright bums. Poti had been booed off Edmonton AND the Rangers before his next team finally accepted he'd never play upto his size. Nylander was a finesse old centerman who had success with Jagr. Only a myopic fan or GM would think that Nylander could be plugged into any lineup and see similar success.

i hated both signings at the time. The Poti signing not as much as Nyles. But i certainly didn't consider either player to be a big FA prize.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

rockinthered1

Where did you see this - name your source please - Thanks

Posted by: jeets | August 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | August 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

you're gonna call me an idiot? You stupid piece of garbage dimwit stat-hound of a poser hockey fan? Go take up needlework or cross-stitching. You'll have a better chance of understanding that you effing tool!

and learn to read while you're at you dipsht. SERIOUS PLAYERS. The Caps are never serious. They dabble and then they get out. Now go get hit by a bus.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

C'mon man! You're starting to sound like Joke. Look you were ok until you got to the "down the road til I get fired" part. Then it was pure Joke material. At least your rants are somewhat tolerable as there is some fact to them but this one doesn't.

Look, GM does say that every offseason but has he lied? No this is the plan and we've improved every year for the past 4 yrs. Yes I think we improved last yr and were a better team than the previous yr.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Why does there have to be an excuse? San Jose and Vancouver wanted him too. A lot of teams wanted him. "Apologists" get hammered here all the time but those of you that complain just never stop.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 25, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Before anyone goes out and says that GMGM messed up by not getting AV at the price NJ got him or Madden and the Wild's price let me ask you this question. Do any of you have his phone tapped or work in the Caps front office? Then there is no way to know that he didn't contact them. It is not always the one who offers the most that wins the player. I am not saying it did happen but it very well could have. Especially a guy like Madden who has played his whole career for defensive minded teams and is now playing for the Wild. AV might have told the Caps I want to play in front of a sure Hall of Fame goalie and be on a defense first team because that is the style of play I like or something like that.

Here is my take on things. I think that GMGM talked to several D-men this offseason like he did with Mitchell. And for one reason or another, Mitchell seems to want to stay out West, Dan Hamhuis wanted to play for Vancouver only, they have told the Caps they were not interested in playing here.

So now GMGM has to look into a trade to get the D-man even he sees he needs. Other GMs can see this as well and are going to ask for a lot to get a good d-man (see Burke's demands for Tomas Kaberle). The only players who seem to be realisticly available are guys like Sheldon Souray who come with a big cap hit and a bad attitude.

I wish the Caps would sign an offer sheet with Staal. They can go up to $4,637,944 with only giving up a first and a third. Right now, according to Capgeek, even with Redden off the books they have $4,803,333 in cap space unless they use the bonus cushion. That is without Staal 14 forwards but only 5-D. So adding Staal at the max the Caps can offer give them $165,389 in cap space with a roster of 22 players. They may feel fine going into the season with that but it would make in VERY hard for them to trade midseason or to call up guys. The Caps have $4,468,204 right now in cap space without using the cushion with a roster of 21. Stall at the max would put us slightly over the cap but we could send down Sloan or Erskine and would be fine. Then if they were worried about being tight on the cap or not having a pick in the first three rounds of the draft next year they could trade Flash for picks. I would bet a team like the Islanders or Colorado wouldn't mind taking him for a second and a third. He would really make sense for Colorado because they could use more scoring and don't want long contracts with Galiardi, Stoa, David Jones, Klye Cuminsky, and Ryan Wilson all being RFAs and Anderson, Hejduk, Foote, Hannan, and Budaj all being UFAs after this year.

Worst case cap wise we could be with getting Staal at the max and trading Flash would be $280,210 under the cap without the cushion with a roster of 22 and over $1.1m with the cushion. That is with Belanger and his almost $2m, and having Johansson as the #2 center instead of the cheaper MP and keeping Erskine as the extra D instead of Sloan.

Posted by: icehammer97 | August 25, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

if the la times is reporting it - they are hiding it pretty well - i couldn't find it on their web site

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 25, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

rockinthered1

Where did you see this - name your source please - Thanks

Posted by: jeets | August 25, 2010 2:55 PM

Just do a google search on Willie Mitchell and choose "latest". You will have your proof.

Posted by: rockinthered1 | August 25, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't see anything in online LA Times for this.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 25, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

After the way this season ended, at this point, how can any Caps fan not claim this offseason as anything other than a complete and utter failure?

We are a CUP FAVORITE for Christ sake! We just LOST in the FIRST ROUND, again by the way. We just BLEW a TWO GAME LEAD, again by the way.

What in the world is McPhee doing?

Posted by: underpants2 | August 25, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Then again, it looks like he has signed a 2 year deal at 3.5 per year. To me that is a little expensive for someone comming off of a concussion.

Posted by: rockinthered1 | August 25, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------

there's enough examples of teams out there who have improved their skill level and yet missed out on understanding some core concepts of what it takes to win. Those teams have NEVER had deep playoff runs until they either changed their management or they changed their philosophy. I don't need to let every season play itself out to figure out that even on paper, this team is missing some core components of a strong playoff team. With no apparent urge to address it. And last yr's team was still a weak playoff team. Regardless of their reg season record.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
So signing a UFA away from Edm to be your #1 or #2 center was a "scrap" signing? Nylander wasn't a scrap UFA at the time.

And signing a Dman to play top 3 minutes was a "scrap" signing?

Was Knuble a scrap? Was Theo a scrap?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

-----

uhh cuz they uh give dem trophies for havin da best reckerd

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that the kings had to do something since they lost out on Kovalchuk.

Posted by: rockinthered1 | August 25, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

rock

Not doubting it - just asking that when you post news, please add your source - as we all know, not all news is trustworthy and you'll come off better if you cite your source rather than a fraud if it ends up wrong.

Once again, i believe you - not saying you're wrong, just wanting proof that your right...

Posted by: jeets | August 25, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

And signing a Dman to play top 3 minutes was a "scrap" signing?

Was Knuble a scrap? Was Theo a scrap?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

NYLANDER WAS A HORRIBLE SIGNING. Just because you or McPhee thought he was a big prize, doesn't make it a quality signing even at the time. I hated the signign at the time and was praying against hope that we'd lose him out to the Oil. So no effin way am I givin credit to McPhee for a signing that I thought was garbage to begin with.

Poti? How many teams were rushing to get him? He wasn't even at the FA level that guys like Mitchell with his concussion were in. Poti was absolutely a 2nd or 3rd tier signing. No way was he close to being a bluechip prize.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rockinthered1 | August 25, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

they're probably better off going with strong veteran D anyway.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

With no apparent urge to address it.
-------------------------------------------
So DJ King isn't a move in the right direction?

Granted he's not coming here but looking at Mitchell isn't showing signs of getting more "playoff ready"?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Did I say Knuble was a scrap signing? No, I said he was a good signing but not necessarily a top tier FA given his age.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

For all we know, Willie Mitchell could have signed with The Kings so he had more opportunities to try to stick it to Vancouver for not resigning him.

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

With no apparent urge to address it.
-------------------------------------------
So DJ King isn't a move in the right direction?

DJ was a kneejerk reaction to the rest of the Eastern Conf teams muscling up. People act like McPhee carefully waits around to make the right move and pick up the perfect enforcer type. That's a joke because DJK was a dime a dozen AHL enforcer who got a shot with the Blues because they value what he brought. To pretend that there aren't guys like this available every stinkin yr is ludicrous. That's why some teams are never caught with their pants down and ALWAYS have someone to play that role. Its only apparently the Caps who have to sit and lurk in the shadows waiting to pounce on the perfect enforcer type. First Brashear, now King.

So to answer, of course its nice to pick up a King. But like Scott Walker last yr, these acquisitions don't mean squat until you see what their plans are for these types of role players.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

He didn't leave the Canucks on bad terms. They didn't outright dump him. And they publicly stated they were interested in bringing him back. So that theory I'm afraid is null and void.

But sgm as usual offers up every excuse in the book. Now its, Willie likes the sun and sand so he signed with the Kings despite McPhee's best efforts. lmao

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Oh so just because YOU don't think it was a good signing he was a bum? Oh I get it now.

Well reality says he was coming off a career year and there were plenty of teams that wanted him.

Regardless of "your" opinions most would agree they were "good" singings or at least not the "bums" you accuse them of being.

You still didn't address Knuble and Theo but that's ok. We get it.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

no problem jeets. Sorry it came off a bit strong! Just a little disapointed!

Posted by: rockinthered1 | August 25, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

On Mitchell, IF he is signing with LA it just shows he really wanted to stay out west. The Caps were the only East coast team he even went to talk to. There are still some very underratted D-men out there like Andreas Lilja. Here is a stay at home guy who could play with Poti or Carlson depending on who they partner Alzner with. He was good enough for Detroit to use him and has experience from their Cup winning teams. Our top D-pairing is fine as Green and Shultz especially if we have a strong defensive d-pairing to go against the other teams top players. Green and Shultz are good together and no matter if you like their style or not are a good first pairing. We need a guy to play or the second/third pair to make it more of a shutdown pairing. Lilja or a similar player would give us a guy on one of those two lines that would help take scoring chances away from the other teams top guys. If we had gotten AV or someone who is a top line guy would we have paired him with Green? Would you then be putting Green out their, with a very strong partner, against the other teams top players? Or would you have your big $4.5 million dollar player playing on a second pairing. Does spending all of that money really make us that much better if we are having Green be forced out their against the #1 line of the other team? Would you have the new guy get #1 pair time with whoever his partner is and have your two time finalist for the Norris playing on the second pairing? If that happens how does that change the locker room and does it make the team play poorer. These are the type of questions that some of you seem to not even consider because you are looking at the team on paper and not taking into account all of the differnt things the GM has to worry about other then just "we need a shutdown guy lets get the best one we can."

Posted by: icehammer97 | August 25, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 -

I understand that you're frustrated, so am I...but I'm still not going to put the blame on GMGM for this. I'm sorry.

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

----

no, you don't get it because why would you or i or anyone else give credit for a signing that you yourself think is terrible? At the time we needed more power forward types on our scoring lines. Other teams like the Flyers were adding that element to their top lines. And having an old finesse center was not the answer. So yes, I stand by the fact I thought it was as awful horrible signing and I wasn't proven wrong. So for that I need to be sorry? ok.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

You still didn't address Knuble and Theo but that's ok. We get it.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Didn't address Knuble? Use your scroll button, it does wonders.

I don't talk goalies.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

At least we'll get Douglas Murray from The Sharks now, right?? :)

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

don't be sorry. Just understand that you'll probably never blame McPhee for anything.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Caps are getting ready to complete their trade now the Mitchell is signed. I know some people who know some people who also know some people. So my people talked to their people who talk to their people and then their people and it all came back as "Caps trade will be announced soon".

I wonder what soon is in relation to? Christmas! LOL.

The top part is serious though.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

btw, ftr

there were plenty of fans I talked with who were not happy with the Pothier or Poti signings. I don't remember the general sentiment on the Nylander signing but I do remember how ticked off I was about it. And just because the "masses" think something is a good signing does not make it so. In fact, it appears to be the diametric opposite.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

jrock, we get Doug Murray and I'll be more than happy to shut up about McPhee for at least 3 months.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

The top part is serious though.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

lets hope McPhee doesn't fk it up like he did with Corvo and a slew of other deals.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1-

THREE months??

I'll take it!! LOL

I'm kidding, I do admire your passion though.

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@poker

do the names Jagr and Corvo mean anything to you? Because those were also deals that were roundly praised at the time by the so-called "experts"

i liked the moves for chris clark and matt bradley. Based on my knowledge of those players and the fact that we sorely needed some character to start the rebuild. I liked giving up a mid round pick for Jurcina. I was a fan of picking up Erskine as a bottom 6 dman because we needed some toughness on D. I disliked the Chimera trade. Didn't think much of the Belanger signing. Like the Carlson draft pick after I had some time to research him after the draft and what he did that season in London.

But no way do I give credit to McPhee for stepping in and grabbing a freaking Nylander. I don't care if the entire world thought that was a good deal. It stunk from the very beginning.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1-

THREE months??

I'll take it!! LOL

I'm kidding, I do admire your passion though.

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 25, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

its a tiered approach

- Doug Murray buys McPhee and this blog 3 months of cstanton-free postings.

- Bieksa buys 1 month

- Same for Souray.

- a trade for Staal and Dubinsky/Callahan buys 3 months also

- dumping Flash buys 2 weeks unless we get back an equally soft player. A month if its for a Bieksa.

etc

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 25, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

its a tiered approach
-----------------------------------------

So when we win the Cup will it be forever! LOL! Just kidding bro (kinda). I know there's a ray of hope in your life unlike my other buddy who's a closet pens fan.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 25, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@Capt. Kirk & Tominsocal

If you guys are looking for more Caps company to help root the Caps on at Jobbing.Com, I live in Phx and can join in the fun. I don't post on here too much, but read and respect your opinions and would enjoy hanging with you guys.

Posted by: stuffedinvader | August 26, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse