Caps 4, Panthers 1

The Caps snapped a three-game losing streak with a thorough 4-1 win tonight over the Panthers. But the story, once again, was the loss of key players to injury.

Already without Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green and Jeff Schultz went down with upper- and lower-body injuries, respectively. Both are questionable for tomorrow's rematch between the Southeast Division rivals at Verizon Center.

Something else to keep an eye on is the status of defenseman Shaone Morrisonn. It's unclear whether he'll be suspended, but Coach Bruce Boudreau was obviously concerned that he might not be able to suit up tomorrow.

If I hear anything tonight, I'll post an update. But I'm hearing word might not come down from the league until tomorrow morning.

Anyway, check out my gamer here and come back for some notes and quotes from a weird night in South Florida.

*Jose Theodore bounced back tonight with an outstanding effort against a Panthers team that had won three in a row.

"Jose was superb, especially in the first five minutes of the game when they came right at us," Boudreau said. "He did a great job holding the fort until we got a goal or two."

Theodore said he attempted to slow down the game by freezing the puck as often as possible in the third period in an attempt to help his shorthanded teammates. It almost backfired when he unintentionally gloved a puck to a Panthers forward late. Nothing, however, came of the chance. And it was likely his only mistake in an impressive, 28-save performance.

Theodore said he didn't know who is playing in goal tomorrow, but added, "I feel good."

"We were very disciplined in the first two periods," Theodore said of his team's penalty-less first two periods. "It was a really solid game for everybody. The PK, the five minutes we killed, I think I had one shot."

*Boudreau also praised defenseman Brian Pothier, who scored his first goal of the season and was solid defensively in skating a whopping 25:20. Because of all of the injuries, Pothier even had to skate on the penalty kill for the first time all season.

"That game was crazy; guys were just leaving the bench left and right," Pothier said. "We were a desperate group, a ragtag group."

*Speaking of the penalty kill, it was as good as the Panthers' power play was bad. The unit surrendered a power-play goal in the third period to Nathan Horton, but it kept Florida at bay on Shaone Morrisonn's five-minute major late.

*Discipline-wise, neither team spent a lot of time in the box. The Panthers took two penalties and the Caps took three -- but none until 9:27 of the third period when Brendan Morrison was whistled for interference.

"I don't think mine was a penalty, but they called it a penalty," said Morrison, who played the point on the power play for the first time since his days in Vancouver. "So I can't sit here and say it was a dumb penalty. But it gave them a lot of momentum and they scored. Then they got the five-minute power play right after that and our PK stepped up huge and Theo was great."

*Check back tomorrow for an update on the injured players. If Green, Schultz and Morrisonn are all out, things could get interesting.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 6, 2009; 11:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Updates on Green, Schultz and Morrisonn
Next: Ovechkin on IR; Green, Schultz game-time decisions

Comments

Know who broke our home winning streak last year? the prancers.

Know whose FACE we broke tonight? the prancers.

Payback. That's what's up.

About the blueline, I'm kind of excited. I see this as an opportunity to for everybody to start getting responsible, and maybe this group of OFFENSEmen can finally get comfy playing conservative positional defense.

Posted by: large23220 | November 7, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

bring up alzner? or are we still restrained by a cap?

Posted by: capsfan387 | November 7, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

If they're just calling up a D for a game if Shaone gets suspended, my bet's on Sean Collins. The cheap, bland choice. :)

But man. Ovy, Fehr, Gordon, Green, Schultz, possibly Shaone M. suspended. I never thought the Caps would get more injuries than the Wizards! :D

Posted by: blackjack65 | November 7, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

wow I just saw the replay of Flash's shot in the first period, the guy has been playing so well and has so much bad luck /cry

Posted by: breaklance | November 7, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

put Nyls at D, lol

Posted by: sargeantmofo | November 7, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Rod Langway will suit up...

Posted by: SA-Town | November 7, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

@breaklance

Don't worry too much about Flash. Believe he's on the first line to stay even when Ovi's back. In any case, hope the first line starts getting something again.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 7, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

@blackjack65

Unless someone goes on LTIR. (Surprised Boyd Gordon isn't on that list yet.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 7, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Flash won't play on the first line--he's a left wing. But he should play on the second line, maybe as a fixture on the left of BMo and Knuble. I'd like to see that.

Posted by: Kirg | November 7, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Green's best game of the year...did you notice how good the defense was without him? And the PK too!??

And no schultz sealed the deal! I hope they are both out for the year!

Nice Job on the Win!!!

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

sinkingcaps: You can just tell by the name that you chose that you are going to be one of those posters that only have negative things to say. Sarcastic spins on what you just posted doesn't make it positive either. You are either a new fan, or not one at all because your statement that Green's play has gone down since he signed his big contract is completely erroneous. He signed his big contract PRIOR to last season. Yeah, google it mr doom and gloom, he signed his contract on July 1, 2008.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 7, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Where is everybody? The guys really stepped it up last night and played to the end. So where is the positive feedback after all of the criticism after Wednesday's game?

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 7, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

once you start feeling good after a player on the team that you supposedly cheer for gets hurt, you had better think about cheering for another team

maybe SinkingCaps's life is so PATHETIC that he rejoices in the misfortune of others

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I mean after the game with the Devil's

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 7, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns - You are so right, and the reason I am spending less and less time here. With all the whining, bashing, calls for trades, etc... there's just not much accurate, intelligent conversation to be had. Most of the crap is probably written by so-called "Caps fans", but whether they are actually "hockey fans" is doubtful in many cases. I'm trying to find blogs further north.

Posted by: gonchpup | November 7, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@ fanhock1

let him have it! enough with the negativity around here! =D

Posted by: spinner-33 | November 7, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

simply watching hockey doesn't make you an expert. that would be like watching surgery on the medical channel and thinking you can call yourself a doctor. it would be like filming yourself talk and thinking it makes you a tv reporter.

Posted by: spinner-33 | November 7, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

@ Capsyoungguns

I can't speak for the others on here but I don't get too excited after a regular season win unless it's agaisnt the flyers or the pens.

yes, it was a good win and I was very pleased to finally see some great effort on the PK - the kind of effort that we used to see from the great defensive Caps' teams of the past - but it was against a team that's probably not gonna make the playoffs this year.

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Good call on the date of the contract...I do need to do a better job on my research.

And no, I'm not a new fan, nor is this my first year liking the caps.

I just can't believe everyone is so blind of the fact that Green is hurting this team on defense and that other players are not doing this team any good.

Been a caps fan since day one...back in 74...

As you know, I think they need to play Nylander, even though I don't think he is that good...but we ARE paying him 4.5 mil (or something around that)....and it's killing the cap by NOT playing him and calling up others that are playing in his place.

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

theis is no frigging way you've been a fan of the Caps since 74... on top of everything you are a LIAR too

LMAO

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

and btw...that was a GREAT character win by the caps last night! ALL THE WAY AROUND!

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

once you're GLAD that any player on the team that you're a "fan" of is hurt, you've just STOPPED being a fan.

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Joe...it's true...

Long the days of watching Bernie Wolfe in net (red light Ron Low backing him up)...

Do you remember the white pants the caps use to wear? Ugly....

Don't be so quick to call me a liar...

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

i certainly don't like seeing guys get hurt...but you know, sometimes management won't do the right things...so I look for a little help...

I don't have to prove anything to you...this is a message board, and we are allowed to voice our opinions...

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

@joek443 - Caps' inaugural season was 1974-75. But I do agree - once you're glad a player on a team you're a "fan" of is hurt, you're no longer a fan. But you've had a lot of negative things to say in recent days, too.

@SinkingCaps - Shut up. Your statement hoping that Green and Schultz are out for the year was beyond the pale of rude. I'll tolerate rude, but NOT that.

Posted by: irockthered | November 7, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I was twice the caps fan most people on this blog were back in 74.... two cells rocking the red 10 years before I would be assembled.

Posted by: trunkenmath | November 7, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

@ irockthered

And no schultz sealed the deal! I hope they are both out for the year!

Nice Job on the Win!!!

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

there's a DIFFERENCE between being critical and being obnixous.

I've never hoped for someone breaking a leg and being out all year just to have my point acrossed

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey, as long as the caps win the cup, and injuries are not life/career threatening...that's fine with me.

Don't like seeing life altering injuries. But NOW you will see how awesome the caps defense will be without Green and Schultz...

The bottom line is...WIN THE CUP! I have waited a long time! And seeing newbies in our OWN division like Carolina and Tampa win it...makes me want the Cup more...

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Good points on the injuries. I would like the opportunity to scratch my hope that they are out for the year.

I really just hope Green gets his act together and becomes just 1/2 the player he was last REGULAR season.

Schultz...I just hope just simply asks Boudreau to stop playing him.

While it seems like saracasm...it's not.

Need better defense and goaltending to win the cup...everyone knows it...

Defense wins championships.

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

SinkingCaps - Hopefully, you won't suffer any life-altering injuries either... but maybe a bunch of broken fingers so we can have relief from your whack comments.

Posted by: gonchpup | November 7, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

too late now little man.. whatever credibility you had before, you just completely lost it when you hoped for season ending injuries on Green and Shultz

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Ok, that's fine...I can live with that.

and..hahahaha, that's very funny about me having some broken fingers...

Watch when the wins pile up with Green and Schultz out...you will see...maybe then you will see what a detriment both these players have been on the team this year.

And management figured it out last year after Schultz got completely undressed on the game winner in the playoffs...

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

What about the next game?
Will the lines be the same as at the end of last game?
Will there be a call up?
Will Theo be our goalie again or will Varly get the call today?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 7, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I 'am over Mike Green his defense is sub par,u guys that sweat him must wear the same tight a** Jonas Brother jeans he does.A bunch of toe touchers here not real hockey fans.

Posted by: coma47 | November 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Ron low wasthe starting goalie while he and Bernie overlapped. And the white pants experiment lasted only a few road games. It wasn't so much that they were ugly, it was that they got pretty dirty quickly and turned sorta brown. I think sinking caps fan needs to google some more caps trivia. While hes at it, may he canremember who Ron lows backup was in year one...guy never won a game.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

After tonight they don't have another game until Wednesday. Hopefully they can patch together a team for tonight and then get some guys healthy by Wednesday.

Posted by: grackle5 | November 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

SinkingCaps: If you have been a Caps fan for as long as you claim you've experienced teams with a shut down defense. It got us ZERO Stanley Cups. Now we have a dynamic defenseman, and a cast of forwards that can score. Those are 2 of the 4 ingredients needed for a Cup. 1 of the 2 still falling into place is goaltending and the last 5 or so games I believe our goaltending is solidifying right in front of our eyes. So that leaves a shut down defenseman. That is what we will shop for at the trade deadline. We have plenty of role players that are adequate at forward and defense. It's amazing you bash Schultz, he is the stereo-typical lanky defenseman that quietly gets the job done. He is maturing too, and I really hope he is back sooner than later.

By the way those of us that were not fans of the teams that Coffey and Bourque played on were in awe, and wished we had them. It has been noted in many articles that their hometown fans wanted their heads for their lack of defensive play. Well, they're in the HOF and Stanley Cup Champions. Yes, I put Mike Green in the same paragraph as Coffey and Bourque. He has already proven that he has their skill and play-making ability. Now it's whether he can sustain that play over a 15-20 year career.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 7, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I'd guess that Erskine skates and Sloan moves back to D to fill our six slots (I don't know about pairings).

That leaves a single open forward slot if they play like this:

Flash/Backs/Semin
Laich/BMo/Knuble
Laing/Stecks/Bradley
Clark/Perreault/ ?

Will be see Beagle coming down from Hershey? Seems like he's fit on the all Bear line. Go Bears!

Posted by: saintex | November 7, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Wait....that's not a Bear line...I've moved Sloan. Oh well...

Posted by: saintex | November 7, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

some people think Rod Langway or Scott Steven never made any mistakes when they played for the Caps or no forward ever made them look silly on defense

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

coma47: Wow, you are certainly showing that you are a youngster. The ONLY reason I know the Jonas brothers on on the planet is because my youngest niece in the family, she's 7, has a crush on one of them and asked for tickets for her birthday. I have forgotten more about hockey than you have even learned in your short life.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 7, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Stick with Theo!!!

Posted by: coma47 | November 7, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Hey SinkingCaps, maybe you think Ovie should stay out too since the Caps won without him. Look how great the offense was without the Great 8! By your sinking (and stinking) logic, this is what we should assume about the Caps---that any time players are injured and out for most or all of the game, and when the rest of the team steps up to the plate (please pardon the baseball reference there), then we should rejoice that nature has taken care of the management issues and learn from that! Sheesh! Gonchpup beat me to the punch with hoping your fingers would be broken so we don't have to read your posts anymore.

The win last night showed me that the Caps DO have depth on the team. They played so well that not once did I get that "sinking" feeling that they were going to flub the game.

I hope Greenie and Schultz are better soon and ready to play when the time is right. Same for Ovie. (Really hoping for Ovie by the 11th as I have tickets, but that's just plain selfish of me!)

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 7, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

maybe they think when Mike Bossy, Tim Kerr or Mario Lemieux scored all their goals against the Caps, Larry Murphy and Kevin Hatcher were out defending...

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

gota small kid lets battle bro been with the caps about28 yrs

Posted by: coma47 | November 7, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Do u know Haken Loob? fanohock1 no google

Posted by: coma47 | November 7, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hakan Loob... the greatest name in hockey history, also the only Swede to have scored over 50 goals in a season

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I would start Varly tonight. No need to work Theo two nights in a row especially in November and with a back up who's only lost one game.

I would also keep the Clark/Perrault/Sloan line intact. They've been really good together and I still have to do a double-take to make sure it is indeed Clarkie I'm seeing out there. A new lease on life for him!

Keep the other lines the same.

On D, The Big E goes back into the line-up with a Collins and Alzner call-up. To make space, Gordo and Fehr are moved to retroactive LTIR if they aren't there already.

Expect better resistance from the Cats tonight, but Caps prevail 4-3 when Perrault ends it in OT.

Posted by: IceNutz | November 7, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Yes its the greatest name in hockey history.Ur the man Joe

Posted by: coma47 | November 7, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Haken loob > Ron tugnutt? Hmmm...we may have to disagree!

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 7, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

TARIK...we need info!

Posted by: NatyBG | November 7, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

steve buckantz when he was the sportscaster on ch. 5 was fascinated with that name Hakan Loob... I remember him interviwing him when the flames were in town one year.

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

coma47: Yes, actually had a conversation with a Capitals Insider just the other day on here and Loob's name came up. Loob apparently doesn't throw around compliments but has great things to say about our #1 draft pick playing in the SEL, Marcus Johansson. Why would you bring up some player who left the league 20 years ago or so?

I saw players like Tony Esposito, Keith Magnuson, Stan Makita, and Bobby Hull (both as a Hawk and a visiting Jet when playing the WHA Chicago Cougars) LIVE. I saw Gordie Howe, Mark Howe, and Marty Howe all playing on the New England Whalers.

Yeah, I'm old. Loob left the NHL and headed back to Sweden way back when I was in my 20's. You are right, it is a cool hockey name.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 7, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse