Caps 4, Bruins 3 (OT)

With a flight that leaves in a couple of minutes, I've to be quick. Here's what you need to know about today's game:

*If you haven't seen Alexander Semin's overtime winner, stop reading and go to youtube.com or nhl.com immediately. It was that silly, especially considering the goaltender his neutral zone bomb beat. Tim Thomas is a two-time all-star, the league leader in goals against average and save percentage and stopped at least three breakaways. But he looked pretty awful on this one.

"[I] was tired and trying to shoot the puck in the zone," Semin said through Alex Ovechkin, who interpreted for his fellow Russian. "[I] was a little surprised, but sometimes it happens."

Caps' goalie Jose Theodore sympathized with his counterpart, saying, "As a goalie, looking at the puck, it went back up. I know it doesn't look good, but it's a tough play. It's not a good feeling for a goalie."

Thomas said the puck took a strange trajectory and fooled him. He fell to 9-2-2 all time against the Caps.

"That was one of the luckiest shots I've ever seen," he said. "It was about three inches off the ice until it was halfway to me. Then it just started to lift."

*The Caps improved to 3-0-1 against the Eastern Conference leading Bruins this season and pulled to within eight points. Both teams have 19 games remaining.

*In his post game comments, Boston Coach Claude Julien indirectly admitted to reading my article in today's Post. I was flattered. But I don't think the Caps are going to appreciate what he said.

"I've heard them say that they're in our heads," Julien said, scowling. "They do a lot of talking. They're one goal games. They could have gone either way. By all means, I don't think they scare us."

Julien was referring to some of the Caps saying that if they won today's game, that would give them a psychological advantage should the teams cross paths in the playoffs.

*The Caps' power play went 2 for 5 and now has struck eight times in the past four games. Nicklas Backstrom's goal 3:36 into the game gave the Caps a first period power play goal for the fourth straight contest.

The other power play goal, though, involved a bit of luck. Tomas Fleischmann was attempting to send a crossing pass to Ovechkin, but it hit Dennis Wideman's skate and slipped past Thomas.

*Backstrom's goal was his 17th of the season, extended his points streak to nine games and marked the 15th consecutive game in which the Caps scored in the opening session. The franchise record is 18 games, set in 1988-89.

Backstrom said he felt relieved after Semin's goal. He, of course, was in the box when Zdeno Chara scored the game tying goal with 4:37 left. Backstrom was also in the box when CharaDavid Krejci scored the winner in overtime in the teams' previous meeting.

"I had bad memories from the last time I was here," he said with a smile. "I feel much better right now."

*Someone else who is feeling much better right now is Theodore, who was outstanding, I thought, until Chara beat him under the arm from the middle of the circle.

"I didn't think he had room," Theodore said. "Chara has a hard shot. It's my job to respect a guy like that and challenge a little bit more."

*Fleischmann's goal was his first in eight games and second in 18.

"I needed some luck," he said, "and I had some on [my] goal."

That's it from me tonight. I'll check in again tomorrow from Verizon Center where the Caps host the Panthers.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 28, 2009; 6:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineup and pregame notes (Updated)
Next: Cherry rips Ovechkin's goal celebrations

Comments

That's a lotta comments for having to be quick! Thanks.

Posted by: capsfan77 | February 28, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Great end to come home to. We got lucky, very lucky, but its good to hold the series on them.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

whata clown thomas is, own it...the game winner was a shot that every goalie even high school goalies should stop

you didn't and your team lost, period

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, Krejci scored in the last game when Backstrom was in the box in OT, not Chara. Overall a solid effort, but we won't always get lucky with a long bomb from outside the blue line. Way to go Caps!

Posted by: virkulous | February 28, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Someone said that in the previous post:

He is so bitter! He talks a lot too, a coach doesn't say that unless he's mad, he is SO BITTER, and we HAVE gotten into their heads, he just doesn't want to admit it.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

great game, glad we got the W, the psychological affect this will have is almost as valuable as the 2 points. watch the last second of the replay after semin's goal. brash is on the bench facing the bruins fans pounding his stick on the glass at them while they jeer him. haha it's too funny. i love it.

Posted by: capsfan387 | February 28, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ Julien, if the Caps are not in your head, why are you even acknowledging the comment? Total loser talk -- me thinks you doth protest too much ...

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 28, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

*snickers at the Bruins' Coach* I'm not even going to acknowledge that the guy has a name. He's that unimportant to me. Regardless of what he felt he needed to say, being diplomatic was hardly his forte, I imagine. As for our win today, dUUde! You shoulda' just kept your mouth shut or said something less bitter. Backfired!

Hit the Panthers hard and fast tomorrow, Capitals!

Caps Fans: Unleash the Fury too!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 28, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Re: Tim Thomas: Saying it was lucky was his excuse cause he knew he should’ve stopped it. What a sore loser, I hate people like that. Why do you have do come out and say that was the luckiest goal ever? Say "I should've had that", it wouldn't be lucky if he were paying attention and stopped it. Him and his coach are bitter! I know you're scared of us! losers, losers, losers.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

we own the Bruins, but unfortunately, the Phlyers own us. Here's hoping we match up with the Northeast in the first 1 or 2 rounds, and someone takes care of Philly before then...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | February 28, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I think Torts finally kicked the Rangers offense into gear. They're up 4-0 with 4 minutes left in the first.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

the flyer dont "own" us we are 1-2 against them

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Terpsrule:

Agreed... if you're not scared of us then why do you feel you have to say it/acknowledge it? If you aren't scared you would say nothing. I think he wants our team to believe him when he says he's not scared, but he really is. And he says we talk a lot? Talk about unecessary comments to make himself feel better and not give us any credit. Yeah, the games we play against each other are usually 1 goal games, but we still beat you and you can't say it could've gone either way with the games at Verizon. We played solid and got enough offense in our 2-1 wins at home. Wow, talk about a bitter coach, and a bitter goalie.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Until now, I harboured no opinion for Tim Thomas either way but after his "luckiest shots" comment, what a sore loser.

Also, did any of you think the shot was even on goal? Look at where the puck comes out and you can see how far to the left Thomas was. Remember, the red line defining the outside of the crease is actually 1 ft. outside of the post and I think he might have even deflected the puck in.

Lucky, yeah right Sap.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that, even though we won, we only got one of three stars? I don't recall one of our players getting a star when we lose (well rarely anyway). But the reverse happens a lot. I don't get how these stars are awared anyway.

Posted by: caraveli | February 28, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the replay on NHL.com and after Semin scored youll see Brasher on the bench hitting the glass with his stick and looking what appears to be him taunting a Bruins fan.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | February 28, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

the flyer dont "own" us we are 1-2 against them

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 7:42 PM

And the Caps are 7-6 the last two years -- the Caps came back from 3-1 in the series and lost on a power play in an overtime in game 7 - and that was after the Caps spent every ounce of energy just to get into the playoffs -- the flyers got lucky - and in the last game, I counted 5 breakaways, 3 hit posts and 3 missed empty nets for the Caps -- the Caps were hardly over matched -the flyers don't own anything -- seriously, there's no evil darkness, no mythical beast, no black cat or cursed goat -- the flyers are just a hockey team -- that can be beat just like everyone else

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 28, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

caraveli, they do it on individual efforts, not if the team won. But I don't agree with Jose not getting a star, he made 34 saves.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I saw Brash pounding the glass when the game ended, but was in a bar and didn't hear the commentary. Did announcers catch it?

Posted by: bluejeener1 | February 28, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:
if theo had made the save on chara and the caps had won 3-2 - i think he would have been one of the three stars

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

bluejeener1:
i watched the caps feed of the game - no one said anything about that - they were all over semin 80 ft slap shot for the win

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Sasha Semin and the incredible swerving puck!

Posted by: Bartolo1 | February 28, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who loves Ovechkin and hates Crosby needs to find the YouTube of tonight's Don Cherry piece during Hockey Night in Canada.

I hope it's at least 15 more years before a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup.

I guess Cherry, in all his whining about Ovechkin's goal celebrations and defending Crosby's "class," didn't have time to see Petr Sykora's (not Canadian, I know, but same team) goal celebration vs. the Kings a few nights ago.

Posted by: writered21 | February 28, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Apologies - Sykora's winner was against the Islanders.

Posted by: writered21 | February 28, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Here is something for all you guys to chew on...Just finished watching "Coaches Corner with Don Cherry " He is slamming Ovechkin, for his after goal celebration Cherry says its like the european soccer players not what a Bobby Orr or Yzerman would do ...He said Ovechkin, will get his clock cleaned one of these days coming across centre..I agree.. Cherry also said fans that think this is ok to jump around like he does after a goal are the same ppl that said it is OK what Evrey did .

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Don't listen to anything Don Cherry says, he'll make you dumb. I mean, look at his wardrobe? Talk about hideous.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

rachel well you should ...this man has forgotten more about hockey than any of you will ever know

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

don cherry is a pice of garbage, he contradicts himself at least 3 or 4 times a show. he is a clown and a sideshow act, and has to wear that flamboyant clothes so people hopefully are distracted by what is actually coming out of his mouth

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

thats OK if someone does hit Ovechkin, at least you have "tough guy" Semin to back him up....slap him silly Semin

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Why do people always claim that Ovechkin is going to get his clock cleaned? Who's going to do that exactly?? Haven't teams figured out how incredibly and remarkably stupid that is? The more physical you get with Ovechkin the BETTER he plays -- how many times have teams tried it only to be on the business end of an Ovechkin check into the glass and the ensuing hat trick? Cherry's an idiot -- complaining about a guys complete and utter exuberance when he scores a goal is so small minded and petty -- it's like in baseball -- if you don't want a guy to celebrate a walk off home run, then strike his a** out - if you don't want Ovechkin celebrating a score -- then don't let the puck hit the back of the net ... in the meantime Don, you and all your Crosby fawning ilk -- can just shut your pie holes

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 28, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand Don Cherry. What a punk. Ovi brings excitement back to a game which was almost dead due to the whole lockout. He's the face of the new NHL, not that little crybaby Cindy.

Posted by: billyrich | February 28, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Grapes gives Canadians a bad name. I don't know what's worse, that he says what he says, or that nobody's "cleaned his clock" for saying it. I realise he's old and set in his ways, but if anyone else said half the xenophobic, ignorant, spiteful things he does, they'd be crucified. I know I gave up being snarky towards people I don't know for Lent, but I really dislike that man. He make me want to throw things and yell at small children.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Are you saying that Don's clothing does'nt go with his "Stanley Cup Rings"

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

i hope no one EVER again compares soccer to hockey, what a disgrace to hockey

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

But I do like the socks the Leafs have on.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907
Don Cherry is an idiot. Why european football is #1 sports marketing in the WORLD? Because of celebration and entertaning when the goal comes. Don Cherry want a boring "poker face" Crosby celebretion, well, hes in minority. Majority want ENERGIZING ENTERTAINMENT

Posted by: Hazz | February 28, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is just a hater

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

is don cherry going to throw a yellow card at OVIE for celebrating? people have trying to clean Ovie's clock for 4 years now and it ihasnt happened yet

go get fired from espn again DON

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Everyone in hockey knows Don Cherry is going senile. Even his so called fans are admitting his current presence is finite. The last time I was at Don Cherry's in Ottawa the employees said he got lost tryng to find Rideau Street at night and was late to his own appearance.

Whatever he says is well, sad.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Just watched Don Cherry on Coach's Corner on the Hockey Network. The guy is an a**. He critizes OV for celebrating, then practically calls for a defensemen some where to cut him in half. He states the OV is getting a free pass by everyone and "he doesn't know why" So cheering and celebrating after a game is ok but intentionally going after someone is ok. Talk about a pitiful human being.

Posted by: sazzwho | February 28, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Now I see the conversation had already started

Posted by: sazzwho | February 28, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

ESPN could not afford Cherry every time ABC ,NBC ESPN is around they want Cherry on their show....when Cherry speaks hockey ppl listen ....IE right here LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry has forgotten so much about hockey at this point there's no actual record of him knowing much at all about it. This is the same guy who stated in all his wisdom that Ovechkin's game would "drop off" this season and he wouldn't put up numbers like he did last year. 2nd in points (Having played 2 less games), 1st in goals by quite a margin...if his grandfather had not been ill/passing early in the season and he didn't have as slow a start he would be running away with both. He still might hit 60 goals again this year considering his goal scoring pace the past 45 games or so.

I love hearing all the commentary about how Ovechkin will "never last" playing the style that he does. Out of him, Crosby, and Malkin who gets the Iron Man award? He's missed what? 1 game due to injury his entire career? Missed 2 games this year to visit his grandfather one last time before he passed. Ovie plays the game right, Crosby complains, dives, cries, and acts like no one can even brush him or it's somehow a "cheap shot".

/end rant

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907 - how many Stanley Cup rings does Don Cherry have, exactly?

I'm hoping you were being sarcastic, but it was hard to tell.

Posted by: writered21 | February 28, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:33 PM

They need a pathetic senile old bag to try and balance out the 99.9% of the hockey fans on the planet who thank God every day they get a chance to witness Alexander Ovechkin -- cherry calling for Ovie's head is pathetic, irresponsible and unprofessional in every way -- defending his babbling garbage is nonsense

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 28, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907, He knows hockey, I'll give him that. But the game has changed since he played & coached. For better or worse, hockey has become so much more than just 12 guys on a sheet of ice. I think it would behoove him to maybe broaden his mentality on non-North American players, especially everyone's favorite uber-marketable Russian.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Don Cherry can complain about celebrating all he wants. That is a preferance issue. But almost gleefully calling for someone to go after him and cut him in half is the pary that is disgusting. Seems like Cherry probably had no problem with Crosby's sneak attack or Witt's elbow the other night. That violent stuff is ok. But no celebrating is not. Also he doesn't complain about Mike Green celebrating like that because he is a Canadian I guess.

Posted by: sazzwho | February 28, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Someone, I forget who, wrote this some months back and it holds true today, "Don Cherry sucks at life." Beat it Pens fan.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Cherry yes does not have a stanley cup ring but does have 4 seasons with Boston making the playoffs every year with 2 years in the finals .....how many of you have done that?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I will never understand the people who don't like Ovie's celebrations. You either just don't like Ovie or you're a no fun person. How could anyone be angry about the way he celebrates? He celebrates because he has so much fun and he is so happy... we need more of that. It isn't about money or anything else with him, he just loves scoring, having fun and helping his team win, is that so wrong? This league would be awesome if everyone celebrated the way Ovie does. What does he want Ovie to do? Stand there with his arms up and go "yay!?" We should be praising Ovie for being so enthusiastic about the game of Hockey. Crazy Don Cherry. I want to know how he feels about NFL players and their celebrations. Okay, I'm gonna stop now, cause listening to Cherry is making me dumber.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

So who saw the Predators being up 5-0 on the Wings at the end of the first period? Conklin lets in 4 of 9, before being yanked.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Well I'mm willing to bet these Capitals and Oveckin will make the playoffs this year and then, hey they're halfway there aren't they? Beat it Pens fan.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is if you want to learn something about Hockey you go to Don Cherry's school of hockey ....If you want to learn how to fight you attend Semin's school of face slaping.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Nice win, Caps.

Take that, Semin bashers. (Considering how many fans keep bashing Semin even when he was getting a point a game during a comparatively down period in productivity.) I counted it up and have discovered that, out of 44 games this year, Semin has either had a goal or an assist in all but 8!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 28, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I'm so glad you're here to bottom line it for us. We are so lucky to have a real hockey mind like you to enlighten us. Please go back to Pensblog or anywhere else. Maybe up Cherry's five hole.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Semin only plays 30 games a year!!!!!!!!and only when he feels like it

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed more and more players celebrating ovie style (board jumps etc) but since ovie is taking cindy's shine he now has a problem with it.

Posted by: caese | February 28, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe Cherry would say that someone needs to go after Ovechkin, is he crazy? He clearly does not even appreciating the game of Hockey because Ovechkin is the best player in the league. And to say that someone should go after Ovechkin is shameful, what a disgusting human being he is, what the heck has Ovechkin ever done to him? Scumbag. Who made him freakin' judge anyway, no one cares if he likes it or not, afterall Ovechkin is a superstar and he is an frumpy old man who nobody gives a crap about.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

kevbnyc .....talking to you is like having a battle of witts with a unarmed man!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious as to why you chose 1907. Are you from Kenora or just a huge Art Ross fan?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Stanley,
How many rings do you have? Did/do you even play hockey? I guess you are here on this blog to say congrats to the Caps for beating Boston huh. If not, then being on another team's blog and talking trash because you have nothing better to do is the clinical definition of "pathetic".

Yeah, beat it Pens fans.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious, I've never heard that one before.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

He racks up a lot of points for only 30 games a year. But I guess when you can drill it from the redline and still score you can mail in a few games and still pick up points. I'm tempted to believe SC07 is Cherry himself posting. The "wisdom" just rings true through the words...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

All Cherry was saying is you dont show up the other team like that when you score ...HELLLO.. Have a little class like a Orr Yzerman even Gartner

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see if any of the blogs takes on Grapes for his xenophobic, ridiculous rant vs. Ovi and defending Crosby on Coaches Corner tonight on HNIC. Mirtle's been touting him for Hockey Hall of Fame, so who knows if he'll comment - could be the blogs are getting as bad as the MSM if they don't rise to Ovi's defense on this nonsense from a man whose shirt collars are stratospheric - what do you think - at least 4 inches high to mask the wattles?

Posted by: plinkwired | February 28, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

bernie I have played ,coached and even announced

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I think the other team can handle it. It ain't about them. He's happy for HIS team. It's not about showing anyone up. For years Russians were criticized for playing a clinical, passionless game. Well, now here's a non-Canadian showing them how to play and how to celebrate their own game.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Or like Sean Avery?
LOL...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@SC1907: You're talking about class in a discussion involving Crosby?

Guess he hasn't sucker-punched you in the jigglies yet.

Posted by: writered21 | February 28, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@StanleyCup07

Go home please and take Cherry's in between the lines xenophobic comments with you. The world is a big place - get used to it.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

The point is it's not showing up the other team. Most of the time it's him jumping into the boards to acknowledge the fans or jumping into his teammates for their huddle we do after EVERY goal no matter who scores. Ovechkin shows the same enthusiasm even when it's not himself scoring...it's pretty telling when the person jumping to congratulate Mike Green after setting the consecutive games with a goal streak and the guy trying to be the first one to congratulate Varlamov or Neuvirth after their first NHL wins is just a great team leader.

This is the same guy who would win a shootout but in his post game interview deflect all praise to the goaltending or the PK that killed a PP for the opposing team in overtime to get it to the shootout.

Cherry reeks of a weird kind of nationalistic jealousy and hateful pride. None of us complained when Malkin was on his knees doing a dance after scoring the first goal in a Pens/Caps game earlier this season. He just scored on a rocket, he should be happy. If we don't want to see him celebrate, we should stop him from scoring. THAT is the only bad thing about celebrating, the other team put one in your net, not that the guy who scored is excited and pumped up.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I am no Crosby ethier writered21 He has lot to learn too

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

+1 Dave

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Cindy's OWN team board jumping ovie style the game after his comments about ovie doing the same thing. I guess his teamates aren't siding with him on this one.

Posted by: caese | February 28, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Cup? You accused me of being witless, but there is not even a sentence in your most recent post. Had a few?

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907 is so full of it. Class and Sidney don't go together. That guy is the definition of classeless, all you have to do is go back to the time when he attack Brett McLean. What an angry little boy taking his anger out cause he can't control his temper.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Cup? You accused me of being witless, but there is not even a sentence sentence in your most recent post. Had a few?

sentence sentence....who has had a few!?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

HELP NEEDED!

Anyone know how I can get a live streaming feed for tomorrow's game?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Posted by: WCAPS1 | February 28, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Whatever.. I'm not even going to get mad over it. Don cherry is really idiotic and nothing is ever going to change... Ovechkin will still keep scoring and celebrating the way he does and no one will ever do anything about it, even if cherry doesn't like it.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

rachel...Have you been taking your medication? ...I never said Crosby was classy

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

SCup, if you had ever been here before, you would know that the 'sentence sentence' is a glitch that sometimes shows up on the blog. Not my typing or grammatical error. What's your excuse oh witty one?

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Done feeding that troll.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Played, coached, and announced at what level, pee wee? WOW! I really doubt it because if you did, then you would know why all the other analysts say Ovie celebrates out of passion for the game. You would also understand why Cherry is a tired, bitter old man that never won a Cup and is just jealous the hockey no longer fits to his antiquated ideas of direction.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

and here i thought you stuttered, stuttered

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, did you use a Sports Junkies-ism by describing Semin's goal as "silly"? If so, well played :)

Posted by: TheSkyIsntFalling | February 28, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Where is that "report abuse" thing? I want to block this idiot person.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I will leave you guys with this ...Who would win a fight between Semin and Tim Coulis?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

what abuse rachel?

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

SC1907,
You still have not told me where you played, coached, and announced? Again, pee wee? Is that the best you could do?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you higher than pee wee ...thats all i have to tell you

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl said:
"He makes me want to throw things and yell at small children."

davethecapsfan said:
"Don Cherry is a walking parrot...sure he knows a little about hockey, but even a broken clock tells time right twice a day."

And that is why Cherry is on TV. He riles up the natives.
He's old, dated, fiercely patriotic and a throw back to small town, Scotch-English toughness.
A lot of people dont like the celebration becuase the violent and thick, and ultra competitive, want the other team to be humble in every facet. And there are times I agree, that self-celebration is gratuitous. But Oviechkin isnt pretending to pull cell phones out of his pocket, or hiding one in the goal netting to call his mom with after scoring. In this last Boston game, he celebrated and I thought he had scored, but Flash had. The puck never got close to Ovechkin. Still, he celebrated his team, his team mate, his fans, his couch, all in one great outburst. Thats not ego, that's a lack of ego.
Something Don Cherry knows nothing about.
So like so many other times before, I say Cherry can go and stuff himself.

Posted by: oo7 | February 28, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow ...LEAFS WIN AGAIN!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I bet you're a wimp too. I think you are a creepy old man which is why I'm going to stop talkin' to you. And you sound extremely obnoxious as well.

BernieWolfeFan: SC1907, he probably made it all up.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

All - just off the press, Guerin traded to an "Eastern team" that's not NJ or Boston. Suggestion that Montreal or Washington are the frontrunners. Seems more like an NYR move to me, but guess we'll know soon enough

Anybody know anything more?

Posted by: rnscaps | February 28, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

You can't tell us cause you made it all up! It's time for you to leave, dude, get outta here.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

@SC07
Ahhh...the true Canuck comes out in you...no wonder you don't like Ovie and cherish that moron Cherry.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

your choice rachel....does that mean im off your xmas list too?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Well now, that shut you up quick didn't it? Yeah, why don't you go ahead and leave us because we have hockey to "analyze, comment on and even challenge".

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Dang it, canes lost! I don't want to give any chance to the stupid pens!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

everybody stop talking to this tool stanleycup1907

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

It's been a long time since the Rangers scored 6 goals! wow.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

truth hurts eh! stevo...it kills me to hear you guys pat yourself on the back all the time ...BRB Cherry is on again

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd laugh if Carolina held on to grab the last playoff spot (assuming the Kitties continue to play well). I wonder how people would spin the whole "The Capitals only get some many points because the SouthLeast sucks so bad" excuse. Yes, such an awful division they have three playoff teams.

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 28, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@steveo

Thanks dude...gotta ring me in sometimes dealing with these tools like SC

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry's brain:
Canadians invented hockey
Russians can't fight
Russians have no passion
The NHL is Canada's stage to the universe and needs a Canadian front and center

Ovi is to Don Cherry as Obama is to Osama.

He is a direct challenge to everything Don preaches about how the hockey universe spins.
....

Did anyone see a month or so ago when he featured Semin's fight?

They showed a blip of the heat/high point of Semin's fight. They cut back to Cherry and he says "Russians fighting."
Then the move on to another subject.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 28, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

don cherry is such a pice of sh*t

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

i dont care what theo says, he shouldve not let that Chara goal in.

semin OT goal is still the biggest LOL since Patrik Stephan missed an open net and Hemsky came back and scored with 5 secs left.

and here is the doozie:
I have heard from a few reliable sources that Geurin is coming to......US! thoughts?

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Cherry is insane! Completly making a fool of himself. Contradicting himself and got called on it. Dude...sad to see someone go senile.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

pistons are packed all the time - don cherry

idiot

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

so according to don "i'm a piece of garbage" cherry, the red wings should trade in their cups for bob probert and joey kocur

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Cherry ragging on the Wings now claiming they hit people from behind but they're not aggressive because they're European. He doesn't even remember how he starts talking about a topic.

How can he be mad at Europeans for not hitting but pick out Ovechkin to hate on?

Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

who cares about cherry, read my comment about Guerin and discuss.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

@steveo

even better

"lions are packed all the time"...ROFL. Guess an 0-16 packs the house

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216: I would ADORE playing the Pens in the first round of the playoffs. Positively ADORE it.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 28, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

nice fake tan cherry, if he got crosby's lipstick he could complete the full transition

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised if the caps rented guerin for net presence. wouldn't be terrible, would it?

Posted by: oo7 | February 28, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

rnscaps, not sure. Guerin took warm-ups, but was a healthy scratch for the game. Will be interesting to see. I definitely had nightmares all last night that GMGM traded Feds & Backs. The BF said I woke up at one point begging GMGM not to trade Bradley.

Haha, Cherry is tripping me out now. God, I love Ron. He puts up with him. I'd have hit him years ago.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Lions are packed. Didn't they have games blacked out locally for not selling out? 0-16 packed. Are you kidding me?

It's like watching a train wreck. You can't look away but you're shaking your head dumbfounded.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

@richmond

Dont want to read too much into it until its official...after all we are at the height of silly season on moves.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@kitty

Amen, been saying all along. 1st round Pens...2nd round Flyers, conf finals Boston.

Do it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil: ...hmmm. Guerin? Who else sits and what line do we disrupt? I don't think we need any real changes to our forward lines, and any changes we make now could be disruptive. It's on the blueline that I'd be looking for a change.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 28, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Folks,

SC07 is a tool and a troll. Please see that he is just baiting you. He has no experience, but wants to hint that he does, and it IS ABOVE PEEWEE! Wow. Nothing there, but his own dreams.

Cherry is a senile old man that provides shtick to a certain audience that feels better listening to his outmoded ideas. No different than the pandering that Rush Limbaugh provides to people that do not want to have their views challenged in the media.

Recognize the trolls like SC07 and don't let them get to you.

Posted by: crooks_c | February 28, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

And who goes to the Island?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

What would it take to get Guerin?

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

i know its all rumors til its official, but it seems all signs are pointing to Washington. I know he is going to an East team at least.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Davethecapsfan

Couldn't have said it any better!

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea, but like i said during the game, it was reported he waivered his NTC earlier today.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

SC1907,
Didn't you say you were going to leave us? But then again, your sad @$$ does not have the class or balls to say just where all this hockey knowledge comes from. I guess you realize this is where grown ups talk about hockey huh?

Again, beat it. Hannah Montana is on and your missing it.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Fehr and Mo for Guerin?

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

General question:

I have yet to try www.hockeystreams.com but have heard a few good things. Is it reliable? I will be traveling and want to ensure I can catch the games (have heard the adt.com feed can be inviting viruses.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

giving up fehr for a rental.

i dont like the sound of that.

honestly, its probably a combo of picks. geurin's stock isnt too high.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, GMGM convinced Columbus to take Teddy Roth in exchange for Sergei Freaking Fedorov last year :) Guerin for some other no-name, prospect-less college kid?

(yeah, unlikely, I know)

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 28, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll guess guerin for nylander. get. a rent, lose the salary, open up more for D.

Posted by: oo7 | February 28, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not advocating moving Fehr, I'm just asking. Draft picks? I could live with that.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Nylander for Guerin? GMGM is the man if he swings that.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 28, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

If we get guerin for nylander that would be amazing. I could live with draft picks opposed to talent on the roster already.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

While I'd be okay with moving Nyls, I don't see it happening. Its not like they're looking for a missing piece to go on a long playoff run. They need prospects & picks to go with their Tavares pick. Lets face it, the Islanders are struggling with the decision making on a more basic level. If Guerin is coming here, I hope GMGM hoodwinked Snow & Wang something fierce.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Its gotta be tough for Nyls. To hear rumors and (be asked???) to waive your NTC - say no and maybe be ostracized by teammates (although I don't think this group of guys would do that), say yes and go to team that is rebuilding and not be apart of team on the rise and not to mention obvious family needs. Tough but when you are making 4.875 mil...goes with the territory.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Beat cha to it jmu_capsgirl! lol! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Uh, sorry Rachel. I obviously need to work on my reading skills! Or stop trying to multi-task school & fun!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay, that little kid singing the national anthem in Edmonton is sort of adorable.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm reading their comments and I found a stupid comment. Guerin & a 2nd rounder for Semin, heck NO! crazy!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

There's no way we'll trade Semin. Bank on it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

They also mention a second and Osala for Guerin. Not sure that's worth it. Big O straight up maybe, or a pick straight up, but not both. And I like Big O, so I'm hoping not.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Arnott with the hat trick. Preds now up 8-0 on Detroit.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Still cool to see Brunette with the "C".

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

Where did you see Osala mentioned? I agree with you...him AND a pick=too much.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

Agree...always like Brunette and figured he would be around awhile.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

ralCapsFan, One of the comments on "Point Blank" mentioned him.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

After the game Semin had today, anyone with 2 eyes and 2 brain cells can clearly see how valuable he is to this team -- he is an ELITE scoring talent, one of the most productive scorers in the league, he's only 24, a core Cap, has great chemistry with the rest of the time, and is bois with Ovie, trading him would be absolutely nuts ...

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 28, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah found the reliable source.Hockeybuzz.com.

Yeah real reliable source there

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | February 28, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Rinne just shut out the Wings. Predators win 8-0.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Steve downie strikes again at end of Bears game tonight during a faceoff he slashed the linesman with intent to injure.

Posted by: powerplay | February 28, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

what the hell is a reliable source to a rumor? i said all signs point to Washington, and its found on numerous rumor pages besides hockeybuzz.com

is it true? who knows, but geurin has already waivered his NTC. he's going somewhere.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

having islanders scouts at our game surely must not mean anything either.

call me out more.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I doubt nyls would say yes to Fantasy Island.
Wang just points at Snow and says "De plan! De plan."

Posted by: oo7 | February 28, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl, you're dreaming about the trade deadline? That's...impressive.

I keep thinking about which prospects I would hate to lose. Basically, Alzner and teh goalies.

Posted by: jen-s | February 28, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't go much more than a 2nd round pick for Guerin, but I really don't think he's coming to us. According to TSN it's probably not Boston, either, though they don't say why. Anyway, he has a NTC though why anyone would want to stay on the island is beyond me.

As for Cherry, I kind of like him in a way. I think he's a hoot for complaining about celebrations wearing the suits he does. But he's fiercely Canadian and tries to pump up their self-image. I don't find anything wrong with that. We had a President that did that (Reagan). Just laugh at him when he's silly, and accept that he knows a lot about hockey. Sometimes the two interfer with eachother.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to the Hershey/Norfolk game tonight and they said Beagle was called up before the game. Anyone know why?

Posted by: overhead | February 28, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Did Fehr finish the game after his collision with the boards?

I'm not sure about Guerin. The Caps need D. I think GMGM said as much this past week. I don't think we need another forward, unless it's to free up a forward for a later trade.

TSN does say that Morrisonn is available.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree with TerpsRule on Semin.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 28, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@ralCapsFan,

Thanks,

Gotta work and the NHL gig won't work...$10/month...less than the price of a premium margharita! Go figure.

Thanks again.

Posted by: WCAPS1 | February 28, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

The Caps may be in Boston's heads but I have to say that the Flyers are in the Caps heads. And anyone watching Chara play can see why he should be the Norris winner. Green is an exciting offensive defenseman, but Chara provides both dominating defense AND offensive skills.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 1, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

"The Caps may be in Boston's heads but I have to say that the Flyers are in the Caps heads."

--Oh please, enough already. The Caps this season and last are 6-8 against the Flyers. Disappointing, but hardly dominating. And many of those games could have gone either way. I'm tired of people talking like the Flyers have beaten the Caps 9 in a row or something.

The Flyers are good, but somehow despite their dominance and mastery, they've managed to lose 27 games this year. Amazing!

Posted by: jollyroger2 | March 1, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

If sc1907 is actually cherry in disguise it would at least explain his handle. 1907 would be his birthdate.

Cherry is a senile old fool. We is the Washington area have a similar guy in Sam Huff. We forgive his often nonsensical comments because he is our senile old fool.

Lets just treat cherry as we would "old uncle charlie" at family renunions at just try to make sure he doesn't wander off and get lost or hurt himself.

Posted by: mikegarcia | March 1, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse