Caps 4, Leafs 1

Brooks Laich got back to his roots against Toronto tonight, scoring two goals from his seemingly natural spot atop the crease. They might not make any highlight reels or top-10 lists, but they definitely harken back to one of the center's quotes from last season. So why not dust off the old comment....

"If you want money, go to the bank. If you want bread, go to the bakery. If you want goals, go to the net," Laich said on March 14 after a 4-1 win over Atlanta, which was his last two-goal game.

*Laich earned the hard hat for the team-leading, third time this season and now has five goals in the past 8 games. About three weeks ago Laich had a conversation with Coach Bruce Boudreau, who told him to simplify his game.

"He was trying to deke everybody," Boudreau said. "He was trying to be too cute. He's such a good skater, he's fearless and he's got such a good shot. Why not use his best attributes? Shoot the puck and go to the net."

On to the rest of the post-game notes and quotes.

*Alex Ovechkin said he looked to pass the puck to Laich as the two broke toward the Leafs' empty net in the waning seconds of the period but that Toronto defenseman Tomas Kaberle blocked the play. Laich didn't seem too concerned about missing out on his first-ever hat trick though.

"It would have been nice to get that one but it wasn't a clear cut play and at the time the game was still in question," Laich said. "We got back to the bench and he said sorry. I told him: 'Don't worry about it the game is more important.'"

*Jose Theodore won his third straight start against the Leafs, marking the first time he's won three in a row this season.

*But here's the impressive stat: Theodore has stopped 64 of 68 shots since being pulled in the first period against the Rangers, so from the second period in New York through tonight, good for a .941 save percentage during that stretch.

"It's been a couple of games I've been feeling pretty good," Theodore said. "It's fun to get a couple starts in a row. It's easier for a goalie to get on a roll when you do play a lot....I think I always say the best way to get in a groove is to play even when things aren't going well."

*Word on Matt Bradley is that he's "ok" after going head first into the boards in the third period, but no one seemed very sure of his status. We'll have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

*Mike Green's shoulder passed several tests "with flying colors" according to Boudreau, who added that the defenseman was being "too cute." Green said after the game he was feeling good.

*The Caps are now 15-1-1 at Verizon Center and they hold a 10-point lead in the Southeast Division, their largest lead since March 30, 2001.

*With Laich's power play goal the Caps are 15 for 53 with the man advantage in their past nine games for a 28.3 percent success rate during that stretch.

*Milan Jurcina now has four assists and two goals and is a plus-3 in December. He had three points in October and November combined.

*Ovechkin has 12 goals in December and has recorded 44 points in his last 28 games (23 goals, 21 assists).

By Katie Carrera  |  December 28, 2008; 11:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gartner Tribute
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Bradley looked shaky, glad to hear he is "OK". I hope he really is.

Posted by: uncatim | December 28, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

How good has Alzner been for Juice? Milan still pastes guys to the boards but he's getting into the O a bit too. If Schultz and Green end up clicking (I'm not quite sold yet), add Poti back in and this is the best I have felt about our D in a while.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: NathanD207 | December 28, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Very glad to hear Ovi apologized to Laich after that empty netter. Everyone in the building wanted him to pass it to Brooks, but if they both say there was no play, that makes me feel better.

Turned out to be a good game, though took a while to get going. Caps have been scoring when it matters the past few weeks - maybe not making the flashy highlight-reel goals (Ovi's Friday tally excepted), but finding ways to score when the games are tight. This is the sign of a strong team, hope they can keep it up. Would love to have Semin and Fedorov back though...

Posted by: katzistan | December 28, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, from where I was sitting, it looked like a defender was between Ovi and Laich, and when I watched the highlight reel waiting for this to come up, it was pretty clear that the Leafs' #15 (Tomas Kaberle) was in between them and could have intercepted the puck... yeah. But I'm glad Ovi apologized anyway, even if Laich wasn't upset. It just proves to me - again - that Ovi is a hell of a classy guy. :-)

Hopefully Bradley really is OK - that looked rough, and he got up shaky.

Really happy with Theodore for the last few games. That save percentage is way better than it was. Good to see Laich in the hard hat. He deserved it!

Posted by: irockthered | December 28, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN - Pierre LeBrun:
Caps center Michael Nylander has been on the trade block almost all season, but word out of Washington is that suddenly the team isn't quite as keen to move him. He still could very well be moved before the March 4 trade deadline, but the sense is that Caps GM George McPhee isn't as sold on it as he was before. A big reason is that the Caps are playing so well, so why mess with a good thing? Caps coach Bruce Boudreau met with Nylander recently to let him know as much. Not by coincidence, Nylander has played a lot better since then. Despite all that, we still think if a team were to call with the right offer, the Caps would listen.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 28, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are the only Washington pro team that appears to be the real deal! They are well coached with a deep roster and a good management team...The Skins, Wiz and the Nats need to observe and take notes of a good quality product! Go Caps!

Posted by: JCB9 | December 28, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Good game tonight, and that 10 point lead is awesome. I still think we need to stop looking down and start looking up and aiming to catch Boston :)

Quick hits from tonight's game:

- I didn't think there was a play either from where I was sitting. Ovi was looking, and I think it's classy of him to apologize. Dude on the Metro said that Laich was open and that Ovi was being greedy and was padding his standings by keeping it for himself. I'm glad to have the players confirm that the dude was full of crap and doesn't know Ovi besides.
- Diving penalties, lolwhut? Theodore slipped and fell.
- Slow start but Laich got things going. Laich = AMAZING tonight.
- Collins, not so much. He did a couple of really, really dumb things tonight, although the interference call on him was weak IMO.
- Bradley did NOT look good coming off the ice, and the crowd was slow to respond to "Unleash the Fury" because of it, I think.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 28, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Katie, I'm assuming you're doing pinch-hitting duty for Tarik for the blog and the dead tree editions?

Posted by: Section117 | December 28, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and one more - Theodore was solid again tonight. Here's hoping he can keep it going.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 28, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Great game! Hope Matt is okay. Did anyone see what happened at the end of the second period? Looked like Steckel ? or someone got a high stick or something. Did not see what happened but saw someone grabbing their face and Ovi was talking to the refs.

Posted by: Kim-3 | December 28, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Also, Clark is looking pretty good.

Posted by: Kim-3 | December 28, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

It was Steckel, but I only saw the skating to the bench aftermath.

Posted by: Section117 | December 28, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz,

Dude on the metro was definitely full of crap, most people who even try to follow the caps know how much of a team player Ovie is.

And did anyone read the recent interview with Kozlov, where he said officials tend to call things for Toronto, and you just have to deal with it? Tonight proved him 100% right. Nothing heinous, but when it was debatable, it went to the Leafs.

Posted by: jec4p | December 28, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Another great game tonight!

TARIK...please tell us who we need to protest or what we need to do to get the news media in this city to finally respect the Capitals and do some reporting on them. I am tired of hearing about the horrible teams in DC over the CAPS coverage. I think the first channel, news outlet to start covering the CAPS with some detail and putting them where they belong in the coverage will be rewarded by the loyal fans! Sometimes I think you are the only journalist in DC who even knows who the CAPS are....and of course Katie! Here's to dreaming. Lets go CAPS!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | December 29, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Why should Ovie apologize? He had to make the right decision quickly. He is the last person on earth to hoard the puck. Just a few games back (against the Islanders, I believe) Nick Backstrom scored an empty netter on a pass from Ovechkin. I remember how impressed even the sports announcers were because Ovie chose to pass when he could have scored the goal himself.

Posted by: caraveli | December 29, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

We're getting more and more news, especially on the national front. Don't worry, the post will switch into fairweather-outlet coverage once the playoffs start :)

My only faux gripe is that the attention we're getting nationally should recognize our continually dire injury situation --someone pull the man games lost / number of players on a team to wear that team's sweater comparison for the top 3 teams in the east and west and see how it matches up with us. And then add in our goaltending situation (which is a net neutral right now)-- and it's amazing that we are #2 in the east. An ordinary team in these circumstances is scraping for a 7/8 seed let alone even in the hunt.

Posted by: TheGJ | December 29, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, I think the number I overheard last night on NHL was around 180, which Dace Reid said was 2nd in the East (the Islanders were first at over 200).

Posted by: Section117 | December 29, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

or Dave Reid. Idiot.

Posted by: Section117 | December 29, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I agree about our improbable achievement in the face of so many injuries and uneven goal-tending ("it's amazing that we are #2 in the east...") In fact we are also #4 in the League. I never thought I'd live to see this. In the last 2-3 years, I would be happy whenever we were 3d or 4th from the bottom. I thought that at least someone was worse than us. And now to be among the top 4?

Posted by: caraveli | December 29, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? The Washington Post coverage of the Capitals sucks!!!
I counted 10 articles (or links to them) relating to one of the worst teams in the NFL, the Redskins, followed by 6 more nfl articles, before finding one about the CAPS, the only winning team on this town, one of the best team in the NHL. All this on a day when the Caps win and the sorry Redskins loses to another bottom-of-the-league team.
Good grief. Tomorrow, most likely the talk on the sports waves will be about the crummy Skins with little, if any, reporting about the CAPS. AND if that is not maddening enough, they will be saying "everyone" is talking about the Redskins. By "everyone" these idiots are unwittingly referring to themselves.

Posted by: opita | December 29, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey whose our new goalie #60 ,he looked great tonight.And he has the same last name as our former goalie hmmmm. All kidding aside great game tonight Jose.

Posted by: caese | December 29, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Theo is safe for atleast one more game. I think he is finding is groove a little bit.Nice to have some seperation from Carolina/Flordia. I am tired of hearing the B's anouncer's and Milbury saying how good the B's are. Here is to catching the B's!!!!!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 29, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

am from montreal and have been a fan of jose no matter wat from his ups and downs to his topss and now i am happy to say that he is getting rite back to where he belongs yes he has had tough games hier in washington but it takes time to stellel in wit anew team its good to see he is getting there and that is jose he statrs to pick it up a notch rite near teh new years and i am happy to say that he will becoem an MVP golaie again great game and as for ovie he speeks for him self man too good and theo is rite where he needs to be picking it up Lets go caps
and lets go theo ****

Posted by: rayray60 | December 29, 2008 1:55 AM | Report abuse

BTW Capsfannmiss lol hwo can u say he is safe for one more game ??? how do u no that lol its funny how u can say that jsu leik that how could u lose hope in ur own goalie? :S ur susposed to help him and bring him up nah down man that si teh worst thing to do ba i can asure u that he iwll be numebr oen again and this is jsu teh begining of him playing good an dgetting time to play man jus to letu no lol :P cues ur jus putting him down ma friend

Posted by: rayray60 | December 29, 2008 1:59 AM | Report abuse

(1)theo=good again tonight, no complaints
(2)there was no passing lane between ovie and brooks on the empty netter. zero. ovie made the right play. but it was definitely cool of him to apologize anyway.
(3)good to see brooks getting back to the old formula (that works)
(4)let's catch boston-- go for #1 in the east

Posted by: chevychase1 | December 29, 2008 3:37 AM | Report abuse

It was good to see Clark playing with a little "Edge" for a change. It's about time. I think it's safe to say those fifty (50) goals he scored in 05 - o6, and 06 - 07 were purely the benefit of playing Rw. for the best player ( Ovechkin ) on the planet. If he gets fifteen ( 15 )this year, and continues playing with that edge, I'll be more than satisfied.
Which leads me to my assessment of Victor Kozlov. I absolutely CAN'T STAND THE GUY. If he's not the biggest wusp in the league, I don't know who is. In my book, he's your garden variety, yellow streak down his back, coward! Plain and simple. Most here seem willing to make excuses for his ineptness and lack of gumption. I will not! He's a disgrace!! Let's see. How many years has he been to the Playoffs? And, STILL HAS YET TO SCORE A GOAL!! Not one! Ha! I wonder why. Because the intensity gets wratcheted up several notches come Playoff time. That's why. The Playoffs truly seperate the chaff from the wheat. The MEN, from the little boys. No question. It's my fervent hope that George McPhee will have the common sense to get rid of the bum BEFORE the playoffs this year. But, honestly I'd probably fall over from shock if he did. So prepare yourselves for some more 4 on five ( come playoff time ) when Kozlov is on the ice. He should truly be in the circus, considering how well the clown disappears.
The bottom line is that the regular season and the playoffs are two differet breed of cats. Then, only the strong survive.

Posted by: Puckguru | December 29, 2008 5:16 AM | Report abuse

@Puckguru

I F-ing agree!!!
Kozzy Bear is such a waste of a 6'5" frame. I have been withholding my dislike for him only because we are winning and he has been playing well. However, there were times last night where he could make plays with his body and he refuses to do it.

There was a shot on Theo and instead of clearing a Maple Leaf out of the side of the crease area, he decided to watch him take perfect position for any type of rebound. I screamed. Loud.

Skilled player, no doubt, but christ almighty get an f-ing mean streak.

I'm sure I will be yelling at him again in the playoffs. Fehr has more PLAYOFF goals than Kozlov.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Maybe now that those sorry,no account, professional football team(HA!) that is run by a pretzel maker has performed their annual "we are a super bowl contender until the season starts"swoon and then prove that they are nothing more than a bunch of overpaid goofballs led by their Miami Hurricane prima-donnas season has ended maybe the Washington Post will actually print some of Tarik's work instead of burying it in the internet. But, no more Wizards,Dannyskins,and every college team within 300 miles of Washington will get the coverage instead of the only pro team in town and the leagues MVP. Get with it.

Posted by: ergoroc | December 29, 2008 6:24 AM | Report abuse

@CapsSkins: I almost spilled my coffee on Saturday morning because one of the DC Channels NBC-4 if I remember correctly actually showed all of the highlights from Friday night's game.

@ All Caps fans: We really need to take a step back and just understand just how lucky we are to be able to watch Ovechkin play. I cannot believe I have Season tickets to a team that features the most exciting athlete on the planet. He has willed this team to wins in 3 consecutive games. He did it in New York, with his highlight reel goal against Buffalo, and with his goal last night. His first goal, and eventual game winner started when he came in on the forecheck with his hair on fire. It caused a horrible breakout by the Leafs that was immediately turned back up ice by Jurcina to Ovechkin who somehow found the back of the net again. The guy is amazing and I just feel privaledged to be able to watch him play. He's the player that every other team wishes they had.

This team is slowly getting healthy, the right way, by waiting this time. In addition to that Theodore is truly starting to play some good hockey by making the routine save along with the good save here and there. The addition of Feds and Semin is really all this team needs, and then, it might not even be fair to the rest of the NHL. Here's to the leader of the Southeast grabbing ahold of 2nd in the conference and gunning for the Bruins who will be caught because their goaltending cannot keep winning 2-1 and 1-0 games, the entire team is playing way over their heads.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

@Puckguru: Here you are again, even with a win, and Kozlov playing great hockey, finding a way to jump on the GMGM. Just because you live in the area, I'm assuming you do, you don't have to watch the Capitals. If it sickens you to watch Kozlov play, DON'T. It is absolutely true that Kozlov hasn't scored a goal in the playoffs, it's December, we'll worry about that when the time comes. The fact is, right now, Kozlov is coming through for us. The problem with you puckguru is if it wasn't Kozlov it would be another player so take your unnecessary negative comments elsewhere.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

Honestly... For me, Puckguru is no more annoying or not annoying than the people who just say "Go Caps", or the people who try to pretend they know hockey, or worry warts and whiners, or the people who post "First", or trolls, or cheef...

My point is this isn't your blog or mine, its ours, warts and all. If you don't want to read Puckguru's post you have a choice too.

Not trying to be a d!ck, just being honest.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

@ rayray60

I always have supported Theo. Alot of other "fans" put him under the gun from game to game. I was just being a Smarta$$ saying he is atleast safe for one more game.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 29, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon: You, Cheef, and Puckguru and take your ball and go home. Not trying to be a D...

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

Not sure what that meant, but I'll take it as an attempt to insult me...

Two hoots...

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon: Seriously though, bloggers like Puckguru come and complain about something constantly. Last night was a solid win. Theo played well, Kozlov played well, and it was a tight checking game. Sure Green and Schultz looked a little rough but they've been out for a while. All in all a good game and good win. So why the constant negativity?

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I could write a 300 page dissertation on why people say what they say about the Caps. Everyone has their own personality and it comes across in this blog. Puckguru is just a negative person, so is cheef, so is wendel.

You are not going to change them, neither am I. Trying to do so is futile.

My philosophy is to accept that you aren't going to agree with everything in here, pick your battles. Battling Puckguru, cheef and wendel is a losing proposition.

You have the ability to ignore them, which is your best weapon.

I happen to agree with Puckguru about Kozlov which is the only reason why I responded to his post.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: I don't know, I thought we came out pretty slow and got better as the game wore on. Like 117 says, I wonder how much of that was sitting out there on that bench during the retirement ceremony getting cold.

Theodore had another solid game. Go him and here's to him having many more of those! I don't like that he's still stretching at every stop in play, though. Am I the only one bothered by that?

As for JSchon and the worrywarts and whiners - if me fussing about effort before every game gets us W's (and I have yet to see evidence to the contrary) then I'm going to keep doing it and anyone who doesn't like it ... well, tough. :)

Anyone else think Clark looks better since coming back? He looks more visible and seems more useful to me out there. Maybe it's me.

I also noticed that the VC started out way too warm and got chillier as the evening wore on.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Re: Kozlov-

He definitely needs to throw his weight around more. He's a big guy, and could do some damage if he wanted. But I'm not sure he is that type of player. He does great things on the ice for us, and like someone else said (forget who), lets wait until the playoffs to worry about that aspect of his game.

On another note, did anyone else notice Backstrom getting a bit more physical last nite? One time in particular, I saw him hit (or attempt to hit) a Maple Leaf into the boards. Perhaps he was just off balance- who knows. But it sure did look like a hit to me. AND- he attempted not 1, but 2 slapshots last nite. Loved it.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 29, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1:
I guess some people see a glass as 10% empty while others see it as 90% full.

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | December 29, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Why is Kozlov being singled out now? He had played what is probably some of his best hockey for the Caps as of late, and has recently tallied quite a few points. So what if he has not scored in the playoffs - a lot of our guys have not. That has nothing to do with what will happen THIS (post-)season. Besides, my understanding is that Kozzie brings a lot to the team off the ice and in the locker room. Everyone can't be an Ovie or a Semin or a Backs - it takes all sorts to make up a winning team. Man, if I had a $1 for every time someone came on here to find SOMETHING to complain about after the Caps won a game, I would surely have enough $$ to pay for my Caps tix!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Joe:
Amen!! BTW, which one are you?!? ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Boo:
I'll send you a dollar if you take me off Booprobation.

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | December 29, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

@kittypaws

You complaining and whining is working just fine. I had blasphemous prayers last season that worked late in the season... I'm so happy I haven't had to resort to those measures this year.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Hmm ... tempting ... but you can't buy your way out!! :-P

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Boo, I'm more like the glass is 98% full nowadays!

Posted by: rw-c | December 29, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:
You are going to have to bring them back at some point - for a big game, for the playoffs, for something. If nothing else, we need them for the entertainment value!! :-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Joe:
Even with Booprobation?!? Impressive!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Boo...

Name the Capitals forwards that have never scored a playoff goal.

I'm waiting...

Tick tock...

BTW, Wade Redden is not a S@H defensemen.

Posted by: JSchon | December 29, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon: I don't happen to think I'm being whiny, but okay.

@Boo: Yeah, everyone's going to find somethingto complain a bout no matter what. It's human nature. Still, I think Kozlov is the wrong target if someone wants a player to complain about from last night. Someone tell me again why we sent Sloan down and kept Collins?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

So during warmups, Laich is fishing out pucks from the goal, and Brashear shoots a puck right at his arse. Nothing hard, just playful. Laich doesn't see who does it, but he looks up, and then shakes his head in one of those "fricken idiot" moments.

Anyway, a funny thing to forget about the first period and change of the game last night.

Posted by: Section117 | December 29, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz: I have noticed JT stretching but I can't remember which game he started to do that. Since there have not been any complaints regarding his hip since his return, maybe it has become a superstition stretch. Perhaps he started that after returning in the 2nd period of the New York game, and since then he has played well so he continues to do it.

Speaking of superstitions does anyone else enjoy watching Alzer get ready for a period? He lifts his feet (I'm sure a specific amount of times) then he does that elbow tap thing. It was kind of funny because Jurcina was coming up to him in the middle of the ritual and Alzner would ignore him until he was finished.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@117: Heh! I didn't see that, I was shepherding friend's kid and her friend last night. (Long story.)

And come to think of it, I think I know why Sloan was sent down instead of Collins. We know that Mo really likes working with Collins and they're a pretty solid pairing. With Poti out and Mo in, and Green and Schultz coming back, Sloan is the odd man out there.

Pity. I happen to like Sloan. But that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes, I guess.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 29, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:
See, now you're going to force me to start digging up stats, and I just don't have the time or the inclination to do that. Regardless, even if you are right (despite the fact that I did not specify forwards), the rest of my post still stands. Speaking of stats, I have not seen the stat which proves that Kozzie has not scored in post-season - I am just taking that comment at face value.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 29, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I don't care how people are playing. This is the whole package and you are only as good as the worst player. Right now, we are winning... so, what does it matter?

One game at a time... get your wins and then prepare for the next game.

I'm a bit nervous when Poti and Erskine come back - where does that leave Alzner? I am a huge fan of him and I think he should stay... but where does that leave him when the others come back?

RE: Empty netter
I am a big fan of Ovechkin and Laich and I do believe Ovechkin could have passed it to Laich as Ovechkin can do a lot of things with the puck. However, I am glad Ovechkin go the goal. Laich isn't going to win any trophies, (maybe the one of a defensive forward) but Ovechkin will. Every time there is an empty net, I yell out - Pad the Stats... that's all that is. I'm glad Alex got the goal... the more he scores, the more he scores and the more the team wins.

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

New Post - Morning Reading List

Posted by: _828 | December 29, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Re: Kozlov's stats, I'll save you the trouble:

Posted by: Section117 | December 29, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I am in the Kozzie is good camp. He may have a history of disappearing in the playoffs, but right now he is playing great. I want to believe that history is just that and that he will show up when it counts in the playoffs. That is a long way away and right now he can definitely help us as we pursue Boston.

Posted by: _Mark | December 29, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Didn't like the Kozlov signing then, but I respect the contribution he's made to the team and to the Russian development. That said, he shouldn't be resigned. If he is, anything more than $3m per is overpaying.

Posted by: Section117 | December 29, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Re Kozlov:
Recently Kozlov has played well. Some people are hitters, some aren't. As long as he basically does his job I'm not going to complain. He is what he is. He will however have to find a way to contribute in the playoffs.

Re Theodore:
Currently, Theodore is playing well. In fact he's playing well enough that I didn't call him Threeormore. He's earned it. I hope he continues to play at the current or a higher level, and that he does it consistently.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | December 29, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

RE: Kozlov
I love the way he's been playing lately. I can't help but wonder what it would be if he threw around his weight a bit more, saw it in one game a few weeks back - looked good. I like him on this team either way, if he could ratchet up the physical play a bit it would be a great compliment to his skills.

Posted by: theshawn | December 29, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse