Caps 3, 'Bolts 2

The Caps, admittedly, did not play their best game of the month. But thanks to Alex Ovechkin's clutch third period goal, they managed to eke out a 3-2 win over the Lightning and extend their winning streak 10, matching a 26-year-old franchise record for consecutive wins.

For Brooks Laich, struggling and still winning signaled something positive.

"I think a sign of a very good hockey team is when they can win when they're not at their best," Laich said, "and tonight I think we did that."

Coach Bruce Boudreau agreed.

"When you're used to winning, you find ways to win," Boudreau said. "They found a way to win even though it wasn't our best game offensively. There were a bunch of guys who were a little off tonight."

Check out my gamer here, then come on back for some notes and quotes:

*Let's start with the weird end to the game. Vinny Lecavalier lost his cool after getting tossed from the faceoff circle with 2.4 seconds remaining, the Caps clinging to a one goal lead and the draw deep in Washington's end. After Lecavalier mouthed off to linesman Bryan Panchich, the Lightning center was assessed a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, forcing the faceoff to the other end of the ice and eliminating the threat.

Lecavalier was still complaining afterward.

"Their guys intimidated him to kick me out," Lecavalier said. "Their guys were yelling, 'Come on, look at him, throw him out.' And he kicked me out. That's why I got upset. It didn't seem like his decision."

Steckel admitted to speaking up, telling Damian Cristodero of the St. Pete Times, "I'm trying to gain any advantage I can."

*The Caps can break the franchise record for wins on Tuesday in Boston. The NHL record is 17, set by the Penguins in 1993.

*Before the game, Michal Neuvirth was sent to Hershey so he would be eligible to play there during the Olympic break. He went down and promptly made 32 saves to backstop the Bears to a 6-1 win over Binghamton.

Here's what Boudreau had to say about the move: "We want to see if we can get away with Michal being down there five our of the next eight games and being allowed to play [with the Bears] during the Olympic break. If it doesn't work out, we have no qualms about calling him up. I can guarantee that he'll be called up before the Olympics to play."

What also remains to be seen is whether Boudreau will give Braden Holtby his first NHL start. I know the organization is anxious to see what he can do up here after watching him dominate the AHL.

*Speaking of goalies, Boudreau was pleased with Jose Theodore's 25 save effort.

"He made the saves when he had to," Boudreau said. "No matter if they had 20 shots or 20 shots or 50 shots, when you allow two goals and you make the big save when you're counted on, that's what you need to do."

*Ovechkin's third period goal was his fifth game winner. Nicklas Backstrom's second period goal gave him a career-best 23. Backstrom's extension is getting more and more expensive with each passing day. Pretty soon, Ted Leonsis is just going to hand him his checkbook.

*Tyler Sloan filled up the stat sheet in his first game in five games (he was in for Mike Green, who is suspended). Sloan had two shots, four hits and two takeaways in a steady 16:30 of ice time.

*Interesting stat of the night: The Lightning blocked 24 shots (11 off the stick of Ovechkin). The Caps blocked 5.

*The Caps are 21-3-3 at home, and have won nine straight at Verizon Center. It's the second longest streak in franchise history. They also have the fewest regulation losses at home in the NHL.

I feel like I'm typing "franchise history" a lot these days. With the way the Caps are playing, I'm starting to think I might be typing that in late May and June, too.

Practice tomorrow is at 11.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 31, 2010; 8:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineup: Lightning at Caps
Next: Morning roundup: Caps win 10th straight

Comments

"Their guys were yelling, 'Come on, look at him, throw him out.'

HAHA I can totally see Steckel yelling that!!

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

God willing (you'll be typing it in June) Tarik, God willing.

Posted by: mercedeskk | January 31, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Where the heck is Binghampton?

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | January 31, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Hope you got plenty to say in June, Tarik, but let's not get carried away. Believe the year the Pens won 17 in a row to set the NHL record, they did not win the Cup.

Posted by: alagarts | January 31, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

@ alagarts

you're correct. they finished the year with 119 points, the president's trophy and the second round upset by the heavy-underdog Isles...

I can still remember Kasparitis annyoing the heck outta Super Mario in the series

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Dude,

Tampa was bitter in the locker room. Who do they think they are, a good team or something? LoL. It's the Caps you're playing, not Atlanta. Ya'll should expect to lose.

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 31, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations on another win, Caps. Keep looking forward.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 31, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Binghampton is where I got my last speeding ticket.

Stupid intersection of I-81 and NY State Road 17.

The natives say "bingo" or "B-Sens" or "binghamton", but those are minor details.........

Posted by: CF11555 | January 31, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Tampa thinks they're good because they beat us 7-4.

And why is Vinny Lecavalier still all steamed up about that incident?? Loser.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

they got something that the Caps don't tho...

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

they got something that the Caps don't tho...

Posted by: joek443

Yeah but not this year :)

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 31, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

The only reason this game was close was because the caps were playing their 4th game in 6 freaking nights.

This is a great sign because it shows that the caps are good team. Like Brooks said good teams still find a way to win games when they just don't have that jump or energy.

The lightning need to get over themselves. They aren't that great, a marginal team that might sneak into the playoffs. They need to realize that they should stop talking before they face us again when we are fresh and we end up giving them yet another lopsided beatdown.

Posted by: O-V-P | January 31, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

they still got Vinny and St. Louis and an emerging superstar in Stamkos plus Hedman... if they get some decent goaltending, they're not really that far off

Posted by: joek443 | January 31, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Great win for the Caps. All this talk about Theodore and Holtby is nice and it would be exciting to see what BH can do if nedded. What's up with Varly? Haven't heard or read anything in a few days about him. I know he did not play in Hershey this weekend. Did he have another setback? Let's get #11 on Tuesday in Beantown.

Posted by: jlach | January 31, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

still trolling all caps boards huh alagarts?

Posted by: O-V-P | January 31, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I can totally see why Vinny was mad. If you watch the replay, the linesman isn't going to throw him out until Stecks speaks up. At such a pivotal moment in the game, it was weird to see that happen. Regardless, chances are they weren't going to score in 2.4 seconds, but who knows. Either way, the Caps got 2 points which is all that matters, but that certainly wasn't one of their better games.

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 31, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

well, the caps are pulling away with the Eastern Conference lead...

80 points to New Jersey's 72.

Posted by: j762 | January 31, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Why is Jamie Foxx famous? He was a really terrible comic that imitated a disabled musician icon, won an oscar, and is now part of the Hollywood and musical elite. Did people forget how awful, unfunny and untalented he use to be before "Ray."

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps | January 31, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

alagarts isn't a troll... he's just putting things into perspective.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

@rachel

I am a realist too and of course the playoffs are a whole different animal, just ask the san jose sharks. However, I have seen this guy go from caps board to caps board trolling. Now, this might be a different alagarts but I doubt someone else would just come up with that same name.

Posted by: O-V-P | January 31, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

O-V-P: Oh, okay. You knew something I didn't know. I've never come across this poster before, but judging from that post he doesn't seem like a troll. But I'll take your word.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

The Bears only put up 6? They've been averaging 8. If I had gone to the game, I would have demanded my money back.

Posted by: zmega | January 31, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I doubt Lacavalier would have been bounced had he not said something stupid. I'm sure he asked for it.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 31, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

HAHA zmega ;)

Well what about the Caps? They only scored 3 today. This is gonna hurt the 3.8 goals per game average!!! If only we could've got that empty net goal.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 31, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

"With the way the Caps are playing, I'm starting to think I might be typing that in late May and June, too."

chills

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 31, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Please!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | January 31, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jlach | January 31, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse
-----------
Go to Tarik's twitter page and you'll see a few updates about Varly.

Posted by: elicea | January 31, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

we can only hope tarik is a visionary with that late june talk. We have had one too many heartbreaks over the years...

Posted by: O-V-P | January 31, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I must be too into hockey and the Caps because Bon Jovi (performance at the Grammys) just reminded me of Semin.. ;-)

Posted by: RusCap | January 31, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Stevie Nicks tried to sing on the Grammys tonight too. Too much chain-smoking over the years - time to hang it up, I'm afraid. She sounds like a guy, and I mean a guy who can't sing.

Posted by: zmega | January 31, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure tarik will have plenty to write about in june.This is, the year of the caps.the cup engraver better start learning how to spell there names now,we dont want another elvis incident.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | January 31, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@RusCap

I have long thought that Semin and Jon Bon Jovi somewhat resemble each other -- could have been separated at birth, except that maybe Bon Jovi is acutally Semin's father?

Posted by: Steakum | January 31, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

gratefuldid,

Don't worry, the Caps are still being treated as if they were last in the league. The local affiliates don't care, the local news does not care. Nobody cares except the real fans and half of Comcast Sports Net. But yeah, when you're in town, come by Fados, Bar Louie, Rock Bottom Brewery Near Kettler, or Clydes for a little bit of that Caps celebratory spirit. :)

Posted by: UnleashTheCaps

THATS A SHAME.they still dont get no local love.If d.c wants to be known as a hockey town they need to step it up.Sad thing is even if the caps went on a 5 yr winning streak,it would only take one bad year to not be noticed again.So come on d.c.,redskins suck but they still get the love,we got a winning team in the caps and hopefully after this year everyone will know about the caps.Then maybe they'll get the reconition they deserve.
@unleashthecaps
I'll most definitly will have to stop by some of those places and soke in the caps spirit cause i got plenty to give myself.And i'm gonna check out kettler while i'm there.hopefully they will be practicing and i can check out some caps there.Anyway,it should be awesome,i cant wait.LETS KEEP THE STREAK ALIVE,GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | January 31, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

@ Steakum

I think it's the hair - color and length. Well if Bon Jovi somehow fathered a child in Russia at 22, maybe!

Posted by: RusCap | January 31, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

The Flames make another trade: Sending Olli Jokinen and Brandon Prust to the Rangers for Ales Kotalik and Chris Higgins

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 31, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

There's something really great about looking at a standings with "last 10" and seeing 10-0-0. Bravo.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 31, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Steckel is a WIZARD.

Posted by: butcherbaker | January 31, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Your keyboard to God's ears, Tarik.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 31, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Christ, why do I read these comments.

Posted by: large23220 | January 31, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@large23220: No idea, but then I'm not sure why I do either. Instead of commenting on it, though, you could always turn off the computer :)

Posted by: kittypawz | January 31, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Never been a big Erskine fan, so I'm probably extra hard on him. Was at the game today, and Erskine's play stood out. Although not a star of the game, he was extremely solid for the full 60.

Thanks Ersk...good on you!

Posted by: WCAPS1 | January 31, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

@WCAPS1 as long as Erskine isn't playing against fast skaters he does pretty well. He's also been improving his positioning lately.

Posted by: butcherbaker | February 1, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

39 hard hat bb knows best

Posted by: unclebully4 | February 1, 2010 4:29 AM | Report abuse

It looked to me like something was wrong with Ovie's skates for a while. Like they needed sharpening or the blades were coming loose because he was slipping around and falling without anyone near him. Then I think I saw him on the bench handing his skate to someone, so maybe the skate got fixed.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | February 1, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Binghamton (Not Binghampton) is my hometown area and it is a small city in southern upstate NY near the Pennsylvania border. It has been an AHL city for many years and at one time the Caps shared affiliation with the AHL Binghamton Whalers with the then NHL Whalers.

Posted by: LaureninGlenBurnie | February 1, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

"Definitely not our best game, at all. Unfortunately, this is what the ends of winning streaks look like - signs of the wheels coming off. I don't have a good feeling about Tuesday. Ah well - hard to ask for much more than what we've been given lately, and the Olympic break should stop any possible extended slide if the boys don't on their own. Streaks like this don't last forever."
_____________________

While I understand your sentiments here, I have got to believe that the Caps have another win in this streak. I am not trying to be selfish as a fan in wanting more, more, more. Believe me, if this streak ends on Tuesday I will be very grateful as a fan that I got to experience something very special. However, BB is all about breaking and setting records, so I got to believe that the coaching staff will have the players fired up for the next one.

With only 12 regulation losses this season, even when not playing their best, the Caps have managed to find a way on most occasions to earn points. So far their lulls have come while still managing to put up some points mostly. (especially in the beginning when they were apt to blowing their leads...) Case and point, during this streak, they may have played one of their worst games against the Wings...and the next game they played one of their most motivated games. They manage to find ways to win. Sure, the last two games have not been their best games, but perhaps with a good systems practice today, they could muster up the working habits/fire to come out and break a franchise record tomorrow night.

As I said, whether they do or not tomorrow, I will still cherish this "perfect 10" as a fan. But I still remain optimistic that they will be on a mission tomorrow evening, and can find a way to win it.

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 1, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Unleash the Caps: Are you kidding me? Jamie Foxx had a character on In living color named Wanda. That was always one of the funniest skits on In living color. The only one more funny IMO was non other than Fire Marshall Bill, played by none other than Jim Carey. Remember when Wanda would say "I'll rock your world" while standing there pigeon toed and cross-eyed. Funny stuff.

Anyhow. Tomorrow is going to be a tough tough win. The Bruins have lost something like 6 straight at home and the Caps are due for a total team let down. They have been able to maintain the streak because when there have been offensive struggles the goaltending and defensive play has made the difference. Of course I hope they keep it going but just preparing myself for the inevitable...a regular season loss. I hope some of the naysayers are starting to see what a lot of us have seen from the start of last season. This team is friggin' good. Can they be considered among the elite, at least for January 2010, since they posted 26 points in the standings?

I have a good feeling about late late spring. Our boys aren't doing it with smoke and mirrors, they are simply a solid team. Enjoy this like I am Caps fans. This is fun as heck isn't it?

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 1, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

For those of you blasting the media...

NBC 4 led with the Caps yesterday at 6 p.m sports, and the Sports Junkies were talking about the Caps this morning...

wait until the Super Bowl is over, and I think you will see the media really catch on...my plea is that you dont rip anyone up in the media, who may mis-speak or seem like they dont understand the game....it happens...

I also think the Caps/Pens before the Super Bowl is going to be huge...Super Bowl Parties in houses around DC this year start at noon...not at 4 p.m...

Posted by: SA-Town | February 1, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

If Steckel can intimidate a referree into tossing Lecavalier, he's better at faceoffs than any of us have given him credit for.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 1, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I think it went like this...

Steckel: "This guy is the 6th highest paid player in the NHL and he's what...20th is points??? Get him out of here."

the linesman thought about for 2-3 seconds, and then tossed him from the circle.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 1, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Do people still watch the local networks for their 2.5 mins of sport segments????? I surely dont. Watch Comcast if you want Caps coverage and watch NHL network if you want to get good analysis. The love for the Caps is growing day by day....so many "casual" fans are now starting to keep up with the Caps on a nightly basis. Its funny to see bandwagon fans jumping on but I'd rather them root for the Caps than someother team...it doesnt hurt to see more RED rocked around the area.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Redskins2Win | February 1, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town: Was it for like 7 minutes? Can't listen to that show b/c half the show they talk about non-sports stuff. But they try, so I have to give them credit.

At least Mike Wise has been talking a lot of hockey lately. He's actually starting to grow on me.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 1, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Redskins2Win. Especially with how the casual fan is now a big Caps fans. I am good with that too. A perfect example is how my wife had "lady's day" as we called it. She took friends to Verizon and they sat in our season ticket seats and had a GREAT time. Such a good time that one of her friends, while my wife was on the phone with me, said that they want tickets for another night. I told her that Caps tickets are like a drug these days. The first game the tickets are free, but the second, like a drug, are gonna cost you.

Of course, I don't plan on missing any more games, and my wife ALWAYS has a seat in our set of 4. So her friends will have to wait to use our tickets until next year. My point in my little story, which supports Redskins2Win is that they were very very very casual fans...now they can't wait to get back to Verizon. I think that has happened a lot over the last two seasons. It definitely keeps Verizon LOUD.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 1, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Bruins game in HD tomorrow night!!! Woo-hoo!

Posted by: SA-Town | February 1, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Yea Vinny, when the Caps players asked for a penalty, the refs dutifully give it to them.

We now need to score 6 goals against Bost. to keep up our 5 goal a game average during the streak (not to mention the past 14 games).

If we can keep this up you better believe the Pens will be anxious to stop up at #14, wanting to protect their league record 17 wins in a row.

By the way, the Hershey Bears have won 20 of their last 21, even while we've been raiding their goalie corps. How about a little more coverage of those guys?

Posted by: rjma1 | February 1, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

The linesman tossed Lecavalier from the faceoff circle not because David Steckel was so convincing, but because Steckel was right. Vinnie has to have his stick down first, being the visitor. The quote about "gaining every advantage" made it sound like Stecks was doing something shady, but the linesman might have tossed Lecavalier anyway.

Posted by: MDC33 | February 1, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Definitely gonna be a tough game tomorrow. Boston's on the bubble right now... but we've fared well against teams on the outside looking in so far. Just scares me that they've lost 7 in a row and you know they're gonna bring their A game against us. Who wouldn't want to snap our 10 game win streak?

I know people won't agree but I don't think Theo had that great of a game yesterday. He was saved by the post three times and I'm kinda worried about him tomorrow vs. Boston. I wish we could get a chance to see Braden, but it looks like Varly is coming back soon.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 1, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Last time I looked the Caps are only 1 point behind SJ for 1st place. I'm hoping they have their eye on the President's trophy and continue the win streak. I know the President's trophy doesn't mean diddly in the playoffs but it still means you were the best during the regular season - no mean feat.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 1, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

MDC33, If you're not gaining every advantage you can, anyway you can, then you're not trying.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 1, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watch the second intermission of the Pens v Wings game? Milbum and Pierre Mcmouse listed their best lines in the NHL. Ovie, Backstrom, Knuble wasn't mentioned by Milbum. Mcmouse however thought they were the best line. I don't see how it's even questionable they are the best line in the league.

Posted by: moltzjo | February 1, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

rachel216, The reason they hit the post was because Theo was well positioned to face the shot. I thought he played well against a lot of crease pressure.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 1, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Not really. It's just luck. He got beat cleanly.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 1, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Yes, he was beat cleanly but it didn't go in.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 1, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I'll conceded that on the 1st shot to hit the post the Caps were a little lucky. There seemed to quite a lot to shoot at there. He still reacted quickly and cleared the puck out of the crease though. As for the goals they scored I can only remember Stamkos's one-timer which was Ovi-like. The Caps seemed to take their foot off the gas and got into penalty trouble in the 3rd period.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 1, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what Vinny actually said to get tossed from the game? Just curious.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

FloridaCapsFan, I think you're forgetting about the Heatley/Thornton/Marleau line.

Right now, that's the best line in the Western Conference.

And in the NHL.

And in the Olympics.

Yikes.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

On NBC during the Wings game and again this morning on XM Pierre Maguire was talking about what a great place DC has become to watch a hockey game and that he can't wait to get here. You know NBC folks are praying, burning incense, sacrificing chickens, etc, whatever they can do to have the Caps play on Sunday with a 13 game streak.

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | February 1, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I thought Theo was solid yesterday. The "post shots" look bad for a goalie, but the fact remains that they were not on net, and we don't know whether Theo would have gotten a piece of them had they been on net. He let in only two, and it didn't look to me as if he had a chance on either of them.

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 1, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

MReilly9: No, idea what Vinny actually said but I like to imagine it was along the lines of what Will Ferrell said to Father Pat in Semi-Pro when he got tossed from the game! HAHA

Posted by: eorr53 | February 1, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Right now, that's the best line in the Western Conference.

And in the NHL.

And in the Olympics.

Yikes.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 1, 2010 9:45 AM

Er, what are you talking about?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 1, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Knuble vs. Heatley/Thornton/Marleau both lines are playing incredible and it's like comparing apples to apples.
No real need to. As a hockey fan, you just acknowledge the talent across the board.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 1, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

About the fever around here... been a STH for 15 years. I remember a lot of long walks back to my car without anyone noticing my Caps jersey. Now I have people high-fiving me, cars honking, it is insane. I remember that there was also a time where you could go and get a drink and be in your seat within 2 mins(and that was BETWEEN periods). Now instead of having people not wanting Caps tickets, my phone is blowing up! 41st Consective Sellout!! Great job Caps fans... Keep it going and keep Rocking the Red! 11th win tomorrow!

Posted by: Hunter21 | February 1, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"I can totally see why Vinny was mad. If you watch the replay, the linesman isn't going to throw him out until Stecks speaks up...."

Posted by: Aldred15

Well, if it works like that Steckle should complain before every face-off. The Caps would be on the PP what 10-15 times a game. Then the other centers could learn from Steckle and do the same thing. The Caps would get like 45 power plays a game and with their PP they'd pretty much win every game. :)

It just doesn't work that way. LeCavalier mouthed off too much and got called for it. End of story.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | February 1, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure what Stecks did is done frequently. Players try to get the ref to notice high-sticks, interference, etc... Vinnie probably delayed putting his stick down and Stecks pointed it out. Players are tossed from the circle many times a game. The face off would have remained in the Caps defensive end if it weren't for Vinnie losing it. He screwed up.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 1, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

It's been discussed a bit, but does anyone think BB might give Holtby a shot? The Rangers game might be a nice introduction for him...they have not had much offense lately(excpet Gaborick). I want to see him play. He desereves a shot the way he has been playing in Hershey.

Posted by: capscoach | February 1, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moltzjo | February 1, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Milbury will never say anything good about the Caps. If you want to know why, pick up BB's book. There is a story in there that will shed some light.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | February 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

unless Theo is hurt again, I don't see Holtby getting a start.

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Milbury and Maguire were discussing the lines from western conference first then lster Maguire did mention the Ovie/Backs/Knuble line... the only line mentioned from the East.

so no need to get worked up over nothing

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

also Milbury did praise the Caps for finally playing some good defense

Posted by: joek443 | February 1, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I would rather see the Caps playing against a "Backs to the Wall" must win Bruins team. I wasnt to see how they do agasint one of the "premier" defences in the league.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 1, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what Don Cherry would rank the Caps top line in the NHL? Would they make the top 10 even? Knuble is on it...thats gotta count for something. LMAO.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | February 1, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse