Caps 5, Ducks 1

For about 40 minutes tonight, J-S Giguere looked like he might put an end the Caps' run. Unfortunately for him, there were 20 minutes left to play.

The Caps scored three times on three shots to open the third (all in the span of 2:30 seconds) and order was quickly restored at Verizon Center. Giguere looked a backup again, and the Caps' league leading offense, just as it has for most of January, was unstoppable again.

Check out my gamer here, then come on back for a few notes and quotes that didn't make the cut:

*The eight wins in a row matches the Caps' longest winning streak since they won 10 straight in 1983-84. (They've won eight in a row twice since then, most recently in 1988-89.)

*If you're Florida, Atlanta or Tampa Bay, what are you thinking right now? The Caps have a 21-point cushion in the division.

*On Tuesday, it was John Erskine ending a 109 game goal drought. Tonight, Shaone Morrisonn ended a 64 game stretch without a goal -- with a little help from an old friend. The puck went off of former Capitals defenseman Steve Eminger's skate. Afterward, I saw the two catching up outside of the visitors' dressing room.

*Between the second and third period, Boudreau said he implored his players to approach the final 20 minutes as if this were a playoff game.

"We knew we hadn't played a lot of real close games lately, this was a game that was like a playoff game for us," Boudreau said. "We [wanted to know] if we can play in a close game, get the lead, hold onto the lead, do those things. I thought we did a good job in the third period."

*Boudreau was pleased with the play of goalie Michal Neuvirth, who didn't face a whole lot of challenging shots tonight but was good when he needed to be. Since getting pulled in back-to-back games in the Florida earlier this month, the rookie has allowed three goals on 72 shots.

"I thought he was really good," Boudreau said. "He controlled everything, smothered pucks. We ended up with a lot of faceoffs in our zone, but we're one of the better faceoff teams. When you have that, it's to your advantage. Out of 30 shots, 15 he smothered for faceoffs, which is really good."

*Speaking of faceoffs, the Caps won 63 percent of their draws tonight. Brooks Laich led the way, winning five of six and Brendan Morrison, who won 10 of 15.

*The Caps took 49 shots on goal, their most since firing 50 in Atlanta last March. They also missed the net on 20 shots and had 12 blocked.

*Boudreau was singing Alexander Semin's praises tonight. The winger has five goals the past three games, points in seven straight and is consistently playing at a high level. I've seen just about all of his NHL games, and this past month has likely been his best.

"He's on a roll," Boudreau said. "He comes to play every night and he's doing it with a smile on his face, which is really good."

*The quote of the night, once again, belonged to Boudreau, who was talking about Ovechkin's crushing check Bobby Ryan early in the third period. "A hit, a lot of times, can be a crowd getter inter ...That's not even English. But you know what I'm talking about."

That's it from me tonight. Sounds like the Caps are have a very, very optional practice tomorrow. Boudreau said it might be just him and Braden Holtby.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 28, 2010; 12:17 AM ET
 | Tags: Anaheim Ducks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live game chat: Caps vs. Ducks
Next: Morning roundup: Caps win eighth straight

Comments

Check out Tarik, with the snazzy ledes two days in a row. First the Erskine comment, now this. Can he continue the streak?

Posted by: BigMogilny | January 28, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

They're unstoppable! And who still wants Neidermeyer? He looked his age tonight...

Posted by: CAP-lanta | January 28, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have the stat on how many goals in how many games for Semin since Flash became his center?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | January 27, 2010 11:31 PM

from what i could look up - flash played his first game at center against mon on jan 5th.
including that game:
semin:
12 games
11 goals
10 assists
10 +/-
i don't know how much of that comes from in game line changes (not with flash) or from pp/sh time
either way, he is on fire

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 28, 2010 12:11 AM

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 28, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Bah On one hand I am happy the streak continues, on the other I am angry at my luck.

If I watch the games, it is tight for the first 2 periods then when I have to walk to work they clean up in the 3rd.

If I don't watch the games, they score in the first or second when I could have watched.

I just can't catch a break here.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 28, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Caplanta - I agree, Nieds looked incredibly slow and average tonight. Count me in as one that would rather see a Staois or the like here for much less than a Nieds would command.

There are a ton of rumors flying around about the Caps right now and I'm going with nobody knows what the hell is going on because GMGM doesn't even tell his dog what he's thinking. Regardless I have all the faith in the world he'll do what's right for this team both this year and years to come.

I personally would like to see Phaneuf here but it depends on the cost. I'm not so sure he's gonna command as much as people think.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 28, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

NHL LINE PRODUCTION

Use this to find out what line or combination was most productive for the selected player or team.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | January 28, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

And, be sure to check out this page...

Among all the other goodies, you will find the ever popular "Salary per Point" and "Cap Hit per Point". Top Caps?

Sal/Pt - #2 Nick Backstrom - $14,655 per point

CapHit/Pt - #3 Tomas Fleischmann - $20,139 per point

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | January 28, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

@MetalCapsFan: Hahaha

On there they have "Top PP Line" and at #6 is "Green, Mike." They split O and D pairings, and since the Caps run 4 forwards he counts as his own line. He's beating the other Caps line on the list by a lot, presumably because we're always mixing it up!

Posted by: Raber | January 28, 2010 5:02 AM | Report abuse

@trunkenmath how about you watch the whole game, all the time, that works for me.

Posted by: Bagher | January 28, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

crowd getter inter. We need to use that.

Posted by: lornemyoung | January 28, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

No one is mentioning that Ovi's shot that beaned Hillen was deflected upward by Okposo's stick. I suppose it's a lot more interesting to readers that Hillen was hurt by Ovi's slapshot to the face.

Posted by: Sonyask

Dude, thank you for bringing that up! I saw the same thing, but no one mentioned it and when I brought it up to Caps fans at work they couldn't verify. I was beginning to think it was my imagination or something.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 28, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOO CAPS! Now lets shoot for the 10 game winning streak to be broken.The way the caps are play'n I dont see that being a hard task to take on.I'm not gonna jinx the team and come up with a number of how many games i think they'll take this thing but we are on a roll.Everybody is play'n and feeling it right now and its good to be a caps fan!Here's to varly getting well and if theo still cant go I say give holtby a shot to see what he's got.LETS GO CAP-I-TALS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | January 28, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Stop with the stats and how Niedermeyer looked.

There are many intangibles that come with Niedermeyer that NO OTHER Caps player has...

And that is...he is an EXPERIENCED WINNER.

The guy has won at EVERY level he has played at..

Memorial Cup (he was the MVP)
Olympics (Gold)
World JRs (Gold)
World Cup of HOckey (Gold)
World Championship (Gold)
Stanley Cup (Two different teams)

Conn Smythe Trophy
Norris Trophy

We aren't asking him to carry the team, we are asking him to be a solid contributor and leader...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 28, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I just can't catch a break here.

Posted by: trunkenmath

@trunkenmath, Please don't watch at all. You can tivo or watch highlights after the game. Do this for the Caps. :)

Posted by: GoEagles | January 28, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse